Transfer: 2019-20 Winter Transfer News, Rumors, and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It’s rigged for messi? The guy who finished 5th last year? You guys are hilarious. Would love to know which ones he didn’t deserve.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It’s rigged for messi? The guy who finished 5th last year? You guys are hilarious. Would love to know which ones he didn’t deserve.
Oh Messi is never the wrong choice. But Messi and Ronaldo benefit from the perception that they are always the best uncontested. I think Virgil should have won this year, but I am obviously biased. But I don’t think Messi has ever robbed anyone.

Reactions: S E P H

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Oh Messi is never the wrong choice. But Messi and Ronaldo benefit from the perception that they are always the best uncontested. I think Virgil should have won this year, but I am obviously biased. But I don’t think Messi has ever robbed anyone.

I really think Sneijder had a real argument for winning in 2010. Again Messi is never the wrong answer, but Sneijder was INcredible that year.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
VVD had a great year but Messi was the only reason Barca looked like a treble winner. If Mane had the year Messi had he would've won the Balon and Liverpool would've build him a statue. There's standards and Messi is the benchmark. Always has been.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Almost easy to forget how special Messi is because we have gotten so used to it. Just unlucky for van Dijk. One of the best seasons I have ever seen from a CD. In many ways he should have won. Always in tournaments and these awards attacking players win (almost exclusively). Pretty silly of course as a defender can be just as good as an attacker (one can argue the best kids end up playing in attacking positions and therefore attackers are better - probably some truth to that). However awards should also go to the best player so...

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Don’t think that is unrealistic, but still think we need a player in January unless Leicester and City implode before the new year

Your team has an 8 point lead at the top of the table, 11 points on City, and you’re talking about either needing a new player or to have other teams implode...

I can’t imagine wanting to be an underdog that much that you are constantly underplaying your own team when they’re busy dominating the league a year after having one of the best seasons in history.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Your team has an 8 point lead at the top of the table, 11 points on City, and you’re talking about either needing a new player or to have other teams implode...

I can’t imagine wanting to be an underdog that much that you are constantly underplaying your own team when they’re busy dominating the league a year after having one of the best seasons in history.
Has nothing to do with wanting to be an underdog. It has to do with getting 97 points and not winning the league. Liverpool dominated Everton. They can’t keep a clean sheet and are winning a lot of one goal games. It’s not over yet. It’s only December.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
According to Nizaar Kinsella, Chelsea's shortlist is as follows. I do expect some crazy rumors with the ban lifted and a ton of cash to spend. I would think a high-end attacker and LB would be a top priority.

Sancho
Havertz
Berge
Werner
Zaha
Chilwell
Ake

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Has nothing to do with wanting to be an underdog. It has to do with getting 97 points and not winning the league. Liverpool dominated Everton. They can’t keep a clean sheet and are winning a lot of one goal games. It’s not over yet. It’s only December.

You're on pace for 108. It would be almost impressive if you don't hit 97 pts this season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You're on pace for 108. It would be almost impressive if you don't hit 97 pts this season.
Sure. There is nothing wrong about this statement. But again the rest of the top 4 teams are much better than they were where City ran away with it two years ago. Same as when Chelsea and Leicester won it. The top is more competitive now. Especially City, I think it would foolish to write them off.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Sure. But that doesn’t mean it can’t happen.
Sure it CAN happen. However it’s very unlikely. And you’re implying that lfc need another player in January to win or a city/Leicester implosion. Neither of which are a prerequisite for Liverpool winning. That’s what the posters above me are trying to tell you I believe.

city have already imploded and show no signs of righting the ship. I figure they will continue this shaky play until Laporte comes back. And if Leicester win it somehow then Liverpool have no one but themselves to blame for this choke job.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think the argument to be made for Liverpool buying is less about the league and more about being able to compete on all fronts. With the ridiculous fixture congestion, there's a fair argument that they should add a player if they're not healthy in some spots.

Now, Shaqiri and Lallana doing a job for the club makes it a little less mandatory, but I think a defender or a holding midfielder could be a suggestion pending on how Matip looks or to give Robertson some time for rest.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Sure it CAN happen. However it’s very unlikely. And you’re implying that lfc need another player in January to win or a city/Leicester implosion. Neither of which are a prerequisite for Liverpool winning. That’s what the posters above me are trying to tell you I believe.

city have already imploded and show no signs of righting the ship. I figure they will continue this shaky play until Laporte comes back. And if Leicester win it somehow then Liverpool have no one but themselves to blame for this choke job.
I need another player to feel comfortable because of the insane fixture list. That simple. One good game against the worst Everton team I have ever seen doesn’t change that

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Sure. There is nothing wrong about this statement. But again the rest of the top 4 teams are much better than they were where City ran away with it two years ago. Same as when Chelsea and Leicester won it. The top is more competitive now. Especially City, I think it would foolish to write them off.

Lol. Dude you guys are the best team in the league and are basically guaranteed a league title at this point(bar the biggest choke job ever). Enjoy it quit worrying this is a special moment for you guys.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't ever believe in guarantees this early in the season but I don't see any reason why Liverpool shouldn't win the title this year. They're the standard right now and have a collection of the best players on the planet fitted with some of the best role players. On top of this the team is very well balanced, has unity and cohesion to fall back on to go with all that talent and arguably the best manager in the world. They are favourites at this point for sure.

That said how can you compare Messi's season to van Dijk's? Like in a literal sense. They are so different as players and Liverpool had an historic season. van Dijk was just as deserving as Messi and really they should have 4 awards (one for keepers which already exists, one for defenders, one for midfielders and one for forwards). Like Klopp said...I can't think of another defender in recent memory having the impact and season that van Dijk just had. Messi is the best player ever but van Dijk was definitely deserving.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't ever believe in guarantees this early in the season but I don't see any reason why Liverpool shouldn't win the title this year. They're the standard right now and have a collection of the best players on the planet fitted with some of the best role players. On top of this the team is very well balanced, has unity and cohesion to fall back on to go with all that talent and arguably the best manager in the world. They are favourites at this point for sure.

Your pace will definitely slow down a little coming up, but not enough that anyone will catch bar them going on a 20 game win streak or something like that. I mean you guys probably end the season with ~100 and two losses maybe one? I mean you guys are having a special season, don't let this weird mentality get in the way of enjoying something historic.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You can have fun and be cautiously optimistic at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad