Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Zads has to be the most polarizing player this team has had in a loooooong time.

But the writing is on the wall. He just didnt develop into the player we had hoped he'd become and hes going to be asking for far too much money for 3rd pairing duties.

Do we really want our 3rd pairing making 10-11M? Because that's what will happen if we keep Zads around.

He needs to be moved. Simple as that really.
Z the most polarizing player!?! What about that Tyron Barbie fella everyone bandies about on here!?!

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
They can have up to 4M each for 3rd pair play. Still a fair margin under 10-11M.
EJ makes 6M. Theres no 4M coming from him.

Zads + EJ on the 3rd pairing will be a 10M duo at least.

It's just not going to work. Keeping Z around on 2nd pairing money to play 3rd pairing is how we'll get ourselves on cap trouble.

Joe needs to recognize the situation and just move on from Z. Or EJ but I dont think that will ever happen.

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
If we ever met the Oilers in the playoffs, I think having Z around and have him being on his game and keep McDavid in check for a game or two it worth it. Z has show he’s capable of doing that in the past.

Z to us is like what Chara is to Boston or Big Buf to the Jets. Yes, I’m being a bit of a fanboy. Always love the Adam Foote type of player.

Honestly I really do think Z need to stay on this team or we’ll regret it later.

Reactions: arun

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Those 3 guys are/were good at hockey.

He’s absolutely nothing like those 3 players.

More like Ulf Samuelsson.

LOL

giphy.gif

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Come on now...;_;

I know, I’m way off the mark.

Ulf had 5 seasons of 30 or more points and a 44 point season. Zadorov has never passed 20 points.

You just compared three all-stars and two of the best defensive players in the past 30 years to Zadorov. I don’t think I’m the one who’s talking crazy here.

Look, everybody knows I’m a size queen who loves the rough stuff.

Zadorov should be right up my alley, but he’s so damn stupid and inconsistent that I can’t appreciate the 1 or 2 good things he does each game.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Hypothetically, if Z signed a 4 x 4 deal, that’d be a solid and fair deal for both sides. Not anything crazy and certainly movable if need be. It likely would even return a decent/positive asset.
To me... $4m for Z is too much. He's a 4/5 who is really more suited to being a 5 and is destined to be a bottom pairing guy even in the near term. Right now the Avs are plenty fine on cap space to absorb it for a year or so, but shortly after that you don't want to be paying bottom pairing players $4m per.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
To me... $4m for Z is too much. He's a 4/5 who is really more suited to being a 5 and is destined to be a bottom pairing guy even in the near term. Right now the Avs are plenty fine on cap space to absorb it for a year or so, but shortly after that you don't want to be paying bottom pairing players $4m per.

upload_2019-11-20_9-37-7.gif

upload_2019-11-20_9-37-23.gif

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’d have no issue with a 2 year deal at 4M AAV for Z. Leave him unprotected and Seattle probably takes him anyway which is no issue from me.

If Seattle takes him he’s off the books before the Makar/Landy contracts. Either way he’s gone before Mackinnon’s next contract.

Reactions: Murzu

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I’d have no issue with a 2 year deal at 4M AAV for Z. Leave him unprotected and Seattle probably takes him anyway which is no issue from me.

If Seattle takes him he’s off the books before the Makar/Landy contracts. Either way he’s gone before Mackinnon’s next contract.

I guess I wouldnt hate it... Especially with Byram coming in on his ELC money and Timmins on his ELC.

But, I honestly think I'd rather have Graves at ~1.5M on the bottom pairing over Zadorov at ~4M or more playing that same role.

And seriously as soon as next year you're probably in that position where it is one or the other. Because next year you'll have:

Girard - Makar
Byram - EJ
Zadorov/Gravy - Cole

And on top of that you would have Timmins and Rosen who could easily be NHL guys by that time if they get a shot in the NHL this season. So maybe you dont even keep Graves around either or you do so as the #7D instead.

Long story short we just have a lot of options in the next couple years on Defense coming up, we know what Zads is right now and I dont think we need to be paying him 4M a year for the role he will fill when other guys could play that role for cheaper and quite possibly even be better at it.

Plus given how a lot of teams still overrate physicality a tonne(See Flames, Calgary), we could probably fetch a solid return for him this summer at the draft. Not 1st round pick or anything but something like a 2nd + B- prospect or along those lines. Which for a team that's already without a 2nd and a good chance we move more assets at the deadline to go on a run this year its probably a good idea to try and recover some of them again this offseason .

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I guess I wouldnt hate it... Especially with Byram coming in on his ELC money and Timmins on his ELC.

But, I honestly think I'd rather have Graves at ~1.5M on the bottom pairing over Zadorov at ~4M or more playing that same role.

And seriously as soon as next year you're probably in that position where it is one or the other. Because next year you'll have:

Girard - Makar
Byram - EJ
Zadorov/Gravy - Cole

And on top of that you would have Timmins and Rosen who could easily be NHL guys by that time if they get a shot in the NHL this season. So maybe you dont even keep Graves around either or you do so as the #7D instead.

Long story short we just have a lot of options in the next couple years on Defense coming up, we know what Zads is right now and I dont think we need to be paying him 4M a year for the role he will fill when other guys could play that role for cheaper and quite possibly even be better at it.

Plus given how a lot of teams still overrate physicality a tonne(See Flames, Calgary), we could probably fetch a solid return for him this summer at the draft. Not 1st round pick or anything but something like a 2nd + B- prospect or along those lines. Which for a team that's already without a 2nd and a good chance we move more assets at the deadline to go on a run this year its probably a good idea to try and recover some of them again this offseason .

No

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Zadorov is polarizing because of who he was traded for and his inconsistent play. I’d gladly keep him around at the right price, and if he gets taken in expansion, so be it. He’s not valuable enough that Sakic has to force a trade for fear of losing him for nothing in expansion.

Also, I’m not sure he’ll be taken in expansion. There was defense galore available for Las Vegas, but forwards were slim pickings. A player like Compher or Jost may be more enticing to Seattle (assuming the draft was today).

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
He’s prob gonna threaten khl if chosen in expansion and not get picked anyways

Timmins jost and compher are more likely to go imo

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He’s prob gonna threaten khl if chosen in expansion and not get picked anyways

Timmins jost and compher are more likely to go imo

Why would Z threaten expansion to stay on a team where he's destined to be on the bottom pairing and hasn't given him a long-term contract?

Though I agree Compher is a much more likely target. I personally believe that is who the Avs will end up losing.

Reactions: arun

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Cole comes off the books after next season, and maybe you move him this offseason with that year remaining.

Give his money to Z, and keep him for 4-5 years.

Makar's ELC is up after next year too, so that's probably where you have to trade EJ, to open up the $$$ for Makar.

2021/22 D

Byrum/Makar
G/Z
Timmins/Rosen

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Cole comes off the books after next season, and maybe you move him this offseason with that year remaining.

Give his money to Z, and keep him for 4-5 years.

Makar's ELC is up after next year too, so that's probably where you have to trade EJ, to open up the $$$ for Makar.

2021/22 D

Byrum/Makar
G/Z
Timmins/Rosen
That could be a good 6-pack for many years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad