Line Combos: 2019/2020 Lineup

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Ottawa will have some tough decisions to make out of training camp. What would your lineup look like, and why?

My premise for all prospects is that unless you are a top 5 draft pick, and can compete in the NHL right away, let them play in the AHL until they are dominating.
If Brown makes the team out of training camp, start him as 3rd line C and move White to right wing. If Brown starts in AHL, make White the 2C and Pageau 3C.
If by the TDL Brown is comfortable at 2 or 3C, then trade Tierney and move White to C. Assuming Davidsson was ready last year for CBJ, bring him up to replace White at RW.

White Tierney Duclair
Ryan Pageau Tkachuk
Batherson Brown Balcers
Gibson Smith Paul
Paajarvi

If Ottawa signs Ceci to 3 years or less, if he is not signed then Wolanin plays 2RD with Brannstrom and Boro pairs with Jaros.
DeMelo Chabot
Ceci Wolanin
Jaros Brannstrom
Boro
Harpur

Anderson
Hogberg

Trade Boedker at the draft.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Ceci and Paajarvi resigned short term.

Tkachuk-Tierney-Ryan
Duclair-White-Batherson
Boedker-Pageau-Balcers
Paajarvi-Smith-Paul

Chabot-Demelo
Wolanin-Ceci
Lajoie-Jaros
Borowiecki

Anderson
Nilsson

Last place here we come.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I think there’s a good chance White and/or Wolanin get offer sheet’d. Condon will be back.

I could also see Ceci for Kadri.

Tkachuk Kadri Duclair
Ryan Pageau Batherson
Tierney Brown Paul
Verroneau Smith Balcers
Boedkker Gibson

Chabot - DeMelo
Brannstrom - Jaros
Boro - Harpur
UFA

Anderson
Condon
Hogberg

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
There aren't any tough decisions - the roster is pretty much set.

Tkachuk-White-Gibbons
Duclair-Brown-Batherson
Formenton-Pageau-Ryan
Smith-Tierney-Paul
Boedker

Chabot-DeMelo
Brannstrom-Ceci
Borowiecki-Jaros
Wolanin
Harpur

Anderson
Hogberg

LTIR = Gaborik and MacArthur
Retained = Phaneuf
Buried = Condon

Assumptions:

White = 3.5M x 5
Gibbons = 1M x 1
Duclair = 1.25M x 1
Paul = .8 x 1
Ceci = 5M x 6

Active roster cap = 47.75M
Dead cap = 12.6M

Total cap = 60.35M

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Tkachuk-White- Duclair
Balcers - Tierney- Varreneau
Paul- Brown - Batherson
Smith - Pageau - Ryan
Boedker.

Chabot - DeMelo
Wolanin - Ceci
Braanstrom- Jaros
Boro

Reactions: Vprime

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Tkachuk-White-Gibbons
Duclair-Brown-Batherson
Formenton-Pageau-Ryan
Smith-Tierney-Paul
Boedker

Chabot-DeMelo
Brannstrom-Ceci
Borowiecki-Jaros
Wolanin
Harpur

Anderson
Hogberg

Retained = Phaneuf
Buried = Condon

Assumptions:

White = 3.5M x 5
Gibbons = 1M x 1
Duclair = 1.25M x 1
Paul = .8 x 1
Ceci = 5M x 6

Dead cap = 12.6M

Total cap = 60.35M

When people say “who cares if Boro isn’t the greatest, he won’t hurt you on the 3rd pairing!” He blocks a better defence man from playing. Also, I vomited when I saw the $ amount of active roster. Makes a case that there should be an active roster cap floor.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
It hurts my brain to see RW and RD listed on the left side of the ledger...

Also, I see no world in which Tierny is our 1st line center over White. They want to develop White as a center, I don't see them playing him on wing unless something goes really wrong.
Good point on White.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Ottawa will have some tough decisions to make out of training camp. What would your lineup look like, and why?

My premise for all prospects is that unless you are a top 5 draft pick, and can compete in the NHL right away, let them play in the AHL until they are dominating.
If Brown makes the team out of training camp, start him as 3rd line C and move White to right wing. If Brown starts in AHL, make White the 2C and Pageau 3C.
If by the TDL Brown is comfortable at 2 or 3C, then trade Tierney and move White to C. Assuming Davidsson was ready last year for CBJ, bring him up to replace White at RW.

White Tierney Duclair
Ryan Pageau Tkachuk
Batherson Brown Balcers
Gibson Smith Paul
Paajarvi

If Ottawa signs Ceci to 3 years or less, if he is not signed then Wolanin plays 2RD with Brannstrom and Boro pairs with Jaros.
DeMelo Chabot
Ceci Wolanin
Jaros Brannstrom
Boro
Harpur

Anderson
Hogberg

Trade Boedker at the draft.

No, no, no, trade Boedker now.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019

Tkachuk-White-Gibbons
Duclair-Brown-Batherson
Formenton-Pageau-Ryan
Smith-Tierney-Paul
Boedker

Chabot-DeMelo
Brannstrom-Ceci
Borowiecki-Jaros
Wolanin
Harpur

Anderson
Hogberg

Retained = Phaneuf
Buried = Condon

Assumptions:

White = 3.5M x 5
Gibbons = 1M x 1
Duclair = 1.25M x 1
Paul = .8 x 1
Ceci = 5M x 6

Dead cap = 12.6M

Total cap = 60.35M
Are you looking to sign Ceci for 6 years or do you believe that is what the Sens will do? IMO signing Ceci longer than 3 years will create cap issues and ability to bring on young RD.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Duclair-Tierney-Ryan
Tkachuk-White-Pageau
Paul-Brown-Batherson
Boedker-Smith-Pajaarvi

Chabot-Demelo
Brannstrom-XXX
Wolanin-Jaros
Boro

I think we over pay a Top 4 RD to replace Ceci and stabilize our D

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Duclair-Tierney-Ryan
Tkachuk-White-Pageau
Paul-Brown-Batherson
Boedker-Smith-Pajaarvi

Chabot-Demelo
Brannstrom-XXX
Wolanin-Jaros
Boro

I think we over pay a Top 4 RD to replace Ceci and stabilize our D
They will likely go with 23 players, who else would you keep up, without hurting their development?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The lines won’t be static. Brown could be the team’s best C or get cut and be in Belleville. He will probably spend time as both next year.

Browns defensive metrics looked better then expected in Belleville. I could see him slotting different for home and away games.

It’s doubtful but I haven’t written of Davidson or Norris from making the team.

The sens can’t auto promote players who have bad camps. If some of these guy outperform the Brown/Batherson types they could easily start with the team.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I assume that PD will try & trade all of the UFAs leading up to the trade deadline next yr, Pageau, Boedker, DeMello, Boro, Condon & Anderson. However, I doubt that anyone will want either Condon or Boedker & they will be allowed to walk at the end of the season. Anderson could be kept as some kind of insurance in net unless they get a very good offer & he wants to go. Mac's contract will also be up next yr.

I also think they will try & keep a number of their good prospects in Belleville for as long as possible so they have less good players to protect during the expansion draft. And they are going to want to try & get into the lottery draft as high as possible for 2020 so their is no real incentive to do well next season regardless of what PD says. I assume they will re-sign a few guys to new contracts White should be a long term deal, Duclair should be a show me deal, Ceci could be long term deal or he could be dealt. Daccord should be a show me deal, Paul, Rodewald, Tambellini & Klimchuk should all be short show me deals.

To start the 2019/20 season:
Duclair - Tierny - Ryan
Tkachuk - White - Balcers
Smith - Pageau - Boedker/Veronneau
Paul - Brown - Batherson

Chabot - DeMello
Wolanin - Ceci
Boro - Jaros/Harpur

Anderson - Hogberg/Condon

After the 2019/20 trade deadline & to start the next yr:
Duclair - Tierny - Ryan - show me something line
Tkachuk - White - Balcers - this is Balcers chance to show them something
Paul - Brown - Batherson - who knows if these guys stay together
Smith - Chlapik - Veronneau/Boedker (I doubt anyone will trade for Boedker)

Chabot - Wolanin
Brannstrom - Ceci (if he is still here)
Harpur - Jaros/Lajoie

Anderson - Hogberg/Condon (I doubt anyone will trade for Condon)

- 2021 season Smith, Duclair & Tierny could all be moved & Ryan the yr after.
- Who knows what they do with Anderson whether to keep him around as a mentor, backup or goalie coach or trade him, if someone wants him at the deadline next season.
- Gaborik & Phaneuf will both be off the books at the end of the 2021 season.
- The 2019 & 2020 top draft picks could also challenge for positions in 2021.

After the Expansion Draft & trade deadline to end the 2021 season:
Norris - Brown - Batherson
Tkachuk - White - Ryan/(Afanesyev 2019 draft) - replace Ryan next yr
Formenton - Chlapik - Leason (2019 draft)
Paul - Byfield (2020 draft)- Williams (2019 draft)

Chabot - Wolanin
Brannstrom - Jaros
Harpur - Seider (2019 draft)/(O'Rourke 2020 draft)

Hogberg - Gustavsson/Daccord/Askarov 2020 draft)

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Tkachuk-White-Batherson (Top line)
Balcers-Tierney-Ryan (2nd line that is actually a 3rd line on any other team)
Smith-Pageau-(Veteran UFA) (Gritty good ol' Canadian boys matchup line)
Duclair-Brown-Boedker (The 0-zone deployment 8 minutes a game at ES line)
Veronneau-Gibbons

I could see a lot of shuffling in the bottom 6, so don't take Veronneau or Gibbons out for Boedker too seriously. These aren't my preferred lines so much as what I would expect to see.

I think Batherson will be a top 6er pretty much out of the gate. Brown will have lots of growing pains. He'll rack up his 40+ points but I could see him sheltered and playing the prototypical trope of young high scoring rookie who all the fans want to see in the top 6 but the coach who doesn't know what he is doing hates! Outside of maybe a "please try harder now" scratch here or there, I think Brown stays in the lineup because even if he is barely playing at ES, he'll be useful on the powerplay.

We're gonna be really bad, so I could see a new coach leaning on Pageau pretty hard. I think he'll set a career high in ice time. As far as a veteran UFA, I think we'll sign somebody who can help out on Pageau's line and match up against top guys. We don't have many forwards who can play that role. Smith is stereotyped as a guy who can, but it's questionable whether he really excels at it at this point in his career. Speaking of Smith, I could see Smith-Brown-Duclair together as the fourth line with the idea being that Smith is the babysitter (Would be a great nickname). Not saying he's Bergeron, but I'd see that as the perception of why he is on there.

Chabot-Demelo
Brannstrom-Ceci
Boro/Harpur-Jaros

Our defense is gonna stink. If a new coach can figure out how to get the best out of Ceci, and if Brannstrom has a breakout season like Chabot just did, things might be salvageable. Other than Chabot, it'll be interesting to see if the other five defenders are given relatively even minutes, with a more committee like approach, or if a new coach buys into the CODY CECI IS A SHUTDOWN D-MAN storyline, and plays him 32 minutes a game against Sidney Crosby every night.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The entire team is going to stink next season. There is no sense in signing old vets such as Gibbons as it will only take valuable NHL experience away from the youngsters who have a future here. I do not think the Senators will spend any money on a decent UFA D or F next season because that is not the Melnyk strategy nor objective.

The tank strategy should be in effect to get at least a top 5 draft pick and hopefully win the draft lottery.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Tkachuk-White-Batherson (Top line)
Balcers-Tierney-Ryan (2nd line that is actually a 3rd line on any other team)
Smith-Pageau-(Veteran UFA) (Gritty good ol' Canadian boys matchup line)
Duclair-Brown-Boedker (The 0-zone deployment 8 minutes a game at ES line)
Veronneau-Gibbons

I could see a lot of shuffling in the bottom 6, so don't take Veronneau or Gibbons out for Boedker too seriously. These aren't my preferred lines so much as what I would expect to see.

I think Batherson will be a top 6er pretty much out of the gate. Brown will have lots of growing pains. He'll rack up his 40+ points but I could see him sheltered and playing the prototypical trope of young high scoring rookie who all the fans want to see in the top 6 but the coach who doesn't know what he is doing hates! Outside of maybe a "please try harder now" scratch here or there, I think Brown stays in the lineup because even if he is barely playing at ES, he'll be useful on the powerplay.

We're gonna be really bad, so I could see a new coach leaning on Pageau pretty hard. I think he'll set a career high in ice time. As far as a veteran UFA, I think we'll sign somebody who can help out on Pageau's line and match up against top guys. We don't have many forwards who can play that role. Smith is stereotyped as a guy who can, but it's questionable whether he really excels at it at this point in his career. Speaking of Smith, I could see Smith-Brown-Duclair together as the fourth line with the idea being that Smith is the babysitter (Would be a great nickname). Not saying he's Bergeron, but I'd see that as the perception of why he is on there.

Chabot-Demelo
Brannstrom-Ceci
Boro/Harpur-Jaros

Our defense is gonna stink. If a new coach can figure out how to get the best out of Ceci, and if Brannstrom has a breakout season like Chabot just did, things might be salvageable. Other than Chabot, it'll be interesting to see if the other five defenders are given relatively even minutes, with a more committee like approach, or if a new coach buys into the CODY CECI IS A SHUTDOWN D-MAN storyline, and plays him 32 minutes a game against Sidney Crosby every night.
Does Wolanin end up in the AHL?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
This next season is going to be a train full of hot garbage wrecking into a tire fire.

I'll still be cheering, but it's gonna get ugly.

Reactions: Duncstar

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
The entire team is going to stink next season. There is no sense in signing old vets such as Gibbons as it will only take valuable NHL experience away from the youngsters who have a future here. I do not think the Senators will spend any money on a decent UFA D or F next season because that is not the Melnyk strategy nor objective.

The tank strategy should be in effect to get at least a top 5 draft pick and hopefully win the draft lottery.
We all want the prospects to get playing time but not to the extent that it stunts their development. Who else is ready to play at the NHL level? If they sign Paajarvi and Gibbons they can be healthy scratches when the kids are ready.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Duclair-White-Tkachuk
Boedker-Tierney-Ryan
Balcers-Pageau-Verronneau
Paul-Smith-Gibbons

Chabot-Demelo
Wolanin-Jaros
Boro-Ceci-Harpur

Keep all the kids in Belleville

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
All I know is I don't think I can withstand watching Smith for another season with the Sens. They must find a way to get him out of town. Same with Ceci but we're all aware they're never letting him go however terrible he is.

Reactions: Cosmix

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Does Wolanin end up in the AHL?

Nope, just a case of not double checking my work and forgetting a certain player exists when putting a lineup together.

Probably a bit of a battle between Brannstrom and Wolanin in the depth chart.

If we do keep Ceci, I wonder if we eventually move on from Harpur or Boro. It seems like we'll have an eventual logjam at LD. I can't imagine we move on from Boro right now in the middle of a rebuild when he is supposed to be one of the leaders, but who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad