Line Combos: 2019/2020 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I accept that Trouba leaving is going to happen but seeing Myers as anything even remotely close to a Trouba replacement is going to blow up in their faces spectacularly. They are better off trying to replace Trouba in the Trouba trade return than give Maurice an excuse to play Myers in a role well above his capability at a price he doesn't deserve. He's already in decline and wasn't particularly good to begin with. I'm all for getting assets for Trouba knowing that he's gone for nothing at the first opportunity (something they should have done with Myers last season) but I'm just saying, if the defence on this team next year is essentially the same minus Trouba and there was an easy out to lose Myers and Chiarot and it wasn't taken? It will be hard to recover from that.

Who are you replacing them with that's any better?

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Does Ehlers have any history of playing center? A bit out there, but there have been other NHL wings develop into centers. I thought Philly did it with Giroux. Edm experimented with Hall.
Or maybe Kyle Connor is a possibility?

Reactions: irunthepeg and GNP

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Who are you replacing them with that's any better?
If you're replacing relatively poor players with players that are roughly as good just cheaper, it's a rather large net positive. I would hope they would get someone from the Trouba deal who could at least step in and take bottom pair minutes. Niku should be ready next season and most people would agree that he would thrive playing in the extremely cushy spot next to Byfuglien that made Chiarot look far better than he really is. Maybe Poolman or Samberg can step in and play bottom pair minutes as well. It wouldn't be unreasonable to expect one of the two to be ready to contribute, it's a matter of whether Maurice would give that amount of young players a chance. Poolman is older than Trouba, now's the time to see what he has. In theory, Maurice could be traded for a depth defenceman as well. My concern is after Byfuglien and Morrissey, there are no surefire second pairing guys there but Myers and Chiarot aren't surefire second pair guys either. That, and they're going to be far more expensive than they are worth. If we can't replace replacement level guys like Myers and Chiarot, we have bigger problems that we ever realized.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think it as bad. When the Jets signed him they at least thought he would be a legit 2c for the first half of the contract. He is already a 3c and still has 5 years remaining.... and the Jets cant dump his contract anywhere because of the no movement clause. The Jets were forced to trade away a first rounder 2 years in a row because Little wasnt good enough as a legit 2c on a cup contender. Are the Jets planning on trading a first rounder every year for a 2c rental?
If the Jets have a legit 2c young prospect then it will defintely help.... but its easier said than done finding a cheap legit 2c which is why they settled for rentals. This will be one of chevys biggest challenges moving forward... how to fill in the 2c position long term on a tight budget.

Great post OP -and I agree that Little's contract is the worst the Jet's are carrying. The good thing about it, is he's a solid 3rd line center at least. He also was on pace for 50 points this year, before getting moved to the wing.

With that being said, it's still a bad contract, considering he's declining, and is only going to get worse, and the Jet's have to carry this. This was a "bad" signing by Chevy.

If I was Chevy I'd pay him so many dollars to remove that NMC, and get a list of teams he would agree to go play for. Say offer him $ 2 million to do that --cheaper than trying to buy him out.

Also I believe after 2-3 years --his NMC turns into a restricted NMC, whereby he can be moved to one of 14 teams.

This Little contract is going to weigh on the Jets for the next 4-5 years, and it won't be good.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I just cant see Copp having the offensive chops to be a 2C but I could be wrong. Can anyone point me to a 25 year old in their 5th pro season that went from a bottom 6 player to a legit 2C in one season? Pretty sure the majority of 2C's in this league, like legit ones, got there well before they turned 25.
Copp posted some pretty eye opening stats. Third among Jet regulars in points/60. Third in xGF%. Third in ixGF/60. So he created a lot of offensive chances and had a lot of points in relation to time played (more than Little, Connor, Scheifele).

He's not a traditional scoring C, but I think he's so good defensively and good enough offensively that he might be okay with a couple of talented scoring wingers. I certainly see him as being as good or better than Little at this point.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Are we just going to ignore that Myers had better shot metrics this season than Trouba? His xGPM_60 was better. That adjusts for context, teammates and opponents, over a full 82 game schedule.

I don't think Trouba was that much better than Myers this season, all things considered.

The big question is whether this is who Myers is, or whether he regresses back to some of his poor previous seasons. Inconsistency has been an issue.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I just cant see Copp having the offensive chops to be a 2C but I could be wrong. Can anyone point me to a 25 year old in their 5th pro season that went from a bottom 6 player to a legit 2C in one season? Pretty sure the majority of 2C's in this league, like legit ones, got there well before they turned 25.

Wild Bill William Karlsson.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Copp is proof that per 60 can't be compared across different TOI scenarios. Points are not gained linear to ice time.

25 points. Little gets beaten down for scoring 41.

Copp is good defensively, but i don't think he's top 6. I really wanted to see him run a stretch with Connor and maybe Roslovic just to see, but this year wasn't one for experimenting.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Great post OP -and I agree that Little's contract is the worst the Jet's are carrying. The good thing about it, is he's a solid 3rd line center at least. He also was on pace for 50 points this year, before getting moved to the wing.

With that being said, it's still a bad contract, considering he's declining, and is only going to get worse, and the Jet's have to carry this. This was a "bad" signing by Chevy.

If I was Chevy I'd pay him so many dollars to remove that NMC, and get a list of teams he would agree to go play for. Say offer him $ 2 million to do that --cheaper than trying to buy him out.

Also I believe after 2-3 years --his NMC turns into a restricted NMC, whereby he can be moved to one of 14 teams.

This Little contract is going to weigh on the Jets for the next 4-5 years, and it won't be good.
After next year, his remaining 4 years carry a M-NMC, where he provides a list of 14 teams.

One more year before he can be moved, without his permission or agreement, but it does put the Jets in a bind next year unless he contributes more to the value of his deal.

Reactions: GNP

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Okay, I'll take a crack at the 2019/20 roster. This isn't necessarily my preference, but more of a projection.

My assumptions:

Perreault and Kulikov are traded. Too much cap hit, not enough role.

Trouba is traded for picks / prospects.

Myers is re-signed, because the Jets' brain trust think he's a great guy and effective.

Chiarot is re-signed, because he's gritty.

Copp and Tanev re-signed to give the Jets some speed and punch in the line-up.

Connor and Laine get their long-term deals at $7M and $9M AAV, respectively.

I know I might be the only one, but I'm going to project Copp into a #2C role next season, between Connor and Laine. Little slides down to #3C with KVes and Roslovic. Appleton moves into the line-up with Tanev and Lowry, because Appleton is aggressive, fast, and smart defensively.

Jets better hope that Morrissey has a monster season, and that Niku and Poolman are really ready. I've got Samberg on the roster, just in case he turns out to be NHL ready next season. In that case, Niku might move over to RD with Niku and Samberg plays LD with Myers. Morrissey plays with Buff.

View attachment 219353

Definitely looks worse than this year, especially the centre depth. Presumably we'll get some sort of roster player from a hypothetical Trouba trade though, that could help out.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
After next year, his remaining 4 years carry a M-NMC, where he provides a list of 14 teams.

One more year before he can be moved, without his permission or agreement, but it does put the Jets in a bind next year unless he contributes more to the value of his deal.

Thanks for that Bob E-- and if that's the case, it's not to bad, as Little has 1-2 good years left in him. We still need a 2nd line center though, and I think Trouba should be traded to acquire one. I think he could return a very solid 2nd line center.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Copp is proof that per 60 can't be compared across different TOI scenarios. Points are not gained linear to ice time.

Per 60 is certainly better than assuming LITERALLY NOTHING would have have happened if he played an additional 2-2.5 mins a game like the other top-6 players which is basically what you are doing comparing raw point totals. His production may not translate in a role higher up the lineup but we will never know unless we try. One of the worst moment of the Jets season was when Ehlers got hurt and Maurice promoted Copp to the top line but unfortunately they got scored on through no fault of his and that line was disbanded. I wonder what could have been had he stuck with that experiment for 5-10 games.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think our 2nd line center problem could be fixed by moving Wheeler to the 2nd line and having him play center. When Scheifele was hurt the season before this one, Wheeler played center, and we won a majority of our games. ( I think we won about 75 % of our games)

Wheeler plays like a center --likes to pass first, he's a quick thinker like a center ice man has to be, and he'd have good size down the middle. He plays like a center on his right wing right now, along the boards, the way he controls the play. Especially on the power play.

I really think people would be surprised on how well this would work. The answer to our 2nd line center problem, is staring us right in the face.

Last edited:

Cato

Apr 22, 2019
Future of this team is Scheifele at C and Laine at RW. Why delay?
Wheeler and Little has historically been a good combo for a second lime. You can play with LW depending on opponent. The Scheifele/Wheeler pairing needs to end. Spread the playmaking over two lines, not one. Trading 1st picks for rental second line centres has to end. Little is what we should go with. Little’s contract really forces that decision for better or worse.

If we can keep the TLC as a 3rd line, the other forwards we have will be enough for a 4th line. We do need an agitator forward for certain teams. Someone to replace Hendricks. D-man is an entire separate post.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Future of this team is Scheifele at C and Laine at RW. Why delay?
Wheeler and Little has historically been a good combo for a second lime. You can play with LW depending on opponent. The Scheifele/Wheeler pairing needs to end. Spread the playmaking over two lines, not one. Trading 1st picks for rental second line centres has to end. Little is what we should go with. Little’s contract really forces that decision for better or worse.

If we can keep the TLC as a 3rd line, the other forwards we have will be enough for a 4th line. We do need an agitator forward for certain teams. Someone to replace Hendricks. D-man is an entire separate post.

Love everything you posted. LLW used to be a solid line for us... we know those two have good chemistry...

On the note of an agitator forward... you think the NYR would be willing to make Brendan Lemieux available? A Sabres pick a few years ago but looks like he could carve out a nice role for himself :sarcasm:

if myers kulikov and chiarot are in our top 6 D again next season i will ****

Kulikov I definitely agree. If he was paid sub-1 mil I wouldn't hate having him on the roster he just makes so much for that bottom pair. Tyler Myers is an interesting one that I would be willing to see what he wants. Chiarot would be okay in a 7th d-man role but if he's in the top-4 I will scream.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Copp posted some pretty eye opening stats. Third among Jet regulars in points/60. Third in xGF%. Third in ixGF/60. So he created a lot of offensive chances and had a lot of points in relation to time played (more than Little, Connor, Scheifele).

He's not a traditional scoring C, but I think he's so good defensively and good enough offensively that he might be okay with a couple of talented scoring wingers. I certainly see him as being as good or better than Little at this point.

I remember when Copp played between Ehlers and Laine and thought a limited sample size... He did very well. I'd like to see him have a shot with some higher skill players. His defensive prowess with his battle and pick retrieval could be a good match.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
Kulikov I definitely agree. If he was paid sub-1 mil I wouldn't hate having him on the roster he just makes so much for that bottom pair. Tyler Myers is an interesting one that I would be willing to see what he wants. Chiarot would be okay in a 7th d-man role but if he's in the top-4 I will scream.
right, the problem lies in the money they are making. all 3 are pretty much replacement level at best and barely do well enough to tread water on the 3rd pairing most nights. we simply dont have the extra money lying around to throw at players like that anymore. kulikov absolutely should be traded ASAP for a crusty old jock if possible and myers needs to be let go, as good of a guy as he is. chiarot wouldn't hurt to be kept around in the 3LHD hole to play with poolman but he will probably want a decent raise and theres no point in doing that if we have a guy like beaulieu making league minimum who can do the same thing.

Cato

Apr 22, 2019
Lemieux will have a good playoff series with the Rangers in a few years and Jets fans will all be second guessing what Chevy did this year. That said, he sold Lemieux when his value was sky high. He had his best play when the Jets were slumping. The value of the 1st round pick the Rangers got is the real sting. That said, if the Trouba soap opera finally comes to an end the Jets likely will have some picks to work with to stock the Moose for awhile. Given that the Jets have at least 4 pretty good D-Man prospects coming, I suspect Chevy has been planning for the Trouba divorce for awhile. The blue line is going to look quite different next year. It may be pretty young also as the Jets likely won't try to keep Myers even if Trouba is dealt for picks and prospects at the NHL draft. If you do the math Trouba/Meyers = >11 million in 19-20. Poolman/Niku = 1.55 million guaranteed in 19-20. That $ solves a lot of problems up front and likely gives the Jets the ability to keep TLC together which should be a priority. It is one of the best 3rd lines in hockey and works in the playoffs. Keeping the puck in the opposite teams end does wonders for your GAA.

Reactions: irunthepeg and GNP

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I don't think TLC is a realistic line. They can shut down, they can hold offense. But for those minutes, you need more goals. I don't like the Maurice approach of having lines cancel each other out. Not when the Jets are rolling out a flaccid second line. Argument could be made TLC was second line, when together.

If TLC isn't sustainable, one of Copp/Lowry is expendable. Last year Lowry was awesome. Copp was better this year.

Or just let TLC crash and bang as a 4th line.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'd trade Trouba for Borgstrom and a 1st. Then go after a veteran like Chris Tanev, offering our 2nd, Comrie and a prospect like Gustafsson or Vallatti.
Re-sign Brendan Tanev.

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

Morrissey-C. Tanev
Niku/Samberg-Buff
Kulikov-Niku/Poolman
A veteran defenseman as #7, at the right price ($1 million).

Connor-Scheif-Wheeler
Laine-Little-Roslovic/Borgstrom
Ehlers-Copp-Borgstrom/Roslovic
Tanev-Lowry-Appleton
Suess

Veselainen in the A, forcing his way onto the team. No cart before the horse. Playing 18-20 minutes on the Moose would help his development.

We would have some good training camp battles, lots of youth infused into the team, and key veterans, who can lead the charge.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
What are the odds Chevy looks to turn over the roster to the young core? Anyone with a big contract and over 30 is shipped out.

So that means moving on from guys like Buff, Little, Wheeler, Perreault, Kulikov and Hendricks.

But he resigns guys like Tanev, Myers and Chiarot. He also signs RFAs Copp, Connor and Laine, and Trouba long term. Trouba signs if Buff is moved? Probably not, but it fits this unlikely narrative. :naughty:

Moving their aging players allows them to keep the young players.

Might have to move Maurice out before Trouba signs, and that won't happen.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
We are going to lose a few players this year.
There’s little doubt that Niku will be up with the big club. Samberg will quite likely be here too. Same goes for Vesalainin.
So where does that leave our prospect pool? Probably as one of the worst in the league now. That’s worrisome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad