Transfer: 2019-20 Winter Transfer News, Rumors, and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
For someone not watching Spurs Live knows a lot about Spurs players.

Son with the support he would get at Liverpool would be amazing. Obviously Salah and Mane already are, but you cannot compare Son playing for a very average Spurs team the last 1.5-2 years to what Salah and Mane are experiencing at Liverpool. If Son had been the Liverpool player and Mane a Spursplayer I am pretty certain no Liverpool-fan would swap. Same with Kane. He is made for Liverpool.

Not that anyone not named Messi or Mbappe would significantly improve on the Liverpool front 3.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Son is a very good player. Best player on Tottenham for sure. But Mane is a Ballon D’Or caliber player; should have finished in the Top 3 this cycle. Would obviously take Son, but not over Mane.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Son is a very good player. Best player on Tottenham for sure. But Mane is a Ballon D’Or caliber player; should have finished in the Top 3 this cycle. Would obviously take Son, but not over Mane.
Yeh. I wonder if people look back on how much they made fun of me for saying Mane looked like he would be as good or better than Salah going forward after Salah’s record season. I thought it was obvious even back then just how good he was. He’s surpassed even Firmino IMO in terms of his importance to the offence.

Also I just don’t agree with the post above. I wouldn’t take Kane over Firmino for almost any team; same for Son over Mane. I don’t think it would bother me to have Son instead of Salah though (would much rather have Son with Salah and Mane though).

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
My point is that these things cannot be compared disregarding the team. Vertonghen was a rock last year. As van Dijk basically improves every player he plays next to Vertonghen would most likely have been amazing next to van Dijk. Not to mention Liverpool got a lot better full backs than Spurs these days (I miss the days when Pool had the likes of Moreno).

Spurs used to be 2+2=5 back in 16/17. Now it is closer to 2+2=3. And Kane is the one suffering the most. He is a goalscorer with some play making ability. He can't dribble past five players or run passed three guys on the CA. He has to be supported. He used to have that support at Spurs - now he doesn't. Still a fantastic player.

And this is where Klopp completely outshines Pochettino. Liverpool is 2+2=5. Most players just fit the system. Brilliantly built team. Better than any other squad in the world considering they haven't got the resources RM, Barcelona, City etc. got.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't think it's fair to say that none of Spurs players would get into the Liverpool side. I think Klopp could do a lot with a number of their players. But he's already shaped the players to what he wants, and I'm not sure it's as clear as plug Son in for Mane or Kane in for Firmino.

As for an objective comparison, that's particularly hard, but I think it's feasible that Ndombele finds a way into the midfield. But it might take a while to happen. For all the ability Keita has, he can't really get onto the pitch consistently (though probably that's related to injuries as much as anything else). So it isn't about talent or ability. How Ndombele fits in the lineup of the midfield would be interesting. Gini's play doesn't always blow you away, but it's hard to measure. I also wouldn't rule out either one of their central defenders pushing out Matip (though Matip is hurt right now). Though, Matip was certainly in peak form for most of the stretch run last year. I like Son a lot, and I wouldn't complain about seeing him in Liverpool, but he wouldn't touch the pitch over any of the front 3. Mane, his consistency finishing at times aside, does so much more on the pitch. He's been the best player in Liverpool's side for a bit now, and there's a lot of very good players. As for Kane, I mean, does he work as hard as Firmino does? Klopp would find a way to use him tactically, I don't doubt that, but in a straight swap, Liverpool with Kane are noticeably worse. Mane and Salah are not getting the freedom they have with Kane in there.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Kane vs Firmino 2 years ago is an entirely different story than Kane vs Firmino today.

Also lol @ Son being better than Mane. Son is a great player, but no.
Except I never said that, I said Son is as good as Mane is. Mane is becoming one of the most overrated players on this board, nobody is denying his talent, but the Liverpool monster has made him into the player he is..not the other way around.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Except I never said that, I said Son is as good as Mane is. Mane is becoming one of the most overrated players on this board, nobody is denying his talent, but the Liverpool monster has made him into the player he is..not the other way around.

Mane finished fourth in Ballon d’Or voting, so he definitely is not overrated here.

You also neglect that he was a large catalyst into making this Liverpool into the team it is. He was the first signing.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Mane finished fourth in Ballon d’Or voting, so he definitely is not overrated here.

You also neglect that he was a large catalyst into making this Liverpool into the team it is. He was the first signing.
Firmino came first, yeah?

(and players like Milner/Lovren/Lallana etc but I get not including them)

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Ask Messi and Hazard if they think Mane is overrated. This is a horrendous take. Mane is favorite for player of the year in the PL this year. If you don’t believe me check the betting odds.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Firmino came under Rodgers. Mane was Klopp’s first big signing. I think that is what LITN is going for.

Correct and Firmino didn't really reach this form until Mane was there. The first season Mane was there and got injured they went from first place to barely finishing top four. When I saw them live in preseason that year I didn't think they had a hope in hell of doing anything that season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Correct and Firmino didn't really reach this form until Mane was there. The first season Mane was there and got injured they went from first place to barely finishing top four. When I saw them live in preseason that year I didn't think they had a hope in hell of doing anything that season.
Sliding Doors Moment:

Liverpool beat Sevilla in Europa League Final to qualify for the Champions League and get Mario Gotze (who doesn’t turn them down due to no European games) instead of Sadio Mane

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Some Liverpool news from David Maddock who is Tier 1

Will try to sum up the good stuff

1. “Expect” a signing in January. Klopp is on board. Doesn’t say specifically who.
  2. Sancho is a realistic target. Would not come in at the expense of one of the other front three members at first. Front three may start transitioning out in 2-3 years
  3. Mbappé isn’t likely. Destined for Madrid. Too much money for LFC
  4. Doesn’t think any of front three go this summer.
  5. Lallana likely playing his last year and leaving. Wants Milner to stay.
  6. Expects a couple of big signings. At least one in January and one in the summer. Age 19-24 range. Not necessarily “superstars”.
  7. Not interested in Sander Berge, club rates Marko Grujic (remember him) higher and he is already LFC player. Funds better elsewhere. LFC still high on Aouar but very competitive (also where does he play for them)
  8. Harvey Elliott is the top young player. Thought it would Brewster but now he may need a loan to get back to fitness
  9. Tour notes. Expects “the East”, maybe USA
  10. Club wants to extend Klopp past 2022. Klopp may still want break. Too early to speculate on succession plan
  11. Shaqiri may leave in the summer if right offer
  12. Nike is done. Wants to make a big deal with announcement. Could coincide with January player signing.
  13. Glad LFC kept Lovren, but LFC will look at CB this summer (Ben White, Leeds/Brighton has been linked)
  14. No future at LFC for Karius
Parentheses are my thoughts.

Fun.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
We're gonna sign Sancho in January and he won't leave Dortmund until the summer where Liverpool can make tons of money on kit sales through their new deal. Like Keita. Just watch.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
We're gonna sign Sancho in January and he won't leave Dortmund until the summer where Liverpool can make tons of money on kit sales through their new deal. Like Keita. Just watch.
Don’t think that is unrealistic, but still think we need a player in January unless Leicester and City implode before the new year

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Don’t think that is unrealistic, but still think we need a player in January unless Leicester and City implode before the new year

I don't, unless we have a major injury of some kind before the end of that month. Man City also has some really tough fixtures coming up, to the extent that you pretty much couldn't plan it better.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't, unless we have a major injury of some kind before the end of that month. Man City also has some really tough fixtures coming up, to the extent that you pretty much couldn't plan it better.
City won 18 in a row last season and their schedule for the run in (after the first week of April game at the Etihad against LFC) is a complete cake walk. I’ll never count on them going away.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
City won 18 in a row last season and their schedule for the run in (after the first week of April game at the Etihad against LFC) is a complete cake walk. I’ll never count on them going away.

They'll go all in on the CL well before April.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They'll go all in on the CL well before April.
If they keep drawing the Oxfords and Port Vales like they always do (and the FC Basels and Schalke in Europe) that won’t really matter. Hasn’t mattered before.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You lot really take that seriously? It's so rigged and such a useless trophy to use in an argument IMHO considering how many times Messi and Ronaldo won it when other players deserved it more.
It’s rigged for the Messi’s and Ronaldo’s. Not for guys like Sadio Mane. It was a joke Mane finished behind CR7. That being said maybe it kind of balances out because of terrible examples of voting of both sides. As loopy as it may have been, it still matters to be in that conversation of Top 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad