Line Combos: 2019/2020 Lineup

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nothing says 'going for it' quite like having a 27 year old AHL goon on your opening night roster.

Sabu was the missing piece all along.

Look I am happy for Sabourin.. Great for him. I think its an odd thing to go out and do. I would rather have the contract spot and I would be giving Nic Petan a shot right now. Maybe I am underestimating Sabourin's future as a valuable part of the Sens. I give that like in the 0-1% range but .. no big deal.. My preference would be to try to find another player that could have a future and has displayed abilities as being a better player. I don't see it as a big need where we need this guy as a deterrent to someone face washing Colin White in a scrum. Not many players are going to be intimidated by the prospect that Scott Sabourin may be on the ice the next time they are.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Look I am happy for Sabourin.. Great for him. I think its an odd thing to go out and do. I would rather have the contract spot and I would be giving Nic Petan a shot right now. Maybe I am underestimating Sabourin's future as a valuable part of the Sens. I give that like in the 0-1% range but .. no big deal.. My preference would be to try to find another player that could have a future and has displayed abilities as being a better player. I don't see it as a big need where we need this guy as a deterrent to someone face washing Colin White in a scrum. Not many players are going to be intimidated by the prospect that Scott Sabourin may be on the ice the next time they are.

If we had more open contract spots, I'd have no issue with Sabourin getting a contract to be the 13th forward. I would have liked to have more options for guys going through waivers right now though.

Reactions: Hinterland

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If we had more open contract spots, I'd have no issue with Sabourin getting a contract to be the 13th forward. I would have liked to have more options for guys going through waivers right now though.
13th forward sits in the press box more often than not. I can't see how he deters players from taking liberties from there. There will be a rotation Sabourin will not be the 13th forward in a traditional sense.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
yeah I agree.. the waiver wire looks really good this year would have been nice to give these guys true show-me years.

Reactions: Cosmix and Icelevel

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think it was pretty obvious in Dorion's interview when asked about Brown that they are taking the slow approach... Sabourin just backs it up.

I think the slow approach is more attributable to Brown's lack of development to NHL level (speed, competitiveness) than the team purposefully adopting that approach.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think the slow approach is more attributable to Brown's lack of development to NHL level (speed, competitiveness) than the team purposefully adopting that approach.

Why put a player in a position to fail when they dont have to? He easily had NHL speed and competitiveness but he isnt even close to fully developed. Much better to have him continue to improve playing 20 + minutes a game on a good team than be on a terrible team playing 10 minutes at this point in his life. Absolutely no reason to have him up here yet. I find it shocking that so few posters are unfamiliar with the concept that bigger players development curves are far longer than small fully developed forwards.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
The team did think Curtis Lazar was "ready" at an early age too and forced him into the lineup on a much better team. They tried him everywhere in the line-up playing on all lines with every possible player to get him to "give him a chance" but look how that turned out. You either have it or you do not, it is simple. Jason Spezza back in 2003 came in and Martin did not "give him a chance" but when he got on the ice he made himself noticed and took full advantage. That is what separates the great players from the rest, you can put them on any line, and they might not put up the points, but you definitely see them create chances and offensive opportunities.

Simply noticing a players "potential" should not be reason enough to earn them playing time in the NHL; Alexei Kaigorodov showed "potential" at one point too.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
This is good for the tank!

But not for player development, which is why Wolanin injury has a bigger impact than anticipated. Brann muffin deserves to start, but as soon as he starts to get shredded by regular season NHL teams, he needs to be sent down to hone in on his offensive and defensive skills, dominating the A. He is a key player for this rebuild, and like Logan Brown, should incubate fully in Belleville while Ass Captain Hainsey gets his shredded instead alongside Golobouf/Jaros/Jabronie.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Why put a player in a position to fail when they dont have to? He easily had NHL speed and competitiveness but he isnt even close to fully developed. Much better to have him continue to improve playing 20 + minutes a game on a good team than be on a terrible team playing 10 minutes at this point in his life. Absolutely no reason to have him up here yet. I find it shocking that so few posters are unfamiliar with the concept that bigger players development curves are far longer than small fully developed forwards.

I am not proposing that L Brown be given a roster spot in Ottawa because he is not at the NHL level of play at this time. Let him develop in Belleville. However I am disappointed in his development so far. Hopefully he will develop this year in the AHL and perhaps get called up to replace an injured or traded player if he improves his game. This team still needs a highly skilled center and I have doubts that Brown will ever be a first line center. Perhaps he can become a second line center.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think Brannstrom is going to get an education in the NHL that will cause him to work hard to improve his game; but that work will likely have to be done in the AHL until he matures a bit more due to his diminutive size.

I have not seen higher end speed and quickness, nor puck-handling from him and I really wonder why Dorion was so irrationally exhuberant when he tradeed for him.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I think Brannstrom is going to get an education in the NHL that will cause him to work hard to improve his game; but that work will likely have to be done in the AHL until he matures a bit more due to his diminutive size.

I have not seen higher end speed and quickness, nor puck-handling from him and I really wonder why Dorion was so irrationally exhuberant when he tradeed for him.

Hyper compensative defensive game so he sticks. It’s also easier said than done to execute at the NHL than the AHL/SweHL, regardless of puck skill. It’ll come.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Brannstrom certainly earned a job this pre-season (with help from Wolanin's injury) but I still would have sent him down to avoid him getting caved. I think the tweet being concerned with the Brannstrom/Hainsey pairing has some merit, and I would hope that pairing doesn't get the "shutdown deployment".

If I had my way I'd probably be going with this (at least to start the year)...

Chabot - Zaitsev (cushy O-zone minutes, PP time)
Hainsey - Demelo ("Shutdown" pair, let guys who won't be around long-term/next year get caved)
Borowiecki - Ebert/Goloubef/Jaros (Secondary "shutdown pair, same idea as Hainsey/DD)

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
The top line of Tkachuk - White - Brown needs to be broken up. All have similar skill sets and don’t compliment each other.

Reactions: senswon

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
The top line of Tkachuk - White - Brown needs to be broken up. All have similar skill sets and don’t compliment each other.
Yeah I wrote in another thread they should try putting bath with guys his own age.
Tkachuk-White-Batherson
Duclair-Anisimov-Brown

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

For what it's worth, I love that "2nd" line. Hopefully that can stick together a bit and develop some chemistry.

the RW depth on this team is such a mess in the short and long-term, imo. We're REALLY banking on Batherson becoming something here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad