Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If you’re gallant why would you do this?
He went to the scf two years ago and who knows about last year if it wasn’t for that insane ending to game 7 he’s not going to coach the worst team in the league in the midst of a 5 year rebuild

Gallant took on a Florida Panthers team that had mustered 66 points the year before he took over and a Vegas club in its inaugural season and was expected to be, at best, a bubble team. You seriously think he gives a damn where a team happens to be in the standings the year before he takes over?

Detroit has a proven GM at the helm and already has a decent amount of legit NHL prospects. Tanking now just means they're going to have yet another amazing player in the mix come 2020-2021. They also have roughly $23 million coming off the books this offseason, counting both RFAs and UFAs. And they're likely going to add some organizational depth when they deal away some pieces at the deadline as well.

Gerard Gallant played nearly his entire NHL career in Detroit, and even came back to play for the Detroit Vipers of the IHL (the same team Gordie Howe played his very last shift of hockey with) to finish it out. He's returned for alumni games as well. He has a lot of love for that franchise and I imagine if they asked for him back AND offered sufficient money he'd jump at the chance. He knows Yzerman is not a guy prone to knee-jerk reactions, unlike his previous two employers.

It may not happen, but I'll be the least surprised person around if it does. Personally if he has a choice between NJ and Detroit and doesn't take Detroit, I think he's crazy.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That's pretty much what they're on pace for.
If the season ended today, they'd pick 7th. So I wouldn't mind if they picked up a loser point here and there. Standings are tightly packed in that area though, two points would bump them to 11th.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If the season ended today, they'd pick 7th. So I wouldn't mind if they picked up a loser point here and there. Standings are tightly packed in that area though, two points would bump them to 11th.

Eh...they'll probably go on another mini-run or two, make it interesting. I don't see that team giving up, which is that very last ingredient for a tanking team. Hell, the Wylde last year really didn't hit the skids until they lost Koivu, Dumba, and (I think) Parise to injuries. They still have depth all over the damned place, just none of it is, like, awesome.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That’s the conversation people have been having about making it nicer for the players right there.
Yep. South Florida in the middle of January is probably the nicest place to go in North America.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I understand it's a popular destination for players and media, but my beef is why are they rewarding that franchise and fanbase? They draw flies nightly, and haven't been worth a shit on the ice for what seems like 30 years, but let's give them the AS Game?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I understand it's a popular destination for players and media, but my beef is why are they rewarding that franchise and fanbase? They draw flies nightly, and haven't been worth a **** on the ice for what seems like 30 years, but let's give them the AS Game?
Attract kids, hopefully make fans?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I understand it's a popular destination for players and media, but my beef is why are they rewarding that franchise and fanbase? They draw flies nightly, and haven't been worth a **** on the ice for what seems like 30 years, but let's give them the AS Game?
Trying to help them, perhaps? It's not going to work because ultimately it's a moribund franchise, like the Yotes.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Pretty sure that's precisely why they're doing it.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Breck Av

Jan 11, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Do the Kroenke's just not care enough to try and host events like this? Denver has never hosted the draft and last hosted the All-Star game in 2001, two seasons before Florida last hosted the ASG. And it was awarded to Denver prior to Kroenke becoming owner.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Do the Kroenke's just not care enough to try and host events like this? Denver has never hosted the draft and last hosted the All-Star game in 2001, two seasons before Florida last hosted the ASG. And it was awarded to Denver prior to Kroenke becoming owner.

While I am not the biggest fan of KSE let's not just assume that ownership isn't pushing for these events. There's no evidence whatsoever to suggest as much. And even if they were, who cares? Their focus needs to be about putting a winning product out on the ice and maximize accessibility for the fans. They've been doing just fine in the former, and, well, they're working on the latter.

It's also possible the league just isn't going to award the draft or ASG to an organization that's getting to host one of three outdoor games this season.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
While I am not the biggest fan of KSE let's not just assume that ownership isn't pushing for these events. There's no evidence whatsoever to suggest as much. And even if they were, who cares? Their focus needs to be about putting a winning product out on the ice and maximize accessibility for the fans. They've been doing just fine in the former, and, well, they're working on the latter.

It's also possible the league just isn't going to award the draft or ASG to an organization that's getting to host one of three outdoor games this season.
Pretty sure they have applied to host both. Ryker and Keefe were both talking about it yesterday pregame, and how they hoped Colorado would be announced as next year's AS Game location, and then both talked about how getting the draft here would be epic.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Vegas and Winnipeg lost to Eastern teams and Chicago is now down 2 - 0 to Florida. Things are finally coming up Milhouse.

Reactions: The Kingslayer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad