Injury Report: 2019-2020 Injury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
The Calvert situation was the impetus for the conversation, and he referenced it in his comments. I wasn't able to find the full video but he might have been asked specifically about the Calvert play as well.

In the Sportsnet video, he also said this before the comment about Colorado/Calvert.

"We'll probably discuss further whether or not the rule needs to be modified, or we just need the officials to make sure they're more comfortable using common sense..."
Ok he kinda shames them in that last quote. But in such a roundabout way.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ok he kinda shames them in that last quote. But in such a roundabout way.

On one hand I kinda like the snark, especially coming from a guy who almost exclusively speaks legalese.

But again, this kinda stuff just scares the refs even more. There needs to be concrete support for them...and conversely, there needs to be concrete criticism and corrective measures (and by that I'm not advocating punishment, just a process to correct the issue and make it so the officials don't make the same mistake again).

Bettman needs to be a commissioner and too often he's a politician.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
On one hand I kinda like the snark, especially coming from a guy who almost exclusively speaks legalese.

But again, this kinda stuff just scares the refs even more. There needs to be concrete support for them...and conversely, there needs to be concrete criticism and corrective measures (and by that I'm not advocating punishment, just a process to correct the issue and make it so the officials don't make the same mistake again).

Bettman needs to be a commissioner and too often he's a politician.
Agreed. This is an issue where the league needs to make a stand and clarify things for the refs, ie any head related injury is serious and the play must be stop. On the other hand Bettman does not make the rules, he just facilitates the process between the owners and the players. I just wish he was more opionated/influential in public. (Maybe he is behind closed doors.)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
In case anyone was curious, Werenski tweeted rather emphatically about the Calvert incident, saying the play needed to be blown dead, and Seth Jones RT'd it.

It probably hits home for them as defenseman, since they know they could hit guys in the head with their shots at any time.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
It probably hits home for them as defenseman, since they know they could hit guys in the head with their shots at any time.

Or getting hit in the face themselves a couple years ago in the exact same situation (or teammate in Jones case).

Still think it's a horrible that this wasn't sorted out years ago when that happened and we have to see these plays not getting whistled down. There are better alternatives to deal with the potential dives that would come with it than putting players at risk. Whether it's mandatory concussion room following it (gone for 10 minutes min.) or unsportsmanlike penalties if the dives get bad, no point in having these guys not get help right away in a serious situation because someone might take advantage in some way.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Or getting hit in the face themselves a couple years ago in the exact same situation (or teammate in Jones case).

Still think it's a horrible that this wasn't sorted out years ago when that happened and we have to see these plays not getting whistled down. There are better alternatives to deal with the potential dives that would come with it than putting players at risk. Whether it's mandatory concussion room following it (gone for 10 minutes min.) or unsportsmanlike penalties if the dives get bad, no point in having these guys not get help right away in a serious situation because someone might take advantage in some way.

Yeah it's probably more that. :laugh:

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Wait a few years buy it on the cheap when he signs in calgary

giphy.gif

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
Coming in peace! Is there any update on Landeskog? Have him on two of my fantasy hockey teams and was wondering how he was doing

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Coming in peace! Is there any update on Landeskog? Have him on two of my fantasy hockey teams and was wondering how he was doing
Rumours are that he has a broken foot and that's around a month and a half of heal time (which could possibly be longer depending how and where he broke it). We actually haven't officially been told what happened to him as our organisation is Illuminati, just know that he's out indefinitely and it is a LBI.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Nobody knows anything when it comes to injuries and the Avs. But it is fair to assume that he won't be back anytime soon. He's not skating yet (as far as WE know) so he's at least 2-3 weeks away, probably more.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Rantanen has been skating with the skillz coach. Ready to go non-contact practice when Avs come back to town? Play on the 27th against Edmonton? Sounds good to me.

Reactions: Avsboy

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
I’m really hoping Rantanen is back for the game in Chicago. Been looking forward to seeing him light the Hawks up.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I read an article with the head of safety and the head of officiating in it basically defending the officials. Saying that he didn't look injured at the time and that it was only 3-4 seconds so it wouldn't have made much of a difference and he could've been faking. So the rule won't change. Also it's also hard to see blood in that short of time for the line of sight the officials had on the situation.

Pretty tough stance to take...I could see the blood on TV and it wasn't 3-4 seconds try 15-17. And didn't have a good view of it? f*** off. He was dead center and all officials could've made the call.

Hunting for it again now.

Reactions: Pokecheque

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
I was watching the Rangers vs Caps game last night and one of the referees got hit in the head with a puck. Not surprisingly the other referees blew the whistle immediately; I mean they damn near blew the whistle before the ref hit the ice it was so quick. The ref that got hit with the puck hit the ice like he was shot by Lee Harvey Oswald; yet, he was able to continue the game without missing a minute of game time.

It seems really wrong that the refs would blow the play dead immediately if a ref gets hit even though he was not injured very badly; yet, they let the play continue when Zadarov breaks a jaw and is bleeding all over the ice or Calvert gets knocked silly, is bleeding all over the ice, and is out for a week or more.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
I was watching the Rangers vs Caps game last night and one of the referees got hit in the head with a puck. Not surprisingly the other referees blew the whistle immediately; I mean they damn near blew the whistle before the ref hit the ice it was so quick. The ref that got hit with the puck hit the ice like he was shot by Lee Harvey Oswald; yet, he was able to continue the game without missing a minute of game time.

It seems really wrong that the refs would blow the play dead immediately if a ref gets hit even though he was not injured very badly; yet, they let the play continue when Zadarov breaks a jaw and is bleeding all over the ice or Calvert gets knocked silly, is bleeding all over the ice, and is out for a week or more.

We all agree that the Calvert play should've been blown dead because of the seriousness of the injury. It was a mistake, and Bettman kinda admitted as much without directly saying it. However, it's not an apples-to-apples comparison with what happened to the ref last night. First of all, the ref did get hit in the head, and was clearly in a lot of pain. Just because he was able to return doesn't mean it wasn't serious at the time. It was the right decision to stop play. When a player get injured, the team has to gain possession of the puck to stop play (unless the injury is deemed serious). Obviously this doesn't apply to refs since they aren't a team and can't gain possession. Additionally, when the ref was injured, there wasn't a scoring opportunity taking place like in the Calvert situation. It has always been precedent that whenever a ref or linesman gets injured, the play is stopped right away, and that's the way it should be.

Let's just acknowledge that the refs made a mistake on the Calvert play and not try to compare the two situations because they're completely different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad