2019 - 2020 AUS Thread

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
The penalty box:
By the way, it's worth noting that X has by far the most penalty minutes in U Sports, at 702, SMU next at 529, followed by Acadia 486. UNB is the least penalized AUS team at 423.
All AUS teams are within the top 11 in the country. This is a pretty good indication that the AUS is by far the most physical league in all of USports!
OUA's Windsor at 479, Guelph 478 and Carelton at 471.
Compare those stats with the most penalized CanadaWest team in Manitoba at 379.
Alberta at 286 and USask at 255.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
The penalty box:
By the way, it's worth noting that X has by far the most penalty minutes in U Sports, at 702, SMU next at 529, followed by Acadia 486. UNB is the least penalized AUS team at 423.
All AUS teams are within the top 11 in the country. This is a pretty good indication that the AUS is by far the most physical league in all of USports!
OUA's Windsor at 479, Guelph 478 and Carelton at 471.
Compare those stats with the most penalized CanadaWest team in Manitoba at 379.
Alberta at 286 and USask at 255.
Gotta think that Cormier,Difruscia,Cuoma and Spears would total over half of X's pims?

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
This has been the trend for the last number of years. The AUS teams always rank highly compared to other U Sports teams.
AUS teams play big-boy hockey; full-contact hockey. It really showed when you compare the UNB-StFX semifinal versus the Alberta-Sask semifinal at the UCup a couple of years ago (albeit that UNB-X game was a bit of an extreme example since it was such a grudge match).

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
Right - I hadn't looked that far up. Should have seen that, but you're right. :thumbu:

StFX certainly not doing themselves any favours in a weekend where they only have 1 game (vs UdeM with two, albeit vs Acadia and SMU). They will be without Difruscia, Cormier & Cianfrone for their game vs UPEI on Saturday (basically a must win for them if they expect to catch UdeM).

Wasn't the big fight this time last year?

Yes it was...that game was Saturday February 2, 2019

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Kinda OT , but the professionalism of the Acadia play by play guy is a real treat ! Most of the broadcasts of road games for UNB feel extremely amateur .

Reactions: Drummer and Rob

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Doesn’t sound like it will be fixed.

This is at least the second UNB road game this year that has been completely unwatchable...disappointing.
At least it’s not been a close game... my biggest fear with AUStv and I almost don’t want to say it in fear of jinxing is, is that this happens during the playoffs ....

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
At least it’s not been a close game... my biggest fear with AUStv and I almost don’t want to say it in fear of jinxing is, is that this happens during the playoffs ....
Precisely what I was thinking. It is stuck at the end of the second, I don't give my guys much to go on given their opposition.

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
Kinda OT , but the professionalism of the Acadia play by play guy is a real treat ! Most of the broadcasts of road games for UNB feel extremely amateur .
Len Hawley is an allstar to be sure, Norman Beck in PEI as a color guy is excellent. AUAA allstar from the early 80's. Great at identifying other teams strengths and weaknesses too, love to see him and Len do a game.

Reactions: dm8895 and Rob

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
My only problem with the Acadia webcast is the volume level.

St FX couldn't take advantage of their 12 Power Plays to UPEI's 4 tonight. Did anyone watch the game and did UPEI deserve their 14 penalties for 47 minutes total? St FX meanwhile had 14 minutes?

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I would think he and st cyr are the two most valuable to their teams success offensively for sure.
That really sucks for SMU! I am one that would like too see them in the University cup this year.
Hopefully he can return sooner than expected. I still think SMU has the skill to get out of the first round, without him.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The final weekend of the season has arrived.

As expected, but somewhat anti-climatic, the UNB/ACD game was for first place, but I think most people thought the two teams would be closer in points versus the 7point lead UNB had at the time.

This weekend has lots of stories and playoff ramifications for spots 3 to 6 though.

SMU 3rd (32 pts)
- 2pts in front of UdeM & 5pts in front of St.FX.
- can't get to 2nd but can't finish worse than 4th
- SMU has the tie-breaker over Moncton (4-1)
- play host to St.FX and @ DAL
(should win both games and end with 36 pts - remain 3rd)
(a win over DAL is all they need)

Moncton 4th (30 pts)
- 2pts behind SMU and 3pts in front of St.FX
- could get to 3rd, but could also drop to 5th
- Moncton has the tie-breaker over St.FX, but no tie-breaker vs SMU
- play @ UPEI and host UNB
(should win over UPEI and end with 32 pts - remain 4th)
(need 3 of 4 points to overtake SMU, but that means taking a point from UNB. They only have 3 pts vs UNB over the past 5 seasons; 1-21-0-1 & SMU has to lose to DAL)

St. FX 5th (27 pts)
- 3pts behind Moncton and 2pts in front of UPEI
- could get to 4th, but could also drop to 6th
- StFX has no tie-breakers
- play host to SMU and @ ACD
(likely lose both and remain in 5th with 27 pts)
(need 4 of 4 pts vs #3 and #2 and Moncton to go 0-2 - that maybe a stretch)

UPEI 6th (25 pts)
- 2pts behind StFX
- could get to 5th or remain 6th
- UPEI has the tie-breaker over StFX
- play host to Moncton then @ UNB
(likely lose both and remain in 6th with 25 pts)
(needs to win on Wednesday and StFX to go 0-2 to move into 5th)

- Wednesday Night -
- A UPEI win means they are tied with StFX
or
- A Moncton win means they are tied with SMU
so, someone's going to be tied and if it's an OT Win, the loser is 1pt closer to the guy in front of them - nuts. Tough for either UPEI or Moncton to get more than 2pts this weekend with their other opponent being UNB.

I know there can be upsets, but I can't see a path where this isn't UNB/ACD in the finals and SMU vs someone for the host spot. That maybe the real story here - the best of 3 for 'host' status (and to meet Alberta in game 1 - yupieeee).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad