Line Combos: 2019/2020 Roster Discussion

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Shocked he's sitting the veteran in a home opener against a team he played many years for. I feel for Spezza. Signing league minimum to come play here. I know he's on the decline but surely he could have gotten a bit better payday and opportunity elsewhere. I think our time with Spezza will be quite short lived. Seems like a failed relationship already

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Shocked he's sitting the veteran in a home opener against a team he played many years for. I feel for Spezza. Signing league minimum to come play here. I know he's on the decline but surely he could have gotten a bit better payday and opportunity elsewhere. I think our time with Spezza will be quite short lived. Seems like a failed relationship already

Yup. Knew it as soon as babcock started talking about "figuring things out"
Dick move

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Dubas: We don't have to worry about paying our stars a crazy high amount because we can fill out our roster with quality league minimum guys. That will include lots of players who will want to take much less then they could elsewhere when coming here because they want to win at home.

Babcock: If you take less to come here you can sit in the press box.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
At the end of the day, I dont really care of the Leafs genuinely seem to think the goat is better than Spezza.

That said this comes across as particularly petty. Especially given all that talk last season about how it was sacrilegious to sit Marleau for even a couple games due to his iron man streak.

Just play the guy against his old team then switch him out if need be. This just comes across as somewhat humiliating for the guy -especially of they do intend on using him at some point during the year

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
What's the goal this season? Succeed as a team? Or is to not hurt anyone's feelings? If Spezza didn't crack the opening night lineup then I doubt it has anything to do with Babcock holding a grudge. The Leafs are icing the best lineup they can and if that means Spezza has to sit in the pressbox instead of playing 7 minutes on the 4th line then so be it.

Reactions: TopCheese

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
What's the goal this season? Succeed as a team? Or is to not hurt anyone's feelings? If Spezza didn't crack the opening night lineup then I doubt it has anything to do with Babcock holding a grudge. The Leafs are icing the best lineup they can and if that means Spezza has to sit in the pressbox instead of playing 7 minutes on the 4th line then so be it.
When has Babcock been known for icing the best lineup or lines ? He is known for not liking certain guys and from day 1 he had an issue with spezza. This is how he rolls .

Last edited:

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Sitting Spezza for this game is beyond stupid. Shore hasn't even done anything to earn that spot.

Didn't play in the NHL last year. Shore may end up being better, and more useful, but you don't disrespect a guy with Spezza's resume, playing his old team, in his home-town on opening night. And he talks about being a good pro.....

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I recall some moron used to say "tie goes to the vet"

Shore is a vet. Just not as much of a vet as Spezza.

The problem with Spezza is that if he's not contributing on the PP then he's a liability at 5 on 5 or the PK.

If Babcock doesn't envision using him on the second PP unit then there isn't much of a place for him on the team. He doesn't deserve a spot just because he's from Mississauga.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Shore is a vet. Just not as much of a vet as Spezza.

The problem with Spezza is that if he's not contributing on the PP then he's a liability at 5 on 5 or the PK.

If Babcock doesn't envision using him on the second PP unit then there isn't much of a place for him on the team. He doesn't deserve a spot just because he's from Mississauga.

Shore didn’t even play in the nhl last year
It’s Babcock making a statement
He feels the need to defy his boss because he’s mike fricken Babcock

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
It's a very strange move to pull on a veteran with Spezza's resume. Makes me wonder what happens long term when Hyman is back too. Seems Spezza may not have a place on this team

For sure. Assuming we have a healthy lineup when Hyman comes back, 2 forwards will need to be sent down. That will most likely be 2 of Shore, Spezza and Timashov

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Well this I can tell you. If Spezza gets sent down when Hyman is back then he will leave team. And that is what Babs wants so thats that.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
And if Timashov at the ripe age of 23 is PKing and throwing his body like he did last night (team leader in hits)..it won't be him leaving. Spezza's job is in trouble big time

there are worse problems then having too much depth. i would not be surprised if kapanen was traded in the summer to free up cap space. one would have to think dubas will do everything possible to resign barrie. trading a 3rd line winger for a top pairing defenseman is probably reasonable. not sure where dubas will find the other few million to get it done.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
there are worse problems then having too much depth. i would not be surprised if kapanen was traded in the summer to free up cap space. one would have to think dubas will do everything possible to resign barrie. trading a 3rd line winger for a top pairing defenseman is probably reasonable. not sure where dubas will find the other few million to get it done.
Next year's problem

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

I was thinking AJ over Kap but beginning to change my mind.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Playing the Goat on the Wing is counter productive, he's much better suited for Centre.

From what I have seen not only do I agree with you, but I feel Goat will be our 4C the entire year as long as he is healthy. Spezza/Shore/Petan will have to play wing if they want to play.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->