Line Combos: 2019/2020 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Might have to move Maurice out before Trouba signs, and that won't happen.
Why? Trouba' s problem is with Buff and how he blocks Trouba's being "the guy". Which is just his ego as Trouba is not good enough to be the best defender on any contender.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd trade Trouba for Borgstrom and a 1st. Then go after a veteran like Chris Tanev, offering our 2nd, Comrie and a prospect like Gustafsson or Vallatti.
Re-sign Brendan Tanev.

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

Morrissey-C. Tanev
Niku/Samberg-Buff
Kulikov-Niku/Poolman
A veteran defenseman as #7, at the right price ($1 million).

Connor-Scheif-Wheeler
Laine-Little-Roslovic/Borgstrom
Ehlers-Copp-Borgstrom/Roslovic
Tanev-Lowry-Appleton
Suess

Veselainen in the A, forcing his way onto the team. No cart before the horse. Playing 18-20 minutes on the Moose would help his development.

We would have some good training camp battles, lots of youth infused into the team, and key veterans, who can lead the charge.
Csw should be broken up but won't be.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Why? Trouba' s problem is with Buff and how he blocks Trouba's being "the guy". Which is just his ego as Trouba is not good enough to be the best defender on any contender.

I think Trouba soured on Maurice going back to the Stu days and hasn't come around much, if at all. IMO.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
DELETE

Attachments

• ZZZ-Jet's noose.gif
    ZZZ-Jet's noose.gif
    977.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
We are going to lose a few players this year.
There’s little doubt that Niku will be up with the big club. Samberg will quite likely be here too. Same goes for Vesalainin.
So where does that leave our prospect pool? Probably as one of the worst in the league now. That’s worrisome.

Hopefully a Trouba trade will help mitigate this if the Jets acquire some picks and/or prospects for him

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
When it comes to Tanev, i think 3x$2.5m is as far as I'd go. Part of me wants to see the Jets roll 9-17-18 as their shut down line though next year. Then a youth line on the 4th.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don't want Charoit in the top 4 defense but i like his physical game and if we lost him we only have Buff as any kind of physical defensemen . Trouba would sorta be in there but i think he's traded . I know you want fast , good skating defensemen but i think you need a good mix , especially come playoffs .

Reactions: irunthepeg

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
May not even recognize the Jets next year or the Moose

UFAs

Hayes
Tanev
Lindholm
Hendricks
Myers
Chiarot
Kiselevich
Broadhurst
Kerdiles
Griffith
Lipon
Schilling

RFAs

Copp
Trouba
Laine
Connor
Beaulieu
Morrow
Brossoit
Comrie
Dano
Suess
Shaw
Nogier
Olingy
Appleby

And assuming the cap doesn't go up, the projected cap space for next season as of today is: $23,872,503

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Okay, I'll take a crack at the 2019/20 roster. This isn't necessarily my preference, but more of a projection.

My assumptions:

Perreault and Kulikov are traded. Too much cap hit, not enough role.

Trouba is traded for picks / prospects.

Myers is re-signed, because the Jets' brain trust think he's a great guy and effective.

Chiarot is re-signed, because he's gritty.

Copp and Tanev re-signed to give the Jets some speed and punch in the line-up.

Connor and Laine get their long-term deals at $7M and $9M AAV, respectively.

I know I might be the only one, but I'm going to project Copp into a #2C role next season, between Connor and Laine. Little slides down to #3C with KVes and Roslovic. Appleton moves into the line-up with Tanev and Lowry, because Appleton is aggressive, fast, and smart defensively.

Jets better hope that Morrissey has a monster season, and that Niku and Poolman are really ready. I've got Samberg on the roster, just in case he turns out to be NHL ready next season. In that case, Niku might move over to RD with Niku and Samberg plays LD with Myers. Morrissey plays with Buff.

View attachment 219353

Great post. I have no desire to go into this much detail, so I'm glad that some here do.

I'm completely on the same page regarding Copp. He is impressing me more every year. Probably one of our most underrated players imo. I would love to see him get an opportunity in the top 6.

Reactions: Total Cure

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We are going to lose a few players this year.
There’s little doubt that Niku will be up with the big club. Samberg will quite likely be here too. Same goes for Vesalainin.
So where does that leave our prospect pool? Probably as one of the worst in the league now. That’s worrisome.
It's okay to have a poor prospect pool while you have one of the best young rosters in the league, but they'll need to start replenishing it for 5-7 years in the future.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Does Ehlers have any history of playing center? A bit out there, but there have been other NHL wings develop into centers. I thought Philly did it with Giroux. Edm experimented with Hall.
Or maybe Kyle Connor is a possibility?
I agree 100% his skating is elite he has made great strides defensively his dad is a coach .I feel centre is where he belongs.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
What are the odds Chevy looks to turn over the roster to the young core? Anyone with a big contract and over 30 is shipped out.

So that means moving on from guys like Buff, Little, Wheeler, Perreault, Kulikov and Hendricks.

But he resigns guys like Tanev, Myers and Chiarot. He also signs RFAs Copp, Connor and Laine, and Trouba long term. Trouba signs if Buff is moved? Probably not, but it fits this unlikely narrative. :naughty:

Moving their aging players allows them to keep the young players.

I'm probably speaking too close to just being eliminated, but I would absolutely turn the whole thing over right now. Trade everyone you mentioned and lets get this youth-show on the road, along with the assets that come from those trades.

Reactions: Board Bard

Baringham

Jul 6, 2017
Logan Stanley is from my hometown of Waterloo, Ontario and I watched him play AAA hockey and with the Kitchener Rangers. How was he in the minors this year? With the Jets probably losing dmen this year, does he have a chance to be the 7th or 8th d?

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
With the inevitable looming overhead, how would you like the roster to look on opening day of the 19/20 season, and how do you expect it to look?

UFAs:
Hayes, Tanev, Lindholm, Hendricks, Myers, Chiarot, Kiselevich

RFAs:
Copp, Laine, Connor, Trouba, Beaulieu, Morrow, Brossoit, Comrie

Find the money to keep Tanev. He has better hands around the net than we ever thought, tries harder than anybody and is a great mix of spark and production.

I'm sure we don't have to break the bank to keep Chairot. He's effective and seems to know his limitations.

Can't afford Myers or Hayes... especially when you consider their shortcomings (particularly The Invisible Man that cost us a first round draft pick). Hendricks can help out the equipment manager, while Lindholm can drive the bus from the rink to the hotel.

RFA's

Find the money to keep Copp if it's reasonable. Drop other salaries to be able to sign Laine and Conner. I'd keep Beaulieu as a bottom pairing d-man. Morrow can stay as a depth guy, but I'd let him go if necessary. Same with Comrie. Keep him on the Moose. Can't afford Trouba... trade him (I think he's still trying to freeze the puck behind the net in St. Louis). See if Brossoit will stick around for at least another year.

Three other ways to free up salary... look at moving Ehlers, Perreault and Little. I don't care how young Ehlers is or how many goals he scores in the regular season - he's 0 for 23 games when it comes to scoring in the playoffs. Inexcusable! In Little's case, he's lost a step and although he is still useful, he's not useful at the salary we're paying him. Perreault is on the down slope.

Obviously, I think a priority for us is to find more strength down the middle in the off season, especially if Hayes and Little are no longer Jets.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
May not even recognize the Jets next year or the Moose

UFAs

Hayes
Tanev
Lindholm
Hendricks
Myers
Chiarot
Kiselevich
Broadhurst
Kerdiles
Griffith
Lipon
Schilling

RFAs

Copp
Trouba
Laine
Connor
Beaulieu
Morrow
Brossoit
Comrie
Dano
Suess
Shaw
Nogier
Olingy
Appleby

And assuming the cap doesn't go up, the projected cap space for next season as of today is: $23,872,503

I don't know if the Jets hang on to any of their UFAs. Tanev and Chiarot seem like the most likely to stay. I think a lot of the AHL guys will be moving on to Europe or elsewhere...

Out of the RFAs, I think everyone expects Trouba to be traded. Morrow should be cut loose. Beaulieu won't get qualified so he may move on. Dano to Europe. Appleby also goes (they'll have another Appleby type next year). Comrie, I don't know...the Jets don't really have anyone of note besides Berdin in their system. Holm and Moe are busts. So maybe Comrie stays for one more year?

Everyone else in that RFA group is probably here for next year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->