Injury Report: 2019-2020 Injury Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What an insane streak of injuries. Can this be over now?

Game 9 vs Blues - Rantanen lower body injury (knee/ankle?)
Game 11 vs Ducks - Landeskog lower body injury (broken foot?)
Game 11 vs Ducks - Wilson lower body injury (dead lower body?)
Game 15 vs Stars - Grubauer lower body injury (groin?)
Game 16 vs Preds - Zadorov broken jaw
Game 17 vs Jackets - Bellemare concussion
Game 18 vs Jets - Francouz concussion
Game 18 vs Jets - Kadri injury?

Updated.

6 games in a row now with an injury and 8 of the last 12 games. When will it end?

Game 9 vs Blues - Rantanen lower body injury (knee/ankle?)
Game 11 vs Ducks - Landeskog lower body injury (broken foot?)
Game 11 vs Ducks - Wilson lower body injury (dead lower body?)
Game 15 vs Stars - Grubauer lower body injury (groin?)
Game 16 vs Preds - Zadorov broken jaw
Game 17 vs Jackets - Bellemare concussion
Game 18 vs Jets - Francouz concussion
Game 19 vs Oilers - Jost upper body injury
Game 20 vs Canucks - Calvert concussion

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’m really hoping they don’t rush anyone back. It’s sounding like we should have everyone back (aside from Landy) within two weeks. Depending on the severity of Calvert’s concussion of course.

But, a lot of guys are getting close. Wait until everyone is 100%, take a couple L’s if necessary and then go kick some bum.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I’m really hoping they don’t rush anyone back. It’s sounding like we should have everyone back (aside from Landy) within two weeks. Depending on the severity of Calvert’s concussion of course.

But, a lot of guys are getting close. Wait until everyone is 100%, take a couple L’s if necessary and then go kick some bum.
The team could do those injured guys a huge favor by winning more than losing thats for sure.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
The team could do those injured guys a huge favor by winning more than losing thats for sure.
This team is missing 5 forwards, 2 of them 30 goal scorers, and as of today still both NHL goalies. It's a mild surprise to me that they can even keep up with the more healthy teams - which are ALL maybe except the Pens. Every point we can steal right now is a point we don't need later on.

And eventually we'll get healthy ... right ?!?

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
This team is missing 5 forwards, 2 of them 30 goal scorers, and as of today still both NHL goalies. It's a mild surprise to me that they can even keep up with the more healthy teams - which are ALL maybe except the Pens. Every point we can steal right now is a point we don't need later on.

And eventually we'll get healthy ... right ?!?

We could say something about how it couldn't get any....something.....

But I'd get a world of hurt if I said that....but now you're thinking it.....so you're just as guilty.....

giphy.gif

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
At this point, I'm asking everyone to ping all journalists with nhl connections to ask the NHL about the rules here. It's not just the Avs....many teams have had folks hit in the head and the play has been allowed to continue. As EJ said, 'It's a f***ing joke." The rules currently give the refs leeway to call the play dead, but there is not information on how they are coached to make this decision. I can point to at least a half dozen situations this season where the play should have been blown dead. The NHLPA better but this issue up front and center for the next CBA. It's bull-shit. Seriously, we have players on an opposing team waving their arms trying to get the refs attention to a downed player while the play is live in their offensive zone. It's ridiculous. At some point, I'd like to see the attacking team just pass the puck to the defending team to stop the play but seriously, this is on the players. Player safety is on the league and the refs need to be making these calls. It's bullshit. At this point, I'm thinking the NHLPA needs to push to have a voice in grading refs and linesmen and enforcing some standards. These assholes are managing games and enforcing their will on games with weak calls and missed calls and not stepping up to ensure safety. I've been watching hockey for over 30 years and I've never seen the league so indifferent to player safety as it is today. At least in the 80s and 90s the players had goons. We got rid of them because they didn't serve a purpose, and the minute they went away, the refs just went to shit.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Does he really have a fan club or are they just his alternate accounts?
I'm really hopping that the Enforcers get a huge payday based on the NHL doing nothing about head injuries. Here we are on 2019 and the league is apparently schooling Refs not to blow the whistle after players take a slapshot upside their noggin. It doesn't matter if they are bleeding a bit, or profusely....The refs have been trained to not use judgement and to allow the play to go on with no respect to player safety.

Gary Bettman's stance on the science being too new and not complete enough is going to ruin any momentum the NHL might be creating in regards to getting National attention in the US.

Gary and every single NHL ref and linesmen need to be punted to the way-side. The NHLPA needs to make player safety a hill they are willing to die on in the next CBA. If they don't, it will be a hill upon which a tombstone will be firmly planted.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I've decided to fully embrace the injuries. As long as they're not season-ending, bring em on!

The injuries give us a chance to see what every single depth player is capable of. Before the season started, many of us likely thought Megna could be a real player for us. Based on what we've seen so far, that does not appear to be true. We're learning a lot about all the guys we might need to rely on at some point in the playoffs. Some of it has been good (Donskoi, Bura), others not so much.

Also, with all the injuries, we're going to lose some games we'd otherwise win. This is also good. If you look at last year, the worst thing that can happen to a team is to be a sure-thing playoff team all season long. Unless you're a veteran team like Boston, your players will start to take winning for granted and lose that desperation you need to win in the playoffs. Losing some games now will make the Avs have to fight all season long for their playoff position, which will prepare the roster for the fight that is the playoffs. We'll be a battle-tested roster all the way from top to bottom, and the coaches will know every single player inside and out.

Now, all of this changes if MacKinnon and/or Makar suffer a serious injury. If that happens, we're in big trouble.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I mean, this is probably as close as we were gonna get to Bettman saying they need to blow the whistle in cases like this.

“Generally [the rule allowing officials to stop the game] is applied with common sense and that’s what we encourage the officials to [use],” he said. “Obviously if the player is in real distress on the ice, the officials need to react. But those are tough situations to be in to evaluate in real time.

“What you don’t want — and this wasn’t the case [with Calvert] — you don’t’ want it being used for gamesmanship, where a game is stopped needlessly. Having said that, any time a player is in distress, the officials know they need to stop the game.”

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I mean, this is probably as close as we were gonna get to Bettman saying they need to blow the whistle in cases like this.

“Generally [the rule allowing officials to stop the game] is applied with common sense and that’s what we encourage the officials to [use],” he said. “Obviously if the player is in real distress on the ice, the officials need to react. But those are tough situations to be in to evaluate in real time.

“What you don’t want — and this wasn’t the case [with Calvert] — you don’t’ want it being used for gamesmanship, where a game is stopped needlessly. Having said that, any time a player is in distress, the officials know they need to stop the game.”
He says nothing specific about the situation at hand.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
He says nothing specific about the situation at hand.

The Calvert situation was the impetus for the conversation, and he referenced it in his comments. I wasn't able to find the full video but he might have been asked specifically about the Calvert play as well.

In the Sportsnet video, he also said this before the comment about Colorado/Calvert.

"We'll probably discuss further whether or not the rule needs to be modified, or we just need the officials to make sure they're more comfortable using common sense..."

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
The Calvert situation was the impetus for the conversation, and he referenced it in his comments. I wasn't able to find the full video but he might have been asked specifically about the Calvert play as well.

In the Sportsnet video, he also said this before the comment about Colorado/Calvert.

"We'll probably discuss further whether or not the rule needs to be modified, or we just need the officials to make sure they're more comfortable using common sense..."

Apparently they’re not comfortable using common sense otherwise this wouldn’t have happened twice in like 10 days, plus with Werenski in the playoffs

Reactions: Pokecheque

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Apparently they’re not comfortable using common sense otherwise this wouldn’t have happened twice in like 10 days, plus with Werenski in the playoffs

Yeah, that's why I wish MacKinnon and others wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt and blame the rule. The rule says they can blow the whistle.

Refs have almost always applied common sense to this rule in the past and blown the play dead pretty quickly when guys get hit in the head/face with the puck. The refs just chose not to apply common sense on the Zadorov and Calvert plays.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
The fact theyre saying Calvert doesn’t have a concussion, could be a good thing (in that he doesn’t have a 2nd concussion in 7 months), but also extremely worrying and could be a fracture. I’m not a dr, but I don’t think there’s many other ailments that he could be suffering from.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I miss Rantanen so much. He's my favorite player and celebrating wins while wearing his jersey just doesn't feel right. And I don't wanna wear anyone else's jersey and you can't make me.

Reactions: Murzu

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

In case anyone was curious, Werenski tweeted rather emphatically about the Calvert incident, saying the play needed to be blown dead, and Seth Jones RT'd it.

Reactions: forsbergavs32
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad