Line Combos: 2019/2020 Roster Discussion

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Well, that explains the what, but not the why...
Yeah I know it makes no sense to me but I guess the NHL wants to limit teams using LTIR so they say well if you use it well then you get no incremental increase in CAP space as season progresses compared to teams not using it. I really don't get the motivations for it. Unless the injuries are BS and effectively Robidas island for guys put out to retirement.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I watched Harpur very closely and he rarely made mistakes, some of the other ones, especially Schmaltz were awful. Similarly when Bracco had the puck he made smart plays, he played with players destined for the minors. He made a lot of good plays with the weird usage he was given. 8 games and they'd couldn't find him an NHL linemate for one of them. He was never going to be on the team, that was obvious with his usage. But, they both looked fine.

A lot of guys who made the team are worse players in my opinion than those 3.
So who should Harpur have made the team over?
Harpur can't skate, is constantly out of position, can't move the puck, and is essentially a worse Polak.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There is no benefit. Liljegren is up because they want Liljegren up for now, not because of cap shenanigans.
You can beleaf whatever you want. Clearly it is best combination of an active roster based on camp performance and how to best juggle the CAP for this season. When you are a CAP team like we are it will happen for us for next 5 years. I have seen another configuration with Lilly but not including Holl where team could have got closer to the CAP. So it tells me they were afraid to lose Holl to waivers.

Reactions: biotk

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'm honestly not sure what they were watching to determine Marincin and Holl in over Harpur and Shore over Agostino as the right call. I saw it the other way and they fill that gap in grit. Someone like Holl making the team is just silly.

That's what I saw as the right call. So they must have been watching the same games I did. I'm betting a lot of fans saw it that way, too. Or at least close enough that it isn't surprising.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Harpur didn't even fight well during pre-season. Now if he went Steve MacIntyre all over everybody's asses that might be one thing, but the fact is he's not a great fighter, he has to take himself out of the play to throw a big hit, and he's constantly chasing the puck due to his poor skating, lack of gap control, and low hockey IQ/awareness. Sending him to Ricoh was the right call. I'm kind of amazed people actually think otherwise.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
So who should Harpur have made the team over?
Harpur can't skate, is constantly out of position, can't move the puck, and is essentially a worse Polak.
My man Polly twerkin it out treal hard out there in dallas. Every night on the pole, blockin that thang, still hitting, what! Polak is the guy and a regular NHL player who everybody wants hard.

Sep 18, 2009
My man Polly twerkin it out treal hard out there in dallas. Every night on the pole, blockin that thang, still hitting, what! Polak is the guy and a regular NHL player who everybody wants hard.
Yes sire, Leafs need real twerkers like Polak who are real hard instead of these softies

Reactions: Primary Assist

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm quite happy so far.

They played fast and moved the puck out of the zone quite effectively during the preseason.(4 and a bit games I watched)

I'll be interested in seeing opening day line-up.

4th. line is really to only unknown isn't it?

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Surprised Lily made it but i guess it makes sense to keep him on until dermy comes back. Let him get a nice taste even if hes not playing.

Leafs are pretty much stacked. Its now about playing as a team and tighten their D up. Babs has no excuses now on the defensive end. This is a high caliber team both ways.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Timashov is going to be a great add. He's essentially a grittier, better version of Petan. Remember when he was first drafted, his poise and vision was so evident in those early games in preseason and prospect camps. He's worked on his two-way game on the Marlies for a few years now and he is finally ready. He can move up and down the lineup to cover injuries, but I really like his IQ.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Surprised Lily made it but i guess it makes sense to keep him on until dermy comes back. Let him get a nice taste even if hes not playing.

Leafs are pretty much stacked. Its now about playing as a team and tighten their D up. Babs has no excuses now on the defensive end. This is a high caliber team both ways.
They are giving him some cash here. Need to keep the 1st rounders happy. and they can do it for a month.

Reactions: The Masters

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Timashov is going to be a great add. He's essentially a grittier, better version of Petan. Remember when he was first drafted, his poise and vision was so evident in those early games in preseason and prospect camps. He's worked on his two-way game on the Marlies for a few years now and he is finally ready. He can move up and down the lineup to cover injuries, but I really like his IQ.
Babs likes the speed and Timmer has had it from day 1. But he has developed his game and he is close to being NHL ready. Sad thing is we likely lose him or Spezza or both once Hyman back.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Babs likes the speed and Timmer has had it from day 1. But he has developed his game and he is close to being NHL ready. Sad thing is we likely lose him or Spezza or both once Hyman back.

1) No big deal
2) Shore is likely going to be one of the cuts, and if Spezza could be the other, that is probably great. Spezza doesn't deserve to be here with our forward depth. He's got a nice set of games to prove himself, but he came in knowing that his job was not a given... He probably just thought he would be relegated to a 4th line role. Now he's fighting for his NHL life.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
1) No big deal
2) Shore is likely going to be one of the cuts, and if Spezza could be the other, that is probably great. Spezza doesn't deserve to be here with our forward depth. He's got a nice set of games to prove himself, but he came in knowing that his job was not a given... He probably just thought he would be relegated to a 4th line role. Now he's fighting for his NHL life.
So true

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

It honestly makes zero sense to keep Liljegren up past the LTIR relief date of October 2nd, unless the Leafs plan on giving him minutes (in which case, great).

But his usage in the last preseason game where he played 11 minutes can’t continue if the Leafs expect him to develop. He should either be given proper 3rd pairing minutes in the NHL, or be sent to the Marlies to play on the top powerplay unit and the top pairing until he gets called up for good in Feb/March.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
You can beleaf whatever you want. Clearly it is best combination of an active roster based on camp performance and how to best juggle the CAP for this season. When you are a CAP team like we are it will happen for us for next 5 years. I have seen another configuration with Lilly but not including Holl where team could have got closer to the CAP. So it tells me they were afraid to lose Holl to waivers.

Yup. The bottom line was that to get within a couple hundred thousands of the cap you were putting together the bottom of the roster based mainly on cap considerations - not ideal roster. They got to within 11K of the cap - essentially to do that you are looking at dollar amounts with little regard for the players being paid those dollar amounts. There would have been a couple different scenarios around that range - you figure out which one is most palatable - and then change things around after the LTIR issue is dealt with.

Reactions: Ciao

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It honestly makes zero sense to keep Liljegren up past the LTIR relief date of October 2nd, unless the Leafs plan on giving him minutes (in which case, great).

But his usage in the last preseason game where he played 11 minutes can’t continue if the Leafs expect him to develop. He should either be given proper 3rd pairing minutes in the NHL, or be sent to the Marlies to play on the top powerplay unit and the top pairing until he gets called up for good in Feb/March.

Why wouldn’t he play! Marincin and holl arent guaranteed superior players to him. I think he gets games and i think it will be third pair with Sandin. I’ll wait and see of course. Why not see how this motivates him in a couple games. Practicing and hanging out with the big club will be boss for his confidence

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'm quite happy so far.

They played fast and moved the puck out of the zone quite effectively during the preseason.(4 and a bit games I watched)

I'll be interested in seeing opening day line-up.

4th. line is really to only unknown isn't it?

Yes true and I think we are going to see Timashov as our 4th line winger, I wish Lily start the season as your 6th "D", either they should let him play or back to Marlies, instead of sitting on the bench I would rather see him as a 1st pairing "D" for the Marlies (which is better for his further development)

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I wish Lily startthe season as your 6th "D", either they should let him play or back to Marlies, instead of sitting on the bench I would rather see him as a 1st pairing "D" for the Marlies (which is better for his further development)

Don't worry. Lilly will be sent back to the Marlies as soon as possible after the LTIR placement is done (25 hours from now).

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

Why have Sandin and Liljegren switched sides?

Marincin and Sandin are both lefties, and Sandin has said that he is just as comfortable on either side. While they were together in pre-season Marincin was officially on the right side, but they switched things up during the game without an issue. I think that the Leafs are going to want to see Sandin on both sides so they feel comfortable with him moving the lineup on either side either during a game (like he did moving him up on the right side with Rielly when the Leafs' were trailing), or when moving up the lineup as injury replacement.

Holl and Liljegren are both right-handed. It makes sense to keep Holl on his proper side because he is the one who is actually on the team.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Don't worry. Lilly will be sent back to the Marlies as soon as possible after the LTIR placement is done (25 hours from now).

I don't understand that logic they could have send him down it now instead of later and then recalling another "D", they still need a 7th "D" in any case

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad