Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion | give me Hall your players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Even if we aren't winning right now, I'm still 99.99999% sure we are going to make the playoff and before we start thinking about our off-season, i'd like us to do a trade a the deadline to bring F depth(and PK help).

Here is a list of couple of players I think we could target; (I didn't put the obvious player such as Kreider,Saad, Vantanen,etc. since we all heard about these possibility and I want to discuss other possibilities)

Offense Help :
- C.Smith - Nashville : 4 250 000 - Last year of the deal.
Pros :Would bring us the third line center we need and we could use him on the PK.
Cons : Nashville will probably still be fighthing for a playoff spot by the TDL
-T. Zajac - New Jersey : 5 575 000 - One year left after this year.
Pros : Would bring leadership, experience and help for ou third line.
Cons : longer deal, i'm not sure he would help us.

D Help :
- M.Scandella - Montreal - 4 000 000 - Last year of the deal.
Pros: Would give us better depth than what we have in the farm.
Cons: Not an upgrade on our 6D.

G Help:
- R.Miller - Anaheim - 1 125 000 - Last year of the deal.
Pros : Would give us a proven goalie if we still doubt Pavel or Grub. and we wouldn't have to pay a lot.
Cons : Not a starter anymore.
- R.Lehner/C.Cawford - Both in the last year of their deal.
Pros: Both proven NHL goalies.
Cons: In division trade

I might just quit watching hockey if Ryan Miller ever finds his way on to an Avs roster.

Oh he's definitely an issue. He just wasn't earlier because Makar was playing so insanely well that Graves didn't have to do much. But now Makar is leveling off a bit (and also getting a LOT more attention from the opposition) he's getting exposed. I know I seem like I'm slagging the guy but I remain a big fan. He's a perfectly good 6/7 guy, just like Nick Holden was, and unfortunately, like Holden, the Avs are overplaying him. He can't really make outlet passes, his defensive technique is poor, and he doesn't have the greatest instincts about jumping into the play.

If they can find a legit top-pairing guy for the right price, then get him. They can sort out Byram later (I mean, he's not going to be top pairing to start out his career).

The amount of people pencilling Byram into the top4 next year is concerning. I think henchy probably has the Avs outlook on their d corps pegged pretty well, but if they have a chance to acquire a legit top4 D without committing beyond 2-3 years I think they go for it.

If Byram or Timmins forces a guy out eventually then great, and if not then we’re not pissing away contending years. There will be some that disagree but I can’t see Sakic slow-burning this window, now that the roster is getting close.

There's really no evidence to suggest that. Personally I like Graves a lot better but he's not a massively better player than Holden was.

It’s like people don’t realize he’s still in the league and making a decent career for himself. If you’d told me 6/7 years ago that Holden would still be in the league in 2020 and playing significant minutes on a perennial contender I would’ve laughed you out of the room, but here we are.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I might just quit watching hockey if Ryan Miller ever finds his way on to an Avs roster.

The amount of people pencilling Byram into the top4 next year is concerning. I think henchy probably has the Avs outlook on their d corps pegged pretty well, but if they have a chance to acquire a legit top4 D without committing beyond 2-3 years I think they go for it.

If Byram or Timmins forces a guy out eventually then great, and if not then we’re not pissing away contending years. There will be some that disagree but I can’t see Sakic slow-burning this window, now that the roster is getting close.

It’s like people don’t realize he’s still in the league and making a decent career for himself. If you’d told me 6/7 years ago that Holden would still be in the league in 2020 and playing significant minutes on a perennial contender I would’ve laughed you out of the room, but here we are.

I’d agree with pencilling Byram in too early. Ideally we don’t overwhelm him, but rather give him a chance to get comfortable and succeed.

Hopefully the Avs are feeling the same, because we’ve seen what happens when Sakic and Bednar just hope the kids develop (the college boys)

Reactions: Barklez

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There's really no evidence to suggest that. Personally I like Graves a lot better but he's not a massively better player than Holden was.
He doesn't have the same lows as Holden. He's more reliable so far.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He doesn't have the same lows as Holden. He's more reliable so far.

I don't know if we've seen quite enough to make that determination. The one thing we know for sure is that both are being very much overplayed, and something has to be done about it. The Avs didn't have much of a choice under Roy with Holden, I think they do here...it just depends on what they want to do, and what price they're willing to pay.

I'll just remind everyone just in case that this is the opinion of someone who actually really likes Graves and never liked Holden.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
I agree Byram is 2ish seasons away from top pair. Is Brodin not better than a Murray/Savard? I think he has this year, and next year left.

Too costly to aquire?

Lehner would be awesome, feel like he'd go on a great run into the playoffs

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I agree Byram is 2ish seasons away from top pair. Is Brodin not better than a Murray/Savard? I think he has this year, and next year left.

Too costly to aquire?

Lehner would be awesome, feel like he'd go on a great run into the playoffs

I just don't see in-division trades happening, not in a bloodbath like the Central. That goes for Brodin, Zucker, Lehner, or even Perrault.

I'm still kinda shocked Zucker is there. If Fenton were still in charge, he wouldn't be.

Reactions: Balthazar

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I just don't see in-division trades happening, not in a bloodbath like the Central. That goes for Brodin, Zucker, Lehner, or even Perrault..
giphy.gif

Yep...stop lurking the Wild or the Preds. It's pointless.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Would anyone take a risk on Doughty at this point, based around a deal sending EJ back the other way to help offset the cap space. (also presuming that EJ has LA as one of the 19 teams he can be traded to?

On a contender, I wonder if Doughty can return to elite status.....but at the same time his age and what we are seeing with other 11 million dollar D men in the league...

Outside of Doughty on ice, it would have the effect of a jolt to the core and sending a signal that the team is for real about contending -- not being happy with the status quo right now...but?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Petry would fit really well on the avs

Sure but I wouldn't pay what Montreal would want for him. He peaked kind of late and I see him declining soon and probably real fast. Like a poor man's Giordano.

That said Bergevin should try real hard to sell him at the deadline. With 1.5 year left under contract his value will never be higher.

I think the price would be one of Timmins/Newhook + 1st

Last edited:

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Girard and Makar looked great together in last year’s playoffs, why did we give up on that? Spreading the talent around I guess

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Can Kreider fix the powerplay?

If they use him correctly, I definitely think he can help it quite a bit. He's a significantly better net front guy than Mikko, good at redirections, and gets on rebounds quick. It would also bump Rantanen back out to the right half wall.

Kreider as the net front, MacK in his spot, Rantanen off the other half wall, Makar on the point. They seem committed to running with a bumper, but the only guy that was remotely successful in that role was Wilson. Kadri is too much of a puck dominant player to make that quick play (redirection or pass). Not sure who could actually be a bumper since Wilson (RIP) is gone.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If they use him correctly, I definitely think he can help it quite a bit. He's a significantly better net front guy than Mikko, good at redirections, and gets on rebounds quick. It would also bump Rantanen back out to the right half wall.

Kreider as the net front, MacK in his spot, Rantanen off the other half wall, Makar on the point. They seem committed to running with a bumper, but the only guy that was remotely successful in that role was Wilson. Kadri is too much of a puck dominant player to make that quick play (redirection or pass). Not sure who could actually be a bumper since Wilson (RIP) is gone.

People don't like to hear it but Kerfoot was fine in that role, but the best one IMO was Big Carl.

Kadri has an insanely slow release, it's so agonizing to watch him slowly rotate, take aim, and fire. We know he has a great one-timer, not sure why he doesn't use it more.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
People don't like to hear it but Kerfoot was fine in that role, but the best one IMO was Big Carl.

Kadri has an insanely slow release, it's so agonizing to watch him slowly rotate, take aim, and fire. We know he has a great one-timer, not sure why he doesn't use it more.

I think part of it is handedness as well. We are so MacK dominant on the PP right now that I think you need a righty in the bumper spot. Makes it easier to kick it back to MacKinnon, and it's easier for that quick redirect on net.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Our PP personnel are fine, we don't need to add anyone on the ice, we just need to utilize them properly, which starts with firing our entire special teams staff
Can we just go back to the stacked PP instead of this spread out talent thing? Whoever thought that was a good idea? Just roll
Landeskog-Kadri-Rantanen
MacKinnon-Makar
And let them work through it.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Would anyone take a risk on Doughty at this point, based around a deal sending EJ back the other way to help offset the cap space. (also presuming that EJ has LA as one of the 19 teams he can be traded to?

On a contender, I wonder if Doughty can return to elite status.....but at the same time his age and what we are seeing with other 11 million dollar D men in the league...

Outside of Doughty on ice, it would have the effect of a jolt to the core and sending a signal that the team is for real about contending -- not being happy with the status quo right now...but?
I'd take Doughty but he has another 6 or 7 years left on his contract with a 11 mill per cap hit. Depends how he ages I guess, but for the next couple of years until Byram and Timmins are ready, I'd like to have Doughty. But what do you do when Byram and Timmins are ready to make the jump to NHL in a year or two?

Girard-Doughty
Graves-Makar
Z / Cole-EJ

In couple of years assuming one of Cole or Z wont be on the team.

Girard-Doughty
Byram-Makar
Cole/Z/Graves- EJ/ Timmins

I dont know how that would work

Edit: Also what would the Avs have to give up to get Doughty? He wouldn't come cheap.

1st, possibly Timmins and a roster player or another prospect. I dont think the Kings would be interested in EJ. They're in rebuilding process and would ask for picks and prospects or younger player from the roster

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille