Line Combos: 2019/2020 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
With the inevitable looming overhead, how would you like the roster to look on opening day of the 19/20 season, and how do you expect it to look?

UFAs:
Hayes, Tanev, Lindholm, Hendricks, Myers, Chiarot, Kiselevich

RFAs:
Copp, Laine, Connor, Trouba, Beaulieu, Morrow, Brossoit, Comrie

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd offer Hayes a cheap contract. Lindholm and Kiselevich might each get a cheap contract. Hendricks questionable. But if he retires Winnipeg adds them to their staff.

Myers, Chiarot and Tanev leave for bigger contracts and opportunities.

Copp we should sign to a similar contract to Lowry's.
Laine try and sign a cheap long-term deal with him. But I think he'll bounce back next season. 7 years x 7.5 Million. But I bet his agent will try and get a short-term deal.
Connor I'd do 8 years x 6 Million, but don't know if he would.
Beaulieu to 3 years x 2.5 Million
Morrow we could let walk, but I think a small contract wouldn't hurt, likely waiver-bait.
Brossoit we should sign to a 1-year deal worth 1.5 Million.
Comrie we could sign to an extension but I think he'd try signing elsewhere.

We're stuck with Little, but best to hold onto him till 2021 for the expansion draft.

Trade Trouba to Pittsburgh for 1st, 2nd, Addison and Gudbranson

Get rid of any cancer in the room.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd offer Hayes a cheap contract. Lindholm and Kiselevich might each get a cheap contract. Hendricks questionable. But if he retires Winnipeg adds them to their staff.

Laine try and sign a cheap long-term deal with him. But I think he'll bounce back next season. 7 years x 7.5 Million. But I bet his agent will try and get a short-term deal.
Morrow we could let walk, but I think a small contract wouldn't hurt, likely waiver-bait.

We're stuck with Little, but best to hold onto him till 2021 for the expansion draft.

Not happening Connor signs same as Ehlers cap has gone up. He has proven him a goal scorer you pay for those. He has a lot more play off goals than Ehlers and can show in every category salary starts at 7. Ehlers got 6 with no playoff goals.

Reactions: Ippenator

MasochisticHamster

Nov 5, 2017
Winnipeg
I know its not going to happen, but I would love to see a major retool of this roster. I've never liked the pure 'draft and develop' model of keeping vets around and developing our young guns slowly. By the time the roster is ready to go the vets are on the wrong side of thirty and you have a significantly shorter window then you would have otherwise. So trade Wheeler, Little, Byfuglien and Trouba for as many high quality prospects and picks that you can get. With the roster we have, we might get one or two more realistic shots at the cup. If we drop down the standings for around 2 years then we just might have a decade long window with Connor, Ehlers, Laine, Morrisey and whoever else we can add to that young nucleus. I never liked trading away first round picks; if you use them right then you shouldn't have to trade them for short term gains.

Just my take, but I don't see Wheeler or Byfuglien taking us to a Cup in a such a small window. The solution to me seems obvious; open the window.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If Chevy would stop trading 1st round picks then we could keep our vets and our young talent and the window might stay open long term.

I'll opt for the do as little as possible route this summer.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Copp-Laine
Perreault-Little-Roslovic
Vesalainen-Lowry-Appleton

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I know its not going to happen, but I would love to see a major retool of this roster. I've never liked the pure 'draft and develop' model of keeping vets around and developing our young guns slowly. By the time the roster is ready to go the vets are on the wrong side of thirty and you have a significantly shorter window then you would have otherwise. So trade Wheeler, Little, Byfuglien and Trouba for as many high quality prospects and picks that you can get. With the roster we have, we might get one or two more realistic shots at the cup. If we drop down the standings for around 2 years then we just might have a decade long window with Connor, Ehlers, Laine, Morrisey and whoever else we can add to that young nucleus. I never liked trading away first round picks; if you use them right then you shouldn't have to trade them for short term gains.

Just my take, but I don't see Wheeler or Byfuglien taking us to a Cup in a such a small window. The solution to me seems obvious; open the window.
Alas Wheeler and Lits have Nmc

BaldAndBeautiful

Jackie loves it rough
Apr 22, 2018
Our roster will look very different next year. Should be interesting. I wouldn’t mind off-season trades of Trouba and Ehlers. Let’s shake things up!

Reactions: Larabee

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Chairot and Tanev are infinitely replaceable with better and cheaper talent. Remember Chairot was a 7th defenceman last year and only got paired with Buff because he shot left handed. Let someone else pay for their career years.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I would also add the roster is very good if they can keep Hayes. But they need a coach that can get the most of his lineup and actually develop players with some ceiling. Look no further than Dano, Peran, and now it looks like Niku and Roslovic are getting the same treatment.
Fire this coach and staff and get a progressive thinker in there.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I would also add the roster is very good off they can keep Hayes. But they need a coach that can get the most of his lineup and actually develop players with some ceiling. Look no further than Dano, Peran, and now it looks like Niku and Roslovic are getting the same treatment.
Fire this coach and staff and get a progressive thinker in there.
I agree the Jets need to change the coach. I think they have tuned him out / not buying his message. I do recognize though that the team is still very young and while the prospects you list have not made big leaps on the big team Maurice has done well with Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Copp, Morrissey, Trouba...all young guys playing key roles on his team.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Our roster will look very different next year. Should be interesting. I wouldn’t mind off-season trades of Trouba and Ehlers. Let’s shake things up!
There will be a shake up for sure. Whatever happens with Trouba will be a big change. Plus the fallout from that - do they try and keep Chairot (I think they do) and Myers (I hope not - think another team will overpay him). And, if they do fire the coaching staff that is a huge shakeup. The other unknown is what some have speculated as a rift in the dressing room. Does another player have to go ala E Kane?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I agree the Jets need to change the coach. I think they have tuned him out / not buying his message. I do recognize though that the team is still very young and while the prospects you list have not made big leaps on the big team Maurice has done well with Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Copp, Morrissey, Trouba...all young guys playing key roles on his team.

They were going to play key roles on the team regardless of who was coaching because that's what Chevy wanted. So Maurice gets no credit for that. As for his development of those players, I've said it before and it's still true IMO: a better coach would have done a better job.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Connor-Schiefele-Ehlers
Laine-Little-Wheeler
Copp-Lowry-Tanev
Vesalainen-Roslovic-Appleton

Basically, modest changes up front. I will have to navel gaze over our D for awhile.

Great lines on paper. But nothing there fixes the rot that crept in.

Whodey204

Oct 2, 2017
Connor-Schiefele-Ehlers
Laine-Little-Wheeler
Copp-Lowry-Tanev
Vesalainen-Roslovic-Appleton

Basically, modest changes up front. I will have to navel gaze over our D for awhile.
I like that forward line up. It's really a shame Maurice never reunited Little and Wheeler. We very possibly could have improved both top lines by making such a simple and obvious switch.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Offer Hayes a cheap contract all you want, he won't take it. He's gonna get money on the open market. Might not be the best fit for the Jets cap situation.

I expect Kiselevich to go back to Russia.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Trouba has to be traded. I see no point in keeping him as an own rental now.

Wheeler and Buff should be traded. I think Wheeler and Schief are the root cause of the discord on the team but Scheif could still be salvageable with Wheeler gone. Wheeler trade has to happen fast before his NMC kicks in.

Buff may be loved but he's a declining asset and I think Bad Buff shows up too often. That was in evidence last night in a critical game. He can still be traded to the 17 teams not on his no-trade list. Take the best offer (preferably in the east) and move on.

With Wheeler and Buff gone, Little might feel like the old gang has broken up and waive his NMC for a desirable location. Maybe Vegas will want him. Every player loves Vegas. Every player wants to be a Golden Knight. Who wouldn't waive his NMC to play for the perfect team in the perfect city? Even if he gets press boxed, I'll bet they have the perfect buffet up there cause they're just so much better than everyone else. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->