Line Combos: 2019/2020 Roster Discussion

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
He’s eligible to not count against the 50 contract limit. However that would require him to be assigned to a junior team. If he plays in the AHL then his contract counts.
Thanks. As well, if he plays more than 9 games with Leafs his contract wouldn't be exempt, correct?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Thanks. As well, if he plays more than 9 games with Leafs his contract wouldn't be exempt, correct?

Yeah. Basically what the rule is saying is that only players who are eligible to slide can be exempt from the 50 contract limit. Once an 18 or 19 year old players hits 10+ NHL games in a season they can no longer slide. The most important instance being an 18 year old player who burns the first year on their ELC isn’t eligible to slide the next season at age 19 even if sent to juniors.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
With this lineup mayne.... we bout to score at least 5 goals against the sens wednesday :celebration: :smoke: :congratulations: :birthday: :fun: :joy:

I mean look at our forward talent, ottawa fools ain't got nothing on our rear ends son. They inherited our fools, like 4 of our goons who ain' t got that much game neither. We finna twerk on that ass wednesday. Invest y'alls moneys.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Yup. The bottom line was that to get within a couple hundred thousands of the cap you were putting together the bottom of the roster based mainly on cap considerations - not ideal roster. They got to within 11K of the cap - essentially to do that you are looking at dollar amounts with little regard for the players being paid those dollar amounts. There would have been a couple different scenarios around that range - you figure out which one is most palatable - and then change things around after the LTIR issue is dealt with.
They will play some musical chairs soon.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
24F57FAA-5AE8-4A5C-AD0B-AA0E4DFC4E52.jpeg

This is what mackenzie figures we would have. Last year.

our current lineup.

Johnson. Matthews. Nylander.
Hyman. Tavares. Marner.
Mikhayev. Kerfoot. Kapanen
Moore Goat. Spezza.

Muzzin. Barrie.
Rielly. Ceci.
Sandin. Dermott.

Ya I’m good with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: smitty10 and Pinto

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The facts are the facts though. And our wingers are much improved from last season even with a full year of nylander.
The facts are the facts but why are we excluding players?

Last year top 9

Hyman ------- Tavares ------ Marner
Johnsson ---- Matthews -- Kapanen
Marleau ----- Kadri ---------Nylander

This year

Hyman ------- Tavares -------- Marner
Johnsson ---- Matthews ----- Nylander
Mikheyev -- Kerfoot ----------Kapanen

So we're really debating Kadri & Marleau vs Mikheyev & Kerfoot as being an upgrade in the top 9 where 7 are the same from year to year.

Last edited:
Reactions: JustAShadow

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
The facts are the facts but why are we excluding players?

Last year top 9

Hyman ------- Tavares ------ Marner
Johnsson ---- Matthews -- Kapanen
Marleau ----- Kadri ---------Nylander

This year

Hyman ------- Tavares -------- Marner
Johnsson ---- Matthews ----- Nylander
Mikheyev -- Kerfoot ----------Kapanen

So we're really debating Kadri & Marleau vs Mikheyev & Kerfoot as being an upgrade in the top 9 where 7 are the same from year to year.
You forgot to highlight Nylander. He was basically non existent because of the contract last season and didnt join the team till December,,. I'd say that's pretty signficant.

definedMF

Apr 19, 2013
Big Yellow Joint
With this lineup mayne.... we bout to score at least 5 goals against the sens wednesday :celebration: :smoke: :congratulations: :birthday: :fun: :joy:

I mean look at our forward talent, ottawa fools ain't got nothing on our rear ends son. They inherited our fools, like 4 of our goons who ain' t got that much game neither. We finna twerk on that ass wednesday. Invest y'alls moneys.
Why do y'all skip this genius poster all the time, only thing that reminds me what its like to have fun on a forum like this.

Uncle, keep popping the cherries of the jokesters and pokesters. They gonna have to come downtown to grab their coffee beans sometime. Finna #crushdemh8rs

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Why do y'all skip this genius poster all the time, only thing that reminds me what its like to have fun on a forum like this.

Uncle, keep popping the cherries of the jokesters and pokesters. They gonna have to come downtown to grab their coffee beans sometime. Finna #crushdemh8rs
It's easy to underestimate genius. You need scuba gear to reach that man's depth.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Not sure why we don’t swap Kapanen and Moore so they’re playing their natural positions. And when Hyman returns Kappy will go back to RW anyways so less disruption on the third line (none).

Reactions: aingefan

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Not sure why we don’t swap Kapanen and Moore so they’re playing their natural positions. And when Hyman returns Kappy will go back to RW anyways so less disruption on the third line (none).
Because Kapanen is potentially a very good fit on the tavares line. Not that Moore would be a bad fit, but Kapanen on that line has a higher potential reward.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I agree. I don't think it'd change much at all and it'd allow Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Kapanen to start building chemistry

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not too surprised to see Spezza a healthy scratch, as I see him at his age and decline now just a spare part filler as needed.

Nick Shore adds a little more physicality to the line-up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad