Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion | give me Hall your players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Sakic please do something like

1st 2020+1st 2021 + Zadorov +Kamenev or Jost
For

Manson
Rakell

Or
Vatanen
Coleman/Zacha/Woods

Last edited:
Reactions: AvsGuy

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’m willing to give Kamanev an opportunity over the next month to see if he’s actually as good and consistent as he has appeared every time he steps into the lineup. The Jost experiment is dead please. He’s not going to be our 3C. Try Kamenev and if he’s over his head, grab one at the deadline. Give a Nuke-Kam-Compher line a look.

Same thing with goaltending. Ride Frankie and let’s see how we feel at the deadline.

One position that’s 100% clear that can’t be filled internally is a partner for Cale Makar. He hasn’t had one that worked yet. I would love to see Sakic address this right away.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Kreider will be a great fit for the Avs if traded there. Think of the element that Landeskog brings to the team, Kreider brings some of the same, but is a different element all together. One of the fastest in the league, and one of the strongest. Playoff warrior and comes up big whenever he needs to. Leads the league in tipped goals since 2015 as well and is a fantastic net front presence. He’s frustrating with his inconsistency and low IQ, but he might be the most unique player in the league with the way he plays the game. Also a corsi monster. Would be the perfect fit imo. 1st+Kaut maybe?

And what element is that, exactly?

humbury8

Jul 1, 2019
Without EJ we were 6-1-1, since he's back in the lineup we are 3-6-3. I don't say it is his fault but it is weird for sure. I wish we had Weber instead of him.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I really can't stomach the thought of having to insert Erik Johnson into this lineup for another 3 years. The wheels have rusted and fallen off, and his contract is an immovable albatross.

I hope Sakic has a heart-to-heart with the guy to see if there's any chance he'd waive for a fresh start in Seattle, if they'd even take him.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The killer with EJ is definitely loyalty. He stood strong and was Mr. Avalanche during the dark years. I’d say even more so than Landy. Now that the Avalanche are good I don’t think Sakic would even consider asking him to waive a clause to be moved.

If the Avs magically won a cup this year I could see it in the offseason. He got his championship. But I don’t see a cup happening and I don’t see Sakic moving him while we’re right on the cusp of contending.

I think EJ is Byram’s partner all next season.

Reactions: cgf

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
They wouldnt take him^

I still dont think he's anywhere near that level of bad. Overpaid no question and it's gonna be ugly in 2 years time. But right now I still think he can be a solid #4 for us.

His problem and it's the same problem with all of our Dmen, is that he's playing a spot or two higher than he should be.

He's not the 22-23 minute a night guy he was 3 years ago. But limit his minutes to ~17-18 and not matching up against the other teams best guys and I still think he's a useful NHLer. Problem is we don't have anyone else to play his minutes better. Cole, Graves, and Zadorov are not the solutions at all.

Reactions: obZen

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They wouldnt take him^

I still dont think he's anywhere near that level of bad. Overpaid no question and it's gonna be ugly in 2 years time. But right now I still think he can be a solid #4 for us.

His problem and it's the same problem with all of our Dmen, is that he's playing a spot or two higher than he should be.

He's not the 22-23 minute a night guy he was 3 years ago. But limit his minutes to ~17-18 and not matching up against the other teams best guys and I still think he's a useful NHLer. Problem is we don't have anyone else to play his minutes better. Cole, Graves, and Zadorov are not the solutions at all.

He can’t be that guy anymore. Now it’s not just a speed issue. He’s getting pushed around and muscled off pucks regularly. It’s really tough to see but I’m really starting to wonder if he can be a third pairing defender at this point.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
What sucks about EJ is that he’s already getting the limited minutes since being reinserted back into the lineup.

Since coming back in mid December, only Cole and Zadorov have played less 5v5 minutes per game than EJ. The last two games Zadorov has gotten more ice time too which leaves Cole as the only defenseman playing less. He’s getting #5D minutes with PK time and he’s still struggling mightily.

He’s getting limited minutes. He just can’t skate with today’s NHL.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Crazy part is with all the cap room and flexibility we have (had?), next year we'll be investing over $10 million in 2 defenders who shouldn't be in our lineup

Barf

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Go get Pageau and hell throw in DeMelo if need be.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Burakovsky - Kadri - Donskoi
Nichuskin - Pageau - Compher
Calvert - Bellemare - Nieto

Graves (yuck) - Makar
Girard - DeMelo
Zadorov/Cole - Johnson

I really, really think Ryan Graves being attached to the hip of Cale Makar is going to hurt us this year.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Crazy part is with all the cap room and flexibility we have (had?), next year we'll be investing over $10 million in 2 defenders who shouldn't be in our lineup

Barf

On the bright side I was able to entice a team in NHL20 to give me a 1st and 2nd rd pick for EJ and that pick turned out to be the 11th OA in the following draft lol. :) And I didnt have to retain any $$$$. Double score

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He just can’t skate with today’s NHL.

It is really quite amazing the difference in skating over the past 5-10 years. So many players today are high, high end skaters where they would have been far and away the best skater in the NHL in 2009. Just watching Miro last night, you see he's a high end skater and it is such a big part of his game. I'm not sure there were more than 2 better pure skating defensemen in the league in 2009... now I look across the NHL and there are probably 10+ who could legitimately be put higher. To be average in the NHL now, you have to be very, very good. If you're not, you're being left in the dust.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It is really quite amazing the difference in skating over the past 5-10 years. So many players today are high, high end skaters where they would have been far and away the best skater in the NHL in 2009. Just watching Miro last night, you see he's a high end skater and it is such a big part of his game. I'm not sure there were more than 2 better pure skating defensemen in the league in 2009... now I look across the NHL and there are probably 10+ who could legitimately be put higher. To be average in the NHL now, you have to be very, very good. If you're not, you're being left in the dust.
Yup. It’s why players drop off so quick. Once upon a time once you started slowing down your game would slow down with it but it took a longer time to happen because the league itself never changed much.

Nowadays when players slow down, the rest of the league is actually still speeding up so it’s a double negative.

For every step you lose, the league gains one. So instead of losing “a step” these days, you lose two steps.

Reactions: henchman21 and cgf

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The whole Gallant situation got me thinking about a guy whose career he helped turned around. Bill Karlsson played a very very very similar game to Tyson Jost before being coached by Gallant. Constantly trying to use speed and strength to edge out defenders despite not really being faster or stronger than anyone. He played deep in the offensive zone but since Gallant took over he tends to play way higher and less time away from the walls. I think Jost is a lost cause but some changes to the way he plays might at least make him an NHLer.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sakic please do something like

1st 2020+1st 2021 + Zadorov +Kamenev or Jost
For

Manson
Rakell

Or
Vatanen
Coleman/Zacha/Woods
tenor.gif

And what element is that, exactly?

Sex appeal.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What sucks about EJ is that he’s already getting the limited minutes since being reinserted back into the lineup.

Since coming back in mid December, only Cole and Zadorov have played less 5v5 minutes per game than EJ. The last two games Zadorov has gotten more ice time too which leaves Cole as the only defenseman playing less. He’s getting #5D minutes with PK time and he’s still struggling mightily.

He’s getting limited minutes. He just can’t skate with today’s NHL.

Nonsense, I was told repeatedly that EJ was still our "real #1" and perfectly capable of continuing to carry that load. :sarcasm:

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Zadorov is being tied to trade rumours with Toronto.

half the league is also tied to Toronto right now, but I think a Zadorov trade makes sense. It might hurt us in the playoffs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad