Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think anyone is projecting Pinto to be an elite #1 center. I think he ends up like a prime Travis Zajac (minus the big years with Parise). Big, skilled, smart, defensively responsible 2nd line center. Better scorer, worse playmaker, similar defensively. Overall speed will stop him from getting to a Scheifele level.
Agreed, I don't see him being a #1C right now, but I would rank him ahead of Brown (who I believe has more offensive skill and upside) because of the intensity he plays with and his it factor. He seems to be the guy you lean on in all situations. I would rank Brown or Brannstrom 4th.

Batherson
Norris
Pinto
Brannstrom
Brown
JBD
Thomson
Formenton

something like that right now

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Agreed, I don't see him being a #1C right now, but I would rank him ahead of Brown (who I believe has more offensive skill and upside) because of the intensity he plays with and his it factor. He seems to be the guy you lean on in all situations. I would rank Brown or Brannstrom 4th.

Batherson
Norris
Pinto
Brannstrom
Brown
JBD
Thomson
Formenton

Where and when did pinto get the “it” factor reputation around here

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That’s my personal opinion after watching his season progress. Also his development curve is very impressive.
Maybe you should consider changing your username to BrannstromtheFuture. I would have Formenton up higher on my list maybe even 3rd and I would have Brannstrom lower behind Brown and JBD for sure.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Maybe you should consider changing your username to BrannstromtheFuture. I would have Formenton up higher on my list maybe even 3rd and I would have Brannstrom lower behind Brown and JBD for sure.
I think the prospects I listed will all make the NHL in important roles so I have no issue with your opinion. I can’t put JBD ahead of Brannstrom right now. Brannstroms offensive upside is significantly higher

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think the prospects I listed will all make the NHL in important roles so I have no issue with your opinion. I can’t put JBD ahead of Brannstrom right now. Brannstroms offensive upside is significantly higher
My concern with Brannstrom is not his offense. Will he be able to defend well enough to play substantial minutes. That's where I have concerns. If he's on a team like Tampa playing with Hedman or McDonagh he could be more valuable. If he has to hold up his end defensively playing with someone like Reilly for example.. not sure he could.

Reactions: Cosmix

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
My concern with Brannstrom is not his offense. Will he be able to defend well enough to play substantial minutes. That's where I have concerns. If he's on a team like Tampa playing with Hedman or McDonagh he could be more valuable. If he has to hold up his end defensively playing with someone like Reilly for example.. not sure he could.
I thought he defended fine in his brief stint. His nhl offense needs to mature first. Plus the nhl has lots of guys who are pretty bad defensively play lots of minutes because of their offense.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

On Drake Batherson:
“He has nothing left to prove, at least in the regular season, at the American league level,” Mann said. “He would admit that he didn’t have a great training camp and the stuff that we talked to him about and D.J. (Smith) talked to him about, he was really conscious in trying to accomplish that and I think he did.

“From a skill perspective and elite hockey sense at this level, I don’t think he has anything else to prove. He can come back to Belleville next year and he’s still going to lead the league in scoring or be a top five scorer, but to me it’s not about that. Now, for him this summer, and it might be a little bit more difficult, he’s got to become that player in Ottawa that he’s been showing here. He’s worked on the things we’ve talked about to make him more prepared for October.”

On Erik Brannstrom:
“Brannstrom certainly improved his defensive game,” Mann said. “People have to realize Brannstrom isn’t a very big player (5-9), so he’s going to have win his battles through stick positioning and closing and using his feet and his intelligence. At the end of the day, as much as we want to have him box out in front of the net and win those 50/50 battles, he’s not going to win all of those.

“What we tried to work on as the season progressed was more stick detail, more positional awareness because we knew he wasn’t going to be able win all those battles. I think he improved in that area, but for two straight years he’s been injured and that hasn’t helped. Both seasons, just when you liked where his game was and where he was at mentally, he got hurt.

“He’s a heck of a player and he’s going to be a good one but he needs some consistent time without injuries.”

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Mann’s quote on Brannstrom is exactly why I don’t like my defensemen to be 5’9. It will always be an uphill battle for them to actually defend well at the NHL level.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Mann’s quote on Brannstrom is exactly why I don’t like my defensemen to be 5’9. It will always be an uphill battle for them to actually defend well at the NHL level.
ironically... it looked like his defensive play was adequate at the nhl level... it was his offensive game that he couldnt find. if he put up more points he more than likely would have stayed up with us.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
ironically... it looked like his defensive play was adequate at the nhl level... it was his offensive game that he couldnt find. if he put up more points he more than likely would have stayed up with us.

Brann’s a puck mover and our PP really only had Chabot last year who could make elite, quick/hard, accurate passes to spread out the defenders. Batherson and Brady showed signs late in the season that they can make creative passes. The addition of a 5th option (Laf, Brown, Norris) or a reliable trigger and some creativity on a second line would help Brown and Brann a lot. A couple extra secondary points over 10 games can boost a lot of confidence.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Brann’s a puck mover and our PP really only had Chabot last year who could make elite, quick/hard, accurate passes to spread out the defenders. Batherson and Brady showed signs late in the season that they can make creative passes. The addition of a 5th option (Laf, Brown, Norris) or a reliable trigger and some creativity on a second line would help Brown and Brann a lot. A couple extra secondary points over 10 games can boost a lot of confidence.
Almost more importantly, can boost perception.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
My list of prospects in order of forecasted future performance is:

Norris
Batherson
Formenton
Brannstrom
Brown
Bernard-Docker
Thomson
Pinto

After the draft I might have to add two to near the top of this list.

Reactions: NB613 and Sweatred

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

Norris
Batherson
Formenton
Brannstrom
Brown
Bernard-Docker
Thomson
Pinto

Whoever we draft (both OTT and SJ picks) go straight to the top for sure.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011

Norris
Batherson
Formenton
Brannstrom
Brown
Bernard-Docker
Thomson
Pinto

2020 1st
2020 1st
Batherson
Norris
Bernard-Docker
Brown
Brannstrom
Pinto
Formenton
Thomson

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009

You are correct but spurgeon is 5'9 and one of the best at it in the NHL. (Always near top in XGA/60)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
2020 1st
2020 1st
Batherson
Norris
Bernard-Docker
Brown
Brannstrom
Pinto
Formenton
Thomson
I might sneak another 2020 1st in the Brown/Brannstrom/Pinto/Formenton range. 21st OA could net us a really good prospect depending on who we get. No guarantees but I've seen some mock drafts where we get guys i could see being top 15 picks.

Heck add JBD to that range, as tbh I have Brann ahead of him.

For me:

Batherson
Norris
Brannstrom
Brown
JBD
Formenton
Thomson
Pinto
Abramov

Graduated or aged out: Balcers, Wolanin, Jaros

Adding two top 5 picks and another 1st will be bonkers...

Last edited:
Reactions: Alf Silfversson

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009

Batherson
Norris
Pinto
Brannstrom
Brown
JBD
Thomson
Formenton

Formenton getting no love? I would have him tied with branstrom or pinto kid is guaranteed nhler only question is will he end up playing on line 3 or line 1?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I might sneak another 2020 1st in the Brown/Brannstrom/Pinto/Formenton range. 21st OA could net us a really good prospect depending on who we get. No guarantees but I've seen some mock drafts where we get guys i could see being top 15 picks.

For me:

Batherson
Norris
Brannstrom
Brown
JBD
Formenton
Thomson
Pinto
Abramov

2020 OTT
2020 SJ
Norris
Brannstrom
Batherson
Brown
2020 NYI
Thomson
JBD
Pinto
Formenton
Abramov

Reactions: NB613

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011

For me:

Batherson
Norris
Brannstrom
Brown
JBD
Formenton
Thomson
Pinto
Abramov

No doubt if we snagged someone like Jarvis with the NYI pick he would be in our top 5 prospects but was difficult to predict who we could realistically land.

I just have this feeling that JBD is going to be this steady workshorse that improves year after year and will be maybe considered our best all around D. That's just my personal projection for him (almost like a better Phillips).

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No doubt if we snagged someone like Jarvis with the NYI pick he would be in our top 5 prospects but was difficult to predict who we could realistically land.

I just have this feeling that JBD is going to be this steady workshorse that improves year after year and will be maybe considered our best all around D. That's just my personal projection for him (almost like a better Phillips).

I have a similar faint hope that Thomson will turn into an effective “ugly/mean/dirty” type dman ...I saw glimpses at the U20’s.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
true but on the Sens his defense would get exposed more than on a team like Tampa or Colorado where his offense would shine more

I think his size makes him vulnerable to bigger stronger forwards and therefore he will likely be a second pairing defenseman at best who will do well on the PP.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Athletic Sens Fan Survey (800 participants)
upload_2020-4-26_18-23-17.png

Reactions: derriko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad