2019-2020 Around the League Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Just noticed Manning got suspended 5 AHL games for a racial slur. Of all the moves made in recent history the Manning trade is the most perplexing to me. Not because it was the worst trade ever but because the disconnect between what the fans wanted and what Chia did in acquiring Brandon Manning was crazy.

If you made a thread labelled least likely trades in NHL Manning to Edmonton would have been a common response and it’s not even like the move had any real chance of delivering a high reward for Edmonton. It only served to instantly frustrate fans. Adding Manning’s salary to a cap strapped team and losing a forward that at least showed some promise made it even dumber. Honestly the dumbest trade I can think of, the lack of awareness from Chia was comical and it’s gone exactly as expected.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'd rather attend a real game than see the All-Star game. Couldn't they go back to East v West where people actually try?

Reactions: Lastwind

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think the All-Star game in Florida makes a tonne of sense.

Personally I have absolutely no interest in travelling to any city just to watch the All-Star event.

But a trip to Florida in the middle of Winter, and toss in some All-Star activities into the trip and all of a sudden it becomes an appealing vacation.

Reactions: davpower

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Also, even though it hopefully wont matter much.... Doing a little playoff scoreboard watching lately.

All of the teams in the West lost last night that mattered. Vegas, Winnipeg, and Chicago.

So we should be heading into the all star break with a nice 9 point cushion on a playoff spot.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I was under the impression that every team gets 2 weeks off since the Avs don't play until next Saturday. I didn't realize some teams are back as soon as Monday. Man that's a long break. The team is going to be rusty coming out of it for sure.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
They'll regret it immediately when tickets are selling on craigslist for $9 and half the stadium is empty in the lower bowl. What a ****ty place to put the spotlight on the NHL.
A typical panthers game, yes you’re correct. But this is one of the few events/games that will be sold out and the organization will make good money on it. Tickets will probably not be cheap.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I was under the impression that every team gets 2 weeks off since the Avs don't play until next Saturday. I didn't realize some teams are back as soon as Monday. Man that's a long break. The team is going to be rusty coming out of it for sure.
That's just the timing of our buy week. I really dislike how the Avs have typically come out after long layoffs between games, but in all honesty it's probably a good schedule for us now with Rants and Landy obviously not at 100% health.

Who knows, this break is going to feel so long that Sakolowksi might even have the time required to develop the necessary medical technology to induce bradycardia into the corpse of Wilson. From there it's not inconceivable that a jump start using battery cables and Calvert could get Wilson back into some semblance of life again.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I hate the Wild a lot more than the Wings right now but I'm still gonna cheer for them to win that game tonight. I really don't want them to get a top-10 pick so....
Go CBJ and Wild tonight!!!!

Reactions: McMetal

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
How the hell would that dope know what the Avs want or don't want.
Really starting to dislike that assclown.
DNVR used to have a man with connection to the org...but then Dater left. For all the hate Dater rightfully gets, I know for a fact that he does have connections to the Avs front office. I just hope Ryan Clark is given the same access to the team that Dater has and runs with it because he's the best reporter we have covering the Avs right now and it's not even close.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Lol, man, reading the Oilers' board and their thoughts on Nathan MacKinnon potentially winning MVP just reinforces how salty that fan base can be.

It's like they don't believe a single player in the league can be near McDavid in that race or in terms of the "best player in the world" argument.

I'm not saying Nathan MacKinnon is better than Connor McDavid, but there's literally 4 points separating the two players. MacKinnon has also outscored him at even strength.

It's like they think there's this huge conspiracy to keep the Hart from McDavid.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I hate the Wild a lot more than the Wings right now but I'm still gonna cheer for them to win that game tonight. I really don't want them to get a top-10 pick so....
Go CBJ and Wild tonight!!!!
I also really want the Wings to break our "record" from the 48 point season, so any chance they get to not get two points is fine by me.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Lol, man, reading the Oilers' board and their thoughts on Nathan MacKinnon potentially winning MVP just reinforces how salty that fan base can be.

It's like they don't believe a single player in the league can be near McDavid in that race or in terms of the "best player in the world" argument.

I'm not saying Nathan MacKinnon is better than Connor McDavid, but there's literally 4 points separating the two players. MacKinnon has also outscored him at even strength.

It's like they think there's this huge conspiracy to keep the Hart from McDavid.

One of the most tired arguments around is "MVP vs. Best Player." We know what the criteria for the Hart is. If it was just "Best Player" then it'd go to one guy every frickin' year.

Oilers fans should just enjoy what time they have left with McDavid. We know what's happening in a year or so.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Was he really "snobbed?" There were concerns for sure but I don't think anyone was really saying he was going to be a bust or something.
Very few people were OK with us taking him at 4.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Very few people were OK with us taking him at 4.

I can kinda understand why though. Big kid, raw talent, some skating concerns. The Hawks taking him at 3 was the first surprise of the day. I thought for sure they'd be taking Turcotte, who looked a little more polished IIRC.

I guess time will tell. I think the Hawks messed up a bit keeping him in the NHL, but whatever.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Pretty sure he wanted Dach.

Same Dach who was snobbed on this board BTW, turns out he's looking pretty damn good so far.
This just flat out isn't true.

This is the same Kirby Dach who has 14 points in 45 games played, and prior to the game vs Winnipeg was going through a stretch of 1 POINT in 28 games.

The Hawks messed up keeping this kid in the NHL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This just flat out isn't true.

This is the same Kirby Dach who has 14 points in 45 games played, and prior to the game vs Winnipeg was going through a stretch of 1 POINT in 28 games.

The Hawks messed up keeping this kid in the NHL.

It is funny how pick expectations change outlook... both Hughes and Kakko are out performing Dach, and those two are busts and Dach is doing well.

That said, I think Dach is doing fine. He's playing much better defensively than I thought he would at 18 and is holding up physically in the NHL... the offensive talent will come through eventually (though I still think he may need moved to wing for that to fully come out).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad