2019 - 2020 AUS Thread

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Went back and watched the replay as well...I don’t think Hall even threw a punch. Cormier, on the other hand, looked like he connected with a punch while Hall was laying on the ice. It would be ridiculous if Hall doesn’t get that fighting major overturned and him and Cormier receive the same punishment for that altercation.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Hey boys, that's the New-look SFX. There is no love lost between Peds and Gards. That goes back a few years and has not subsided.

Edit: I just looked at the video and have to say that you guys are over stating the incident a bit. Yes, Cormier DID punch Hall, but he had his glove on. I didn't see him with his gloves off. Hall didn't do much, but I can't see this overturned. I really can't understand why there were even fighting majors at all. They could have given double minors for roughing.

On another note, the webcast guys were "praising" Hall for not responding. I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot they would be accusing the SFX guy of turtle-ing.

Last edited:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
IMO, The X-Men are not at the talent level of previous years. When it gets out of hand on the scoresheet, as it has, many, many times of late (vs UNB), frustrations surface.
As far as Peddle goes, he has a history with Gards, Burns and also engaged words with Steinberg lately.
I will say that Cormier and Difruscia have had a history and at times it looks like their intention is not the best!

Reactions: AUS Fan

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Went back and watched the replay as well...I don’t think Hall even threw a punch. Cormier, on the other hand, looked like he connected with a punch while Hall was laying on the ice. It would be ridiculous if Hall doesn’t get that fighting major overturned and him and Cormier receive the same punishment for that altercation.
Very weak call, but this could be a no nonsense approach to fighting, stemmed from the Acadia/X line brawl's from last year?
As for UNB, they are deep enough on the backend, I don't think he will be a big loss next weekend. They still have Carroll and Gagne who can dress.

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
In the first Spears wanted to go, Cormier in the second. I was impressed at his restraint. He knows his value. And theirs. It was inevitable that someone would go at him late in game as they were looking for him every shift. Feel bad because I am sure he would have loved to drop ‘em yet he gets penalized for not dropping them. He seems to have drawn interest from most of league!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The annoying thing is those guys on X are nobodies (like Cuomo when he took out LeBlanc)...losing them to a suspension isn’t too concerning so what does St. FX have to lose trying to goad the opposition into a fight?

Cuomo - 2 assists in 35 career U Sports games
Cormier - 5 points in 59 games
Difruscia - 20 points in 88 games (which is surprising as he had good OHL numbers)
Spears - 26 points in 87 games

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
I didn’t recognize one of the referees name from the box score...maybe someone new??

I am not sure if he has done games in Fredericton previously, but I believe he does Moncton games. Must admit, first time that I saw a ref pretend to give a ten min misconduct and then ask him if he really wanted a misconduct..
I am not sure if the fighting majors can be reviewed or not, I have a feeling that it cannot be unfortunately.

For what it's worth I just checked the box score on the AUS site and it shows Lucas Martin and O'Shaugnessy. Martin was reassigned to do a Junior game in Moncton on Saturday and Ross Welner did the UNB game. He is posted in Moncton and does many of our games, along with Wildcats games too.

Reactions: Prov1X and Campy

WildWillie

Jan 9, 2019
I feel like some guys are really putting the blinders on when it comes to Connor Hall. He gets into it with someone nearly every game ( or at least the ones i've seen) and already has a 51 PIM's in 9 games. I agree he may not have deserved the fighting major, but he certainly had a part in starting it. When you start chirping constantly and playing tough guy, they may actually make you cash the cheque, even in a no fighting league.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I feel like some guys are really putting the blinders on when it comes to Connor Hall. He gets into it with someone nearly every game ( or at least the ones i've seen) and already has a 51 PIM's in 9 games. I agree he may not have deserved the fighting major, but he certainly had a part in starting it. When you start chirping constantly and playing tough guy, they may actually make you cash the cheque, even in a no fighting league.
Or, another view could be that it appears every team seems to have players attempting to test Connor Hall ever since he joined UNB, with the intent of drawing him into retaliation penalties? Or maybe just testing how tough he is? Or trying to tell him that he might have been tough in the OHL, but this is the AUS?

I have watched every game Connor Hall has played for UNB, and he seems to attract an inordinate amount of attention from opponents. Same thing seems to happen to Hawerchuk.

Reactions: dm8895 and Prov1X

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Dal beats UPEI 5-4 in overtime to mathematically keep their playoff hopes alive. Watched most of this one. Pretty decent game. Dal came back from two goals down in the third to tie it up. Panthers have now lost six in a row.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I am not sure if they are still in the process of putting the information on the website, but as it is right now, only Anthony Difruscia and Alex Goulet have suspensions listed on the AUS website, each with one game for fighting majors.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Cormier got 3 games for fighting/instigating.

If there is instigating, doesn’t that let the other player (Hall) off the hook for his fighting major?
That is the standard that has been applied previously, although that I was never able to find it in the rules. I am very surprised that an instigator was added because of video review, but I am still didn't feel as either were deserving of fighting majors. I still expect to see Hall having to sit out one game.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Pomerleau and Cianfrone also got a game each after video review. Not sure what that was from...Pomerleau missed most of the game so it must’ve been pretty early on.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Pomerleau and Cianfrone also got a game each after video review. Not sure what that was from...Pomerleau missed most of the game so it must’ve been pretty early on.
I believe that Pomerleau was for his hit to Spears, it was a hit to the head I believe. Cianfrone must have been the slash on Pomerleau, so I guessing that Pomerleau has an injury from the slash for the penalty to be turned into a suspension. Hopefully I am wrong.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Cormier got 3 games for fighting/instigating.

If there is instigating, doesn’t that let the other player (Hall) off the hook for his fighting major?

On the current Box Score, Hall only received a 10-min Misconduct.

If a player is involved in a fight with another player who does not engage in the fight, then this situation is defined as a "1-man fight" and when this occurs, the offending player is automatically assessed an Instigator. The Game Misconduct is as a result of the Fighting Major as all Majors come with a GM. He also received an additional GM (likely for mouthing off at the Ref, bench, etc). So... Instigator is 1 Game, Fight is 1 Game and the second GM is a game for 3.

In a 1-man fight situation, like above, but the 'attacked' player defends themselves by pushing back, but does not through any punches, then he is assessed a Roughing Minor penalty. This will counter the 2-min Instigator and will give him a 2-min rest in the box while his team still gets a 5min PP. This is what you normally see as it's rare the attacked player completely disengages or 'turtles'. It's easy to assess for the Ref and it avoids the dreaded 7-min penalty on the clock.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I believe that Pomerleau was for his hit to Spears, it was a hit to the head I believe. Cianfrone must have been the slash on Pomerleau, so I guessing that Pomerleau has an injury from the slash for the penalty to be turned into a suspension. Hopefully I am wrong.

I think Pomerleau may have got him with an elbow.

I have heard he has an injury, but not sure how bad. Hopefully McIvor is back soon.

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
On the current Box Score, Hall only received a 10-min Misconduct.

If a player is involved in a fight with another player who does not engage in the fight, then this situation is defined as a "1-man fight" and when this occurs, the offending player is automatically assessed an Instigator. The Game Misconduct is as a result of the Fighting Major as all Majors come with a GM. He also received an additional GM (likely for mouthing off at the Ref, bench, etc). So... Instigator is 1 Game, Fight is 1 Game and the second GM is a game for 3.

In a 1-man fight situation, like above, but the 'attacked' player defends themselves by pushing back, but does not through any punches, then he is assessed a Roughing Minor penalty. This will counter the 2-min Instigator and will give him a 2-min rest in the box while his team still gets a 5min PP. This is what you normally see as it's rare the attacked player completely disengages or 'turtles'. It's easy to assess for the Ref and it avoids the dreaded 7-min penalty on the clock.

The second game misconduct to the player is for "a second fight in the same stoppage of play". Goulet and Difruscia was deemed the first fight in that stoppage

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The second game misconduct to the player is for "a second fight in the same stoppage of play". Goulet and Difruscia was deemed the first fight in that stoppage

Right - I hadn't looked that far up. Should have seen that, but you're right. :thumbu:

StFX certainly not doing themselves any favours in a weekend where they only have 1 game (vs UdeM with two, albeit vs Acadia and SMU). They will be without Difruscia, Cormier & Cianfrone for their game vs UPEI on Saturday (basically a must win for them if they expect to catch UdeM).

Wasn't the big fight this time last year?

Last edited:

freddy123

Jun 30, 2013
Fredericton
StFX certainly not doing themselves any favours in a weekend where they only have 1 game (vs UdeM with two, albeit vs Acadia and SMU). They will be without Difruscia, Cormier & Cianfrone for their game vs UPEI on Saturday (basically a must win for them if they expect to catch UdeM).

I believe Difruscia and Cianfrone served their suspensions last night vs Dal. Neither played.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad