Line Combos: 2019/2020 Lineup

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Ducks fan here, I'm just curious, what do Sens fans think of Bobby Ryan as a player? I liked him a lot when he was a Duck, but most of what I've read recently about him has just been about his contract being awful. How do you guys feel about him as a player?
He's lost a step and it has had a negative effected on his game. He still has decent hands, is an ok playmaker, and has an ok shot.

His contract sucks but if he was a free agent this past summer some team would of taken him, maybe for a cap hit around 3 million. I expect him to put up a stat line similiar to last year, maybe more because he will get more PP time with Stone and Duchene gone.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Tkachuk - White- Brown
Duclair - Anisimov - Batherson
Ennis - Tierney - Ryan
Chaplik - Pageau- Sabourin

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - Hainsey
Bozo - DeMelo

Nilsson
Andy

Bingo. By the TDL please remove Hainsey, Ennis and Pageau. Please add Brown, Jaros and Abramov

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
no reason to get rid of pageau… the other 2 sure.
At some point we are going to have to trade off some centers.

White
Brown
Norris
Tierney
Pageau
Anisimov
Chlapik
Pinto
Crookshank

There's a good chance we pick a center next draft with a top 5 pick too. Ideally, we move guys while they still have good value. Pageau could probably bring back some decent value, but I'd be happy if he sticks around a little longer.

Reactions: coladin

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

White
Brown
Norris
Tierney
Pageau
Anisimov
Chlapik
Pinto
Crookshank

There's a good chance we pick a center next draft with a top 5 pick too. Ideally, we move guys while they still have good value. Pageau could probably bring back some decent value, but I'd be happy if he sticks around a little longer.
A bunch of those guys could be moved to wing if needed.

Reactions: Cosmix

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Veronneau has an absolute NHL shot...

He absolutely doesn't. Like... It's very below-average for NHL standards. It's like he's throwing a wet noodle across a football field. He's got accuracy up close near the crease, but get him to the faceoff dot, and he might as well be trying to score with a whiffle ball. It's not even close to being quick enough to fool NHL goalies.

His best skill is his skating & speed by far, followed by his playmaking, hockey sense, and stickhandling.

He's never going to be a goal scorer in the NHL. The hope is he can be a playmaking winger on a 3rd line, and you hope with his speed, you can turn him into a legit 2-way player who can excel in the transition game.

Reactions: Icelevel

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He absolutely doesn't. Like... It's very below-average for NHL standards. It's like he's throwing a wet noodle across a football field. He's got accuracy up close near the crease, but get him to the faceoff dot, and he might as well be trying to score with a whiffle ball. It's not even close to being quick enough to fool NHL goalies.

His best skill is his skating & speed by far, followed by his playmaking, hockey sense, and stickhandling.

He's never going to be a goal scorer in the NHL. The hope is he can be a playmaking winger on a 3rd line, and you hope with his speed, you can turn him into a legit 2-way player who can excel in the transition game.

I was basing my opinion on the two lasers I have seen him score. Hopefully the rest develops in Belleville

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I have looked at our lineup and prospects over and over,we are going to be bad for awhile....I get going with youth,but what do they see we have coming that nobody else does....

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

One of the things he does very well is filter the puck on net. He'll catch goalies off guard by putting the puck on net when they don't expect it and create some chaos.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok, so is this how we line up?

Tkachuk-White-Brown
Duclair-Tierney-Batherson
Ennis-Anisimov-Ryan
Chlapik-Pageau-Boedker
Sabourin

Chabot-Zaitsev
Brannstrom-Hainsey
Boro-DeMelo
Goloubef

Anderson
Nilsson

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I was basing my opinion on the two lasers I have seen him score. Hopefully the rest develops in Belleville
You mean like the one on the PP against the Leafs? I was sitting in the 200s on the dot where he took that shot from and ya that was an NHL shot.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I like Tkachuk and Brown together. They play a great game.

White plays like a mix of both of them too. I like that line a lot. That's the line that plays the right way and then you have the 2nd line which is more skill based.

Reactions: WaitingInVain

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You mean like the one on the PP against the Leafs? I was sitting in the 200s on the dot where he took that shot from and ya that was an NHL shot.
Yep. And the one last year was amazing. He put it in the tiniest of openings

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011

White
Brown
Norris
Tierney
Pageau
Anisimov
Chlapik
Pinto
Crookshank

White.. RW
Brown..1C Belleville till further notice
Norris.. Future #2C
Tierney.. Traded
Pageau..Traded or Cheap 3/4 Bottom
Anisimov..Traded
Chlapik.. LW
Pinto..Years away from being years away
Crookshank LW/RW

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This is a tank team but I don’t think dorion and DJ think so. This sabourin thing is getting out of hand.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is a tank team but I don’t think dorion and DJ think so. This sabourin thing is getting out of hand.

I think it was pretty obvious in Dorion's interview when asked about Brown that they are taking the slow approach... Sabourin just backs it up.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
This season being the last before the turn of the decade, I went back out of curiosity and checked out the last two seasons at the end of each decade and discovered an interesting similarity between those teams and the team we have today.

Here's the stats line from the 99-00 season, if you recall, Yashin held out that year and the team was basically forced to come together and win "by committee" (the year prior, Yashin led the team with 94 points while the second most player had only 56 points):

1999-2000:

b2322a6be36fe5d9edad621f968235a6-full.jpg

Aside from Alfie who was a PPG that year, the rest of the team was basically a bunch of young guns (Hossa, Fisher, Redden) mixed with players who in hindsight, were all 3rd and 4th liners. Radek Bonk led the team in points with 60 and that was good for 52nd overall in the league. By the way, we made the playoffs that year finishing 6th in the conference.

Flashforward to 2009-2010:

That was Cory Clouston's 1st year as coach (if I'm not mistaken) and the team was fresh off missing the playoffs the year before. They had Alfie and Spezza, and then again in hindsight, a bunch of 3rd and 4th line players at that point in their careers:

2009-2010

74ecb23b912cb29f61251c2a4cfdf5b8-full.jpg

As you can see, Alfie led the team with 71 points while the 2nd most was 57 points. They pretty much found a way to spread the offense around and, for those who forgot, the Senators made the playoffs that season too.

This season is sort of the same, we have a few "veterans" mixed in with a couple of young players who are ready to break out. We have a solid #1 defenseman, a #1 left wing, a #2 centre playing as a #1 (Bonk anyone?) and then a bunch of a 3rd and 4th liners. Admittedly we are missing one key ingredient--veteran skill, something guys like Alfie and Spezza provided back in 09-10 but we do have Ryan, Anissimov and Hainsey so...yeah not the same, oh well, I tried.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad