Line Combos: 2019/2020 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Okay, I'll take a crack at the 2019/20 roster. This isn't necessarily my preference, but more of a projection.

My assumptions:

Perreault and Kulikov are traded. Too much cap hit, not enough role.

Trouba is traded for picks / prospects.

Myers is re-signed, because the Jets' brain trust think he's a great guy and effective.

Chiarot is re-signed, because he's gritty.

Copp and Tanev re-signed to give the Jets some speed and punch in the line-up.

Connor and Laine get their long-term deals at $7M and $9M AAV, respectively.

I know I might be the only one, but I'm going to project Copp into a #2C role next season, between Connor and Laine. Little slides down to #3C with KVes and Roslovic. Appleton moves into the line-up with Tanev and Lowry, because Appleton is aggressive, fast, and smart defensively.

Jets better hope that Morrissey has a monster season, and that Niku and Poolman are really ready. I've got Samberg on the roster, just in case he turns out to be NHL ready next season. In that case, Niku might move over to RD with Niku and Samberg plays LD with Myers. Morrissey plays with Buff.

upload_2019-4-22_18-26-22.png

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not the only one. I did the same on page 1 of this thread.

I just cant see Copp having the offensive chops to be a 2C but I could be wrong. Can anyone point me to a 25 year old in their 5th pro season that went from a bottom 6 player to a legit 2C in one season? Pretty sure the majority of 2C's in this league, like legit ones, got there well before they turned 25.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I don't think he'll be a legit 2C. I just think he's the leading candidate to center Laine next season.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't think he'll be a legit 2C. I just think he's the leading candidate to center Laine next season.

At that point we might as well just trade Trouba to Detroit for that 6th and whatever else we can get. If we have Copp as a 2C and Myers playing 1D minutes. It's going to be a lost season for sure.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
At that point we might as well just trade Trouba to Detroit for that 6th and whatever else we can get. If we have Copp as a 2C and Myers playing 1D minutes. It's going to be a lost season for sure.

That's pretty much the best trade outcome that I can imagine.

I wouldn't re-sign Myers unless it was a major bargain.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
And the most likely one. The sooner we face the fact that Trouba wants out the better off we are for it. Holding onto Trouba for one season is a suicide mission. Get assets, sign Myers and lets get on with building a team.
I accept that Trouba leaving is going to happen but seeing Myers as anything even remotely close to a Trouba replacement is going to blow up in their faces spectacularly. They are better off trying to replace Trouba in the Trouba trade return than give Maurice an excuse to play Myers in a role well above his capability at a price he doesn't deserve. He's already in decline and wasn't particularly good to begin with. I'm all for getting assets for Trouba knowing that he's gone for nothing at the first opportunity (something they should have done with Myers last season) but I'm just saying, if the defence on this team next year is essentially the same minus Trouba and there was an easy out to lose Myers and Chiarot and it wasn't taken? It will be hard to recover from that.

Reactions: Board Bard

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
^^^Whileee. Barely under the cap, with roster of 22 players.

Little, as a 3rd line C, has a crippling cap deal. Doubtful he would agree to waive it to be dealt this offseason, but if he’s still a bottom 6 player a year from now, he has to be moved. But if he’s a <40 point 33 yr old player making $5+ mill for 4 more years, good luck with a team looking to add him.

Reactions: GNP

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I just cant see Copp having the offensive chops to be a 2C but I could be wrong. Can anyone point me to a 25 year old in their 5th pro season that went from a bottom 6 player to a legit 2C in one season? Pretty sure the majority of 2C's in this league, like legit ones, got there well before they turned 25.
philip danault perhaps? list is extremely light

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
^^^Whileee. Barely under the cap, with roster of 22 players.

Little, as a 3rd line C, has a crippling cap deal. Doubtful he would agree to waive it to be dealt this offseason, but if he’s still a bottom 6 player a year from now, he has to be moved. But if he’s a <40 point 33 yr old player making $5+ mill for 4 more years, good luck with a team looking to add him.
5mil isn't bad I bet most teams have a lucic deal.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
this is going to be the reality moving forward.
I dont think people realized that this season was the best overall roster the Jets had or will have over the next 5 years. It was the best case scenario where the young guys were still on rookie deals but had playoff experience. The Atlanta core was still playing near their peaks and there was cap space to fill a couple of smaller holes. This was it.... and the Jets blew it playing with little spirit the entire year. So frustrating.

And its going to get even worse next year when morrisey gets his big contract.

The Jets will be battling just to make the playoffs next year. The only good news is that if they get in they still have enough bigtime players like Laine and Scheifle that have the potential to take over games.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
this is going to be the reality moving forward.
I dont think people realized that this season was the best overall roster the Jets had or will have over the next 5 years. It was the best case scenario where the young guys were still on rookie deals but had playoff experience. The Atlanta core was still playing near their peaks and there was cap space to fill a couple of smaller holes. This was it.... and the Jets blew it playing with little spirit the entire year. So frustrating.

And its going to get even worse next year when morrisey gets his big contract.

The Jets will be battling just to make the playoffs next year. The only good news is that if they get in they still have enough bigtime players like Laine and Scheifle that have the potential to take over games.
5 yrs is an exaggeration. We trade Trouba for a 2c Samberg and Niku turn out great Buff declines less than you think we have just as good a D. Clearing deadweight like Perrault. We have a single bad season bottom league top 4 pick who is ready in 2 that's a faster turn-around than 5 years.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
What are the odds Chevy looks to turn over the roster to the young core? Anyone with a big contract and over 30 is shipped out.

So that means moving on from guys like Buff, Little, Wheeler, Perreault, Kulikov and Hendricks.

But he resigns guys like Tanev, Myers and Chiarot. He also signs RFAs Copp, Connor and Laine, and Trouba long term. Trouba signs if Buff is moved? Probably not, but it fits this unlikely narrative. :naughty:

Moving their aging players allows them to keep the young players.

Reactions: irunthepeg

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
5 yrs is an exaggeration. We trade Trouba for a 2c Samberg and Niku turn out great Buff declines less than you think we have just as good a D. Clearing deadweight like Perrault. We have a single bad season bottom league top 4 pick who is ready in 2 that's a faster turn-around than 5 years.

Jets will never be able to afford a legit 2c as long as little is on the roster. It will be a young player who will be prone to making mistakes. None of the Jets defensive prospects have the potential of Trouba... will be near impossible to replace him with an equal. Im not too worried about Buff next year but he will certainly decline over the next 2-3 at his age. Likewise Wheeler and Little. Jets will never be a real bad team... at worst a bubble teams so they wont have a very high draft pick. I picked 5 years because thats around the time most of the long term deals the jets have expire.

Im not saying the jets cant win a cup... anything can happen... but this season was the best shot in terms of odds and they blew it. Couldnt even win the division. Jets also had a full roster...sure a few guys were playing injured but they had a full set of bodies this year and last year... what are the chances of that happening every year going into the playoffs?

There should have been some true urgency to win this year. There was by the organization which is why they traded a first rounder for Hayes. Too bad the players never felt that urgency and coasted into the playoffs.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Everything Chevy and TNSE have done over the past eight years would suggest that the only move that is likely to happen is Trouba for a pick and a prospect (but only due to neccessity) and re-signing Chiarot, Myers and Tanev. He may or may not sign a depth defenceman and a depth forward but all that will accomplish is taking minutes away from Niku, Roslovic and Appleton. The team's front office is always the last one to realize that a window is closing and not that this is necessarily the case here, but it's pretty clear that this exact core minus Trouba is unlikely to get it done. The lack of a second line centre and depth defenceman makes it very hard to be a legitimate cup contender and losing Trouba makes that second problem far more prominent.

I hope I'm wrong but we've all seen Chevy's m.o. by now.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
What are the odds Chevy looks to turn over the roster to the young core? Anyone with a big contract and over 30 is shipped out.

So that means moving on from guys like Buff, Little, Wheeler, Perreault, Kulikov and Hendricks.

But he resigns guys like Tanev, Myers and Chiarot. He also signs RFAs Copp, Connor and Laine, and Trouba long term. Trouba signs if Buff is moved? Probably not, but it fits this unlikely narrative. :naughty:

Moving their aging players allows them to keep the young players.
Little has a no movement clause. Its mind boggling how Little not only got a long term deal but a no movement clause on top of it. Even Wheeler and Buff could only manage a no trade clause to 14 teams.

The Little contract is the new Pavs contract.

Reactions: irunthepeg and GNP

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Little has a no movement clause. Its mind boggling how Little not only got a long term deal but a no movement clause on top of it. Even Wheeler and Buff could only manage a no trade clause to 14 teams.

Little can at least play at the NHL level. He's better served as a 3C but the Jets can still win a cup with an overpaid Little. He impressed me late in the season, even if he's far from perfect and very clearly on the decline. Pavelec was a bad backup goalie for his entire NHL career and Chevy basically forced both of our coaches to play him with that contract. They aren't comparable contracts.

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Philly has allegedly made Gotisbehere available, would he be a fit? He has a lot of offensive upside, but has caused fits with inconsistency

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Maybe he took less money in exchange for that. Re your previous post you are probably right, but need to be hopeful or what's the point? At least for me if I know they'll suck for next 6 years what's point in tuning in.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
Little can at least play at the NHL level. He's better served as a 3C but the Jets can still win a cup with an overpaid Little. He impressed me late in the season, even if he's far from perfect and very clearly on the decline. Pavelec was a bad backup goalie for his entire NHL career and Chevy basically forced both of our coaches to play him with that contract. They aren't comparable contracts.
I think it as bad. When the Jets signed him they at least thought he would be a legit 2c for the first half of the contract. He is already a 3c and still has 5 years remaining.... and the Jets cant dump his contract anywhere because of the no movement clause. The Jets were forced to trade away a first rounder 2 years in a row because Little wasnt good enough as a legit 2c on a cup contender. Are the Jets planning on trading a first rounder every year for a 2c rental?
If the Jets have a legit 2c young prospect then it will defintely help.... but its easier said than done finding a cheap legit 2c which is why they settled for rentals. This will be one of chevys biggest challenges moving forward... how to fill in the 2c position long term on a tight budget.

Reactions: GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad