Line Combos: 2019/2020 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

I guess this is likely to be the opening-day roster then?
I like the ESW line, although I'm still hoping one day Laine will assume that RW spot
CCL should be interesting, I doubt Copp is a long-term solution there but hopefully he does well
I'm not really sure what to make of the bottom 6, time will tell I suppose
I'm fairly surprised that Bourque, Letestu, and Bitetto all made the roster, kind of figured those guys were mostly Moose or PB fodder
Defence looks terrible - I really hope Buff comes back ASAP
Cool that Gus stuck around but too bad that he's scratched
Looks like Heinola will be playing though, who is probably the only newcomer of interest (although maybe Pionk will be good, who knows)

Reactions: Board Bard

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That line should mainly rush and create chances off that, it's the strength of both wingers. Cycle game is all good and well, unless you are so good off the rush that you score more that way than cycling. Then you should probably do what works best.

What matters the most in this is what role Copp will have in the line. If he is just going to take Littles role then Laine will still be behind the attack and staying between forwards and D and that's just going to lead to more frustration. If Copp will be the guy who starts the rush from the Jets end (he is capable of being that guy, more so than Little) , then this line will be very good and cover up for the weakened defense and inept head coach. Let Laine be an offensive forward like he is, and he'll be much more useful than he has been in ELL.

Even if it works great, once Little is back, PoMo will default back to his garbage lines.

Copp is alright off the rush but he excels on the cycle. Connor is kind of a dual threat there but Laine definitely excels off the rush. The thing is you only get one chance off the rush before the puck usually heads back the other way. This is where you need to be good at puck retrievel, board battles and cycling. So no matter how you slice it if we want Laine to be the best player he can be he HAS TO learn to be better along the walls and in actual puck possession. Or else he will remain the one trick pony that can only play with certain players to be successful.

Reactions: Duke749 and Gotaf7

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Yes the D looks ugly but what options do we have that are better?

Borque on the 3rd line is the biggest grinder for me. The guy wasn't considered good enough by the Avs to be a lock on their 4th line on a non-playoff team but suddenly we are THAT team that is one injury away from him playing on the 3rd line? Even with the depth we have lost over the last couple of seasons I have to think our depth is better than that. I hope these lines are shuffled and Appleton or Roslovic get that spot.

Last edited:

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
When ever maurice makes these inexplicable vets of talent decisions, I can't help but think of that dude on TSN quoting maurice as saying he doesn't want a 4th line he has to coach.

I hope Maurice makes me eat words

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Copp is alright off the rush but he excels on the cycle. Connor is kind of a dual threat there but Laine definitely excels off the rush. The thing is you only get one chance off the rush before the puck usually heads back the other way. This is where you need to be good at puck retrievel, board battles and cycling. So no matter how you slice it if we want Laine to be the best player he can be he HAS TO learn to be better along the walls and in actual puck possession. Or else he will remain the one trick pony that can only play with certain players to be successful.

Everyone should always strive to be better. And Laine seems to be that way too.

We are in a bit of a disagreement here. He can't remain a one trick pony because he has never been that. Lots of evidence of that from his short career if you exclude the time spent in the defensive role he had been forced into when playing with one particular center

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

Borque on the 3rd line is the biggest grinder for me. The guy wasn't considered good enough by the Avs to be a lock on their 4th line on a non-playoff team but suddenly we are THAT team that is one injury away from him playing on the 3rd line? Even with the depth we have lost over the last couple of seasons I have to think our depth is better than that. I hope these lines are shuffled and Appleton or Roslovic get that spot.
I'm not gonna sweat Bourque being on the 3rd line. Luoto, Spacek and Vesalainen will be fighting to replace him when he stumbles. It probably will be good for them to earn it the hard way. We do have depth.

My concern is cohesion. Are the players committed to winning or worried about their PP minutes? Is Maurice going to act like a coach or delegate that work to the senior players?

Reactions: Mbraunm

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Everyone should always strive to be better. And Laine seems to be that way too.

We are in a bit of a disagreement here. He can't remain a one trick pony because he has never been that. Lots of evidence of that from his short career if you exclude the time spent in the defensive role he had been forced into when playing with one particular center

The evidence is obvious when you watch. No matter who he plays with he struggles along the boards. Weather he's with Scheifele, Little or even on the PP. He has never been good along the boards. It's his bar-none biggest weakness.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I'm just looking for chemistry, on a team with a lot of new faces. Perreault and Bourque had some nice plays in preseason. I wonder if they communicate in French on the ice. Perreault-Roslovic-Appleton looks like a line that should get a look at some point. I am disappointed that Bourque is ahead of Luoto on the depth chart, but I hope the Jets find chemistry. For Letestu and Bourque to stay in the lineup they have to put in quality PK minutes. Prefer to see Gustafsson in the 2c slot, coming off games against Draisaitl and Staal. Copp with Lowry is a good checking line, the 3rd wheel just has to be as tenacious as them. With Letestu as a 4C you are not expecting more than 6-8 minutes ES. Perreault-Roslovic-Appleton are a line that can play against good lines, and win possession time, extend the minutes. Expecting to see Maurice grinding his stars again.

I'll hold judgment against our defense. It's a different look, puck movement could improve. Gap control as well.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
The evidence is obvious when you watch. No matter who he plays with he struggles along the boards. Weather he's with Scheifele, Little or even on the PP. He has never been good along the boards. It's his bar-none biggest weakness.

Oh I know, his stick seems too long for board battles. If he shortened it he could maybe be better along the boards, but that could change his shot, which is his biggest strength. I would not sacrifice that strength, he is supposed to be the triggerman who looks for open space and snipes when the puck comes to him. Or passes it if the shot isn't there. He isn't asked to dig puck in corners for that reason, he is more valuable doing other things. Burying it after someone else digs it out. His shot isn't going to be effective from corners or behind the net, so why would you put him there? Roles are important in lines, if the players are good in their roles the results are good. Laine is excellent in a certain role but he hasn't gotten to play it much in Maurices system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Oh I know, his stick seems too long for board battles. If he shortened it he could maybe be better along the boards, but that could change his shot, which is his biggest strength. I would not sacrifice that strength, he is supposed to be the triggerman who looks for open space and snipes when the puck comes to him. Or passes it if the shot isn't there. He isn't asked to dig puck in corners for that reason, he is more valuable doing other things. His shot isn't going to be effective from corners or behind the net, so why would you put him there?

Because the best goalscorers can play along the boards and cycle well. You think Draisaitl got 50 goals last year just waiting for McDavid to pass to him?

He was among the league best in shielding the puck and working it around the ice and winning board battles. It might seem like Ovi just gets one-timers from the point but he is a monster on the boards and is a tank to try and get the puck from. You can hit 30-40 goals hitting pot shots from your linemates. You get 50+ by working your ass off along the boards and digging for that extra 10.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Because the best goalscorers can play along the boards and cycle well. You think Draisaitl got 50 goals last year just waiting for McDavid to pass to him?

He was among the league best in shielding the puck and working it around the ice and winning board battles. It might seem like Ovi just gets one-timers from the point but he is a monster on the boards and is a tank to try and get the puck from. You can hit 30-40 goals hitting pot shots from your linemates. You get 50+ by working your ass off along the boards and digging for that extra 10.

I know this but how does this relate to Laine? He does what he is asked. Do you blame him for doing as he is asked? Because he absolutely can play deeper in offensive zone than hashmarks, but if he is asked to stay back for defensive reasons then what should he do? Appease the coach and follow the role, or appease you and break with coach, go play in corners anyway against orders?

And it's a pointless argument anyway. One can pick if they want the best out of Laine or the worst out of him. Maurice has often opted for the worst, and I get the feeling some here prefer that too because there is still defense for his usage. In the end it doesn't matter what you'd want him to be, his strengths are what they are and it's up to them to either maximize it or minimize it. I don't get people who would minimize it or cheer for minimizing his strengths. No sense in that.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I know this but how does this relate to Laine? He does what he is asked. Do you blame him for doing as he is asked? Because he absolutely can play deeper in offensive zone than hashmarks, but if he is asked to stay back for defensive reasons then what should he do? Appease the coach and follow the role, or appease you and break with coach, go play in corners anyway against orders?

And it's a pointless argument anyway. One can pick if they want the best out of Laine or the worst out of him. Maurice has often opted for the worst, and I get the feeling some here prefer that too because there is still defense for his usage. In the end it doesn't matter what you'd want him to be, his strengths are what they are and it's up to them to either maximize it or minimize it. I don't get people who would minimize it or cheer for minimizing his strengths. No sense in that.

You’re just making stuff up at this point. Dax is 100% correct. Laine is not going to reach that next level without improving upon his weaknesses. You can’t just bank on scoring off the rush or you spend more time defending then anything. That’s not how the game works. And improving on his weaknesses does not mean you sacrifice your strengths. Again, doesn’t work that way. It’s called learning.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg

Yea it doesn’t make sense that Bourque is playing on a line that comes off the bench second.

Luoto was the one I thought worked the hardest and would have been a great fit there. Bourque is slow and weak, he’s garbage really.

Then the decision to play Apples and Rosie with an over the hill plug like Letestu, why even sign this guy?

Gustafsson played better, has more upside, faster, younger... what is going on?

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Yea it doesn’t make sense that Bourque is playing on a line that comes off the bench second.

Luoto was the one I thought worked the hardest and would have been a great fit there. Bourque is slow and weak, he’s garbage really.

Then the decision to play Apples and Rosie with an over the hill plug like Letestu, why even sign this guy?

Gustafsson played better, has more upside, faster, younger... what is going on?

It’s called Maurice...

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
didn't know Maurice was on this forum....

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
You’re just making stuff up at this point. Dax is 100% correct. Laine is not going to reach that next level without improving upon his weaknesses. You can’t just bank on scoring off the rush or you spend more time defending then anything. That’s not how the game works. And improving on his weaknesses does not mean you sacrifice your strengths. Again, doesn’t work that way. It’s called learning.

Agreed

PMO has said a million times in the media, he isn’t & cant teach Laine anything about the offensive/creative side of hockey he doesn’t already know (that’s on Laine). The only thing PMO coaches Laine on “individually” is his defensive play/positioning and board battles that both need a lot of improvement. PMO does coach the entire team on offensive & defensive strategies generally speaking and how individuals pick that up and how effective they are is largely up to their effort levels and ability.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Question Jets fans:

Why is Niku in the AHL..? I understand Heinola is gonna get some games but Niku looked NHL ready from the games I watched.

EDIT: read a few pages back, it's a conditioning thing. Interesting.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Agreed

PMO has said a million times in the media, he isn’t & cant teach Laine anything about the offensive/creative side of hockey he doesn’t already know (that’s on Laine). The only thing PMO coaches Laine on “individually” is his defensive play/positioning and board battles that both need a lot of improvement. PMO does coach the entire team on offensive & defensive strategies generally speaking and how individuals pick that up and how effective they are is largely up to their effort levels and ability.

Yeah and instead of trying to teach him to be a defenseman or a defensive forwards first and foremost, a sane coach would use him as a sniper and have his team succeed a lot more by getting more out of him.

You don't buy a race car to plow fields, you buy a tractor for that purpose and race the car on the track. Different purposes for different machines. Laine is not a tractor and trying to make him one is dumb, when they could be winning races with him instead. And then people defend the stroke of genius that he spends most of his time plowing the field, stuck in mud.

That's the problem with Maurice and Laine. One is a square peg, and one is too dumb and tries to fit it in a round hole. And I don't mean Maurice is dumb as a person, just as a coach. Maybe I should blame Chevy instead, he is also trying to use a guy (PoMo) in a role he isn't suited for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Question Jets fans:

Why is Niku in the AHL..? I understand Heinola is gonna get some games but Niku looked NHL ready from the games I watched.

EDIT: read a few pages back, it's a conditioning thing. Interesting.

Was injured missed part of camp, needs conditioning. Plus VH was outstanding in camp.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Why don't we actually wait and see what Laine looks like this year. He has mentioned wanting to improve on all those areas of weakness. If he does then it probably won't really matter as much what type of game his C likes to play.

100% Correct and agree. If he improves in the areas discussed he becomes far less dependent on his centre both defensively & offensively to be successful.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Hope Buff comes back but I like the roster since there were so many that were worried about the salary cap and props to Chevy for getting the job done.
Speaking of salary cap ... how are the Leafs $13 million over ... the season are started.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Hope Buff comes back but I like the roster since there were so many that were worried about the salary cap and props to Chevy for getting the job done.
Speaking of salary cap ... how are the Leafs $13 million over ... the season are started.

Guessing the two guys they have on LTIR

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Does "good on the pk" really mean "can't do anything, but if they get hit by a clapper at least we didn't lose a good player"?

Reactions: SM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad