Line Combos: 2019/2020 Lineup

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We don't care if we lose games for the duration of his contract, in fact you could argue that the morehe "helps" us lose, the more valuable he is to us because a top pick is what this season is about.
Even without Spezza that much is a certainty...Lol ...Spezza as a coach for the PP Iam on board..As a player that can do one thing,and sucks everywhere else no thanks...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Even without Spezza that much is a certainty...Lol ...Spezza as a coach for the PP Iam on board..As a player that can do one thing,and sucks everywhere else no thanks...
Call him a player coach if it makes you feel better, he would be here for the long term impact he has on our youth not the short term impact he would have on the ice.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure it does Spezza wanted a trade,and this was one of the reasons ...But he really wasnt good his last season here...
No, the post was about not taking things the team says after trading somebody at face value. Whether or not he was good or not when we traded him has nothing to do with believing why the team claims he was traded inspite of the player refuting it shortly after.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Call him a player coach if it makes you feel better, he would be here for the long term impact he has on our youth not the short term impact he would have on the ice.
Do you exactly remember a young Spezza???He sulked when Martin sent him to the AHL,he is rumored to have asked for a trade on more than one occasion ...He has never tried to work on his defensive game ,which has always held him back from being one of the league true great centers....But our kids should learn from him??Why??because he could score some points on the PP ???The league is faster and doesnt tolerate one dimensional players slower players,he really doesnt have as much to offer as you are suggesting

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Buying time for kids,is fine but we have some kids that need to take a step...Brown and Batherson should be on the team next season,and will need lots of ice time...Add in healthy JGP ,and spare parts like Tierny,Boedker that we will likely trying to inflate value on for a potential deal,s at the TDL...Along with cap black holes like Ryan and Smith who will be playing no matter what...

We really dont need to add a player like Spezza,that wont just take away icetime from the kids...He will take away the best icetime,as he cant play 5 on 5 or in any sort of defensive sitation

Reactions: Cosmix

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
No, the post was about not taking things the team says after trading somebody at face value. Whether or not he was good or not when we traded him has nothing to do with believing why the team claims he was traded inspite of the player refuting it shortly after.
The parting of ways TBH was best for everyone involved is more of what I meant

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Buying time for kids,is fine but we have some kids that need to take a step...Brown and Batherson should be on the team next season,and will need lots of ice time...Add in healthy JGP ,and spare parts like Tierny,Boedker that we will likely trying to inflate value on for a potential deal,s at the TDL...Along with cap black holes like Ryan and Smith who will be playing no matter what...

We really dont need to add a player like Spezza,that wont just take away icetime from the kids...He will take away the best icetime,as he cant play 5 on 5 or in any sort of defensive sitation
Brown has not shown anything to merit an NHL spot. Batherson has shown glimpses, but certainly not enough either. This is what the organization has to protect , moving forward if this rebuild will have any chance of succeeding.

I still do not see a downside of

Batherson_Brown-Abramov
Formenton-Norris-Davidsson

Spend the season in Belleville, make the playoffs, have a run at the Calder. Chlapik and Paul? Come on up if they are good enough

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Brown has not shown anything to merit an NHL spot. Batherson has shown glimpses, but certainly not enough either. This is what the organization has to protect , moving forward if this rebuild will have any chance of succeeding.

Batherson_Brown-Abramov

Spend the season in Belleville, make the playoffs, have a run at the Calder. Chlapik and Paul? Come on up if they are good enough
Agreed its high time he puts it together ,if he is supposed to be a top end center he needs to show far far more than he has to date...One more bad season from him and its not going to be good for him

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Agreed its high time he puts it together ,if he is supposed to be a top end center he needs to show far far more than he has to date...One more bad season from him and its not going to be good for him
But I thought he had a good season, especially the finish once healthy? All these guys need a lot more time, and it sets up as good as one can hope for for the future, if they continue to make strides

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
But I thought he had a good season, especially the finish once healthy? All these guys need a lot more time, and it sets up as good as one can hope for for the future, if they continue to make strides

Agreed. I thought he made some big strides and should continue to improve. Can't expect everyone to have a first year pro like Batherson did

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I think he had a good development year. After a slow start he ended the season with similar points as other rookies including Raddysh, Steel, Kyrou etc. Mann reported he was a reliable two way player ( I forget the defensive metric he quoted). His late season play was as good or better than Batherson. Brown was D+3 while Norris is entering D+3. I think most would consider .75 PPG out of Norris D+3 in the AHL as a strong development year.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't care what he can't do, I'm talking about what he can teach them. I don't care what the on ice product of Spezza is, we are not going anywhere next year (and in no way is having Spezza on the ice worse than having Tierny on the ice). We can make him a healthy scratch if his play is that bad, he will still be a vet in the room and on the ice for practice.

Why don't you list the downfalls of signing Spezza? I don't see any. He's not going to cost us games, we know we are going to be awful.

He can also teach them to play without the puck because he is such an great play maker even now.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Batherson_Brown-Abramov

I see an upside if they play in Ottawa; a last place finish with a 20% chance of getting the number 1 draft pick and at worst the 4th draft pick. :)

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
As much as some people hate the idea of Spezza, Ryan, and Smith, they buy time for Brown, Abramov, and Formenton.
It makes too much sense, and they're here to hit the floor, but count me in as someone who's just tired of watching them drag their carcasses around the ice other than the odd slick pass from Ryan.

Would be nice if we had a vet group able to lead instead of being the ones drug around by the kids.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It makes too much sense, and they're here to hit the floor, but count me in as someone who's just tired of watching them drag their carcasses around the ice other than the odd slick pass from Ryan.

Would be nice if we had a vet group able to lead instead of being the ones drug around by the kids.

We should run a Fourth line of:
Smith-Spezza-Ryan (this could be called the 2014 line, it would be the most expensive 4th in the league)

Then have a top 9 something like this:

Tkachuk-White-Batherson
Duclair-Pageau-Veronneau
Balcers-Tierney-Boedker (If Formenton, Abramov, Brown, Paul or Chlapik make the team, Boedker is gone)

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Tkachuk - Tierney - Bathson
Balcers - Brown - Ryan
Formenton - Pageau - White
Smith - Norris - Boedker

Chabot - Jaros
Wolanin - Ceci
Brannstrom - DeMelo

Reactions: Carl33

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Send it:

Tkachuk-Brown-Batherson
Duclair-Spezza-White
Balcers-Tierney-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Paul

Chabot-Jaros
Brannstrom-Demelo
Wolanin-Ceci

Andy
Hogberg

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I have not seen anything from Brown that shows to me that he is ready for #1 centre.

There are a lot of holes to fill. I guess we will have to wait till July 1st to really know.

Is MPS coming back? I wouldnt object, he is a cheap serviceable bottom sixer.
Brian Gibbons? Pass.
Oscar Lindberg? I would be down for a 2 year deal, but he will get better offers elsewhere.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
That's exactly what we need. A bad team that ensures we finish at the bottom, but a team that's fun to watch
Exactly. Maybe ship out some guys at the deadline too. And gives some young guys some NHL time. If Brown does make the team, I just want him to play beside Brady. He needs that high energy guy to keep him engaged in the play. That's when he's at his best. Still not sure I see a 1C though. We could have 3 or 4 pretty good U25 middle 6 C's in Brown, White, Norris and Tierney. We really need Byfield next year. Or trade up this year to get a hopeful 1C. Newhook would be my target.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Exactly. Maybe ship out some guys at the deadline too. And gives some young guys some NHL time. If Brown does make the team, I just want him to play beside Brady. He needs that high energy guy to keep him engaged in the play. That's when he's at his best. Still not sure I see a 1C though. We could have 3 or 4 pretty good U25 middle 6 C's in Brown, White, Norris and Tierney. We really need Byfield next year. Or trade up this year to get a hopeful 1C. Newhook would be my target.
I think that I would explore moving Tierney. There is no way he will be a consistent 50 point player, and even if he is, locking him up long term is exactly the opposite of what this team needs to do with their 3rd/4th line players, even though they have shown multiple times in the past that they believe locking up these types of guys is whats needed to succeed in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad