Line Combos: 2019/2020 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Logan Stanley is from my hometown of Waterloo, Ontario and I watched him play AAA hockey and with the Kitchener Rangers. How was he in the minors this year? With the Jets probably losing dmen this year, does he have a chance to be the 7th or 8th d?
He picked up his scoring as the season went on. He still needs to work on his defense though. I imagine the plan will be to continue to play him a lot with the Moose next year, so I wouldn't think he'd be a 7th/8th guy (they'll sit an older guy in the pressbox).

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Logan Stanley is from my hometown of Waterloo, Ontario and I watched him play AAA hockey and with the Kitchener Rangers. How was he in the minors this year? With the Jets probably losing dmen this year, does he have a chance to be the 7th or 8th d?
I think the consensus here is that he is a year or two away. The curve seems to be going up though.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
So hard to talk lines until after we see some movement from the draft, free agency and what happens with our RFA's. If Connor and Laine haven't signed by August I'll be all...

giphy.gif

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Trouba has to be traded. I see no point in keeping him as an own rental now.

Wheeler and Buff should be traded. I think Wheeler and Schief are the root cause of the discord on the team but Scheif could still be salvageable with Wheeler gone. Wheeler trade has to happen fast before his NMC kicks in.

Buff may be loved but he's a declining asset and I think Bad Buff shows up too often. That was in evidence last night in a critical game. He can still be traded to the 17 teams not on his no-trade list. Take the best offer (preferably in the east) and move on.

With Wheeler and Buff gone, Little might feel like the old gang has broken up and waive his NMC for a desirable location. Maybe Vegas will want him. Every player loves Vegas. Every player wants to be a Golden Knight. Who wouldn't waive his NMC to play for the perfect team in the perfect city? Even if he gets press boxed, I'll bet they have the perfect buffet up there cause they're just so much better than everyone else. :sarcasm:

You're kidding right?
Are you actually suggesting that the Jets trade Wheeler, Buff & Little in the same off season (when all 3 have NMC or whatever they have) on top of losing Trouba.
Heck why stop there... lets trade Scheif, Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Morrisey... empty the roster.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Traded Trouba and minor pieces to Detroit for AA and Bowey.

Traded Perreault and Kulikov for future considerations.

Signed Laine and Connor long term.

I'd say the d is definitely weaker but forward wise the lineup is largely intact and the best depth we've had going into the year the past 3 seasons.

Would require a coaching philosophy shift though relying on the great forward depth to compensate for D by playing a more balanced ice time, tighter checking style with a heavy forecheck to allow less pressure on defending in our own end.

00ED7BA8-3DF3-4324-9C9B-E0FE6053AABF.jpeg

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The one silver lining of potentially losing Trouba is we can maybe finally get a clear-cut #1 pairing of Morrissey-Byfuglien. I won't be happy if I see Chiarot-Byfuglien again next year.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

I'd say the d is definitely weaker but forward wise the lineup is largely intact and the best depth we've had going into the year the past 3 seasons.

Would require a coaching philosophy shift though relying on the great forward depth to compensate for D by playing a more balanced ice time, tighter checking style with a heavy forecheck to allow less pressure on defending in our own end.

View attachment 220233

Athanasiou's one of my favourite non-Jets but I'm not sure if he's good enough to be our 2C right now. That being said, 2Cs don't grow on trees.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
You're kidding right?
Are you actually suggesting that the Jets trade Wheeler, Buff & Little in the same off season (when all 3 have NMC or whatever they have) on top of losing Trouba.
Heck why stop there... lets trade Scheif, Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Morrisey... empty the roster.

Trading declining assets in their mid-thirties is good business if you can do it. It's definitely a bit agressive to think it could happen in one offseason.

This is the last chance to trade Wheeler before his nmc kicks in.

I'd keep Buff around. He might want to retire to fish after this contract. Or he might play on yearly deals. Would be a good 3RD in his twilight and a nice addition to the rafters of BellMTS.

Little will likely see out his contract as a moderate overpay as he shifts to a 3RW role. Can't see him getting anything of value in return. Not sure when his nmc scales back.

One of 18-26 could be a compliance buyout candidate under the next CBA.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I would be livid if Chevy made that trade. AA is garbage at centre, and if we're moving Trouba for a forward it needs to be a young centre IMO.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
I would be livid if Chevy made that trade. AA is garbage at centre, and if we're moving Trouba for a forward it needs to be a young centre IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'd gladly trade Trouba for Werenski or someone else's young stud D man if we could. I just think we're going to be very underwhelmed with the actual return so I think an ok package of decent younger players is more realistic.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
For the past year I have been team "euro centre". It's worth a shot seeing if 27/29 can gel with someone familiar with the euro game. Ves too

Cato

Apr 22, 2019

View attachment 220233
$ for Connor and Laine looks too high! Laine is a bridge likely (best for both sides right now). Connor, likely long term but not at the number (I hope).

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Don't get me wrong, I'd gladly trade Trouba for Werenski or someone else's young stud D man if we could. I just think we're going to be very underwhelmed with the actual return so I think an ok package of decent younger players is more realistic.
I don't think Bowey is a decent young player and I think Appleseed will take the place of Tanev on the Lowry line.

Reactions: boydkc

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
You're kidding right?

Trading Wheeler before his contract kicks in would be a smart move.

Trading Buff to keep Trouba would be a smart move.

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018

He’s a year away from being a year away.

Reactions: DannyGallivan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->