Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion | give me Hall your players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
One has to wonder if Rants is affected in a similar way than Nylander was last year after missing camp. It seems like he's always a step behind with his execution. Him and Landy are literally costing Mack a chance at the Art Ross. Mack had way better stats playing with Donks and Bura.

On a side note, at which point should we start talking extension with Nuke?

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
One has to wonder if Rants is affected in a similar way than Nylander was last year after missing camp. It seems like he's always a step behind with his execution. Him and Landy are literally costing Mack a chance at the Art Ross. Mack had way better stats playing with Donks and Bura.
Rants was fine before he got hurt. Hasn't been the same since.

Landy hasn't been good all year. Actually looks like there's still something wrong with him. He's not hitting, he's super slow (won't convince me he lost 2 steps just from last year), and just doesn't look like the same player at all.

The 10 days off may help them both quite a bit.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Hockey Guy says Bednar is the 2nd most likely coach to get fired before the end of the season, just after Blashill in Detroit who's a dead man walking.

K65vXLH.png

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Really? I don't believe that. Bednars team always have this downtime but then bounce back.

I hope not, i quite like Bednar. Not his fault Rantanen cant buy a goal currently, even from breakaway. I just watched the highlights against Sharks, and even though the shot differential was like 38:27, so not overly dramatic, the video was like from 90 percent about Avs on the puck, trying to score goal. I think that is testament that he is doing decent job, they outplayed Dallas as well, were just unlucky. Once Landeskog and Rantanen (and Kadri, Donskoi, Burakovsky) find their scoring touch again, the team will be fine.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

On a side note, at which point should we start talking extension with Nuke?
Great news about Nuke is that he’s a RFA without arbitration so the nego can start in the offseason.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Bednar shown the door when he was one period away from the Western Conference Finals last season, and has the Avs tied for 2nd in the Central?

How much better are we expecting the Avs to be.

The team is basically made up of:

-The 2nd best player in the world.
-Two superstar wingers who look to be playing very injured.
-One other legit top-6 player.
-Three inconsistent top-9 forwards
-Great group of 4th liners.
-Jost

-Two 21 year old defencemen who look in over their head any given night.
-Four bottom pairing defensive defencemen who can’t move the puck to save their life.

-Two inconsistent goalies.

The only way this team reaches another level is if the goaltending figures it out, and Girard, Makar, Rantanen, Kadri, and Landeskog all start playing their best hockey the same time.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Bednar and Boudreau are tied for the 6th most tenured coaches in the NHL. Torts and Sullivan are ahead of them but were mid season replacement on their teams. Blashill, Maurice, and Cooper are the only 3 NHL coaches with a full season more with their team that Bednar. NHL coaches really tend to have short shelf lives even with success. I'd say Blashill and Maurice are more on the hot seat than Bednar, but Bednar's tenure is getting up there and expectations are setting in. Once a coach disappoints on expectations, the clock starts ticking.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'd say Bednar's job was completely safe if there weren't suddenly a plethora of arguably better options on the market

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Whatever it is that Landeskog is playing through, he needs to be given some time off to figure it out. He's been a shell of himself this season. He lost the puck on 3-4 different occasions on the powerplay alone last night.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The only way Bednar loses his job IMO is if the Avs doesn't make it out of the 1st round. Even if they lose in the 2nd round I think Sakic will start the season with him and then make a change if they regress a bit at the start.

With that said Bednar is far from the main problem with this team. The team is still playing very well and is obviously still playing for the guy. In the last 7 games they 3-2-2 but they only played bad against the Rangers. All other games they were dominating and should have won. This is just a slump like all teams go through. It just seems to always happen in Dec/Jan. They are were they are in the standing regardless of playing arguably the hardest schedule of all teams. Look at what he is getting out of all their summer acquisitions, Graves and that D in general. He is still doing great. I get the long shelf argument and agree with it in principal but IMO Sakic and the players still love him a lot so he is not going anywhere for a while yet.

Reactions: Barklez and cgf

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Nuke is jammin. Love his game, sign him up. I think wed protect him in expansion.

Huge Z homer. His play is leaving a lot to be desired tho. I can kind of see the writing on the wall and it sucks.
Especially sucks with him gone, we have JTC and AJG left from losing ROR.
SMH

Reactions: AvsGuy

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'd say Bednar's job was completely safe if there weren't suddenly a plethora of arguably better options on the market

One is enough

Of course there's the question of whether or not the Avs will pony up for any big-ticket names.

This is the NHL, so whether you like or dislike the job Bednar has done, it's the nature of the beast. In a league where a guy gets shitcanned after two WILDLY successful seasons, a trip to the Stanley Cup Final his (and the franchise's) very first season, and has them still within striking distance of a division title, no one is safe.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The only way Bednar loses his job IMO is if the Avs doesn't make it out of the 1st round. Even if they lose in the 2nd round I think Sakic will start the season with him and then make a change if they regress a bit at the start.

With that said Bednar is far from the main problem with this team. The team is still playing very well and is obviously still playing for the guy. In the last 7 games they 3-2-2 but they only played bad against the Rangers. All other games they were dominating and should have won. This is just a slump like all teams go through. It just seems to always happen in Dec/Jan. They are were they are in the standing regardless of playing arguably the hardest schedule of all teams. Look at what he is getting out of all their summer acquisitions, Graves and that D in general. He is still doing great. I get the long shelf argument and agree with it in principal but IMO Sakic and the players still love him a lot so he is not going anywhere for a while yet.

If last season's slump weren't 95% on the goaltending falling apart; I'd start to wonder if our core being so young, they hit the holidays/NYE hard and that was why they needed longer before they could get back to 100% sharpness than more veteran teams returning from breaks...

But that narrative just doesn't hold up when the team is still playing well, even if they aren't resulting well.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
If the Avs miss the playoffs, yeah, he's gone.

If they don't make it out of the first round, I think there'll be some shuffling of assistants but he'll probably keep his job.

Anything beyond that, pretty sure he stays.

I'm just glad the Avs have a GM who doesn't buy into narratives or makes knee-jerk reactions. Everyone was screaming at him to fire Bednar after the Season of Fail, and he didn't.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Even though I don’t think Bednar is on the hot seat, I understand the logic. This was supposed to be a big year for the Avs, but the team has had two prolonged losing streaks that have put the heat on them. If they lose in the first round or miss the playoffs entirely, Bednar could be in trouble.

Interestingly, Bednar was a miracle man when the roster was a walking medical ward, which was the period of time no one would have faulted the team for struggling.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If the Avs miss the playoffs, yeah, he's gone.

If they don't make it out of the first round, I think there'll be some shuffling of assistants but he'll probably keep his job.

Anything beyond that, pretty sure he stays.

I'm just glad the Avs have a GM who doesn't buy into narratives or makes knee-jerk reactions. Everyone was screaming at him to fire Bednar after the Season of Fail, and he didn't.
Almost everyone...there were still very few of us that wanted to see what he could do with the type of players he likes for his system.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Almost everyone...there were still very few of us that wanted to see what he could do with the type of players he likes for his system.

FWIW some of us who thought he had to be replaced didn't necessarily think he was Sacco 2.0; it's just that from the outside we couldn't know that they hadn't lost the core the way he had lost the old-farts...which he did at a rather unprecedented speed. When you lose the room, it doesn't matter how brilliant a coach's tactics, in-game instincts or strategic understanding of the sport...and (at the time, from the outside) it looked like Bednar had lost the entire room; which is rarely fixable.

I'm thrilled that it worked out as well as it has, but I don't think hindsight has made that decision any less of gamble & I'm pretty sure that it ends in disaster more often than not even with the knowledge that he still had full buy-in from core kids after the vets had already packed it in. That toxicity is really hard to eradicate once it's been planted, and even if the kids didn't buy it at the time that Bednar-doubt is quite likely still there in the backs of their minds...despite everything that's happened since then to earn their trust.

Reactions: RockLobster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->