Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I'm curious, can JBD and Pinto change their decision on going back to college?

I don't think it's at all likely that there's an NCAA season next year, and while there's some risk with the AHL, I'd say it's less.

In college, the priority will be to get the high-revenue sports back (football and basketball), and even that is going to be up in the air. There's a high probability, right now, that students won't return for the fall semester.

I don't think secondary sports like hockey will be a priority.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

I don't think it's at all likely that there's an NCAA season next year, and while there's some risk with the AHL, I'd say it's less.

In college, the priority will be to get the high-revenue sports back (football and basketball), and even that is going to be up in the air. There's a high probability, right now, that students won't return for the fall semester.

I’d have to imagine it’s an all or nothing situation. Like all sports are back or no sports are back

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

They can leave whenever they want, they'd just need to ask the Sens for a contract, receive it, and be done in the NCAA

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
My list of prospects in order of forecasted future performance is:

Norris
Batherson
Formenton
Brannstrom
Brown
Bernard-Docker
Thomson
Pinto

After the draft I might have to add two to near the top of this list.
my list as well except brown is higher

Reactions: Sweatred

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I’d have to imagine it’s an all or nothing situation. Like all sports are back or no sports are back
the NCAA are crooks and thieves. they will bring football back on the down low and because no one will know about it they will charge fans triple the price to come watch and make everyone sign a waiver that if they tell anyone there was a game they need to be part of some weird frat blood sacrifice.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I think most universities are currently making plans to be open next fall regardless. Atheltics is a different matter.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Given they'll be probably playing without spectators, restarting low-revenue sports shouldn't be an issue.
Paying $10M your football/basketball coaching staff while not getting any gate revenue, on the other hand, might be hard.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Given that the vast majority of sports have doctors I would assume that every player & staff member, in fact, everyone associated with the team in any manner would be tested before hand & constantly tested afterwards, for a number of months anyway.

However, it's the fans, I don't know how you can test thousands of people for every game until they develop something where people can test themselves at home. I think most normal & understanding people would buy a test kit & test themselves. They may have to give these kits out for free in order to assure everyone gets tested, although NOTHING is fail safe.

It should be very interesting to see how long before people feel safe enough to go anywhere where there are large groups of people gather. After all, it only takes one person to infest many others & they in turn infest hundreds or thousands more. It's a very difficult situation for the human race to be in when we all depend so much on social contact with each other including our own families.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Pretty positive article from the hockey writers on JBD.

Ottawa Senators' Jacob Bernard-Docker Poised for a Bright Future
This is the guy that I think makes the most sense to play with Chabot. JBD can help him offensively, but more importantly he can help him defensively. I don't think he is going to play like Marc Methot, he's a different kind of player, I think he's going to play a very smart good overall game, good at everything. He's going to compliment Chabot in every situation I think, they could become a very dynamic duo. The Sens need to find a good RD for the 2nd pairing in this draft & Braden Schneider RD could be that guy to play with Brannstrom LD or Wolanin LD, eventually.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Given that the vast majority of sports have doctors I would assume that every player & staff member, in fact, everyone associated with the team in any manner would be tested before hand & constantly tested afterwards, for a number of months anyway.

However, it's the fans, I don't know how you can test thousands of people for every game until they develop something where people can test themselves at home. I think most normal & understanding people would buy a test kit & test themselves. They may have to give these kits out for free in order to assure everyone gets tested, although NOTHING is fail safe.

It should be very interesting to see how long before people feel safe enough to go anywhere where there are large groups of people gather. After all, it only takes one person to infest many others & they in turn infest hundreds or thousands more. It's a very difficult situation for the human race to be in when we all depend so much on social contact with each other including our own families.

Well there are ways and means Aragorn for making it safe for all ticket holders to attend the games safely. Something like this for example:

Helmet-based ventilation is superior to face mask for patients with respiratory distress - UChicago Medicine

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is the guy that I think makes the most sense to play with Chabot. JBD can help him offensively, but more importantly he can help him defensively. I don't think he is going to play like Marc Methot, he's a different kind of player, I think he's going to play a very smart good overall game, good at everything. He's going to compliment Chabot in every situation I think, they could become a very dynamic duo. The Sens need to find a good RD for the 2nd pairing in this draft & Braden Schneider RD could be that guy to play with Brannstrom LD or Wolanin LD, eventually.

I do not think that there is an ideal complementary type of Defenseman for any single player. If a player is a skilled offensive player, but has defensive weaknesses, I do not think that type of player needs a partner who is defensively sound but lacking in offensive skills. Why? Because both players still have their individual deficiencies that can be exploited by the opposition.

I wanted to see Chabot play more with Karlsson to see the strong offensive play those two could add to both even strength and PP situations. However on the PK, I think that pairing might be over powered by the other team.

I do like having at least two defensemen who are very strong defensively to create a strong PK and ES pairing that cannot be overpowered physically, particularly in the playoffs.

Reactions: Sweatred

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I do not think that there is an ideal complementary type of Defenseman for any single player. If a player is a skilled offensive player, but has defensive weaknesses, I do not think that type of player needs a partner who is defensively sound but lacking in offensive skills. Why? Because both players still have their individual deficiencies that can be exploited by the opposition.

I wanted to see Chabot play more with Karlsson to see the strong offensive play those two could add to both even strength and PP situations. However on the PK, I think that pairing might be over powered by the other team.

I do like having at least two defensemen who are very strong defensively to create a strong PK and ES pairing that cannot be overpowered physically, particularly in the playoffs.
I think that is why we didn't see EK & Chabot play together a lot at even strength because they were exploited defensively, but they played together on the PP because both were dynamic offensive playmakers. And of course they were never paired together on the PK. Last yr when Brannstron & Chabot were on the ice together occasionally they got exploited, I don't think I was the only one who pointed that out. I think Brannstrom was returned to Belleville because of his defensive play & maybe bulking up a little bit might help him more defensively deal with the big NHL forwards a little better.

I think it's a coaching decision to have someone who is better defensively play with someone who may be slightly weaker defensively, but better offensively. What did the coach say about playing Paul with some offensive players because Paul was the defensive conscience of the line although forwards, I think the same could apply to the defence. That sort of gives us a small sample of how coaches are thinking about these things. From my experience most coaches spend more time on defence than offence, they hope their skilled players will be able to make their own offence in a structured system. They also like to put together guys who compliment each other & work well together, but that's just my opinion.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Man that series is one of the best souvenirs ever

Chris Neil, the ultimate warrior.

Zack Smith in his prime, so much balls

Turris was such a good player in his prime.

Alfie and Gonchar even if they were at the end of their careers. Phillips too, even if I hated how people were on his back all the time, such a great career too

Karlsson was just getting back from injury but he was already such a dominant player

Andy still in his prime

Michalek, a quite efficient player all over the ice, was not too expensive which made him even more efficient

Jared Cowen was a total monster, such a shame he didn't have the career he could have had

Methot, when we started to love the guy, another quiet efficient player.

IIRC Spezza missed the whole Habs series

Rick Condra, the ultimate stamina

Young guys Pageau, Zibanejad, Silfverberg, even Conacher the honey badger

That team was great. They had to turtle a lot during the season because of injuries but they dominated the Habs so much in the playoffs, in every sense. Too bad the Pens were just too good. And who knows if Spezza and Karlsson were never injured, maybe things would have been different but the Pens were like impossible to beat

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad