2019-2020 NHL Trade Deadline thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
For me, I was 100% sure there was no real way I was going to be disappointed by today, and it is minor, but Dallas found a way. For a guy that preaches development and AHL playoffs, I'd love to hear his logic about the Djuse trade, and apparently it wasn't addressed or it hasn't been reported on by the Dallas media guys yet.

Reactions: Magic Mittens

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Devin Shore moved to CBK for Milano. Most think ANA won that trade. On a base level, Cogs still with us and performing well, so I guess we chalk that up as another trade win for Nill.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
For me, I was 100% sure there was no real way I was going to be disappointed by today, and it is minor, but Dallas found a way. For a guy that preaches development and AHL playoffs, I'd love to hear his logic about the Djuse trade, and apparently it wasn't addressed or it hasn't been reported on by the Dallas media guys yet.

IDK with so many guys on Texas injured and pretty much all good CHL prospects likely making the playoffs he might've just used the chance to get a pick for a guy who probably wasn't happy and was also injured alot recently. Don't think Texas can make it this year with all the injuries despite the run they had.

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
IDK with so many guys on Texas injured and pretty much all good prospects likely making the playoffs he might've just used the chance to get a pick for a guy who probably wasn't happy and was also injured alot recently. Don't think Texas can make it this year with all the injuries despite the run they had.

6 points back in the AHL isn't 6 points back in the NHL, and Texas has 2 games in hand on the 4th place team.

They play 17 more games against the teams in 3rd to 6th place this season.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I know he's not perfect, but I was surprised a guy who scored 60 points last season only got a 3rd round pick.

He has major defensive warts and now with his offense dried up thats just not worth much.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Barclay Goodrow for a 1st lmao that's insane if that's straight up

We should've given them Dickinson if that's the case.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Well, that was a wasted afternoon, LOL.

Seems like Avs got better by a bit, and despite our 4-0 record against them, are probably a bit more better than us than they were. Blues replaced their fallen D but probably feel they are the class of the league. Stars will probably finish third in the Central, and face probably (IMHO) the Blues in round 1.

No more than a 50% chance to win that round, but then again, I doubt Thornton would have upped that percentage by much. And he sure won't help if we get to round 2 against, presumably, the Avs.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Like I said it's minor, so I don't want it to seem like I'm furious or anything ...

Shapiro just posted Nill's comments about Djuse .... and they don't make a ton of sense. The first part is logical ... we have young guys coming in that can fill the gap ... referring to Barteaux and Harley. That's true and you want them to play.

The illogical thing though is you know both of those guys are locks for the playoffs. At best, they're out in the first round which means 1 to 2 weeks making them available sometime around March 30th to April 6th. Texas' regular season is over April 11, and they only play 3 games after the 6th.

The best case scenario is they get 6 games, and the likely scenario is they get 3 games. If you wanted to give them an opportunity to play ... using the surplus of D in Texas to get a scorer makes a whole lot more sense than a 6th round pick. Those type of scoring AHL forwards were moved today.

It just seems really silly to justify trading a piece out of Texas because you want the young guys to play, but you made it much more difficult to actually extend the season to give them a chance to play meaningful minutes.

Reactions: Kipper 17

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Barclay Goodrow for a 1st lmao that's insane if that's straight up

We should've given them Dickinson if that's the case.

Turn a young former super later 1st rounder into another late first rounder . Seems pointless Don't even have another guy to replace Dickinson.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Plus .... you have just as big a need for cheap, PKer as TB does next year with Dallas' cap situation. TB is having to trade 1st round picks for those guys because they frequently trade away picks and young assets. Dallas already has one. Doesn't seem like a good reason to create a hole.

Plus, again looking at the cap situation, you may find yourself choosing between paying Faksa or moving Dickinson up to the checking center role, and that first round pick isn't enticing in that situation.

Like I said earlier though, Pageau's contract gave me a little hope that they could get Faksa signed to a reasonable deal. It's always hard to judge those checking line centers contracts. The fact that Faksa doesn't score and he has a RFA year really could drag a long term deal down closer to $4 million which might be something you can still fit in to the mix.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I see HF's dial-up server is connecting again. Every year the same result.

Teams around us got better and we stay status quo which seems to be the norm the last few TDL's.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I just don't see anything that substantially would've made us better. A depth piece like Thornton or Ennis would've been nice but anything that would've made a dent was just not possible this year.

Reactions: BigG44 and Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
It's always disappointing when a deal isn't made cause it's fun to see new guys on the team, however like some of us were saying before the deadline and now, there's no one out there that we could afford that would clearly make us a better team.

Thornton would've been an interesting add but at the same time he's old, slow, purely a rental, probably would've cost at least our 3rd rounder in 2021 with conditions on it becoming a 2nd, and how do we know he wouldn't take at least half a season to even settle into our lineup the way Pavelski and Perry did? Neither of those guys were true difference makers for us until this month, and if you think about it those guys waking up this month and producing is a bit of a deadline acquisition of it's own

Also, unlike last season, I'm confident this group of forwards we have can put up 3 or more goals consistently enough to win while still playing good defense

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
To all the people who wanted a cheap piece, who is coming out of the lineup so Thornton or Ennis plays?

Based on usage, Bowness is taking Gurianov out of the lineup.. would you be happy with that?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
To all the people who wanted a cheap piece, who is coming out of the lineup so Thornton or Ennis plays?

Based on usage, Bowness is taking Gurianov out of the lineup.. would you be happy with that?

I wouldn't neccessary remove someone. I'd have been ok to add a cheap piece as injury insurance but regularly a scratch. That may be why i was a bit more skeptical about Thornton . Not sure how he would react to the prospect of getting scrached. Maybe thats why he at the end stayed put ?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Like I said it's minor, so I don't want it to seem like I'm furious or anything ...

Shapiro just posted Nill's comments about Djuse .... and they don't make a ton of sense. The first part is logical ... we have young guys coming in that can fill the gap ... referring to Barteaux and Harley. That's true and you want them to play.

You missed the part where he said they didn't know if Emil was coming back. Obviously he was disgruntled a bit given they thought both he and Kivi were NHL level players, but he never got the chance. So, Nill got something out of it, and FLA has a chance to develop what still seems to be a good player. We'll feel bad if someday FLA look back at this as one of the keys to building their roster, but it sometimes happens.

BTW, Nill used every cliché this thread predicted he would.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

That makes it seem like SJ expected something similar in return to what they got for Marleau, and if that is the case, I'm really happy Dallas wouldn't meet the asking price.

The guys in on the decline and he should have been in that lower pick range that the other depth players were traded for today (for the most part).

Reactions: JeffP and serp

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Indeed . A 5th-6th rounder this or next season should've been enough for Thornton imho

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
We should've just given them a 4th, dallas doesn't just part with 5th round picks all willy-Nilly
4G 23A, it was an upgrade :\ we needed to jedi a little more scoring into the lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad