Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion | give me Hall your players

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think they stick around with Z for the remainder of the season and move him while he's still an RFA. They likely want him for the playoffs.

Yup... traded at the draft is the most likely situation to me. Find a team with a Russian who is coming over who has a 2nd they'd want to give up and you have the basis of a deal. 2nd might be a tad high, but push for that.

Reactions: Pokecheque

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He isn't an ideal target, he's just one of @cgf 's crush. The ideal target is the other half of his D pairing.

Ah yes, the much more expensive one who can't play with Cale but would still require Newhook+ from us if they'll even settle for futures for him...yes absolutely ideal :sarcasm:

But I know better than to stand between you & your crushes ;-)

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Yup... traded at the draft is the most likely situation to me. Find a team with a Russian who is coming over who has a 2nd they'd want to give up and you have the basis of a deal. 2nd might be a tad high, but push for that.

Zadorov to either of the New York teams and out of the West would be fine with me.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
The Caps, Lightning, Bless and Bruins all spend 27-29 million on their defense. The Avs are currently at 25.7 and are at 17 next year with Zads, Barbi and Graves coming off the books. I really don't see giving Zads a 1.3 million dollar increase as a vast problem for this team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Caps, Lightning, Bless and Bruins all spend 27-29 million on their defense. The Avs are currently at 25.7 and are at 17 next year with Zads, Barbi and Graves coming off the books. I really don't see giving Zads a 1.3 million dollar increase as a vast problem for this team.

Next year it isn't... 2021 it certainly will be.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

They also already have a bunch of good dmen currently. We don’t have that luxury. At least not yet.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Zadorov to either of the New York teams and out of the West would be fine with me.
giphy.gif

Keep Zads in the west... with the Avs.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I'd be fine getting rid of Z since Graves sort of does what he can do minus the big booming check. I think the main thing we'd lose without Z is the intimidation factor. If Z can be part of a deal to score us a consistent 3C (Pageau) or a top 6 winger, I'd be all for it. With Byram and Timmins basically on the team next year some people will have to move out and it won't be Girard, Makar, or EJ.

Next year we'll be looking at...

Byram - Makar
Girard - EJ
Cole - Timmins

*Graves

It is missing a big booming checker imo, but that is some god damn skill.

Graves will be playing next year. Guaranteed.

Cole only has 1 year left on his deal. I'd expose EJ in the expansion draft and deal Cole for a bag of chips then extend Z longterm.

Byram- Makar
Girard - Graves
Z - Timmins

Graves would have to learn to play on the other side but he can do it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs simply aren't going to pay Z what he wants with term while having G and Byram around. Next year they also have Cole under contract and Graves has played his way into the coaching staff's hearts. If it was only 20-21, they could make it work... but 21-22 and on, there isn't a tenable solution that works for everybody.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'd love Murray, but people should really put their Columbus dreams on the back burner... They are in the thick of a playoff race and Jarmo isn't a GM to sell. He will add or make a hockey trade, but he isn't going to sell. If you want Murray, you're looking square at a Nieto + Z for Murray basis.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Long term, perhaps as soon as next year even that Left Side is pretty much entirely accounted for.

Byram
Girard
Graves

Its a young group but its a damn good one. Graves is a solid 3LD option. People have some issues with his game here but I think a big part of that is the role he's playing. He's not a Top pairing guy but as Makar's partner that's the role he's had to play this year. Get him into a more limited role with limited minutes and not asking him to do so much and he's a fine Defenseman. 12-13 minutes a night at even strength and 2-3 minutes of PK work a night and he should be fine. Especially when you consider the fact that Graves is likely looking at a 2-3 year deal in the 2-2.5M neighborhood this summer, while Zadorov is looking at likely double those numbers. The writing is on the wall on that one.

Where the conversation starts to get much more interesting right now, appears to be on the Right side. EJ is unfortunately starting to become more and more of an elephant in the room so to speak. By rights he shouldn't be anything more than a bottom pairing guy for this team going forward. But both he and Ian Cole are signed for next year and neither of them should be playing above the 3rd pairing. Which also leaves a gaping hole on that 2RD spot. A spot that I have little doubt is labeled for Timmins, but Timmins needs to show that he can stay healthy first before getting a crack at that spot and he cant do that while he's hurt.

It's why I really think the play for the Avs should be to target a Top 4 RHD that is signed for one more year after this year. A guy that can come in and stabalize the Top 4 for this year and next year, giving Timmins proper time to really continue progressing with the Eagles. Even as big of a Timmins fan as I am I would much rather the Avs take the patient and safe approach with him. Which for me would mean the rest of this year in the AHL, and starting next year in the AHL until the inevitable EJ injury occurs and Timmins can move up into the #3 RHD spot.

A guy like David Savard would be perfect for this team. As would a Jeff Petry, Josh Manson, Alec Martinez...

Girard - Savard
Graves - Makar
Zadorov - EJ
Cole

That Defense this year, and then next year you have:

Byram - Makar
Girard - Savard
Graves - EJ
Cole

With Timmins as first callup for injury.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Even if we aren't winning right now, I'm still 99.99999% sure we are going to make the playoff and before we start thinking about our off-season, i'd like us to do a trade a the deadline to bring F depth(and PK help).

Here is a list of couple of players I think we could target; (I didn't put the obvious player such as Kreider,Saad, Vantanen,etc. since we all heard about these possibility and I want to discuss other possibilities)

Offense Help :
- C.Smith - Nashville : 4 250 000 - Last year of the deal.
Pros :Would bring us the third line center we need and we could use him on the PK.
Cons : Nashville will probably still be fighthing for a playoff spot by the TDL
-T. Zajac - New Jersey : 5 575 000 - One year left after this year.
Pros : Would bring leadership, experience and help for ou third line.
Cons : longer deal, i'm not sure he would help us.

D Help :
- M.Scandella - Montreal - 4 000 000 - Last year of the deal.
Pros: Would give us better depth than what we have in the farm.
Cons: Not an upgrade on our 6D.

G Help:
- R.Miller - Anaheim - 1 125 000 - Last year of the deal.
Pros : Would give us a proven goalie if we still doubt Pavel or Grub. and we wouldn't have to pay a lot.
Cons : Not a starter anymore.
- R.Lehner/C.Cawford - Both in the last year of their deal.
Pros: Both proven NHL goalies.
Cons: In division trade

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I've accepted Z most likely won't be an Av for too many more seasons. If he is, awesome, but with what we have coming up and Z always being in limbo here I expect he'll move on.

I'll be the one man 'Traveling Z crew' show.

I love Z but I'm upset he never took the next step and have also come to realization that his days here are numbered, or they seem like it.

Reactions: Ararana and cgf

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We're not going to trade for a 1st pairing LHD. Long term this is Byram's spot.

I don't think Graves is an issue right now.

Oh he's definitely an issue. He just wasn't earlier because Makar was playing so insanely well that Graves didn't have to do much. But now Makar is leveling off a bit (and also getting a LOT more attention from the opposition) he's getting exposed. I know I seem like I'm slagging the guy but I remain a big fan. He's a perfectly good 6/7 guy, just like Nick Holden was, and unfortunately, like Holden, the Avs are overplaying him. He can't really make outlet passes, his defensive technique is poor, and he doesn't have the greatest instincts about jumping into the play.

If they can find a legit top-pairing guy for the right price, then get him. They can sort out Byram later (I mean, he's not going to be top pairing to start out his career).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We're not going to trade for a 1st pairing LHD. Long term this is Byram's spot.

I don't think Graves is an issue right now.
Doesn’t have to be a top pairing D, but it needs to be someone who is steadier than Ryan Graves. Someone who’s good defensively, let’s Cale do his thing and simply hands the puck off to Cale whenever he can. A Methot to Karlsson like situation.

Byram is not going to be a top pairing D for a long time and even when/if he is, he still may not be a good stylistic fit with Makar.

Reactions: Barklez

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Graves is a far better player than Holden ever was.

Graves can be a legit #5 and a guy that can carry a bottom pairing. His problem is he's being used like a #2 right now because we dont really have a better solution.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I ragged on Graves earlier, but he's made me eat a crow. Graves has his ups and downs, but he's been on an upwards trajectory since he joined the team. Regardless of what your opinion is of him, he's the best partner we have for Makar and he still plays better than EJ, Cole, and Z on most nights. This is partially because he's paired with Makar, but I trust Graves more than those 3 in our own zone to make an outlet pass.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Graves is a far better player than Holden ever was.

Graves can be a legit #5 and a guy that can carry a bottom pairing. His problem is he's being used like a #2 right now because we dont really have a better solution.

There's really no evidence to suggest that. Personally I like Graves a lot better but he's not a massively better player than Holden was.

Reactions: cgf and Barklez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce