2019-2020 NHL Trade Deadline thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Let's look at the bright side. Discussion wise we will be busy here on draft day and maybe UFA day.

Funny how easy it was to give up a 3rd for Methot a few years ago. Doesn't really seem like you are spending draft picks when they are a few years out, but the piper always gets paid, eventually. And Nill gave up the 2nd and 3rd last year, but was unwilling to give up a first for Zuch resigning or another player this year.

I guess its for the best. And mostly Nill being Nill. The Stars aren't so dominant that we should expect them to win the Cup. And, if they don't, "No trade Nill" will be judged harshly, but if he had made a trade and they still don't go further at least as last year, he gets mauled on the internets anyway. Easier to be a fan, LOL.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
You missed the part where he said they didn't know if Emil was coming back. Obviously he was disgruntled a bit given they thought both he and Kivi were NHL level players, but he never got the chance. So, Nill got something out of it, and FLA has a chance to develop what still seems to be a good player. We'll feel bad if someday FLA look back at this as one of the keys to building their roster, but it sometimes happens.

BTW, Nill used every cliché this thread predicted he would.

I didn't miss that. It's pretty irrelevant. A 6th round pick has close to no value. I think Texas pushing for the playoffs either with Djuse this year or trading him for an AHL scoring forward is a better return than a 6th round pick.

Just for a point of reference, if it was only asset management, just like Honka who is no longer in their plans, they would have retained his rights at the conclusion of this season and could have traded him at the draft for a 6th. He's not an UFA.

Other top NHL teams, Pittsburgh specifically comes to mind, bolstered both the NHL and AHL teams. It's an odd decision when you have a guy whose limited rotation of hockey cliches constantly includes the importance of the AHL playoffs. It's just a little strange. There are likely going to be at least 2 and possibly 3 forward spots open in Dallas next season. They'll likely be a D spot open as well. All of the spots have a reasonable chance of being filled by guys who are in Texas or will be in Texas by the end of the year.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Let's look at the bright side. Discussion wise we will be busy here on draft day and maybe UFA day.

Funny how easy it was to give up a 3rd for Methot a few years ago. Doesn't really seem like you are spending draft picks when they are a few years out, but the piper always gets paid, eventually. And Nill gave up the 2nd and 3rd last year, but was unwilling to give up a first for Zuch resigning or another player this year.

I guess its for the best. And mostly Nill being Nill. The Stars aren't so dominant that we should expect them to win the Cup. And, if they don't, "No trade Nill" will be judged harshly, but if he had made a trade and they still don't go further at least as last year, he gets mauled on the internets anyway. Easier to be a fan, LOL.

Gave up a 2nd in 2020 for Methot. Our 3rd in 2020 was for Zuccarello I believe

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Gave up a 2nd in 2020 for Methot. Our 3rd in 2020 was for Zuccarello I believe
this is correct

Lets just all rejoice in the fact that this is Nills last deadline as GM of the Stars, barring a miracle cup win of course.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

If Jim Nill loses his job, it won't be because he didn't make a trade today. He's been here 7 years without a great deal of success, and you have an owner that is convinced they were a player or 2 away from beating the eventual Stanley Cup Champs. At some point, probably soon, Gaglardi is going to get impatient. It's reasonable to think Nill's future is tied to playoff success, and it's anyone's guess how much success he needs the team to have. That said, I don't think you can look at this trade deadline with who was available (regardless of Dallas' assets) and say that Nill whiffed on a key addition.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
What did we give up for Lovejoy?

3rd round pick in 2019.

The 2020 2nd round pick was for Methot like mentioned above, and the 2020 3rd was the conditional pick for Zuccarello that became a 1st if he re-signed or Dallas made the Conference Finals.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
If Jim Nill loses his job, it won't be because he didn't make a trade today. He's been here 7 years without a great deal of success, and you have an owner that is convinced they were a player or 2 away from beating the eventual Stanley Cup Champs. At some point, probably soon, Gaglardi is going to get impatient. It's reasonable to think Nill's future is tied to playoff success, and it's anyone's guess how much success he needs the team to have. That said, I don't think you can look at this trade deadline with who was available (regardless of Dallas' assets) and say that Nill whiffed on a key addition.
I agree with the owner. They are a player or two away from being a real cup contender. They even went out in the offseason and got older by picking up Pavs. So why not go get that player? Yes, it will cost a ton. Couple top prospects and and couple firsts but at least you have the shot. Nill does need to go. He is great at managing the cap but that’s it. You may of had to over pay to pry someone out but it’s worth it for a cup chance.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I agree with the owner. They are a player or two away from being a real cup contender. They even went out in the offseason and got older by picking up Pavs. So why not go get that player? Yes, it will cost a ton. Couple top prospects and and couple firsts but at least you have the shot. Nill does need to go. He is great at managing the cap but that’s it. You may of had to over pay to pry someone out but it’s worth it for a cup chance.
:huh:

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Who was even available to be that player ? Nobody traded today would've significantly improved the team enough. Kreider was by far the best option ( and i don't even like him that much ) and turn out he wasn't available. Pretty much only depth pieces got traded today and quite a few of those for insane prices.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Who was even available to be that player ? Nobody traded today would've significantly improved the team enough. Kreider was by far the best option ( and i don't even like him that much ) and turn out he wasn't available. Pretty much only depth pieces got traded today and quite a few of those for insane prices.

Rory has ignored the question every time it's been brought up. It's always you have to give up someone for someone.

You can't just magically say he failed because he didn't land an impact player because you assume one was available that no other person knows about. If that mythical impact player was available, all of the contenders would have been involved heavily. You have to evaluate his performance on players that were actually moved, and there wasn't an impact, high end scoring forward traded.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I knew that a player could be traded and retained twice. For example, Colorado retained on Barrie. Had Toronto traded Barrie today, I knew they could also retain.

I've never seen it happen like that though. That's pretty creative.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I've been pretty clear that they plan should be to trade Faksa and move Dickinson into that spot. If they don't trade Faksa, he's going to be making probably a little under $3 million on a 1 year deal ($2.4 QO with arbitration rights) or he's going to get something longer closer to $4. That's the reality of the situation.

It's hard to say what his market value will be in a trade, but It will be pretty difficult to retain him, pay the bonus overage, and re-sign both Hintz and Gurianov.

If no money goes out, they'll come back with virtually the same team with guys on ELC replacing Perry and Sekera/Polak.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I've been pretty clear that they plan should be to trade Faksa and move Dickinson into that spot. If they don't trade Faksa, he's going to be making probably a little under $3 million on a 1 year deal ($2.4 QO with arbitration rights) or he's going to get something longer closer to $4. That's the reality of the situation.

It's hard to say what his market value will be in a trade, but It will be pretty difficult to retain him, pay the bonus overage, and re-sign both Hintz and Gurianov.

If no money goes out, they'll come back with virtually the same team with guys on ELC replacing Perry and Sekera/Polak.
Agreed. He is clearly the odd man out there.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Oh yeah ... and Janmark would also be replaced by an ELC. So 3 prospects would be your only movement in the summer probably if you don't move out a current player.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

They are a player or two away (maybe just one away, with Johns return). They are also an injury free period from now to June, and most of their talent performing to their max ability during the playoffs, along with maybe one breakout player (Guri?). And with all that, they could still be derailed by a bad bounce, like Jamie missing the wraparound in OT last year, or even just running into a hot goalie like Binnington last year.

Just as any team is. The problem is, you have to be good and lucky to win the Cup. And, determined. Hopefully the loss to the champs last year put the fire in their bellies enough to get over the hump. Even if they get out of the West, they say it is a learning process, and maybe they would lose the finals anyway. Then, next year would be the one where they are really ready to put it all together, based on how many teams take 2-3 years to get to championship caliber.

I guess that short version, I agree Nill might be on the hot seat if this year's playoff performance doesn't approve, but in reality, with his draft picks generally thought to be coming around, I don't think he is on as short a leash as some here say. TG has to weigh just how they lose in the PO. If not outclassed but just coming out on the wrong end of the WC Finals, he has to weight whether starting all over again with a new system, GM, probably coach, etc. etc. etc. is more or less likely to get him a champion than tweaking the system.

I think they have made some nice tweaks, for one, getting Laxdall in charge of the PP has fixed a long standing problem. Nill certainly solved a long standing goalie problem by getting Bish and Dobby. And he has drafted/traded for a nice young D corps, also a long standing problem. Now, he needs to add to scoring, and Pavs and a few other moves just haven't done it.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
I still think the TDL was a win for the Stars because they got Johns (in proximity to the TDL), and we cant underestimate how huge that is. Secondly, they got a 6th for someone who was likely never going to make the NHL roster. The glass is half-full here IMO.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I still think the TDL was a win for the Stars because they got Johns (in proximity to the TDL), and we cant underestimate how huge that is. Secondly, they got a 6th for someone who was likely never going to make the NHL roster. The glass is half-full here IMO.

Got Johns back and Pavelski, Perry, and Sekera are starting to become what they were signed to be

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Got Johns back and Pavelski, Perry, and Sekera are starting to become what they were signed to be
Yeah, good call. Didn't think about that.

On a somewhat related note. . . I’m really, really glad the Stars didn’t pay up to trade for a scorer because offense dies in this team’s system. This team has multiple 30-40 goal scorers and point-per-game players; and in the current system, it’s being wasted. Why should they pay a 1st for a scorer, just to have them go to Dallas and their offense dry up? It doesn’t make sense. Standing pat in general was the right idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: gentleman scholar

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Rory has ignored the question every time it's been brought up. It's always you have to give up someone for someone.

You can't just magically say he failed because he didn't land an impact player because you assume one was available that no other person knows about. If that mythical impact player was available, all of the contenders would have been involved heavily. You have to evaluate his performance on players that were actually moved, and there wasn't an impact, high end scoring forward traded.
Hall was available earlier this year

I think the point he's trying to make
is the core of this team is old as shit.
Benn, Pavelski, Radulov, Perry, Comeau, are all on the wrong side of 30.
Seguin is knocking on the door.

That is 4 of the teams "top 6" players, a vital 3rd liner and a solid utility guy.
You could even add in super scrub (Cogliano) being over 30, but he shouldn't be on a roster now but we're stuck with him.
3 of whom have already started to slow down (Benn, Pavelski, Radulov)

There's no prospects in the system coming in to replace any of them in the near future. Robertson maybe replaces one Next year, but we're anchored to them for another couple years at least.

So maybe you can't go out and get a Hall when he's available because of Poor cap management, before even beginning to talk asset cost.
But You have a team that is largely the same as last year, that continues to have trouble scoring goals, (including being unable to control play enough to even draw a Powerplay in game 7 last year)
You have very few games all year(this and last for that matter), where you can say they outplayed their opponents the majority of the game, and this isn't even taking into account the ramped up play of the POs.

So trouble scoring goals, don't control the majority of play in most games, generate the 9th least amount of shots a game, and allow the 13th most, draws the 9th fewest PP chances in the NHL (with the stricter rules of the regular season) , has played in 18 1 goal games already. And this is a team you can't think of any player traded today that would be an upgrade over anyone on the roster?

Hell bringing in Thornton and Scratching Cogliano, is massive improvement.
Pageau would be a massive upgrade as a 3rd line A or 3rd line B center (assuming again Cogliano is the odd man out)
Namestikov would be a massive upgrade over Cogliano. for the low price of a 4th.
Toffoli would have been a nice addition as well

There's a lot of players out there who would have been upgrades for this team.
Now the price of Pageau was astronomically stupid but I'd guess what He's(Roy) trying to say is that with how little window we have open before we're stuck in another rebuild thanks to poor drafting and bad cap management.
You pay the price to maybe get "over the hump" instead of sitting still (while everyone else improved) and thinking your good because Johns stopped having headaches for a little while.

Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
That Hall trade sure looks good for the Yotes.....

Idk i never really liked Hall. He had that one great season but was mostly mediocre

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I knew that a player could be traded and retained twice. For example, Colorado retained on Barrie. Had Toronto traded Barrie today, I knew they could also retain.

I've never seen it happen like that though. That's pretty creative.
It happened with Dubnyk when he went to Minnesota

That Hall trade sure looks good for the Yotes.....

Idk i never really liked Hall. He had that one great season but was mostly mediocre

he's got 50p in 60games, and 25 in 30gp since joining the Coyotes.
I don't know what you want from him. but he would be our leading scorer currently with those numbers

His Goal Scoring is down, but I don't know how you couldn't think of him as an impact player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad