Line Combos: 2019/2020 Roster Discussion

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I don't understand that logic they could have send him down it now instead of later and then recalling another "D", they still need a 7th "D" in any case

The logic is they need his caphit for tomorrow at 5pm. Any other D would be at least 140K less and that would severely handicap the team.

The Leafs organization made clear that there was going to be some temporary manipulation of the roster to get the max LTIR they could.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Babs likes the speed and Timmer has had it from day 1. But he has developed his game and he is close to being NHL ready. Sad thing is we likely lose him or Spezza or both once Hyman back.

I’m really wondering if it might be a good time for dubas to research the possibilities of trade options for Hyman while waiting for him to heal.

He just scored 20 so his value is at his peak we will likely ever see and the depth kind of hints at the possibility we would not feel a effect as a team play context.

Peak value, lower cap hit can replace him sufficiently, coming back from injury and could be limited by it.

Reactions: BigBlu

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
You can beleaf whatever you want. Clearly it is best combination of an active roster based on camp performance and how to best juggle the CAP for this season. When you are a CAP team like we are it will happen for us for next 5 years. I have seen another configuration with Lilly but not including Holl where team could have got closer to the CAP. So it tells me they were afraid to lose Holl to waivers.
Scares me a bit but I agree. Dubas seems to be terrified of losing AHLers to waivers and he'd seemingly rather ice an interior NHL team than lose one of "his guys" from the Marlies.

Hopefully this won't be a repeat of the Sparks situation, which he bumbled spectacularly

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I’m really wondering if it might be a good time for dubas to research the possibilities of trade options for Hyman while waiting for him to heal.

He just scored 20 so his value is at his peak we will likely ever see and the depth kind of hints at the possibility we would not feel a effect as a team play context.

Peak value, lower cap hit can replace him sufficiently, coming back from injury and could be limited by it.
I guess everything can be analyzed in the 1st month. But the first month of the NHL season is not the best time to be figuring out major decisions. Once January comes then NHL hockey gets real. With Lily, Shore, Spezza and Holl back down hopefully we can make it work with Timmer and Hyman and Dermy back. I would say Timmer should be last to go.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
My man Polly twerkin it out treal hard out there in dallas. Every night on the pole, blockin that thang, still hitting, what! Polak is the guy and a regular NHL player who everybody wants hard.
Only bumbass OG's finna cheer on Harpur twerkin it while gettin' cross tf up and goalies be gettin' turned out like tricks. Naw bruh he can go twerk that thang at Ricoh where dem Boyz belong

Reactions: SAMCRO44

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Well this should pretty much settle the Liljegren on the NHL roster debate (although, of course, I know it somehow won't):

"For a prospect, seeing your name on the 23-man NHL roster 48 hours before the season opens is supposed to be an occasion for joy, a rush of accomplishment, and an encouragement for all the possibilities that lie ahead."

"Unless you’re Timothy Liljegren."

"The complexities of the NHL salary cap have brought us some bizarre situations (remember Arizona Coyotes legend Pavel Datsyuk?), but we can’t recall talking to a player less enthused about surviving the final cut than Liljegren was Monday.
Because, unlike his friend and fellow first-round pick Sandin, Liljegren understands he’s not here on merit and could be sent back to the farm club as early as Tuesday.

Kyle Dubas is temporarily using Liljegren’s contract to help maximize the club’s long-term injury relief, and the GM didn’t hide that from the 20-year-old defenceman."

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Why wouldn’t he play! Marincin and holl arent guaranteed superior players to him. I think he gets games and i think it will be third pair with Sandin. I’ll wait and see of course. Why not see how this motivates him in a couple games. Practicing and hanging out with the big club will be boss for his confidence

I agree with you but Babcock seems to prefer Marincin night bodyguard Sandin, judging by their combos/usage.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Holy skewing the facts Batman.

Last year Nylander was unsigned so somebody had to fill in for him in top 6 and this year Hyman is injured and somebody has to fill in

So (excluding Hyman and Nylander) intentionally clouds the fact to make things look better this year.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Well this should pretty much settle the Liljegren on the NHL roster debate (although, of course, I know it somehow won't):

"For a prospect, seeing your name on the 23-man NHL roster 48 hours before the season opens is supposed to be an occasion for joy, a rush of accomplishment, and an encouragement for all the possibilities that lie ahead."

"Unless you’re Timothy Liljegren."

"The complexities of the NHL salary cap have brought us some bizarre situations (remember Arizona Coyotes legend Pavel Datsyuk?), but we can’t recall talking to a player less enthused about surviving the final cut than Liljegren was Monday.
Because, unlike his friend and fellow first-round pick Sandin, Liljegren understands he’s not here on merit and could be sent back to the farm club as early as Tuesday.

Kyle Dubas is temporarily using Liljegren’s contract to help maximize the club’s long-term injury relief, and the GM didn’t hide that from the 20-year-old defenceman."
The thing is though, if he's here you might as well play him and see what you have.

He burns an ELC year anyways this year and I want him playing as much hockey as possible.

I swear if Babcock sits him for 3 or 4 games in a row and we don't send him down I will lose my mind.

We know what Marincin and Holl are, they will still be here when all is said and done, but you don't mess with a prospect like Liljegren just because of the cap situation.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The thing is though, if he's here you might as well play him and see what you have.

But the thing is he's not "here" except for basically on paper, and because that is the case he gets to practice with the Leafs. He will be sent down either tomorrow evening, or by the next afternoon with plenty of time to practice with the Marlies before their season begins (on the 5th).

He burns an ELC year anyways this year and I want him playing as much hockey as possible.

He will. This doesn't change anything. He got to practice an extra day or two with the Leafs, and will continue in the AHL without missing anything.

I swear if Babcock sits him for 3 or 4 games in a row and we don't send him down I will lose my mind.

That won't happen. But certainly whoever is the 7/8 D for the Leafs' will be sitting for much longer 3 or 4 games.

We know what Marincin and Holl are, they will still be here when all is said and done, but you don't mess with a prospect like Liljegren just because of the cap situation.

But they haven't messed around with a prospect like Liljegren. There are people who really want him to make the team so they can feel better about how far they feel he has progressed, by having him sit like Holl did last year. The Leafs' are not doing that. He practiced with the Leafs for a couple extra days instead of the Marlies, which in the big scheme of things amounts to nothing.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Are the Leafs the youngest team in the league this year? The average age of the roster is 25.4 years old and the only guys older than 25 that will play significant minutes are Tavares, Muzzin, Barrie, Andersen.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Only bumbass OG's finna cheer on Harpur twerkin it while gettin' cross tf up and goalies be gettin' turned out like tricks. Naw bruh he can go twerk that thang at Ricoh where dem Boyz belong
Like y'all already know other teams are like trick daddies to us if keep letting them to be..............

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Can someone fill me in on why Sandin is exempt from the 50 standard player contract limit?

He does count towards the 50 player limit as he's in the Leafs organisation. If he was signed but loaned to a CHL/European team, he would not count towards the 50 limit for obvious reasons.

However, if he does not play 9 NHL games before he turns 20 years old however, his contract slides.

"If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide."

Entry-Level Slide Candidates - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Holy skewing the facts Batman.

Last year Nylander was unsigned so somebody had to fill in for him in top 6 and this year Hyman is injured and somebody has to fill in

So (excluding Hyman and Nylander) intentionally clouds the fact to make things look better this year.
The facts are the facts though. And our wingers are much improved from last season even with a full year of nylander.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
He does count towards the 50 player limit as he's in the Leafs organisation. If he was signed but loaned to a CHL/European team, he would not count towards the 50 limit for obvious reasons.

However, if he does not play 9 NHL games before he turns 20 years old however, his contract slides.

"If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide."

Entry-Level Slide Candidates - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Correct. Thanks.

Screenshot_20190930-201044_Firefox.jpg

Reactions: SprDaVE

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
Our lineup def looks better than year, im very excited to see what Ceci brings to the table! I have a feeling hes going to shock a lot of us!

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Can someone fill me in on why Sandin is exempt from the 50 standard player contract limit?

He’s eligible to not count against the 50 contract limit. However that would require him to be assigned to a junior team. If he plays in the AHL then his contract counts.

Reactions: JEI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad