2019-2020 NHL Trade Deadline thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
You can never allow potential shortterm success to completely destroy a teams long term future. Only bad GM's do that who will be fired and then don't have to clean up the mess they made . Stars don't have an excess of assets right now. You go full throttlw no i think you are going to regret it . At this point i am not sure for example the old core of Benn and Seguin can carry the team anywhere so i wouldn't go all in there. Heiskanen is the best chance to do that and he may still need a year or two before he's ready for that.

Also yeah you don't randomly get other teams star players they still like for picks prospects and salary dumbs. Something has to happen that creates a rift and usually that stuff leaks.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
I get you're trying to be cute, but you keep slipping and sliding around these terms like impact player. If you're talking about Dylan Larkin, you're talking about Miro Heiskanen. If you're talking about a trade deadline acquisition, it's different assets. It's not a video game. you can actually look at NHL trades in recent history and figure out what type of players require what type of assets.

You can ignore the reality that Larkin type assets require the return of a franchise type asset of which Heiskanen is the only one Dallas has,that is a choice you can make. If you want to talk about 1st round picks, Robertson, Dellandrea, and Harley ... it's not that hard to figure out what players would be available for those assets ... and it's not Larkin. It's not Zibanejad. Not from Detroit or New York. The other team is going to have to actually agree with you on the value. It's not arbitrary.
Once again agree to disagree. Not trying to be cute or dumb or naive. I also have mentioned more players and yet you focus on 2 to drive your point about me. Miro is not all Dallas has to trade to get a really good player. That’s you being naive. Sure they may not go for it. but need to try.

There are tons of reasons Nill deserves to be fired, him not trading for another teams young stud they are building around is probably not on that list lol. You don't just go to another GM and tell him you want their star, and proceed to offer some picks/prospects and expect to get said star.

This isn't EA Sports.
Never once said Nill will be fired for not trading for an impact player. Don’t put words in my mouth. Nill has failed a ton of things and really has nothing to show for it. This owner wants to win and win now. So do I. Nill drafting has been bad. His trades of late have been bad. His salary cap work has been amazing. That’s all he has right now.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
We can agree to disagree, but you can also provide evidence of these type of trades you're referring to. Again, you're talking in hypotheticals. What was a recent return for a franchise building block? A young asset in his early 20s under team control. That's a great thing about the NHL. Recent trades and recent contracts tend to impact moves.

Regarding Hall ... that's an entirely reasonable conversation. It's not a hypothetical about players who are or aren't secretly available. There are a multitude of good reasons Dallas could have or should have done that trade. For me, the reasons not to do it made more sense, and I don't have a problem they weren't involved. If someone does think it was a mistake not to do that, time will tell.

For me personally ... Montgomery was fired on 12/10, and Hall was traded on 12/16. Dallas was in a playoff position on 12/16 (4th in the Central/1st Wildcard). At that point time, for me, it wasn't a slam dunk that Dallas would hold onto that spot. It was pretty incredible they had already turned the season around that quickly, but they'd also just shockingly fired a coach. That didn't seem like the time to bet huge on an UFA.

FWIW .... Arizona was 1st in the Pacific, but tied in points with Dallas the day that trade happened.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
Never once said Nill will be fired for not trading for an impact player. Don’t put words in my mouth. Nill has failed a ton of things and really has nothing to show for it. This owner wants to win and win now. So do I. Nill drafting has been bad. His trades of late have been bad. His salary cap work has been amazing. That’s all he has right now.

You say he should have got the player even though it would cost a ton and in the next sentence say he needs to go. If that's not what you meant you sure did a good job making it sound like it was a reason he should be fired.

I agree with the owner. They are a player or two away from being a real cup contender. They even went out in the offseason and got older by picking up Pavs. So why not go get that player? Yes, it will cost a ton. Couple top prospects and and couple firsts but at least you have the shot. Nill does need to go. He is great at managing the cap but that’s it. You may of had to over pay to pry someone out but it’s worth it for a cup chance.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Alright, yahoo, the hockey news, usatoday, and Pro Hockey talk, all put Dallas in the loser column.

“They have the defense and the goaltending. They’ve seen strides this season from young forwards such as Denis Gurianov. But Dallas still doesn’t have enough punch from its forwards. The Stars 25th in the NHL in goals per game and 23rd in shots on goal per game. This is a win-now team that pushed the eventual Cup champion to double overtime of Game 7 in Round 2 last year, so it would’ve been nice to see GM Jim Nill find an upgrade. Instead, the Stars were as quiet as any team in the league on deadline day. Nill’s assertion Monday that they can’t keep giving away picks is understandable, but any team that signs Joe Pavelski and Corey Perry in the summer is trying to go all the way, no? Doing nothing Monday felt like walking back that philosophy.”

Seems like columnists feel Dallas should have done something. Side note everyone is calling Florida a loser for their trades. So maybe there could have been something there for Nill. I would have taken Hoffman or Dabonov if they wanted picks cause clearly they have no interest in the playoffs. I will say Nill is better than Tallon. I would be pissed if I was a panthers fan.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I think a lot of angst is from the loss Friday night. This is a good team if they stay focused. I am more worried about coaching than the players at this point.

Reactions: Triple Ex El

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The Stars problem is not they need more scoring depth. The scoring depth this year has been more than there . The problem is the big guns haven't scored enough . A trade for another depth piece would not have improved that. Maybe Thorton could've helped but he didn't get moved.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
So Nill wasn't kidding, we really were never close to any deals getting done. Thornton wasn't willing to go to the other 3 or 4 teams interested but we never made an offer so it sounds like he was counting on us or maybe Boston or another legit contender to make an offer and it never happened.

'I wanted a shot': Joe Thornton is disappointed he wasn't...

"The Dallas Stars also were interested at one point, but according to LeBrun, 'while the Stars did give it some serious thought internally, a trade offer was never made to the Sharks on Thornton.'"

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Unfortunate for Thornton, but as we’ve all said, it was hard to see a spot on a regular 12 man roster for him.

Reactions: Bfantz and serp

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Unfortunate for Thornton, but as we’ve all said, it was hard to see a spot on a regular 12 man roster for him.

Exactly . For me Thornton would've been a good option if he was ok with beeing a scratch somewhat regularly. Which i just don't know if he would've been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad