Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This could be way off but would you do something like Dillon for Hinestroza? Other players I’d be interested in that might remotely be available would be Garland, Fischer, Grabner, and maybe Crouse.
The problem is that our biggest need prior to Saturday’s injury was a triggermen for the PP. Suddenly we have this new problem where we need someone to shore up the Hjalmarsson spot until he gets back in 3 months.

He is coming back, though. So I wouldn’t trade a major asset for the bandaid solution on Hjalmarsson. If I’m going to part with a prized piece, I’d want to get PP goals out of the deal.

I guess what I’m saying is Dillon is too much of a solution, right now. If that makes sense. I’d be looking for a smaller deal for the shot blocking, PK D and a bigger deal for a forward who can score goals on the PP.

The Hjalmarsson needs is more urgent, but the PP production is more important overall. So I’d want to spend smaller assets on the temporary issue and bigger assets on the long term issue.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
The problem is that our biggest need prior to Saturday’s injury was a triggermen for the PP. Suddenly we have this new problem where we need someone to shore up the Hjalmarsson spot until he gets back in 3 months.

He is coming back, though. So I wouldn’t trade a major asset for the bandaid solution on Hjalmarsson. If I’m going to part with a prized piece, I’d want to get PP goals out of the deal.

I guess what I’m saying is Dillon is too much of a solution, right now. If that makes sense. I’d be looking for a smaller deal for the shot blocking, PK D and a bigger deal for a forward who can score goals on the PP.

The Hjalmarsson needs is more urgent, but the PP production is more important overall. So I’d want to spend smaller assets on the temporary issue and bigger assets on the long term issue.
Simek probably just isnt moving at this time. If he comes back and looks bad then id say he could, but before that its just not gonna happen.

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Jones is a product of the team in front of him. Rarely will he steal a game (in the regular season), but can be decent. He seems more effected by giving up a large number of scoring chances then elite goalies, but when Jones has a good defense he is pretty solid. That's what he basically alludes to in every single one of his interviews. He does seem to have a better glove so far this year, I agree with Dr.

Good Sharks team defense = top 10-15 starter, better in playoffs
Bad Sharks team defense = bottom 25-30 starter, coin flip in the playoffs

Reactions: Dicdonya

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Simek is a cheap complimentary #4, no way is he being moved under the team's current cap structure.

Dillon? Perhaps.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
You are forgetting that Jones got pulled in at least one game. So Dell's ice time was only 20 mins less that Jones.

If you want the p/60 rates, at 5v5, before last night. Jones was at 11.58 HDSA while Dell was at only 7.02. Jones was facing the 3rd most HD shots of any goalie who played 60 mins or more, while Dell was 19th most. Also consider that Jones was facing only ~27 shots per/60, while Dell was facing ~29. This means that Jones was facing pretty close to half of his shots in the high danger area. That is ridiculously horrible.

Last nights game was the perfect example of the way our team needs to play in front of Jones. Let plenty of rubber get to Jones, he is only a sieve when he is being peppered by lots of high danger shots, limit those, even if it means giving up more overall shots, and he will be fine.
Ok so it is as I thought it looked watching live. Jones before last night got the worst version of Sharks defensive hockey compared to Dell so the criticism of him to this point or elevation of Dell is unproven so far.

Reactions: Dicdonya

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

Buy low candidate. Maybe Timo can help him. Also, they'd have to take Melker for cap purposes. Seems fair, Melker for Fiala.:laugh:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I've actually really liked the Goodrow, Thornton, Melker line thusfar, I don't mind this lineup

Maybe we'll end up bumping Sorenson down to the 4th and swapping Melker back up, but other than Radil over Bergmann I think this might be the optimal lineup right now

Reactions: Reggae Shark

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I would like to see the D pairs swapped up

4-65
38-88
44-72

I'm not enjoying Vlasic-Burns early in the season, I would like to shave some of Pickles' minutes off and keep him fresher for post-PP shifts and for the PK

When Simek is back it could be

51-88
4-65
38-44

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I have liked Goodrow so far, he seems to have added some extra hustle and I wonder if that big goal gave him confidence. He's looked pretty good. Melker actually hasn't looked too bad himself, hustle-wise, but my concern is just that that third line feels very fourth line-ish, even with Sorenson. The reason Sorenson-Joe-Labanc worked is because Labanc has top 6 talent and Joe got it out of him. Sorenson provided a goal scoring touch and speed to that line. Right now, it almost feels like Goodrow and Sorenson sort of play the same role on Joe's wings but, I don't mind seeing it for a few games.

I still think, more optimally, Yurtaykin and Sorenson are on Joe's wings (or Chek, if they ever all him up) and the fourth line is Melker - Gambrell - Goodrow.

Though, again, looking at it... it just feels like we have a lot of pretty skilled 4th line-sort-of-3rd-line players right now and I'd love an upgrade.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I've gotta ask, what exactly do people see in Yurtaykin?

I know he's only played 4 games, but I see a Donskoi type who lacks the strength on the puck or the quick decision making to utilize his puck skills

What good is a guy like that really? I'd like to see him sent down to work on his craft because both Bergmann and Radil appear to be much better fits as 4th liners

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I know he's only played 4 games, but I see a Donskoi type who lacks the strength on the puck or the quick decision making to utilize his puck skills

What good is a guy like that really? I'd like to see him sent down to work on his craft because both Bergmann and Radil appear to be much better fits as 4th liners

Better offensive creativity but he needs time to adjust to the speed of the game at the NHL level. He can use AHL time to help adjust to the size of the ice and to some extent the speed of the game. Radil is not exactly a good fit as a 4th liner. He's big and can hang on to the puck but isn't good at any other facet of the game. Bergmann is still too early to tell on that front but I like his energy and simplicity.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think Yurt will be best for that third line once he’s adapted. Maybe he just needs a month in the A or something. I really hate that Radil stays in over Bergmann because Radil really doesn’t provide any physicality like he looks like he should

Reactions: WSS11

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

So far from what I've seen he's stronger against contact than Donkey was. He doesn't seem to get rag dolled near as much. He's also a faster skater with comparable hands. He's just smoother with his dangles. Donkey had a way of looking like he was working really hard without being effective sometimes. I think this kid could potentially be a 50 point player once he gets acclimated and puts on a little more size. The size won't happen for a year or 2 but he should still be able to be very effective once he gets some real ice time. Sending him down would accelerate the process IMO. The decision making with come with more experience in the AHL/NHL. He made some plays so far that show he has better than average vision. I think within 15 to 20 games he could become a very effective player in the top 6. Not sure if they want to send him down though since Nabby seems to be his defacto interpreter. I wouldn't put him with Jumbo and Sorenson though. Those 2 should get a beefier player to help out. Goodrow has earned that spot so far this season with his play. He's been very effective IMO. I would eventually put Yourtalkin with Kane and Hertl. Those 2 should create enough space for him to make plays and he has the speed to keep up with Kane on odd man rushes in the transition game. He's also already one of the better young forwards as far as defensive responsibility that I've seen in the organization.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Buy low candidate. Maybe Timo can help him. Also, they'd have to take Melker for cap purposes. Seems fair, Melker for Fiala.:laugh:

In all seriousness, I think Fiala would be a really good pick up. He’s no world beater but he’s skilled and we need more of that.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
Fiala could be a really solid addition, depending on his cost. If Minnesota continues to struggle, I’d also like DW to look into Dubnyk and Zucker (who has already been thoroughly discussed here).

Another player that I hope DW will explore is Holtby, who has had a rough start to the season and is heading towards FA.

A pipe dream of mine is Vincent Trocheck in Florida. If they don’t figure things out soon, he would be an amazing addition to the Sharks. I’d pay a fairly hefty price for him.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Oh I agree. The Sharks just have to shed salary to get him. Melker is the best option to dump.
full

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Fiala could be a really solid addition, depending on his cost. If Minnesota continues to struggle, I’d also like DW to look into Dubnyk and Zucker (who has already been thoroughly discussed here).

Another player that I hope DW will explore is Holtby, who has had a rough start to the season and is heading towards FA.

A pipe dream of mine is Vincent Trocheck in Florida. If they don’t figure things out soon, he would be an amazing addition to the Sharks. I’d pay a fairly hefty price for him.
I suggested Chmelvelski + Melker and the response was "not at all."

I'd be reluctant to trade that for him, so definitely no to more.

Probably just people not knowing who he is though.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
I suggested Chmelvelski + Melker and the response was "not at all."

I'd be reluctant to trade that for him, so definitely no to more.

Probably just people not knowing who he is though.
Eh. He’s 23. A former 11th overall pick. He has 105 points in 228 games. And now he’s been healthy scratched.

I’m having a hard time putting a value on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad