Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
ECHL is still a tougher league than NCAA. Top college players could make the jump and do fine, but a kid like Tychonik would get less ice time in ECHL than he would on NCAA.

The ECHL is a tougher league for a skilled player to make an impact for sure.

Much like the AHL, sometimes it's easier for skilled players to make an impact in the NHL with more it's more structured play, crisper passing, and having linemates with a higher skill level.

And the ECHL is like a more physical, less skilled version of the AHL. So imo it depends on what kind of player your trying to develop. NCAA is better for a guy with his skillset imo, especially considering his age and lack of experience.

So the term "tougher league" is fairly open to interpretation imo.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Elite Prospects is the most accurate site I've found for arcane transaction details, and they have Tychonick listed as sitting out next year before playing for Omaha in 2021-22.

I can't help but think of the similarities in Tychonick's situation to Matej Tomek. Tomek was a goalie drafted by the Flyers in the 3rd round in 2015. He spent 2 years at UND, but only got 2 games in. He transferred to Omaha to get more playing time, but had to spend a transfer year in the USHL to do so.

Anyone aware of any other players who transferred after being drafted by NHL teams? Did they have to sit out a year? I can't think of any exceptions being granted, unfortunately.

I don't know what it means, but this below article seems to indicate it might still be possible for him to play NCAA next year. My assumption/knowledge of it is the player would always have to "redshirt"/ship a year after switching programs, so *shrugs*.

UND defenseman Jonny Tychonick set to transfer to Omaha | Grand Forks Herald

There is an opening to play big minutes with Omaha immediately. The Mavericks lost senior NHL draft picks Ryan Jones and Dean Stewart to graduation.

Tychonick said that the UND coaching staff is working to try to help him be eligible immediately next season. He will have two years of college eligibility remaining.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
ECHL is still a tougher league than NCAA. Top college players could make the jump and do fine, but a kid like Tychonik would get less ice time in ECHL than he would on NCAA.
but he would be under our thumb. i dono. maybe a year in the BCHL wouldnt be so bad for him

as15

Sep 21, 2012
Too bad about Jonny T. Outside of JDB, is UND's defence that strong?

The problem with Jonny T at UND is that he plays an offensive game, but he currently doesn't bring much else. His playing time suffered because the last thing that the #1 team in the NCAA needed was their bottom pairing dmen taking unnecessary risks. JBD and Matt Kiersted provided the offense on the blueline, but were also elite two-way guys at the NCAA level. This is why he was replaced by Ethan Frisch, an undrafted, unheralded, but very steady freshman by the end of the year.

Best case, JT would've been the #3 defenseman at UND as a senior. By transferring, he will instantly become the #1, all situations guy at Omaha (a solid NCAA program). That just goes to show how deep UND was this year, and in years to come. It's a good move for his long term development, but he is going to have to get used to losing a lot of games.

as15

Sep 21, 2012
but he would be under our thumb. i dono. maybe a year in the BCHL wouldnt be so bad for him
I don't know what else he has to prove in the BCHL. He basically dominated there two years ago as 17 year old. He needs to learn how to defend stronger players and begin showing more consistency from game to game.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
After playing there as a 16 year old, and dominating as a 17 year old, heading there as one of the 30 oldest guys in the league at 20 would be a wasted year.
well that was my first impression. which is why i said if thats the case...sign him. give him some special attention down in the ECHL. OR, sign him and loan him out to europe? maybe to a team with someone weve drafted.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't know what else he has to prove in the BCHL. He basically dominated there two years ago as 17 year old. He needs to learn how to defend stronger players and begin showing more consistency from game to game.
well exactly, this is why i dont like this no NCAA fora year.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
well that was my first impression. which is why i said if thats the case...sign him. give him some special attention down in the ECHL. OR, sign him and loan him out to europe? maybe to a team with someone weve drafted.
Signing him is a moot point if he’s transferring schools, which means he intends on playing in the NCAA.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
You guys are really stressing out over a guy that will likely never be good enough to justify giving an ELC to.

as15

Sep 21, 2012
This might be the best course of action for all involved. He would be able to play against men, work on his defensive game, all in a league where he wouldn't be overwhelmed. It would definitely be a step down in terms of level of play from a top college program, but probably best for his development to keep playing instead of sitting out a year.

Keep in mind there is a very good chance that he is eligible to play in college next year. UND's coach signed a waiver that puts it into the NCAA's hands on whether JT is immediately eligible or not. This typically doesn't happen, as transfers typically stem from a negative situation.

Reactions: IamJust0ne

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That rule makes no sense. It’s not like that in football
Its on the ncaa website as applying to football
Transfer terms
One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:
  • You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.
  • You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.
  • You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.

as15

Sep 21, 2012
Maybe it’s a different tile then because a guy like Jalen Hurts transferred to oklahoma last summer without missing a year

Edit apparently he was allowed to play because he graduated the previous December. These rules are dumb lol

This is a totally different scenario. Graduate transfers are very common (i.e. Jalen Hurts). Underclassmen transfers are very rare.

Not trying to argue, but these rules aren't dumb at all. If you could transfer with no negative repurcussions, top players would be transferring every year to make all star teams. Recruiting would be impossible because you wouldn't know who is going to be at your program or not. It'd be like saying NHL players can switch teams every year, no trades, no compensation, nothing.

It would absolutely destroy college sports, especially hockey.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
This is a totally different scenario. Graduate transfers are very common (i.e. Jalen Hurts). Underclassmen transfers are very rare.

Not trying to argue, but these rules aren't dumb at all. If you could transfer with no negative repurcussions, top players would be transferring every year to make all star teams. Recruiting would be impossible because you wouldn't know who is going to be at your program or not. It'd be like saying NHL players can switch teams every year, no trades, no compensation, nothing.

It would absolutely destroy college sports, especially hockey.
I think that wouldn't happen because the host institution should still have to sign off on the transfer. So in the case of Tyconick, he absolutely should be allowed to play because his current school is allowing him to leave.

Also top players can form all star teams if they wish before picking schools but that doesn't really happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad