Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This is why I'm thinking a trade for Kovalchuk is a strong possibility. We were also one of the teams rumored to be interested when he came over from the KHL. I wouldn't be against this if it came cheap and didn't prevent us from making a better move, which is a huge hypothetical. I don't relish the idea of trading Dillon at the moment, our d has just started playing better than dog**** and he'll have much more value closer to the deadline if need be. We could trade/demote enough space for Kovy pretty easily if he came in at 50% without moving Dillon.

The only other option is Melker or Joe and I can’t see them moving either for obvious reasons.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Re: Simek

He definitely helps the sharks d core.

He is due for a little respect with the minutes he is getting and the plays he makes.

Very solid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Phu

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
I was just talking about this with my buddy and I think we all get it

you sign him sooner then later I don’t see a way we keep Dillion

also realistically for a move out salary and bring someone and he’s likely the piece that would be the best to move out and maybe go to a team who has a shot at resigning him and get some forward help along the way

he still has a long way to go to prove he’s not gonna have that sophomore setback but given the injury and starting off hard it’s great but we still got a ways to go but these are kind of those moments when Wilson takes that gamble and give them that deal that could set them up for life 34 years few million a year and maybe him
And agent n jump on it If he enjoys it here

At this point anything can happen his injury could reaggravated or he could Regreso Doug Wilson jumps on it and give them a multi year deal in the 10 range or so or maybe even less he’s going to go for it

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I was just talking about this with my buddy and I think we all get it

you sign him sooner then later I don’t see a way we keep Dillion

also realistically for a move out salary and bring someone and he’s likely the piece that would be the best to move out and maybe go to a team who has a shot at resigning him and get some forward help along the way

he still has a long way to go to prove he’s not gonna have that sophomore setback but given the injury and starting off hard it’s great but we still got a ways to go but these are kind of those moments when Wilson takes that gamble and give them that deal that could set them up for life 34 years few million a year and maybe him
And agent n jump on it If he enjoys it here

At this point anything can happen his injury could reaggravated or he could Regreso Doug Wilson jumps on it and give them a multi year deal in the 10 range or so or maybe even less he’s going to go for it
At this point he's healed enough that anything he does to his knee isn't a reaggravation, it's a new injury. He was also reported to have rehabbed incredibly hard. He doesn't look like he's having any difficulties at all. I would have no problem once Ferraro heals going with those 2 as the top 2 LDs next season. This season though they need either Vlassic or Dillon in the line up for their depth. Obviously this team has seen recently just how much depth you need to make a run. With the D-core they have they can probably afford to trade Dillon and go with Prout. Maybe even trade Vlassic (if he's willing) but if they want to contend a motivated Vlassic would be far more beneficial. Last few games he's been incredibly good with EK65. Those 2 are finally looking like something that could turn into the best D-pair in the NHL.

Reactions: Phu

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
At this point he's healed enough that anything he does to his knee isn't a reaggravation, it's a new injury. He was also reported to have rehabbed incredibly hard. He doesn't look like he's having any difficulties at all. I would have no problem once Ferraro heals going with those 2 as the top 2 LDs next season. This season though they need either Vlassic or Dillon in the line up for their depth. Obviously this team has seen recently just how much depth you need to make a run. With the D-core they have they can probably afford to trade Dillon and go with Prout. Maybe even trade Vlassic (if he's willing) but if they want to contend a motivated Vlassic would be far more beneficial. Last few games he's been incredibly good with EK65. Those 2 are finally looking like something that could turn into the best D-pair in the NHL.

The bolded isn't true (it's only been 8 months since the injury), but I generally agree with the rest. I'm hesitant to put a sophomore Ferraro in a permanent Top-4 slot, so ideally I'd prefer to go with Simek, Ferraro, and Dillon as the LDs next season. But Dillon is obviously easier to trade than Vlasic. :(

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
This is why I'm thinking a trade for Kovalchuk is a strong possibility. We were also one of the teams rumored to be interested when he came over from the KHL. I wouldn't be against this if it came cheap and didn't prevent us from making a better move, which is a huge hypothetical. I don't relish the idea of trading Dillon at the moment, our d has just started playing better than dog**** and he'll have much more value closer to the deadline if need be. We could trade/demote enough space for Kovy pretty easily if he came in at 50% without moving Dillon.

Cap hit aside, and I don’t think that would be a huge issue to move Melker + Dell, I just don’t think he adds anything. Points are okay, not great, think Goodrow or Labanc, but with 50% of his points on the PP. All the secondary stats are pretty trash though. Doesn’t block shots, make hits, win face offs, tons of give aways, lost every face off, and seems to have issues following the system. I just doesn’t see how he adds to our team.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
DW always want to go into the playoffs with 8 defenseman. Right now we have Vlasic, Dillon, Simek, and Ferraro on the left plus Karlsson, Burns, Heed, and Prout on the right. It doesn’t look like anyone in the system besides Ferraro is going to prove themselves this year. I doubt DW trades any of our defenseman.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
DW always want to go into the playoffs with 8 defenseman. Right now we have Vlasic, Dillon, Simek, and Ferraro on the left plus Karlsson, Burns, Heed, and Prout on the right. It doesn’t look like anyone in the system besides Ferraro is going to prove themselves this year. I doubt DW trades any of our defenseman.
He could move someone and get a depth guy back in a deal. Like if he traded Vlasic to MTL, he could get one of their meh LD back

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Funny how 9 years can change opinions. When i got my black thornton jersey my comment was that my next one would be a couture jersey. Ewwww to that thought.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015

Middleton should probably be included as well. Honestly, the only one I would move is Vlasic for the cap savings. I think our top-4 is set with Karlsson, Burns, Simek and Dillion, while Ferraro has already proven himself capable of eating those minutes should someone go down. Plus a big bodied number 5 should be available at TDL to further solidify that. That said, 7 mil is cap space would do wonders for us up front, and really give us the offense we need to dominant play.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
He could move someone and get a depth guy back in a deal. Like if he traded Vlasic to MTL, he could get one of their meh LD back

I can’t see DW even asking Vlasic to waive his NMC.. I’m thinking next season we might see:

Simek-Burns
Vlasic-Karlsson
Ferraro-Merkley (Assuming he has a great camp)

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I can’t see DW even asking Vlasic to waive his NMC.. I’m thinking next season we might see:

Simek-Burns
Vlasic-Karlsson
Ferraro-Merkley (Assuming he has a great camp)
thats way to soft a d for even me to run every night

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
It might not be the most aggressive physically, but at the level they are currently playing at, it is two pairings that would be the number 1 pairing on all but at most 5ish teams in the league (and #1 on every team if they play to ability), and one of, if not the, highest upside pairings of the future in the league. I'm pretty sure DW is planing on running that, as long as Vlasic keeps up play anything like what he is doing now.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

I think Ferraro and Simek would help compensate for the loss of Dillon from a physical perspective. If Merkley is ready by next year then no better way to bring him on the 3rd pairing playing sheltered minutes and some work on the second PP unit.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think Ferraro and Simek would help compensate for the loss of Dillon from a physical perspective. If Merkley is ready by next year then no better way to bring him on the 3rd pairing playing sheltered minutes and some work on the second PP unit.
I like the idea but I just dont see him being ready by next year. Im pretty sure he spends atleast a year in the A. That means we need someone else to play on the third pair right side.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I like the idea but I just dont see him being ready by next year. Im pretty sure he spends atleast a year in the A. That means we need someone else to play on the third pair right side.

Yeah, I'd expect Prout to re-sign for another couple years over Merkley being ready for that.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015

Burns and Karlsson both run a PP. There really isn’t room for another offensive defenseman in the line up. We need strong, stable 3rd pairing guys that aren’t gonna let in goals.

Merkley is trade bait right now.

Reactions: STL Shark

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
so nobody playing D on the cuda is ever getting a chance?

Well, they'll likely get a shot because I don't foresee both Heed and Prout staying beyond this year so there's a spot to be had there. But I don't see Merkley being ready next year and I don't see Roy or DeSimone playing to that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad