Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Everything Kastelic does has to viewed through the lens of him being an overage junior. As a comparable, Tye Felhaber lit up the OHL last year as an overager for the 67's, (60 goals, IIRC) and this year finds himself in the ECHL after struggling in the AHL. Kastelic was well worth a shot given where he was drafted, but he is a long shot at best...

Reactions: DrEasy and GCK

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Everything Kastelic does has to viewed through the lens of him being an overage junior. As a comparable, Tye Felhaber lit up the OHL last year as an overager for the 67's, (60 goals, IIRC) and this year finds himself in the ECHL after struggling in the AHL. Kastelic was well worth a shot given where he was drafted, but he is a long shot at best...
I totally agree that kastelic is a long shot at best but it’s not really fair to compare him and Felhaber. Felhaber is a top six goal scoring winger or bust while kastelic will make it as a defensive role player in the bottom six. He’s over 60% on his draws and he is a very trusted PKer and shut down guy. As long as kastelic improves his skating and the physical side of his game, I think he’s got a good shot to eventually play a 4th line role.

Reactions: SensontheRush

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I totally agree that kastelic is a long shot at best but it’s not really fair to compare him and Felhaber. Felhaber is a top six goal scoring winger or bust while kastelic will make it as a defensive role player in the bottom six. He’s over 60% on his draws and he is a very trusted PKer and shut down guy. As long as kastelic improves his skating and the physical side of his game, I think he’s got a good shot to eventually play a 4th line role.

Fair point - Felhaber is definitely a top six or bust kind of player. I was just making the broader point that you have to apply a fair sized discount to what a 20 year old does when playing against 17 and 18 year olds most nights. We'll have a better idea a year from now, after he has played for some time in the ECHL. It's rare, but guys sometimes do battle their way from the ECHL all the way up to the NHL - Alex Burrows comes to mind.

Reactions: Johnny Hanson

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I disagree, with Kastelic's size & toughness & being very good in the face off circle which he was during the development camp & rookie tournament too & knowing that coaches love guys who are good in the faceoff circle IMO I think gives him a good shot, if not in Ottawa maybe somewhere else. It will be interesting to see how he does in Belleville next season & whether he sticks in the AHL which I think he will or gets regulated to the ECHL (Brampton). My guess is he is going to play on special teams in Belleville & develop into a very good defensive forward who also chips in offensively. There is no guarantee for anyone to make the NHL, it is afterall the toughest league in the world but there are plenty of examples of hard working tough guys (who a lot of people on here dislike) making it regardless & we know Smith likes tough players.

Regarding other players, every player is unique & comparing one guy to another not knowing a player makes it quite difficult whether he has the fortitude & determination to work as hard as he needs to make the NHL & is just speculation. We'll see have a much better idea of what kind of player they have at this point next season in his first yr in Belleville. I look forward to seeing him play with Kelly on the same line.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I disagree, with Kastelic's size & toughness & being very good in the face off circle which he was during the development camp & rookie tournament too & knowing that coaches love guys who are good in the faceoff circle IMO I think gives him a good shot, if not in Ottawa maybe somewhere else. It will be interesting to see how he does in Belleville next season & whether he sticks in the AHL which I think he will or gets regulated to the ECHL (Brampton). My guess is he is going to play on special teams in Belleville & develop into a very good defensive forward who also chips in offensively. There is no guarantee for anyone to make the NHL, it is afterall the toughest league in the world but there are plenty of examples of hard working tough guys (who a lot of people on here dislike) making it regardless & we know Smith likes tough players.

Regarding other players, every player is unique & comparing one guy to another not knowing a player makes it quite difficult whether he has the fortitude & determination to work as hard as he needs to make the NHL & is just speculation. We'll see have a much better idea of what kind of player they have at this point next season in his first yr in Belleville. I look forward to seeing him play with Kelly on the same line.

The Senators need some bigger tougher players to take the load off Tkachuk. You cannot win playoff rounds with only one tough player.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Senators need some bigger tougher players to take the load off Tkachuk. You cannot win playoff rounds with only one tough player.

I don't really have an issue with this - and you need one who can play top six minutes. A fourth liner doesn't count.

Nowadays, I'm not sure if you need more than two. Skating is a must though. Playoff hockey is even faster and there's no point being tough if you're going to be late to the party everywhere you go.

Tkachuk obviously knows this based on his focus on improving his skating.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

You've got Norris and Formenton on the way, both of whom should be over 200 lbs in a few years. I don't know if Logan Brown will ever be considered a tough player but he's big now and only going to get bigger. Batherson is big. Shane Pinto has good size and plays a gritty game.

Reactions: Cosmix

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The size of the dog in the fight doesn't reveal the size of the fight in the dog. Logan Brown is (almost) always gonna be the biggest player on the ice, but that doesn't mean he's going to be some playoff force throwing his body around out there. That being said, I'm relatively impressed by the compete level of the guys who seem like they'll be here long-term and that is good news as the team improves and starts to fight for a playoff spot.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
The size of the dog in the fight doesn't reveal the size of the fight in the dog. Logan Brown is (almost) always gonna be the biggest player on the ice, but that doesn't mean he's going to be some playoff force throwing his body around out there. That being said, I'm relatively impressed by the compete level of the guys who seem like they'll be here long-term and that is good news as the team improves and starts to fight for a playoff spot.
I don't expect Brown to ever be a bully, which is too bad, but I think he still has untapped physical potential.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Meh, Spezza and Heatley were actually pretty big players but they were never physical.

They were both very big, but neither had the frame that Brown has. He also has a lot of room to bulk up; he's been weight training for what, 3-4 years? I also think he already uses his physicality more than those players did, and as he continues to get stronger he should have more confidence to use his physicality. Far from a guarantee, but the potential is certainly there.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They were both very big, but neither had the frame that Brown has. He also has a lot of room to bulk up; he's been weight training for what, 3-4 years? I also think he already uses his physicality more than those players did, and as he continues to get stronger he should have more confidence to use his physicality. Far from a guarantee, but the potential is certainly there.

Additionally, offensive players can still use their physicality in terms of protecting the puck (e.g. Malkin, Jagr) and thrive in a playoff environment without having to go around hitting everyone.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Additionally, offensive players can still use their physicality in terms of protecting the puck (e.g. Malkin, Jagr) and thrive in a playoff environment without having to go around hitting everyone.
100%, that's what I'm referring to. I don't expect him to ever throw the body but I think he has the potential to use his frame and strength to be an extremely effective player along the boards, with and without the puck, as well as on the rush. Brady is a good example - he throws the body, but the more significant impact of his physicality is guarding the puck and getting it back by overpowering guys below the goal-line.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Uses his physicality more than Spezza.... like..... spezza was a hound. And flat out bullied the best, toughest d men in the nhl when he had the puck.

Reactions: R2010

R2010

May 23, 2011
Meh, Spezza and Heatley were actually pretty big players but they were never physical.

Hitting does not equal physical necessarily. There are very few players that used their bodies more effectively for puck protection than Spezza during his prime. Players would often comment on hard he was to take the puck from him with his size and reach.

We can only dream that Brown eventually shows the same ability to use his body as Spezza.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hitting does not equal physical necessarily. There are very few players that used their bodies more effectively for puck protection than Spezza during his prime. Players would often comment on hard he was to take the puck from him with his size and reach.

We can only dream that Brown eventually shows the same ability to use his body as Spezza.
Anyone who thinks brown will offer *anything* more than what spezza offered his heading for disappointment.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Mostly he would take slashing penalties.

Text book selfish bum. Hes always behaved like a spoiled and self entitled brat.

I dont even hate the guy any more. If anything I feel bad for him. But as they say, karma's a bitch...

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Text book selfish bum. Hes always behaved like a spoiled and self entitled brat.

I dont even hate the guy any more. If anything I feel bad for him. But as they say, karma's a *****...

Sounds like you do

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Heatley used his size really well especially around the net.

Yeah, he had that big ass of his and he'd sort of back in sometimes in front of the net.

I was saying more in terms of laying hits. He wasn't much of a hitter, and when he'd get mad, you could tell that he was on the verge of taking a slashing penalty.

Spezza and Heatley were pretty big and Alfie played big with those shoulders of his, but I wouldn't call the former two physical players. Alfredsson would get physical in the playoffs.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I want some big tough players like John Ferguson and Gordie Howe. :)

Reactions: innocent bystander
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad