Injury Report: 2019-2020 Injury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
You don’t subscribe? Shame.

For the record, my piece involved sleuthing around the Avs practice facility today with video. I’m not in Minnesota, AJ is.

Everyone is going to be so hyped for Rants coming back, during the warmup the music will randomly start blaring Big Guns by AC/DC louder than hell. Roach will jump on the PA screaming, OH MY GOD! That's Wilson's song!!!

Reactions: S3rkie and klozge

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
We all agree that the Calvert play should've been blown dead because of the seriousness of the injury. It was a mistake, and Bettman kinda admitted as much without directly saying it. However, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison with what happened to the ref last night. First of all, the ref did get hit in the head, and was clearly in a lot of pain. Just because he was able to return doesn't mean it wasn't serious at the time. It was the right decision to stop play. When a player get injured, the team has to gain possession of the puck to stop play (unless the injury is deemed serious). Obviously this doesn't apply to refs since they aren't a team and can't gain possession. Additionally, when the ref was injured, there wasn't a scoring opportunity taking place like in the Calvert situation. It has always been precedent that whenever a ref or linesman gets injured, the play is stopped right away, and that's the way it should be.

Let's just acknowledge that the refs made a mistake on the Calvert play and not try to compare the two situations because they're completely different.
The situations are different because the league makes it different. Having a ref down is less of an issue on gameplay that having a player down so the situations should be flipped if you want to get nitty gritty with it. But I’m not advocating that, let’s think of safety first and blow the whistle quickly when a player or ref is in distress.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
We all agree that the Calvert play should've been blown dead because of the seriousness of the injury. It was a mistake, and Bettman kinda admitted as much without directly saying it. However, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison with what happened to the ref last night. First of all, the ref did get hit in the head, and was clearly in a lot of pain. Just because he was able to return doesn't mean it wasn't serious at the time. It was the right decision to stop play. When a player get injured, the team has to gain possession of the puck to stop play (unless the injury is deemed serious). Obviously this doesn't apply to refs since they aren't a team and can't gain possession. Additionally, when the ref was injured, there wasn't a scoring opportunity taking place like in the Calvert situation. It has always been precedent that whenever a ref or linesman gets injured, the play is stopped right away, and that's the way it should be.

Let's just acknowledge that the refs made a mistake on the Calvert play and not try to compare the two situations because they're completely different.

If the ref's continue to be as piss poor at officiating as they have the last 4 years or so, I'd be in favor of making them gain possession of the puck to stop play. This would allow someone like Big Z to just fire the puck as hard as he can at the poor bastard lying on the ground. The ref's would get possession, stop the play, and Z gets to let go over the fact that they keep calling him for penalties simply due to his size or strength.

^ This is a somewhat sarcastic comment on the state of officiating. I do not condone shooting pucks at the officials on a regular basis. But once in a while...

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good to hear Rantanen is close. Saturday seems too good to be true since he hasn't even had a full contact practice but hopefully he's back sometime next week.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Has anyone seen any updates on Calvert at all?

Last I saw was he was sent to Denver for tests, and then never heard anything after that.

We're all assuming it's a concussion, but it would be nice to hear some clarification

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I know Calvert's role is to be this madman jumping to puck head first but I am afraid for his health. He has taken some heavy hits, fights and puck.. It's going to leave a mark.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I know Calvert's role is to be this madman jumping to puck head first but I am afraid for his health. He has taken some heavy hits, fights and puck.. It's going to leave a mark.
Ya he should definitely lay off the fights at least for a bit. He's too important we need him on the ice. The other stuff is just unlucky.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Getting Calvert AND Mikko back soon are huge news for our squad. Let's hope we get them back for the b2b against Chicago. That would help.

No need to rush them in against the Oilers because no matter who we ice Wednesday McDraisaitl will kill us - most likely - anyway.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Great to hear Rants and Calvert are close.

Has anyone heard anything on Wilson? His injury seems the most mysterious.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Bednar said he's going to start practising and working with Allard as soon as Monday/Tuesday.

Not sure what the hell happened with him, I am guessing groin issue since he hasn't skated at all, but that's just a guess.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow

You know that he died, right?

But seriously - ALL of Wilsons injuries start as a day2day and then he's out for about a month or so. All we know is that he "tweeked" something right around the time Landy went down and he's MIA ever since.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado

Yeah, except they're not completely different. In fact, they are very similar.

A human being participating in a professional hockey game gets hit in the head with the puck, they're down on the ice, and they are clearly in distress. It shouldn't matter if it's a home team player, a visiting team player, a referee, a coach, a trainer, a player on the team possessing the puck, or a player on the team not possessing the puck. The key thing to consider is "a human being gets hit in the head, they're down on the ice, and they're clearly in distress". Safety should be job one.

Blow the play dead regardless of who is hurt. If players try and take advantage of it then it's easy enough to counteract: make the player sit out one to N shifts.

Reactions: McMetal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad