Line Combos: 2019/2020 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think the defense is only bad right now. As soon as Niku comes back Kuli can slide back to LD and Bitetto can "slide" to the PB. Hopefully Buff also comes back, and Dahlström should be an upgrade on Bitetto, so we don't have to play him again after the first four games on the road trip.

We could actually have an adequate D in a week or so.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I liked Copp's responses to the interview.
"Get chemistry as quick as possible!"

Very true, this is your shot. Having him and Laine both wanting to prove themselves playing together... Who knows...

I am not sure if Copp is the answer for 2nd line center but I am willing to have a good look at it. Laine and Connor are due to take steps forward and that combined with Copp's talent level might lead to a positive surprise here. If its between CCL or CLL in the short term I think I would like to give CCL a try anyways. Either way I believe Paul will not want to be the coach who has a failed 2nd line on his hands two years in a row. He has been around the block enough to know that would carry a high level of risk even with a patient organization like TNSE.

Last edited:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I am not sure if Copp is the answer for 2nd line center but I am willing to have a good look at it. Laine and Connor are due to take steps forward and that combined with Copp's talent level might lead to a positive surprise here. If its between CCL or CLL in the short term I think I would like to give CCL a try anyways. Either way Maurice will be aware he can't have a failed 2nd line on his hands two years in a row or he might actually find himself looking for work.

Absolutely nothing to lose by trying. I'm very hopeful!

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Absolutely nothing to lose by trying. I'm very hopeful!

Me too. Last time I saw Copp play with Laine they looked like they were on the same page and there was chemistry. Much more so than there ever has been with Little-Laine.

It doesn't have to be the most skilled linemate if the styles match, if they can read each other.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I am not sure if Copp is the answer for 2nd line center but I am willing to have a good look at it. Laine and Connor are due to take steps forward and that combined with Copp's talent level might lead to a positive surprise here. If its between CCL or CLL in the short term I think I would like to give CCL a try anyways. Either way I believe Paul will not want to be the coach who has a failed 2nd line on his hands two years in a row. He has been around the block enough to know that would carry a high level of risk even with a patient organization like TNSE.

Copp would be the unknown quantity on this line - but there is no reason this line shouldn't work -
I can see them utilizing both a cycle and / or "off the rush" type of game - this bunch have that.
I can also see Copp working hard to either dish off or dig out pucks - maybe better than Little.
They have a bit of grit, a touch around the net, and a shooter - hope they get some time to figure it out.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
He isn't going to get fired because he has Letestu in the lineup. I can tell you that much
No he wont, and commenting on Letestu being in the lineup over others doesn't indicate that will be the reason. That's just making things into extremes.

The performance of the team will dictate it, which will largely fall on the teams best players, no doubt.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If the line combinations from practice carry over to tomorrow, then Mo's. Unless you believe Chevy dictates to Mo who plays or not.

Chevy does dictate who stays up and who gets sent down. Right now Dahlstrom is flying in and Chevy sent Niku down for conditioning stint until hes fully healthy. With Beaulieu on the IR that pretty much only leaves Bitetto.

Reactions: lanky

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Me too. Last time I saw Copp play with Laine they looked like they were on the same page and there was chemistry. Much more so than there ever has been with Little-Laine.

It doesn't have to be the most skilled linemate if the styles match, if they can read each other.

Laine will really need to have an improved cycle game for them to be the most effective. Which is one of Laines weakest traits since he entered the league. If he can use his big body well and shield the puck while keeping it moving I think they will all gel nicely. Copps game will really built on the cycle. It's why Hyman and Matthew's work. Hyman gets to the corners and retrieves and works the cycle with Matthew's until he can get a good look at the net. Connor also has a decent but not amazing cycle game.

Reactions: hn777

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Laine will really need to have an improved cycle game for them to be the most effective. Which is one of Laines weakest traits since he entered the league. If he can use his big body well and shield the puck while keeping it moving I think they will all gel nicely. Copps game will really built on the cycle. It's why Hyman and Matthew's work. Hyman gets to the corners and retrieves and works the cycle with Matthew's until he can get a good look at the net. Connor also has a decent but not amazing cycle game.

That line should mainly rush and create chances off that, it's the strength of both wingers. Cycle game is all good and well, unless you are so good off the rush that you score more that way than cycling. Then you should probably do what works best.

What matters the most in this is what role Copp will have in the line. If he is just going to take Littles role then Laine will still be behind the attack and staying between forwards and D and that's just going to lead to more frustration. If Copp will be the guy who starts the rush from the Jets end (he is capable of being that guy, more so than Little) , then this line will be very good and cover up for the weakened defense and inept head coach. Let Laine be an offensive forward like he is, and he'll be much more useful than he has been in ELL.

Even if it works great, once Little is back, PoMo will default back to his garbage lines.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Went to an interview some time ago and the interviewer asked me "if you were informed of a problem and your boss would tell you how to solve it, but you thought he was wrong and you had a better solution, what would you do?". Now I'm not sure if there's a correct answer to this and I can't even remember what my answer was exactly,

Been there, done that. And while you would think the obvious correct answer is, "I would have to kill my boss", my experience is that is not the answer they're looking for. :oops:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Chevy does dictate who stays up and who gets sent down. Right now Dahlstrom is flying in and Chevy sent Niku down for conditioning stint until hes fully healthy. With Beaulieu on the IR that pretty much only leaves Bitetto.
I know Chevy dictates that. I also know why Niku was sent down and Bitetto is playing, I mentioned it yesterday.
My post was about Letestu playing, that is a Mo decision. Not the end of the world, but still his call.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If the line combinations from practice carry over to tomorrow, then Mo's. Unless you believe Chevy dictates to Mo who plays or not.
not at all but I am thinking he is playing what is available to him and it is available via Chevy.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I like how they are using Heinola's nine-game stint as a call-up both at the same time. Gives him necessary experience for a necessary need. But I'm excited to see what he's got.

Reactions: Puckatron 3000
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad