Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Eh. He’s 23. A former 11th overall pick. He has 105 points in 228 games. And now he’s been healthy scratched.

I’m having a hard time putting a value on him.

He was looked at pretty highly for a while. I didn't realize he had fallen so far until after the trade. There's definitely still time for him to pick things back up, so like you said, it's tough to ascertain what someone would want for him.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
So far from what I've seen he's stronger against contact than Donkey was. He doesn't seem to get rag dolled near as much. He's also a faster skater with comparable hands. He's just smoother with his dangles. Donkey had a way of looking like he was working really hard without being effective sometimes. I think this kid could potentially be a 50 point player once he gets acclimated and puts on a little more size. The size won't happen for a year or 2 but he should still be able to be very effective once he gets some real ice time. Sending him down would accelerate the process IMO. The decision making with come with more experience in the AHL/NHL. He made some plays so far that show he has better than average vision. I think within 15 to 20 games he could become a very effective player in the top 6. Not sure if they want to send him down though since Nabby seems to be his defacto interpreter. I wouldn't put him with Jumbo and Sorenson though. Those 2 should get a beefier player to help out. Goodrow has earned that spot so far this season with his play. He's been very effective IMO. I would eventually put Yourtalkin with Kane and Hertl. Those 2 should create enough space for him to make plays and he has the speed to keep up with Kane on odd man rushes in the transition game. He's also already one of the better young forwards as far as defensive responsibility that I've seen in the organization.

Interesting take. That doesn't match what I have seen. He's not allergic to contact like Donskoi and is as present defensively, but he isn't as shifty offensively. Not as good a skater, not quite as fast, and while I think that Yurtaikin has very good hands, Donskoi's were nearly elite.

People forget that in 2016 Donskoi really hit the ground running.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Eh. He’s 23. A former 11th overall pick. He has 105 points in 228 games. And now he’s been healthy scratched.

I’m having a hard time putting a value on him.
Fialas career ppg x 82 = 38 points
Yakapuvs EDM ppg x 82 = 36 points
Roughly the same ages throughout that time period, Yak played an extra 24 games.

Yak was 22 and a #1 overall pick. He was traded for a minor league player and a third.

Fiala might not be perceived as bad of damaged goods as yak was, but very similar ages, scoring, games played, and high draft pedigree.

Fiala should be worth around a second due to not having the Edmonton stink. I'd say Chmelvelski is worth around that as well. Prospects like letunov go for thirds. Chmelvelski is a pretty decent bit above letunov when he was traded to us.
We also traded Sadowy for a third, who was also less good of a prospect than Chmelvelski.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Interesting take. That doesn't match what I have seen. He's not allergic to contact like Donskoi and is as present defensively, but he isn't as shifty offensively. Not as good a skater, not quite as fast, and while I think that Yurtaikin has very good hands, Donskoi's were nearly elite.

People forget that in 2016 Donskoi really hit the ground running.
Yeah but then he disappeared. He was also hurt so much or in the dog house for lack of effort. Yourtalkin isn't a choppy skater like Donkey so it looks different with him. He has confidence and moves that he pulls at speed. In particular, he split 2 defensemen either in the last preseason or one of the first couple regular season games with a pretty high skill move. You could tell, it was no accident and not the first time he'd done that. The kid has very soft hands. He's just not frantic looking like Donkey. Yourtalkin is definitely a better skater and faster than Donkey. We're going to have to agree to disagree there. The best skaters (best edge work) make it look effortless (Marleau, Meier).

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Normally wouldn’t post this as it reads like speculation to me, but two reputable insiders making comments like this is enough for me to raise an eyebrow.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Normally wouldn’t post this as it reads like speculation to me, but two reputable insiders making comments like this is enough for me to raise an eyebrow.

Yeah but their speculative comments are both inaccurate. Kurz alluding to Vlasic as if he's going to waive his NMC mid-season and Larkin saying the Sharks need a left winger badly when our left wingers right now are Kane and Meier in the top six and Sorensen when he's healthy on the 3rd line. If anything, they need a competent right winger to put on Jumbo's wing or a top six level right winger to push Labanc back down to the 3rd line. And let's be reality here, the guy that's going to get moved is going to be Dillon. His contract is easier to move, he has less of a positive impact on the team when he's playing at his best compared to Vlasic, and even if they somehow got Vlasic to agree to go to Montreal, they wouldn't retain him past this season.

Reactions: Erep

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
If Vlasic played up to his abilities, his contract wouldn’t be an issue imo. He’s been a critical cog on the deeper runs that the team has gone on in the playoffs. And he’s been a Sharks lifer to this point.

I’d be concerned about the depth on the left side. We still don’t know how Simek will play coming back from injury, or when that will even happen. Mario is a rookie. And Dillon has seemed to regress a bit from his 1st half last season.

As we all know, DW really handcuffed himself with that full NMC. Without that clause, I think DW would find a way to move on from Vlasic. But there’s little hope at this point that trading Vlasic could become a reality. If it does, I’ll give DW a pass for a year.

Reactions: Sandisfan

jarr92

May 7, 2013

Is he suggesting Vlasic for Drouin? I can't imagine getting anything of value back for Vlasic and his contract.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Is he suggesting Vlasic for Drouin? I can't imagine getting anything of value back for Vlasic and his contract.
There always seems to be an infatuation with French-Canadian players playing for the Habs. Rose colored glasses and whatnot. Not to mention the people making these decisions go off of reputation more than current play or production. The Habs currently have the 5th most cap space in the league according to Cap Friendly. They have a need for a top pairing/top-4 LD. And Vlasic has had previous success playing with Weber internationally for Canada, which carries more weight north of the boarder.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There always seems to be an infatuation with French-Canadian players playing for the Habs. Rose colored glasses and whatnot. Not to mention the people making these decisions go off of reputation more than current play or production. The Habs currently have the 5th most cap space in the league according to Cap Friendly. They have a need for a top pairing/top-4 LD. And Vlasic has had previous success playing with Weber internationally for Canada, which carries more weight north of the boarder.

Maybe but it just isn't going to happen. I cannot envision a world that Vlasic okays a trade to Montreal while he has full control.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Maybe but it just isn't going to happen. I cannot envision a world that Vlasic okays a trade to Montreal while he has full control.
I agree that DW really handcuffed himself in regards to Vlasic’s contract and NMC. The only way I could see Vlasic wanting to move is if they cut his ice time, remove him from the PP, and healthy scratch him a game or two. But that doesn’t fit with DW’s style.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I agree that DW really handcuffed himself in regards to Vlasic’s contract and NMC. The only way I could see Vlasic wanting to move is if they cut his ice time, remove him from the PP, and healthy scratch him a game or two. But that doesn’t fit with DW’s style.

Especially when they have no one suitable to replace him in the lineup.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Vlasic can't even handle the San Jose media questioning his play without getting pissy. He'd be miserable in Montreal and I doubt he'd ever waive to go there.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Especially when they have no one suitable to replace him in the lineup.
Yup. The next couple of weeks will be very telling for the left defensive side. How does Mario continue to develop and handle the rigors of the NHL? When does Simek return and how does he preform? Can Dillon return to his first half form from last season? Does Vlasic re-engage or does his lackadaisical play continue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad