Line Combos: 2019/2020 Roster Discussion

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
upload_2019-7-2_8-43-59.png

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't even think the Leafs know right now. That's what training camp is for and players impress, some regress and some look terrible.

At this time, the roster to me looks like this when healthy:

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Moore - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Mikheyev** - Spezza - Shore**
Petan, Gauthier, Agostino and Marchment in the mix for the last couple spots and press box. Kerfoot could move to the LW with Spezza moving up to play 3rd line center, Shore to 4th line center, etc.

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin - Dermott
Borgman** - Ceci
Marincin, Harpur , Holl and Gravel fight for the last spot and press box. Borgman just wins this spot right now because his name starts with a B.

With Hyman and Dermott injured for the first couple weeks/months, the blender might be much different and it's hard to get a handle on the lines but I suspect something like:

Kerfoot - Tavares - Marner
Moore - Spezza - Kapanen
Agostino - Shore - Mikheyev

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin - Ceci
Borgman - Holl

Last edited:

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Marchment will be on the team and go back down when Hyman returns

Start:

Moore - Tavares - Marner

Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Kapanen

Marchment - Spezza - Shore

Rielly - Barrie

Muzzin - Ceci

Borgman - Holl/Marincin/UFA

Marchment goes down, Marincin goes down.

Hyman back on Tavares' wing, Moore with Kerfoot and Kapanen
Mikheyev 4th line

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Mikheyev Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Marner
Kap Kerfoot Bracco
Moore Spezza Hyman

Shore-Petan-Engvall-Goat-Agostino

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
All I know is that at he start of the season I want to see Kerfoot in a multitude of different spots up and down the line up both at center and the wing. I want to see what we have with this guy.

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Mikheyev-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Moore-Spezza-Shore

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Dermott-Harpur

Andersen-Hutchinson

Scratches:
Agostino
Schmaltz

Last edited:

member 300185

I don't even think the Leafs know right now. That's what training camp is for and players impress, some regress and some look terrible.

At this time, the roster to me looks like this when healthy:

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Moore - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Mikheyev** - Spezza - Shore**
Petan, Gauthier, Agostino and Marchment in the mix for the last couple spots and press box. Kerfoot could move to the LW with Spezza moving up to play 3rd line center, Shore to 4th line center, etc.

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin - Dermott
Borgman** - Ceci
Marincin, Harpur , Holl and Gravel fight for the last spot and press box. Borgman just wins this spot right now because his name starts with a B.

With Hyman and Dermott injured for the first couple weeks/months, the blender might be much different and it's hard to get a handle on the lines but I suspect something like:

Kerfoot - Tavares - Marner
Moore - Spezza - Kapanen
Agostino - Shore - Mikheyev

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin - Ceci
Borgman - Holl
Mikheyev is not a fourth line player. He will likely play on the left side replacing Hyman. And Hyman is going to be recovering and won't be back until late December or early January. And be honest, how effective do you think he is going to be with that serious knee injury. He won't be fit. Just look at Nylander who is a gym junkie and how terrible he was....without having a serious knee injury?

We basically have lost an effective Hyman until at least late February. Hyman has virtually no skill. He gets by with hard work and skating. His skating will not be there.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
When healthy:
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Kerfoot-Spezza-Kapanen
Moore-Shore-Mikheyev
Rielly-Barrie
Muzzin-Ceci
Harpur-Dermott

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
When healthy:
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Kerfoot-Spezza-Kapanen
Moore-Shore-Mikheyev
Rielly-Barrie
Muzzin-Ceci
Harpur-Dermott

I like it. I hope Spezza can handle 3C duties. Giving him 2 speedsters will help him thrive. The 4th line looks good too. They have the potential to be a strong possession line similar to the Kuraly group in Boston

I also wouldn’t mind signing Girardi to help with the PK and allow Dermott to play on his onside and have a reliable partner

Reactions: WizardOfNaz

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I like it. I hope Spezza can handle 3C duties. Giving him 2 speedsters will help him thrive. The 4th line looks good too. They have the potential to be a strong possession line similar to the Kuraly group in Boston

I also wouldn’t mind signing Girardi to help with the PK and allow Dermott to play on his onside and have a reliable partner

Yeah if they could get Girardi for under a million, that would be a great signing. In addition to the PK and him being right handed, he also brings a physical element to his game

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This assumes this is the roster going forward, which I'm sure will be subject to change.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Kerfoot-Spezza-Kapanen
Moore-Gauthier-Mikheyev
Petan

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Harpur-Dermott
Borgman-Holl

Andersen-Sparks

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This is going to be the best roster we have had.

That's all I can really say right now :laugh: I'm still shocked at the trade yesterday
So am I. We now have a balanced d core for 1st time in so many years. 3 puck movers and 3 heavy lifters who can do damage.

Reactions: kb

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I'd hope our roster to start the season, barring no other trades, looks something like this:

6h6Wamp.png

- Marner hopefully signed to 5x9
- Kerfoot hopefully signed to 2x3
- Ceci signed to verbally agreed 1x4.5
- Dermott, Hyman, Horton on LTIR for cap flexibility.
- Spezza to 3rd line C and Kerfoot to LW while Hyman is out.
- Liljegren makes team out of camp
- Agostino, Marincin, Holl healthy scratches while Shore, Gravel sent to the AHL considering they signed two way contracts.
- Cap hit just over 78.8 with just under 2.7 available space.

Put Matthews and Marner together already considering they are our highest paid center/winger and give them the most minutes. Let Tavares do what he always does which is elevate everyone that he plays with and give him Nylander.

Send Agostino and Marincin to the AHL when Dermott and Hyman return, healthy scratch Gauthier and Harpur.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

I figure Spezza being the GudPro he is will find his way to more ice-time with Babcock anyways lol throwing him with 2 very fast, defensively responsible wingers, seems like it could have a recipe for success. From what I've heard Kerfoot could very likely end up playing more wing than center. Especially with Hyman out early on

kb

Aug 28, 2009
This is going to be the best roster we have had.

That's all I can really say right now :laugh: I'm still shocked at the trade yesterday
I am still trying to grasp how Dubas was able to take this team from looking like it might take a significant step back to one that appears on paper to be much stronger and deeper in most positions. Mind is blown.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
I am still trying to grasp how Dubas was able to take this team from looking like it might take a significant step back to one that appears on paper to be much stronger and deeper in most positions. Mind is blown.
The lineup without Dermott and Hyman the first month or 2 is gonna hurt, but when we’re healthy, oh boy

Reactions: kb

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
When Healthy:

Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Micheyev - - Kerfoot - - Kapanen
Marchement - - Spezza - - Moore

Rielly - - - - Barrie
Muzzin - - - - Ceci
Harpur - Dermott

Andersen

PP1:

Marner - Tavares - Matthews
Rielly - Nylander

PP2:

Kapanen - Spezza - Kerfoot
Barrie - Johnsson

PK1:

Hyman - Kapanen
Muzzin - Dermott

PK2:

Spezza - Marner
Harpur - Rielly​

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeypic

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I can’t be the only one that thinks there’s almost no chance Rielly and Barrie play together? Babcock loves his gud pros next to offensive D

Yes, and I'd have to agree with Babs on this one. Rielly and Barrie play a similar game and do not compliment each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad