Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion | give me Hall your players

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Don't worry, his brother is going to be drafted. Probably not as good as Kirby, but I see him as a top 50 prospect at this current point of time.
tenor.gif

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Before trading Z I'd like to see him on forward lol just to see him and Nuke forechecking together.

Roll into playoffs..

Mikko - Mack - Donk
Landy - JPG - Bura
Big Z - Kadri - Nuke lol look out
Calvert - Belly - Nieto

Brodin - Makar
Girard - EJ
Byram/Graves - Cole

Not sure I'd we would get both JPG and Brodin. Or if we should shed Comph and Jost.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Is that where the Z to Toronto rumor comes from? Because if so that's pure speculations and it's "Zadorov or Cole".

7 Maple Leafs trade targets who could help shore up the blue line - Sportsnet.ca

I remember AJ on the DNVR pod saying one time that Z was interested in a trade last year, but I guess nothing came of it. Honestly, the Avs management and Z have a bad relationship on and off the ice. He is either getting randomly benched during the season or going through hell in contract negotiations. Either way I kind of feel this is his last year on the team.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
I'd be fine getting rid of Z since Graves sort of does what he can do minus the big booming check. I think the main thing we'd lose without Z is the intimidation factor. If Z can be part of a deal to score us a consistent 3C (Pageau) or a top 6 winger, I'd be all for it. With Byram and Timmins basically on the team next year some people will have to move out and it won't be Girard, Makar, or EJ.

Next year we'll be looking at...

Byram - Makar
Girard - EJ
Cole - Timmins

*Graves

It is missing a big booming checker imo, but that is some god damn skill.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I mean, hey, if you can get him for next-to-nothing, great...I just don't know if there's a price low enough to justify the 10 games total he's going to play for the Avs.

FTR I get there is no ideal candidate out there, but Murray just doesn't do anything to excite me.

Unfortunately I get the sinking feeling the Avs already have their own version of Ryan Murray in the minors.

Are we being serious or just making jokes? Because if we're being serious you're over-stating his injury proness, if we're still just joking around like we do with EJ's health, then ignore these next couple of paragraphs.

Discounting the strike-shortened season Murray has averaged over 60 games a year in the NHL; 308 regular-season games in 5 seasons. That's a few games less than EJ's been giving us; except when Murray's been healthy he's actually done a good job of eating big minutes...and not just at the start of the season; Murray has come back from injuries & continued playing well from many of his smaller injuries; something that is rarely true of EJ's returns from IR.

Then I think about how his game should fit next to Cale's and I like the conclusions that leads me to. As he should (on paper) fit next to Cale beautifully given that (when healthy) he is basically a suped-up Graves sans the stupid turnovers...a better skater, better passer & more reliable decision-maker, who can play the cleaner-upper role for Cale.

Throw in that with another year on his contract, he'd help smooth the transition to Byram; as Bo could start next season in a lesser role and work his way up to replacing Graves as the fill-in next to Cale when Murray gets hurt again. And again I like the fit, this time from a cap/timeline POV.

So if the acquisition cost is something like Ranta + conditional 1st/2nd/4th (depending on % of our playoff games he plays in/our PO progress) -- which the CBJ fans found reasonable last time I brought it up with them -- I'm perfectly happy to pay it.

...provided we can still bolster our forward core with our remaining B-futures. Which should be doable as Ranta's absence isn't likely to make or break any further deal for Pageau/Danault.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Are we being serious or just making jokes? Because if we're being serious you're over-stating his injury proness, if we're still just joking around like we do with EJ's health, then ignore these next couple of paragraphs.

Discounting the strike-shortened season Murray has averaged over 60 games a year in the NHL; 308 regular-season games in 5 seasons. That's a few games less than EJ's been giving us; except when Murray's been healthy he's actually done a good job of eating big minutes...and not just at the start of the season; Murray has come back from injuries & continued playing well from many of his smaller injuries; something that is rarely true of EJ's returns from IR.

Then I think about how his game should fit next to Cale's and I like the conclusions that leads me to. As he should (on paper) fit next to Cale beautifully given that (when healthy) he is basically a suped-up Graves sans the stupid turnovers...a better skater, better passer & more reliable decision-maker, who can play the cleaner-upper role for Cale.

Throw in that with another year on his contract, he'd help smooth the transition to Byram; as Bo could start next season in a lesser role and work his way up to filling in next to Cale when Murray gets hurt again. And again I really like the fit, this time from a cap/timeline POV.

So if the acquisition cost is something like Ranta + conditional 1st/2nd/4th (depending on % of our playoff games he plays in) -- which the CBJ fans found reasonable last time I brought it up with them -- I'm perfectly happy to pay it.

...provided we can still bolster our forward core with our remaining B-futures. Which should be doable as Ranta's absence isn't likely to make or break any further deal for Pageau/Danault.

Well, if I'm not communicating my point clearly (wouldn't be the first time) then I apologize. I am not at all against the acquisition of Murray, but I'm not crazy about it either. I feel like there are better options, but admittedly they might be more costly.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd love Murray, but people should really put their Columbus dreams on the back burner... They are in the thick of a playoff race and Jarmo isn't a GM to sell. He will add or make a hockey trade, but he isn't going to sell. If you want Murray, you're looking square at a Nieto + Z for Murray basis.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd love Murray, but people should really put their Columbus dreams on the back burner... They are in the thick of a playoff race and Jarmo isn't a GM to sell. He will add or make a hockey trade, but he isn't going to sell. If you want Murray, you're looking square at a Nieto + Z for Murray basis.

Unfortunately, you're right about the likely desire for a hockey trade unless they fall out of things by the time Murray is back on the ice or want some ammo to spend at the TDL themselves.

But with their kids' strong play demanding more PT, being a big part of why selling Murray makes sense for them...why would they want Z? I could get it if you said someone like Jimmothy/Bura, but what would they do with Z? Plant him on the 3rd pairing & deal with the same RFA dilemma that we'd be avoiding?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well, if I'm not communicating my point clearly (wouldn't be the first time) then I apologize. I am not at all against the acquisition of Murray, but I'm not crazy about it either. I feel like there are better options, but admittedly they might be more costly.

Oh, he's not someone I'd be going nuts over, but I think the price I mentioned was reasonable enough for me to quietly fistpump if I read that it went down IRL.

Enough of an upgrade over Graves to warrant acquiring, but not a potential roadblock to Byram whose contract could become a nuisance down the road; is a tricky needle to thread...especially if we wanted someone with another year under contract to hand the post off to Bo.

Reactions: Pokecheque

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
He’s also very clearly not the answer. Unfortunately.
And trading him, is? We barely hit as it is. Getting rid of our only real physical presence would be a mistake and create an even bigger hole. Special teams is the biggest problem this team has. Blowing lead is directly related to special teams. Our team is scared to take a penalty and can't score on the PP. I like Bednar, but I think either him or at least the assistant coaches have to go.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
And trading him, is? We barely hit as it is. Getting rid of our only real physical presence would be a mistake and create an even bigger hole. Special teams is the biggest problem this team has. Blowing lead is directly related to special teams. Our team is scared to take a penalty and can't score on the PP. I like Bednar, but I think either him or at least the assistant coaches have to go.

Well if Zadorov is asking for 4.5mil+ that’s where the issues are. I don’t have an issue with Z the player, but he will be asking for more money than he is worth and that will be an issue for keeping him around

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Well if Zadorov is asking for 4.5mil+ that’s where the issues are. I don’t have an issue with Z the player, but he will be asking for more money than he is worth and that will be an issue for keeping him around
With Barbi coming off the books and the ever increasing salary cap I'd fine with over paying Zads a bit.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Unfortunately, you're right about the likely desire for a hockey trade unless they fall out of things by the time Murray is back on the ice or want some ammo to spend at the TDL themselves.

But with their kids' strong play demanding more PT, being a big part of why selling Murray makes sense for them...why would they want Z? I could get it if you said someone like Jimmothy/Bura, but what would they do with Z? Plant him on the 3rd pairing & deal with the same RFA dilemma that we'd be avoiding?

They'll want to go into the playoffs with 7 or 8 defensemen they feel comfortable with. If they send off Murray, they are down to the 6 they are rolling now, Kukan (who they have traded to upgrade before) and Peeke who needs seasoning. Not sure they'd really care about Z's RFA status plenty of cap room and good contracts on defense where his ~2-3 year deal would be manageable and would help Gavrikov, Marchenko, and Voronkov transition.

Reactions: cgf

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
With Barbi coming off the books and the ever increasing salary cap I'd fine with over paying Zads a bit.

It's a tough decision. He adds an element we lack in, but as a contender you can't be paying a bottom pairing dman 2nd pairing money. Especially when he is inconsistent defensively and a complete non factor offensively.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

If we didn't have Byram coming up, Girard around, and didn't have EJ's anchor contract, it would be more amenable to have Z stick around if overpaid... with EJ and Cole with Z... you're looking at ~15m to pay your 4-6 defensemen.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Problem for Toronto is they have zero cap space, and everyone knows it. Any trade they make they are going to pay heavily for a quality Dman. They will have to give up a good player with a higher cap hit to break even, or they are going to have to give up a combo of a top prospect and high pick to get the team they are trading with to retain a good chunk of salary.

I'd gladly trade them Cole + 50% retained for Kapanen.

Reactions: AvsGuy

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If we didn't have Byram coming up, Girard around, and didn't have EJ's anchor contract, it would be more amenable to have Z stick around if overpaid... with EJ and Cole with Z... you're looking at ~15m to pay your 4-6 defensemen.

Yup. Now if we got rid of EJ and Cole(which just isn't happening) than I'd be more than ok with keeping Z. In fact I think that's what I would prefer to do due to Z being significantly younger than than those two. But I don't see that happening and Z's time here is probably numbered.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
It's a tough decision. He adds an element we lack in, but as a contender you can't be paying a bottom pairing dman 2nd pairing money. Especially when he is inconsistent defensively and a complete non factor offensively.
As a contender I think having a guy that ups his play in the playoffs is perfectly fine even if he's overpaid a bit. We'll also have the luxury of having Byram and Makar on ELCs. We could also offload Cole if we really had too as well. I think if the goal is to win in the short term than keeping Zads is absolutely necessary unless we can aquire another physical presence, but in that scenario we might as well keep Zads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00