Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think that wouldn't happen because the host institution should still have to sign off on the transfer. So in the case of Tyconick, he absolutely should be allowed to play because his current school is allowing him to leave.

Also top players can form all star teams if they wish before picking schools but that doesn't really happen.

Even local youth and high school sports have similar rules - all driven by past abuse.

as15

Sep 21, 2012
Well clearly most of us think this is false?

I'll be absolutely shocked if he doesn't get an ELC from Ottawa (or another NHL team). Up to this point, it's been about lack of opportunity with JT. He had .46 PPG in the NCAA this year as a 19 year old, that is definitely on par with someone that gets an NHL contract. He had 0 powerplay points (defenseman typically get half of their points on the powerplay), played bottom pairing minutes the whole year. He was 15th in the country in ES PTS/game. 90% of the players on the list below already have, or will, sign NHL contracts. NCAA doesn't have advanced stats, but his 5v5 points/60 very well could've led NCAA defenseman.

Something else, JBD tied this years Hobey Baker winner (Scott Perunovich) in ES Pts/game.

GPPTSPPPES PtsES Pts/Game
David Farrance (NSH)344321220.65
Patrik Demel34211200.59
Jacob Bernard-Docker (OTT)32258170.53
Scott Perunovich (STL)344022180.53
Cole Hults (LOS)343012180.53
Wyatt Newpower34224180.53
Brinson Pasichnuk363718190.53
Joshua Maniscalco363213190.53
Henry Thrun (ANA)31215160.52
Jack Rathbone (VAN)283117140.50
Connor Mackey36246180.50
Jordan Harris (MTL)33215160.48
Tanner Palocsik31249150.48
Mattias Samuelsson (BUF)30140140.47
Jonny Tychonick (OTT)24110110.46
Dylan Samberg (WPG)28218130.46
Jack Ahcan332510150.45
Colton Poolman31173140.45
Alec Rauhauser383518170.45
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Seems like scoring 4 goals on 12 shots in limited minutes will skew your per/60 production unreasonably high, no? This isn't a player that generates shots and chances with any regularity. He put up a little bit of offense - largely in garbage time of blowout games - by going on a shooting percentage heater. Big deal.

Now he's looking at possibly playing his 20 year old/draft+3 year in Junior A, before he goes to a weaker NCAA program where he won't have to compete against good players for minutes. He'll be more productive at UNO for sure. How could he not be?

Not impressed.

as15

Sep 21, 2012
Seems like scoring 4 goals on 12 shots in limited minutes will skew your per/60 production unreasonably high, no? This isn't a player that generates shots and chances with any regularity. He put up a little bit of offense - largely in garbage time of blowout games - by going on a shooting percentage heater. Big deal.

Now he's looking at possibly playing his 20 year old/draft+3 year in Junior A, before he goes to a weaker NCAA program where he won't have to compete against good players for minutes. He'll be more productive at UNO for sure. How could he not be?

Not impressed.

My whole point of posting those stats was to show that JT has produced pretty well offensively with very limited opportunity. I wouldn't give up on him until he actually gets to play a regular role that plays to his strengths.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Not impressed.
Have you watched any games of his?

He’d be the first taken in the top 2 rounds since 2007 not signed to an ELC (Bashkirov) and only the second taken in the top 3 rounds since then to not receive an ELC (Gendron).

It’s much more likely than not he receives an ELC, even if it takes until his 21/22 year old season.

Last edited:

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Reactions: Johnny Hanson

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011

My 4 would be Paul, Batherson, Norris, Formenton

Tough call I'd like to push Brown in there

I think either Norris/Formenton can stay in Belleville in order to have Brown up.

I think confidence wise, it would be best for management to give him some extended time in the lineup so he can prove himself. If you move out another C (Anisimov) then look at promoting Norris.

A lot of this depends on training camps.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Survival of the fittest. Let the top 4 in training camp start in the NHL. Trickier if you add Byfield.

Anyone of Laf, Byf or Stut could push one of our prospects down really. But I'd also assume that management would want Byfield to get some pro seasoning before throwing him into the NHL.

Reactions: Sweatred

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would guess that Paul, Batherson, Chlapik & Balcers would be the four given they have all played some significant time in Ottawa already & the coaches know them well enough by now.

1. Anisimov could be gone by the trade deadline & at that point promote L. Brown.
2. I would also think by that time Balcers could be traded & replaced by Formenton.
3. Reilly could also be gone by the deadline which should give Jaros one more shot.
4. If Ottawa wins the lottery & selects Lafreniere he would automatically start the season in Ottawa. If they come in second than I assume they would send Byfield back to junior after a 9 game stint. Stutzle would probably remain as well, but I don't really see anyone else sticking after those guys from the 2020 draft.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Anyone of Laf, Byf or Stut could push one of our prospects down really. But I'd also assume that management would want Byfield to get some pro seasoning before throwing him into the NHL.

I agree but I think Paul/Brown will be further along their development than Byfield. Our guys were dominate at the WJC level a few years ago and have improved since.

If Brown can make the team I have no problem putting Arti in the PB and giving up that 5th round pick we may get for him.

There is still room for Norris - Brown - Tierney-Arti/Chaplik anyway.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I don't think that Nick Paul is competing for a spot against those guys. A more likely scenario is the rest of them are competing for 3 spots.

Then you figure something unusual would need to happen for Batherson and Mann saying Formenton and Norris are most ready

So many players....there are guys that aren't going to get a fair shot that probably deserve one

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Before getting into the 4, who are the 8 who are considered locks? I only see 7.

Tkachuk - White - Brown
- Tierney -Duclair
- Anisimov - Ryan
- -

From guys who played last year, you’ve then got Hawryluk, Sabourin, Peca, Boedker, and Beaudin.

I’d guess we qualify or extend Hawryluk. Boedker kicks rocks. Sabourin might get another deal but starts as 13th forward or AHL depth. Peca might be brought back to compete but isn’t a lock by any means. Beaudin is depth.

To recap, I think 5 spots are up for grabs. Now as it pertains to the guys listed, obviously it’s super early and we don’t know who gets drafted/signed/has a monster off season, but based on what I think we know:

In my view the biggest lock of that group is Paul. He secured his spot last year, as long as he doesn’t let off during this time and off season he’s a sure fire bet to make the team. Huge, dependable, consistent effort, and positional versatility isn’t ab easy combo to find. DJ already likes him. 1/5

Among the rest, it’s really a winner take all but I’d guess Batherson is the next best bet. He was starting to look much better in his last call up, hopefully his play away from the puck is better rounded and his confidence higher to start next year. The sens need his infusion of skill. 2/5

I’d also have Brown on the team. He would have benefitted from a bit more AHL time this season but I don’t think there is all that much left for him to squeeze from that level. Unless the sens get Laf, they just don’t have that many good PP options. Logan is already the best playmaking forward on the team IMO, breaking camp without him in the lineup makes the sens less competitive while offering little on terms of development. 3/5

Balcers and Chlapik have both had a few cups of coffee and have shown interesting qualities most times Balcers having more offensive potential and Chlapik being stronger and more suited for bottom 6. I don’t think either has much left to learn at the AHL level. Unless I’m mistaken, both would have to go through waivers to be sent down next season. It’s make or break time for both. I wouldn’t be surprised to see one of them traded at the draft or before the end of camp. 4/5; 5/5

Norris showed some flashes in his call-up. He did look very thin for the NHL. Certainly played at an excellent level last season in the AHL. From what I remember of the Mann interviews he could still work on his two way game. I think he’d benefit from the challenge of being the catalyst, the straw that stirs the drink down there with Balcers, Brown, and Batherson called up. I’d send him down to work on the two way game with the expectation that he’s the first call up and will likely bump someone before the season ends.

Formenton’s elite speed will be very tempting to keep around, particularly if he has another offseason of weight gain. Again, from what I remember Mann said he could use more seasoning and I’d tend to agree. In particular Mann spoke to making him one of the best PK players in the AHL. If he can come up in 2021-2022 with even more offensive confidence and a strong PK game at the lower level he’ll be an excellent contributor.

Abramov gets caught in a numbers game. He’s another guy Mann says needs to work on the two way game. He’s also getting passed by guys like Norris and Formenton. He needs a big season in the AHL to show he’s got what it takes to take the next step.

Tkachuk - L. Brown - Ryan
Duclair - Tierney - Batherson
Paul - White - C. Brown
Balcers - Anisimov - Hawryluk
Chlapik

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Before getting into the 4, who are the 8 who are considered locks? I only see 7.

Tkachuk - White - Brown
- Tierney -Duclair
- Anisimov - Ryan
- -

From guys who played last year, you’ve then got Hawryluk, Sabourin, Peca, Boedker, and Beaudin.

I’d guess we qualify or extend Hawryluk. Boedker kicks rocks. Sabourin might get another deal but starts as 13th forward or AHL depth. Peca might be brought back to compete but isn’t a lock by any means. Beaudin is depth.

To recap, I think 5 spots are up for grabs. Now as it pertains to the guys listed, obviously it’s super early and we don’t know who gets drafted/signed/has a monster off season, but based on what I think we know:

In my view the biggest lock of that group is Paul. He secured his spot last year, as long as he doesn’t let off during this time and off season he’s a sure fire bet to make the team. Huge, dependable, consistent effort, and positional versatility isn’t ab easy combo to find. DJ already likes him. 1/5

Among the rest, it’s really a winner take all but I’d guess Batherson is the next best bet. He was starting to look much better in his last call up, hopefully his play away from the puck is better rounded and his confidence higher to start next year. The sens need his infusion of skill. 2/5

I’d also have Brown on the team. He would have benefitted from a bit more AHL time this season but I don’t think there is all that much left for him to squeeze from that level. Unless the sens get Laf, they just don’t have that many good PP options. Logan is already the best playmaking forward on the team IMO, breaking camp without him in the lineup makes the sens less competitive while offering little on terms of development. 3/5

Balcers and Chlapik have both had a few cups of coffee and have shown interesting qualities most times Balcers having more offensive potential and Chlapik being stronger and more suited for bottom 6. I don’t think either has much left to learn at the AHL level. Unless I’m mistaken, both would have to go through waivers to be sent down next season. It’s make or break time for both. I wouldn’t be surprised to see one of them traded at the draft or before the end of camp. 4/5; 5/5

Norris showed some flashes in his call-up. He did look very thin for the NHL. Certainly played at an excellent level last season in the AHL. From what I remember of the Mann interviews he could still work on his two way game. I think he’d benefit from the challenge of being the catalyst, the straw that stirs the drink down there with Balcers, Brown, and Batherson called up. I’d send him down to work on the two way game with the expectation that he’s the first call up and will likely bump someone before the season ends.

Formenton’s elite speed will be very tempting to keep around, particularly if he has another offseason of weight gain. Again, from what I remember Mann said he could use more seasoning and I’d tend to agree. In particular Mann spoke to making him one of the best PK players in the AHL. If he can come up in 2021-2022 with even more offensive confidence and a strong PK game at the lower level he’ll be an excellent contributor.

Abramov gets caught in a numbers game. He’s another guy Mann says needs to work on the two way game. He’s also getting passed by guys like Norris and Formenton. He needs a big season in the AHL to show he’s got what it takes to take the next step.

Paul - White - C. Brown
Chlapik

I don’t find Norris “thin”. He has a heavy shot and held his own physically separating players from the puck in his debut. Look at him beside White and he is thicker through the legs, core, neck etc.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Tkachuk - White - Brown
- Tierney -Duclair
- Anisimov - Ryan
- -

Paul - White - C. Brown
Chlapik

In Mann's latest interviews he said Norris and Formenton were the most ready to make the jump and that Brown and Brannstrom needed more time.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
do you see why anyway you could be wrong? he had a decent freshman year. not even as prolific as colin whites freshman
Yes I could be wrong, as is often the case when projecting prospects. Right now with a gun to my head that's where I rank him. He has an it factor to him that I can't ignore, he's projecting like Norris.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I don’t find Norris “thin”. He has a heavy shot and held his own physically separating players from the puck in his debut. Look at him beside White and he is thicker through the legs, core, neck etc.

Agree to disagree. I thought he looked like Turris out there (who also has a heavy shot and is listed at the same height and weight) and got pushed off the puck too much for my liking.

In Mann's latest interviews he said Norris and Formenton were the most ready to make the jump and that Brown and Brannstrom needed more time.

Must have missed it, thanks for the update.

I’d still likely err on the side of cooking those two in the minors a little longer but I’ll look for the interview.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Agree to disagree. I thought he looked like Turris out there (who also has a heavy shot and is listed at the same height and weight) and got pushed off the puck too much for my liking.

Must have missed it, thanks for the update.

I’d still likely err on the side of cooking those two in the minors a little longer but I’ll look for the interview.

No problem. Happy to hear different perspectives. I saw a video of Norris firing pucks at his parents place and I was surprised that he looked thick.

IMO Davidsson and White are “thin”. Watch the video of Ryan’s night with Norris. When they scan the bench you see a good comp of White vs Norris and Norris vs rest of the team.

as15

Sep 21, 2012
Yes I could be wrong, as is often the case when projecting prospects. Right now with a gun to my head that's where I rank him. He has an it factor to him that I can't ignore, he's projecting like Norris.

I don't think anyone is projecting Pinto to be an elite #1 center. I think he ends up like a prime Travis Zajac (minus the big years with Parise). Big, skilled, smart, defensively responsible 2nd line center. Better scorer, worse playmaker, similar defensively. Overall speed will stop him from getting to a Scheifele level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->