2019 - 2020 AUS Thread

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I'm not gonna get into the "SFX bad, everyone else good", discussion. I've seen guys from every team do stupid things and it didn't have to be in a lop-sided game, so I'll leave that.
Regarding Maskaant, I believe there is a provision for an additional suspension for accumulation of either GM or suspensions. I'm too lazy to scroll thru the rules, but I know someone will.

And I thank them in advance....

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Regarding Maskaant, I believe there is a provision for an additional suspension for accumulation of either GM or suspensions. I'm too lazy to scroll thru the rules, but I know someone will.

And I thank them in advance....
Here you go!
15. ACCUMULATED MINOR PENALTIES (CHECKING FROM BEHIND AND CHECKING TO THE HEAD)

15.1 In Atlantic University Sport hockey, minor penalties for checking from behind and checking to the head will be tracked by the sport chair and shall accumulate together.

Players will be suspended once they reach the thresholds identified below and as defined by the stipulations below:

a. A total of three (3) two minute minors for checking from behind and/or checking to the head = one (1) game suspension.

b. A total of four (4) or more two minute minors for checking from behind and/or checking to the head = two (2) game suspension.

c. A total of five (5) or more two minute minors for checking from behind and/or checking to the head = suspended indefinitely until reviewed by sport chair.

d. All penalties accumulated by players will carry over into playoffs.

e. All players will reset to zero at the start of any new regular season

Reactions: AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I saw that one. But I recall many years ago where George Dupont from Acadia was suspended the 1st game of Nationals and I think it was for having too many suspended games during the season, but I could be wrong.

Right now, Maskaant is (I almost said 'skating on thin ice'), and needs to be aware. He plays a physical game and because of that and his size, he's a target of sorts for refs.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
X is going to surprise me big time, if they get to Nationals. Just can't see them getting there this year, but that how I felt last year. No Marchand and Cooke and it is showing in the standings.
It will be a big disappointment if SMU doesn't get in, since the UCup is being hosted in their own city.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
X is going to surprise me big time, if they get to Nationals. Just can't see them getting there this year, but that how I felt last year. No Marchand and Cooke and it is showing in the standings.
It will be a big disappointment if SMU doesn't get in, since the UCup is being hosted in their own city.

SMU needs to win 2 playoff rounds to get a spot. I think we can all agree that UNB is most likely in.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Just imagine how good they would have been if they kept Garlent and Coughland from last season.

I don’t think anyone expected Garlent back, but Coughler and Berisha leaving when they did really put SMU in a bind this year. To their credit they have been pretty good overall, minus the odd stinker.

I haven’t noticed, is Peters back for them yet?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I don’t think anyone expected Garlent back, but Coughler and Berisha leaving when they did really put SMU in a bind this year. To their credit they have been pretty good overall, minus the odd stinker.

I haven’t noticed, is Peters back for them yet?

Those 2 guys leaving was a bit of a surprise. Peters is "day to day". He was supposed to play last weekend, but is not quite there. I don't really know the facts and if I did I wouldn't post it here.

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
I saw that one. But I recall many years ago where George Dupont from Acadia was suspended the 1st game of Nationals and I think it was for having too many suspended games during the season, but I could be wrong.

Right now, Maskaant is (I almost said 'skating on thin ice'), and needs to be aware. He plays a physical game and because of that and his size, he's a target of sorts for refs.
Yes, 1992, Colin Gregor, Mark MacFarlane, and Scott Farrell Acadia, wasn't George. They had a big dust up in PEI, game 2 of the AUAA Final. Funny thing, Gregor scored in OT of the game to get the win. So it was after the game when all was said and done. MacFarlane and Farrell, yeah, a loss, but Gregor was the big one. Hard to chose between him, Dupont, and Batherson up front on that Acadia team. Talking to few Guelph guys in 1993 who say Acadia should have won that game they ended up losing in 92, the final vs Alberta. Well the next year, with no loss of players, they sure did.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Curious to see if any of the scheduled games will go ahead tonight, the Confederation Bridge is currently restricted to high sided vehicles and there is a report that the Cobequid pass is currently closed as well. I sure that the pass should be open later today. but not sure about the bridge.

Reactions: Rob

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Curious to see if any of the scheduled games will go ahead tonight, the Confederation Bridge is currently restricted to high sided vehicles and there is a report that the Cobequid pass is currently closed as well. I sure that the pass should be open later today. but not sure about the bridge.
This one I expected, UPEI vs DAL has been postponed.

HockeyPuck

Jan 6, 2016
I was watching the Moncton/SMU game on AUSTV yesterday and I have to give credit to the whole Moncton team/staff here. I've been following them a little bit less this year compare to previous years. You look at their roster and it's amazing how they are able to compete every night. Deslauriers and Michaud were out yesterday (don't know why). St-Cyr is leading the team offensively but after that, no one. Defensively they are pretty good though but still a young squad. Goalie, well, the best no doubt in the CIS.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
So with UNB's win and Acadia's loss the Reds now have cemented first place with a 5 point lead. Axemen should still finish second though.
Only spots that are likely to move are 3-5 with SMU, Moncton and X.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Another loss for the Axemen, their 4th in a row. That pretty much wraps up 1st place for UNB.

SMU moves two points ahead of Moncton for third place. We will probably see the Huskies vs Axemen in the second round of the AUS playoffs.

Note - The postponed game between UPEI v Dal will now be on Monday night.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
SMU moves two points ahead of Moncton for third place. We will probably see the Huskies vs Axemen in the second round of the AUS playoffs.

Note - The postponed game between UPEI v Dal will now be on Monday night.

Dal has something like 5 games in a 9 day stretch coming up.

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
What a mess of a game that UNB/X game was...

I've watched UNB avidly for 20 years and that was quite possibly the worse officiating at the end of that game I've ever seen. St.fx player tries to fight UNB's new huge defenceman Connor Hall whom I'm sure would love nothing better but to pound the X player. Hall makes no attempt what so ever to fight back, likely knowing the consequences, and somehow manages to still get 5 and a game for fighting.somehow this has to be reviewed. That was unreal given the consequences of a game misconduct.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Just went and re watched the last few minutes of the webcast to see if my eyes were playing tricks on me. As a former official myself I try so hard not to get on the officials because I know how hard the job can be and how easy it is to miss something, but that was absolute BS!!!!

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Absolute gong show is about how you sum that game up, I am not sure how you get a fighting major without throwing a punch. Pretty severe penalty, as he will be gone for a minimum of two games, he got the fighting major and a second game misconduct I believe.
Found it funny that they played 5 on 4 for 20 seconds late, when UNB had two players in the box serving 2:00 minors, then went 5 on 3 at the first stoppage.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Getting a fighting major for getting rag-dolled and punched while laying on the ice is definitely a new one to me. Hopefully it gets reviewed and overturned.

I wasn’t paying much attention to the Goulet scuffle at the time but that didn’t seem like much of a fight either.

Pretty sure losing Hall/Goulet to suspension is a bit worse then losing Cormier/Difruscia.

I didn’t recognize one of the referees name from the box score...maybe someone new??

Reactions: Prov1X

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I didn’t recognize one of the referees name from the box score...maybe someone new??
I am not sure if he has done games in Fredericton previously, but I believe he does Moncton games. Must admit, first time that I saw a ref pretend to give a ten min misconduct and then ask him if he really wanted a misconduct..
I am not sure if the fighting majors can be reviewed or not, I have a feeling that it cannot be unfortunately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad