Line Combos: 2019/2020 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Three balanced scoring lines could fix a lot of issues.
Yup, or even 4.

Tonight:

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Copp-Ehlers
Perreault-Lowry-Appleton
Bourque-Gustafsson-Roslovic

with Little:

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Ehlers
Perreault-Gustafsson-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Appleton

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Yup, or even 4.

Tonight:

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Copp-Ehlers
Perreault-Lowry-Appleton

with Little:

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Ehlers
Copp-Lowry-Appleton

Why is this so hard!?!?!?! :cry:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Yup, or even 4.

Tonight:

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Copp-Ehlers
Perreault-Lowry-Appleton

with Little:

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Little-Ehlers
Copp-Lowry-Appleton

Little is on the IR, which is Niku's opportunity. I think Maurice wanted to protect his young centre on the road. He is deploying 4 good centres with the current lineup. Minnesota is a team that Gustafsson faced in the preseason. He battled well against Staal from what I remember. I would be proud of Maurice if he gave the kid a start in the home opener.

My 4 line lineup would be

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Copp-Roslovic (give this kid a promotion, you can see him chomping at the bit)
Perreault-Gustafsson-Ehlers (Ehlers and Gus could have chemistry right away)
Bourque-Lowry-Appleton (the speed of Appleton is a completely different dynamic from Letestu)

Morrissey-Pionk
Heinola-Poolman
Kulikov-Niku

As the d-pairings?

Letestu, Bitetto, Dahlstrom in the PB.

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
Will be interesting to see how the top 2 lines will be formed when Little comes back.
I wish it would be Laine-Scheiffele-Connor and Ehlers-Little-Wheeler but we all know that´s not gonna happen.
That 1st line did not play well last night against Pittsburg even if they scored 3 (+ that offside goal), and the 2nd line did not really get anything done except for that great goal by Ehlers but that was all him.
Missing training camp really shows in Connor´s game but he will soon get back on track and Laine is still far from what he can and will perform this season.
Since Wheeler+Scheiffele is unfortunatly a lock then I think they should put Ehlers with them and put Little with Laine and Connor AND distribute the minutes equally between those two lines

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Will be interesting to see how the top 2 lines will be formed when Little comes back.
I wish it would be Laine-Scheiffele-Connor and Ehlers-Little-Wheeler but we all know that´s not gonna happen.
That 1st line did not play well last night against Pittsburg even if they scored 3 (+ that offside goal), and the 2nd line did not really get anything done except for that great goal by Ehlers but that was all him.
Missing training camp really shows in Connor´s game but he will soon get back on track and Laine is still far from what he can and will perform this season.
Since Wheeler+Scheiffele is unfortunatly a lock then I think they should put Ehlers with them and put Little with Laine and Connor AND distribute the minutes equally between those two lines

While I agree that the top line of LSW isn't ideal due to having team's 3 best forwards in my line and about spreading minutes equally, there is absolutely no frigging way I would even contemplate slotting Little anywhere near Laine nor Connor or even Ehlers. Keep Copp there if you don't want to take a chance with Rosy, but do not commit the same exact mistake that's been done for the past two years straight having over 100 games of data it's not going to work. That would be stupidity if not borderline insanity. If you try something over and over again and it always backfires, how the heck would it suddenly start to function after some hundred attempts especially when Little has shown no signs of getting back to his old self (prior to 16-17)? There was one line Little did play well with and I think it was with Perreault and Connor but not sure if I remember correctly. That would probably push Ehlers down at the bottom six though so I wouldn't try that unless I had to.

The good thing about this team is that they can even afford to keep LSW intact for the time being if they play as well as they did last night because there is depth, even if that isn't in the middle. Either get a new center, trying Roslovic <=> Copp ór even Copp <=> Wheelers or do nothing with the top six. Little should reinforce the Lowry line once he gets back and they'd have one really good shut down line. Also if Laine does go back to 2nd line they have to send Ehlers up and keep Laine with Connor. They've shown far better chemistry than Laine and Ehlers.

Anyway for now luckily there's no need to change anything. Give the LSW five or so games and we'll see how it looks in the longer term and if it's enough to keep the team winning games. That chemistry with Laine and Scheifele was there again and they almost got four points each. They have the ability to elevate one another which hasn't disappeared even if they haven't played much at all with each other the past two years. Too bad Maurice is reigned by Wheelers so he'll make sure Wheelers will never be the odd man out no matter what happens next.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting to see the summer whipping boys leading in goals (Pionk) and assists (Laine) :laugh:
I’m enjoying the on ice product, not predictable which is fun to watch.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Heinola... man, if he is rookie of the month I am buying his jersey, mark my words. The kid is just impressive thus far.
He is. Do they keep him? They have to because of D situation but would they otherwise? He obviously belongs but do they think he can withstand the long nhl season? What’s best for him? I hope he stays.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Laine , Scheif and Wheeler 2 Connor , Little and Ehlers 3 Frenchie , Roslovic and Appleton 4 Copp , Lowry and Bourque . It's just that easy Maurice . :naughty:

Keduzin

May 5, 2009
While I agree that the top line of LSW isn't ideal due to having team's 3 best forwards in my line and about spreading minutes equally, there is absolutely no frigging way I would even contemplate slotting Little anywhere near Laine nor Connor or even Ehlers. Keep Copp there if you don't want to take a chance with Rosy, but do not commit the same exact mistake that's been done for the past two years straight having over 100 games of data it's not going to work. That would be stupidity if not borderline insanity. If you try something over and over again and it always backfires, how the heck would it suddenly start to function after some hundred attempts especially when Little has shown no signs of getting back to his old self (prior to 16-17)? There was one line Little did play well with and I think it was with Perreault and Connor but not sure if I remember correctly. That would probably push Ehlers down at the bottom six though so I wouldn't try that unless I had to.

I agree that the thought of Laine with Little gives me a major migraine but Laine seems more ready to play an more aggressive role and the Jets system has also changed since last season. I would still maybe give that line one more look since Maurice won´t move Wheeler from that top line even if that would be the right thing to do, or at least try it. Laine and Wheeler on the same line did not work that well last night. Laine did all the work and got no passes from the other two. Did he have one shot(the one that ended up with Pionk scoring) last night ?
Laine has in these 4 games allready proven that he ain´t no one trick pony and has played pretty well even though he is far from what he will be later on in the season. If that line with Little still does not work it should be quite clear who the weak link in that line is

Whileee

May 29, 2010
From his interview today, it seems that Maurice is looking to ease Little back into a C role, but perhaps more limited to start with. He also seems to like how some of the current combinations are functioning, particularly in the top-6. That might create the following scenario.

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Copp-Ehlers
Perreault-Little-Roslovic
Bourque-Lowry-Appleton

That gives the Jets 3 good scoring lines, and adds some speed and skill on the 4th line with Appleton, who has had a strong start to this season, in my view.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
From his interview today, it seems that Maurice is looking to ease Little back into a C role, but perhaps more limited to start with. He also seems to like how some of the current combinations are functioning, particularly in the top-6. That might create the following scenario.

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Copp-Ehlers
Bourque-Lowry-Appleton

That gives the Jets 3 good scoring lines, and adds some speed and skill on the 4th line with Appleton, who has had a strong start to this season, in my view.

Positionally that is our 4 best centres, I don't mind this at all. Letestu holds back the effectiveness of the checking line, because of his speed. I would say Appleton is the closest we have to Tanev on our team, in terms of energy shift in, shift out.

Reactions: Jack722

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Copp-Ehlers
Bourque-Lowry-Appleton

I can live with that if it actually happens. We’ll see though.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Copp-Ehlers
Bourque-Lowry-Appleton

Really like this lineup. I hope we roll with it for a bit; still liking what Copp brings at C.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Yeah you may be right about Roslovic and I'm not even arguing that he's by far the best potential candidate for the job. He certainly wasn't, or rather didn't seem like one last season. Then again he's just reaching to the age where a lot of players make their breakthroughs. Just look at Zibanejad for instance who was already 25 when he finally figured things out. Aside from the experience Roslovic has traits Copp doesn't have which are crucial for any top six center. Being able to move around with the puck more fluidly, having a pretty decent shot, more advanced passing capabilities and I think generally he sees the ice better than Copp. When is the last time he really got a good showcase in the better half of the twelve men forward crew? Can't even remember.

I've been paying attention to Copp a lot and his distribution ability is far below than any average C in the league. Now particularly for a center that's a huge red flag. He doesn't connect all that often and wastes opportunities and once a link breaks the tide turns as we know. I do like the way he's pushing forward unafraid of getting his hands dirty and generally doing his best out there, but I'd prefer soft hands instead of a rigid pair. Which is why I mentioned that instead of waiting yet another injury, Maurice could at least try it for one or two games. Even with improved wingers of Laine and Connor, they really haven't been able to create as much high end scoring chances as one could hope for, yet at the end they wouldn't even need a great C, just a good one.

But as I mentioned if Roslo isn't ready or doesn't have it within him then I see either Wheelers or Perreault as the other potential candidates. The problem with the two is they've spend the past years on the wings but both have at least some experience. Looking further by now it's abundantly clear Little should stay far away from the youngsters/top six and unless Maurice isn't willing to reunite him with Wheelers (which he clearly isn), then these are the options. For a team with extremely weak back end, they absolutely cannot afford bad chemistry nor dysfunctional line combinations with missing links, because each top line has to contribute pretty much on nightly basis - in other words, outscore the opponent.

Anyway I'm certain Copp will remain where he is no matter what comes next as long as he's healthy, cause you know Maurice is Maurice. I'd even argue that trying to outsmart him as far as the line utilization is concerned can be done by basically over half of the fan base. Also I'm not complaining since it seems Laine is finally getting a chance to prove himself in the top line (though that may not last more than a one game if he doesn't produce immediately and/or the Jers lose knowing how the things work). Which is of course nice, but at the same time probably unwise to have your best forwards in one line. Anyway I guess the point is you don't know until you try. Doing my best to remain as optimistic as I can but it isn't easy. ;)
The centres # 1 priority is defence and Copp is an elite defender .

Reactions: hn777

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
IF Buff returns I see Heinola getting sent back.
Jmo Pionk
Niku Buff
Kulikov Poolman
Beaulieu

Without Buff, who knows. I like the player a ton but will he develop better here Or overseas one more year to over ripen is the question.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
What I'm praying to see this year...

Connor Scheif Laine
Copp Wheeler Ehlers
Perreault Little Roslovic
Harkins Lowry Appleton

Morrisey Buff
Niku Pionk
Kulikov Poolman

I’d really like to see Ehlers and Laine with Scheif and Little between Connor and Wheeler. Perrault Copp Roslo as the third line. If Roslo struggles put Lowry there and Shore can centre him and Apples.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I’d really like to see Ehlers and Laine with Scheif and Little between Connor and Wheeler. Perrault Copp Roslo as the third line. If Roslo struggles put Lowry there and Shore can centre him and Apples.
I'd love to see Ehlers and Connor. We have 3 top wingers the top line should be reserved for whoever is hot right now.

Reactions: hn777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad