Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
So in our list of prospects where would Zub slot? I am guess above just JBD/Thomson as he has a longer track record, but really not sure.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
True, but Zub is expected to slot in the 4-6 range as an NHLer is he not? Thus do you feel JBD/Thomson are likely to exceed that? Slow news makes me ask :)

Hopefully Zub develops into an effective regular NHL player.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
So in our list of prospects where would Zub slot? I am guess above just JBD/Thomson as he has a longer track record, but really not sure.
Zub has shown he can be a successful top player in a Pro league so he might have the slight edge. Though Jbd/thompson are so much younger than zub so its hard to compare... Zub is less risky/less potential than the 2 kids.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
True, but Zub is expected to slot in the 4-6 range as an NHLer is he not? Thus do you feel JBD/Thomson are likely to exceed that? Slow news makes me ask :)
well hes I his mid twenties and never played in the NHL. we are *lucky* is hes an effected 4-6 guy. JBD and Thomson are expected to be good 4-6 guys perhaps higher. so I would slot him below those two. this going off exactly zero viewings except two goals I saw him score on youtube

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Depending on what happens at training camp it will be interesting where everyone ends up, but Zub being slightly older, it wouldn't surprise me to see him start the season in Ottawa to see where his development is in real games. JBD is supposedly going back to school & I'm not sure if Thomson is coming over next yr, but I would expect he might.

Defence to start next season:
Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Reilly
Boroweicki - Zub

Belleville:
Brannstrom - Jaros
Lajoie - Thomson ???
Englund - Aspirot/ Olsing???/Labrie ???/Guennette ???

Reactions: Cosmix

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I'm not expecting Wolanin to step in as a 3-4 dman. I think he will be challenged to outplay Borocop, Jaros , and possibly Zub, Brann or Lajoie.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Depending on what happens at training camp it will be interesting where everyone ends up, but Zub being slightly older, it wouldn't surprise me to see him start the season in Ottawa to see where his development is in real games. JBD is supposedly going back to school & I'm not sure if Thomson is coming over next yr, but I would expect he might.

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Reilly
Boroweicki - Zub

Belleville:
Brannstrom - Jaros
Lajoie - Thomson ???

I suspect Reilly might be on the 3rd pairing with Zub on the 2nd.
Boro might surprise and beat out Zub for 2nd pairing.
Having said all that, I think we have a weak defence, even if we add Brannstrom, Jaros or Lajoie.
Bernard-Docker and Thomson are still too young and need more development.
Has Englund signed to stay yet?

Reactions: NB613 and aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I suspect Reilly might be on the 3rd pairing with Zub on the 2nd.
Boro might surprise and beat out Zub for 2nd pairing.
Having said all that, I think we have a weak defence, even if we add Brannstrom, Jaros or Lajoie.
Bernard-Docker and Thomson are still too young and need more development.
Has Englund signed to stay yet?
Agreed, the defence looks very weak to me too. I haven't heard a word about Englund, he doesn't seem to have much value on here or with the Sens, but he could be another transition piece. Who knows how this will all work out, but I'm not optimistic about this defence (any of them) outside of Chabot & I have my concerns about him defensively.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'm not expecting Wolanin to step in as a 3-4 dman. I think he will be challenged to outplay Borocop, Jaros , and possibly Zub, Brann or Lajoie.

If we know anything about DJ Smith, I would expect to see Conor Brown take a regular shift on D ahead of Wolanin if he (or anyone else) didnt actually earn the roster spot through merit. So you can bet dollars to donuts that if hes there, he was challenged in the hardest of ways - I have yet to see a free ride be handed out to anyone.

That's not even a jab at DJ, I'm just fully confident that whatever player ends up playing in a regular rotation will have earned their spot, and his trust. The expectations are clear for the players, and the net result is a hardworking and difficult team to play against.

And I do think he can outplay those aforementioned players if he takes this offseason and the next training camp as seriously as he should be. This year is massively important to his future as an NHLer, and I'm sure that fact is not lost on him or his confidants either.

Last edited:

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Reilly
Boroweicki - Zub

Belleville:
Brannstrom - Jaros
Lajoie - Thomson ???

Guennette isn't eligible for the AHL next season (Just turned 19 in April.) Just my opinion but I'd easily have Aspirot in the top 4 over Lajoie

Reactions: NB613 and Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If we know anything about DJ Smith, I would expect to see Conor Brown take a regular shift on D ahead of Wolanin if he (or anyone else) didnt actually earn the roster spot through merit. So you can bet dollars to donuts that if hes there, he was challenged in the hardest of ways - I have yet to see a free ride be handed out to anyone.

That's not even a jab at DJ, I'm just fully confident that whatever player ends up playing in a regular rotation will have earned their spot, and his trust. The expectations are clear for the players, and the net result is a hardworking and difficult team to play against.

And I do think he can outplay those aforementioned players if he takes this offseason and the next training camp as seriously as he should be. This year is massively important to his future as an NHLer, and I'm sure that fact is not lost on him or his confidants either.

I agree with your assessment of DJ and the only player I can think of who was gifted ice time was White. He was terrible last year and the Sens played him above others.

Wolanin should be working hard but so should the players he’s competing against. He has missed a lot of hockey and I don’t think it will be easy to get back to where he was. I think we tend to overate his limited play so to legitimately making the team may require him to have improved since his injury. Jaros, Aspirot, Brann, Thomson, Zub, Lajoie will all be in the mix.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Pinto Primary points stats look pretty good

That's pretty damn impressive considering he's only really behind Newhook, Caufield and Zegras (imo who are bluechip prospects) and ahead of Turcotte. Obviously there's other factors but man he's looking more and more like a steal that I will gladly eat crow for.

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
That's pretty damn impressive considering he's only really behind Newhook, Caufield and Zegras (imo who are bluechip prospects) and ahead of Turcotte. Obviously there's other factors but man he's looking more and more like a steal that I will gladly eat crow for.

He was also %61 on faceoffs heading into the NCAA playoffs. Him and Formenton are going to to be a hell of a duo on the PK in 2-3 years

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Looking at that list, wish we could have found a way to move up for Newhook, Krebs or Harley last year.

All 3 will end up steals at 15, 16 and 17, but all had to go off the board right before we picked :(

I hear ya on Harley and Newhook. After several live viewings I'm not a Krebs fan though. Out of curiosity who would you compare him to at the NHL level?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Looking at that list, wish we could have found a way to move up for Newhook, Krebs or Harley last year.

All 3 will end up steals at 15, 16 and 17, but all had to go off the board right before we picked :(

FYI they actually went 16, 17, 18 - Caufield was 15. Wouldnt surprise me at all if Thomson was our #4 or #5 ranked player left at 15, at which point the guys ahead of him all went in immediate succession.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Gatineau Olympiques had the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 8th overall selections in the Qmjhl draft tonight. Going to be an exciting team to watch for the next few years. 67s vs Olympiques games going to be a doozy.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Gatineau Olympiques had the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 8th overall selections in the Qmjhl draft tonight. Going to be an exciting team to watch for the next few years. 67s vs Olympiques games going to be a doozy.
Luneau is a treat to watch, he's the best D prospect out of the Q in over 2 decades imo

Also funny to see Nause drafted in the top 6 in back to back seasons

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad