Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Wonder if Dell starts tomorrow. Probably not, but he should.

Jones is a positional goalie. The pad downsizing affects positional goalies way more than athletic goalies, as the positional goalies just try to play the angle right and hope it hits them.

Dell plays way more athletically, so the smaller pads aren’t nearly as much as a detriment to him. At least one of those two breakaways in Chicago would’ve went in on Jones.

With our penchant for giving up odd man rushes, I think Dell is way better suited to our “defense” style.
Jones has zero confidence in his ability to make key saves. You can see it in his body language.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Wonder if Dell starts tomorrow. Probably not, but he should.

Jones is a positional goalie. The pad downsizing affects positional goalies way more than athletic goalies, as the positional goalies just try to play the angle right and hope it hits them.

Dell plays way more athletically, so the smaller pads aren’t nearly as much as a detriment to him. At least one of those two breakaways in Chicago would’ve went in on Jones.

With our penchant for giving up odd man rushes, I think Dell is way better suited to our “defense” style.

I agree, make jones earn his starts. Dell gotmus a win and has been the better of the 2 so far, id start him again tomorrow.

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012
I’m all for the whole use who’s hot deal but we all know that isn’t goin to happen,

Kegsey

Oct 20, 2011
Canada
I'm pretty sure it was the pad change. Spots that used to be covered by just being in position aren't covered with pads anymore and he hasn't/doesn't know how to adjust.
Then why does he get beat high glove 1 on 1 from the hash marks? He has no confidence right now.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Regarding Melker Karlsson, until DeBoer finds a player who he is comfortable giving "heavy" PK ice time to, I can't see him coming out of the lineup.

You'd think that Radil and Bergmann would be prime candidates, but I don't think they've gotten much PK time to start the year.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Regarding Melker Karlsson, until DeBoer finds a player who he is comfortable giving "heavy" PK ice time to, I can't see him coming out of the lineup.

You'd think that Radil and Bergmann would be prime candidates, but I don't think they've gotten much PK time to start the year.
https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/san-jose-sharks-team-stats?season=2019&category=ICE+TIME&time=0

You can look up SHTOI/G here. Looks like it has actually been Gambrell of the new forwards filling that role so far...

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Then why does he get beat high glove 1 on 1 from the hash marks? He has no confidence right now.
lol! Not sure if you play the sport but goalies are f***ed if they see too many unmarked shots from the hash marks. Jones glove hand so far this season has been great. I would bet money it was a specific goal that he worked on this off season. So far the ones he's been beat on high glove side have been scrambles or rebounds right to open players (Stones in one fo the first couple games). Not sure if he hasn't been beat off a player skating in in with the puck? He is not undeserving of criticism but so far this year his glove hand is probably the last thing that is a legit concern. Lets see how he does if the team actually plays defense like they did in the 3rd against the Hawks. So far the GAA stat is a reflection of the way this team sucks at defense, not the play of the goaltenders.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeyCEO

Kegsey

Oct 20, 2011
Canada
lol! Not sure if you play the sport but goalies are ****ed if they see too many unmarked shots from the hash marks. Jones glove hand so far this season has been great. I would bet money it was a specific goal that he worked on this off season. So far the ones he's been beat on high glove side have been scrambles or rebounds right to open players (Stones in one fo the first couple games). Not sure if he hasn't been beat off a player skating in in with the puck? He is not undeserving of criticism but so far this year his glove hand is probably the last thing that is a legit concern. Lets see how he does if the team actually plays defense like they did in the 3rd against the Hawks. So far the GAA stat is a reflection of the way this team sucks at defense, not the play of the goaltenders.

First off, don't start a reply with "lol! Don't know if you've played the sport!" It adds nothing to the conversation and I already don't like you. Yes, team defense is bad, but what the f*** does that have to do with Jones not making key saves when he has to? The high glove was just an example but you can easily go back the last 20 games Jones has played and see how often he gets beat when he has a clear view of the shooter and just doesn't make the save. You can say I'm wrong all you want but Dell made several key saves after the defense hung him out to dry against Chicago.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
First off, don't start a reply with "lol! Don't know if you've played the sport!" It adds nothing to the conversation and I already don't like you. Yes, team defense is bad, but what the **** does that have to do with Jones not making key saves when he has to? The high glove was just an example but you can easily go back the last 20 games Jones has played and see how often he gets beat when he has a clear view of the shooter and just doesn't make the save. You can say I'm wrong all you want but Dell made several key saves after the defense hung him out to dry against Chicago.
Go back and read the post. My point was clear.o_O You must have me mistaken for someone who cares if you like me. :naughty: You make a ridiculous post, expect someone to refute it. I ask about playing simply because if you've been on the ice standing at the hash marks you would know that a good shooter has a big advantage over a goalie standing in the paint. It's a distance thing. You make it sound like every goalie owns shooters at that range when the opposite is true. Especially when the goalie has to move laterally to make the save. Watch other teams... any good defensive team doesn't give up many uncontested shots at the hash marks. When they do they are great scoring chances and quite often goals. They are the very definition of high danger scoring chance. The Sharks thru 5 games give those chances up more than any other team I've watched this season. Also. as far as Jones last 20 games.... You mean the few this season and the previous seasons playoff run where he made a shit ton of game changing stops to nearly backstop the Sharks into the Cup Final for the 2nd time in 4 years? I guess that's one opinion but I think you'll have trouble proving it. I completely agree that he was shit with his glove last season but anyone who has watched him in this season should easily recognize that his glove hand is much improved and closer to a strength than a weakness as it was previously. Jones made just as many big saves in the games he played in, the difference is that the Sharks decided to actually score goals in the last game. They've also gotten better pretty much every game since the season opener. Dell is simply the recipient of far better defensive play from the team in front of him.;)

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Awww... I like how you conveniently leave out that I've played with and against NHLers, ex-NHLers, Junior A, College, IHL and AHL players. But yeah even beer league tells you that standing at the hash with the goalie in the paint gives the shooter the advantage. But even with out that, go watch an NHL practice or the warm up before a game live down at the glass. There is usually a shooter that will line up a few pucks from in close and fire them at the goalie to help him warm up with close shots. If the goalie stops more than half of those he's probably having a good day.
For all the experience you have, Jones is compared to his peers in the NHL. So while your experience is useful and can contribute to your perspective, it doesn’t change the fact that Jones is not performing up to quality NHL standards across the board (high danger, low danger, etc.)

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
For all the experience you have, Jones is compared to his peers in the NHL. So while your experience is useful and can contribute to your perspective, it doesn’t change the fact that Jones is not performing up to quality NHL standards across the board (high danger, low danger, etc.)
And if you go back and read my responses you'll see that my comments were quite specific to the comment about his glove hand. I also said he is not above criticism, but the glove hand is not the problem that it was in previous years. At least not yet. As far as performing up to NHL standards, lets' see how he performs when the team in front of him defends at NHL standards. Because other than the 3rd period of the last game, they've been a joke defensively.

My experience in this case only relates to the fact that all these rinks are the same size and the hash marks on the rink I've always played on are the same as the ones on the rink Jones plays on. It's a simple distance thing. More to do with physics than experience. Now factor in it's an NHL player with an NHL shot and there is a reason they score most goals from that area and why teams do their best to limit uncontested shots from there.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Neither of the goalies have been great, but Dell has been the better of the two (juse).

Small sample size but during 5v5:
Dell is currently ranked 41st in HDSV%, whilst Jones is 47th. Dell is 42nd in HDGSAA at -0.52, whilst Jones is 50th at -1.41.

In GSAA, Dell is 50th with -2.28 and Jones is 53rd with -3.02.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Neither of the goalies have been great, but Dell has been the better of the two (juse).

Small sample size but during 5v5:
Dell is currently ranked 41st in HDSV%, whilst Jones is 47th. Dell is 42nd in HDGSAA at -0.52, whilst Jones is 50th at -1.41.

In GSAA, Dell is 50th with -2.28 and Jones is 53rd with -3.02.
Where do they rank in quantity of high danger scoring chances faced? I could see a goalie facing a hand full per game and being able to stop them whereas the Sharks goalies seem like they face them in groups... multiple high danger chances on a single scoring sequence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herschel

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Awww... I like how you conveniently leave out that I've played with and against NHLers, ex-NHLers, Junior A, College, IHL and AHL players. But yeah even beer league tells you that standing at the hash with the goalie in the paint gives the shooter the advantage. But even with out that, go watch an NHL practice or the warm up before a game live down at the glass. There is usually a shooter that will line up a few pucks from in close and fire them at the goalie to help him warm up with close shots. If the goalie stops more than half of those he's probably having a good day.

Nobody here cares about whether or not a couple NHLers have skated circles around you in pick-up games before. It is utterly meaningless to the discussion here.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Where do they rank in quantity of high danger scoring chances faced? I could see a goalie facing a hand foul per game and being able to stop them whereas the Sharks goalies seem like they face them in groups... multiple high danger chances on a single scoring sequence.

Jones ranks 7th in HD Shots against with 24, whilst Dell is ranked 30th with 13.
Jones ranks 28th with 7 rebound chances against, and Dell 37th with 5.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Jones ranks 7th in HD Shots against with 24, whilst Dell is ranked 30th with 13.
Jones ranks 28th with 7 rebound chances against, and Dell 37th with 5.
Interesting. Thanks for this. So before last night, Jones had played one more game so their numbers aren't actually that far off on a per game basis. From watching the games I wouldn't have believed this. It seemed that especially in the first 2 games that there were a plethora of huge defensive gaffs that led to great chances for the VGKs. Dell definitely has been a little better but it didn't seem drastic. Last nights game was a huge stride towards being a good defensive team though so hopefully they can continue their upward trend.

Last edited:

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Interesting. Thanks for this. So before last night, Jones had played one more game so their numbers aren't actually that far off on a per game basis. From watching the games I wouldn't have believed this. It seemed that especially in the first 2 games that there were a plethora of huge defensive gaffs that led to great chances for the VGKs. Dell definitely has been a little better but it didn't seem drastic. Last nights game was a huge stride towards being a good defensive team though so hopefully they can continue their upward trend.

You are forgetting that Jones got pulled in at least one game. So Dell's ice time was only 20 mins less that Jones.

If you want the p/60 rates, at 5v5, before last night. Jones was at 11.58 HDSA while Dell was at only 7.02. Jones was facing the 3rd most HD shots of any goalie who played 60 mins or more, while Dell was 19th most. Also consider that Jones was facing only ~27 shots per/60, while Dell was facing ~29. This means that Jones was facing pretty close to half of his shots in the high danger area. That is ridiculously horrible.

Last nights game was the perfect example of the way our team needs to play in front of Jones. Let plenty of rubber get to Jones, he is only a sieve when he is being peppered by lots of high danger shots, limit those, even if it means giving up more overall shots, and he will be fine.

Reactions: Sandisfan

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don’t follow San Jose closely. So I expect my post to come off as ignorant. Apologies for that.

It seems to me that the perception out there (in the non-San Jose media) is that the Sharks have goaltending issues.

I’m also pleased to see Ferraro has made the team and is playing well. I read that he’s looked good with Heed. I noticed that San Jose traded Wood for Carrick and the latter has made the team. I also see that Simek is still out with his injury.

Arizona raised some eyebrows in training camp when then claimed Comrie off of waivers from Winnipeg just days before signing Kuemper to an extension. Raanta played Saturday night and was excellent. He seems to be healthy. It seems as though the team has shut the door on Aiden Hill, who had previously been very highly touted and has played very well in limited NHL starts thus far.

We just got news today that Hjalmarsson broke his shin, blocking an Erik Johnson slapshot. He’s out for three months. We will really miss what Hjalmarsson brings. It seems to me like Simek has a few of the same qualities (albeit not at the same level).

I wondered if there might be a fit here. If circumstances may have made an Aiden Hill and a draft pick for Radim Simek kind of a deal somewhat plausible. I don’t know if Sam Jose has reached a point where they’d be willing to audition an unproven young goalie in the NHL, even if he’s got good tools and decent upside. I also don’t know if Simek has become as redundant as he seems on paper. Especially given he’ll need time to ease it. Or if he has the opportunity to ease in, given how crowded it’s become.

Thoughts?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don’t follow San Jose closely. So I expect my post to come off as ignorant. Apologies for that.

It seems to me that the perception out there (in the non-San Jose media) is that the Sharks have goaltending issues.

I’m also pleased to see Ferraro has made the team and is playing well. I read that he’s looked good with Heed. I noticed that San Jose traded Wood for Carrick and the latter has made the team. I also see that Simek is still out with his injury.

Arizona raised some eyebrows in training camp when then claimed Comrie off of waivers from Winnipeg just days before signing Kuemper to an extension. Raanta played Saturday night and was excellent. He seems to be healthy. It seems as though the team has shut the door on Aiden Hill, who had previously been very highly touted and has played very well in limited NHL starts thus far.

We just got news today that Hjalmarsson broke his shin, blocking an Erik Johnson slapshot. He’s out for three months. We will really miss what Hjalmarsson brings. It seems to me like Simek has a few of the same qualities (albeit not at the same level).

I wondered if there might be a fit here. If circumstances may have made an Aiden Hill and a draft pick for Radim Simek kind of a deal somewhat plausible. I don’t know if Sam Jose has reached a point where they’d be willing to audition an unproven young goalie in the NHL, even if he’s got good tools and decent upside. I also don’t know if Simek has become as redundant as he seems on paper. Especially given he’ll need time to ease it. Or if he has the opportunity to ease in, given how crowded it’s become.

Thoughts?
I don’t think the Sharks trade for a goalie. They have 2 good ones in the AHL, and a good prospect. Both Dell and Jones have their moments but I think that it’s more down to team D than anything else. That’s why the past two games we have been praising Jones and Dell because both played pretty well. Also for Simek, I don’t think SJ moves him, they really don’t want to have Prout or Middleton be their first fill in for injury. Carrick is only up because we have so many D injured. I think the hope is that Simek fills in for Dillon and then we can move Dillon for a top 6/9 winger.

Reactions: Erep

Erep

Jul 17, 2019

Thoughts?
Just to add a bit more detail to the response above:

The goalie numbers have obviously been awful, which means moving the 5 years on Jones M-NTC contract is basically impossible outside of a possible Seattle dump situation, but that seems unlikely. With the cap hit on Jones contract, the situation where you make Jones the backup highly insentivises using an ELC goalie, but the Sharks have several already who could work out, and trading for more will just result in guys not getting as much AHL playtime. Additionally, Jones play can still be blamed on team D, and when he gets strong d in front of him he can put up performances like last night (32 saves on 33 shots). So, the team will not jump ship on Jones anyways until the team d steps up to what they are capable of on a regular basis, and Jones continues to struggle.

As for the defense situation, Carrick very much did not make the team. He is solidly the #10 defensemen on the depth chart. Simek and #7 through 9 have been injured. Heed just came back yesterday and had a very strong game, so he will likely not play another NHL game with the Sharks this year.

The Sharks main concern right now is how long can Marleau continue to deliver while playing first line minutes. To make a trade for a guy who can fill in that role long term, the Sharks will likely need to clear some cap space, so while there is an expendable LD, it is more likely to be Dillon because of his cap hit (3.27M) against Simek (675k) will be the more likely one to move.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017

Thoughts?
I imagine it's very unlikely they trade Simek. I can't imagine anyone offering as much value as he offers to the team.

He's cheap, very good with Burns, but he is also long term unproven and other GMs probably wouldn't give anything of substance up for him.

Dillon would probably be a more realistic option as they seem somewhat similar in terms of talent and style, but Dillon makes more money and is an established NHLer and would likely get a bigger return.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
If/when DW makes a trade, he’ll need to clear some cap space to bring in any new player(s).

My top 3 salary casualties are (in order):
  1. M. Karlsson (last year of his contract at $2m)
  2. A. Dell (last year of his contract at $1.9m)
  3. B. Dillon (last year of his contract at $3.27m)

I can see a deal for a top 6-9 winger going down as: M. Karlsson, a non top-5 prospect, and a 2nd/3rd round pick for said top 6-9 winger with some salary retention.

And I can see a deal for a veteran goalie on an expiring contract for: A. Dell, a non top-5 prospect, and a 2nd/3rd round pick for said veteran goalie with some salary retention.

Reactions: themelkman

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Thoughts?

As mentioned by others, Simek’s value to the team right now is far higher than the value that any other team would be willing to pay for him. He was legitimately excellent in the 41 games he played and the team’s performance with him in the lineup last season was night and day compared to their performance without him. The team would probably rather see whether or not he returns to form from his injury than trade him while his value is deflated due to the injury.

Reactions: themelkman

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Thoughts?
This could be way off but would you do something like Dillon for Hinestroza? Other players I’d be interested in that might remotely be available would be Garland, Fischer, Grabner, and maybe Crouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad