Transfer: 2019-20 Winter Transfer News, Rumors, and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There's zero incentive for Dortmund to sell him in the winter. And Watzke has threatened that the next player to try to pull a Dembele will stop getting games for the club, so I don't think the club is going to soften their stance on something like this as opposed to hardening their stance. Sancho has also given zero indication he will try to force a transfer in the winter.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
If a team is offering the fee you'd be looking for in the winter as opposed to the summer (where you were going to sell anyway), why not just sell?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Levy sold me this vision of not spending money on players? Right.

I don't believe Spurs will spend money on Fernandes. I didn't really see how he would fit under Pochettino even if Eriksen left. Under Mourinho there is certainly no room.

Unless Mourinho has picked out someone he knows he wants no matter what already now I don't think Spurs will buy anyone in January. Or at least not anyone expensive like Fernandes. I think both Levy and Mourinho are "opportunistic" by nature so if something pops up then (another van der Vaart etc.).

1) Can Dier step up as a DM? My guess Jose will use the next 6 months to decide.
2) Will Alderweireld and Vertonghen sign new contracts? My guess is yes - therefore no short term desperate need for a new CD. Sounds like Mourinho wants Foyth to play as a CD.
3) How close are Sessegnon and Walker-Peters? Where will Sessegnon play? Mourinho has already said he doesn't see him as a FB short term, but that he reminds him a bit of Ashley Cole so..
4) Will players like Lo Celso and Sissoko play in the "Ramires-role" from Chelsea? Or will he look for one more player in the Son/Lucas category?

There is more as well, but I think those are a few of the things Mourinho tries to figure out - and will influence what happens next summer.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don’t think there’s a zero chance Dortmund sell. But likely a low one.

maybe they decide they don’t want to deal with a disgruntled player. Part of getting talented youth to come play is being able to let them go when they want to at some point. If you’re a destination for young English talent who want playtime, you have to let them go at some stage or that pipeline can start to waver. Obviously not just with one, but it’s not a great look.

I think what’s more likely is the groundwork for a summer move is setup. Whether he moves is probably not going to happen.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
There's zero incentive for Dortmund to sell him in the winter. And Watzke has threatened that the next player to try to pull a Dembele will stop getting games for the club, so I don't think the club is going to soften their stance on something like this as opposed to hardening their stance. Sancho has also given zero indication he will try to force a transfer in the winter.

I mean, you could both be right and they could still be making a deal now that doesn't see him move until the summer.

Edit: aha, just saw Chimaera beat me to it

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, I could easily see a deal being made in the Winter, but he finishes the season at Dortmund. Chelsea has a ton of cash to play with and a need for a real superstar.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They might have money to spend, but just as he might struggle to see where he fits in with the attack of Liverpool, does he really fit in with Chelsea?

They spent a lot of money on Pulisic. Hudson-Odoi also didn't stay without at least some assurances that he'd get time from Lampard. I know Pedro and Willian might not be long for the lineup, but they're still key parts of a Chelsea squad for now (though, I know that for some reason Barca keeps being linked with Willian).

I think if the money is equivalent, Chelsea and Liverpool both have to get creative about where the player fits.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They might have money to spend, but just as he might struggle to see where he fits in with the attack of Liverpool, does he really fit in with Chelsea?

They spent a lot of money on Pulisic. Hudson-Odoi also didn't stay without at least some assurances that he'd get time from Lampard. I know Pedro and Willian might not be long for the lineup, but they're still key parts of a Chelsea squad for now (though, I know that for some reason Barca keeps being linked with Willian).

I think if the money is equivalent, Chelsea and Liverpool both have to get creative about where the player fits.
Pedro and Willian are on their way out. Sancho would be the best of the bunch and all can start in a 4-2-3-1.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The thing working in Liverpool's favor as far as this goes is that he would be joining a great team. Which, as we know is often a major factor in signing players like him.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Pedro and Willian are on their way out. Sancho would be the best of the bunch and all can start in a 4-2-3-1.
Isn’t there already evidence that Pulisic and Sancho don’t play together. Seemed a rare occurrence at Dortmund

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Isn’t there already evidence that Pulisic and Sancho don’t play together. Seemed a rare occurrence at Dortmund
Different coaches can view players and systems differently. Pulisic has primarily been on the left her, Sancho has primarily been on the right. Pulisic could potentially be a 10, Lampard has hinted at it and 9 when Tammy was out.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Different coaches can view players and systems differently. Pulisic has primarily been on the left her, Sancho has primarily been on the right. Pulisic could potentially be a 10, Lampard has hinted at it and 9 when Tammy was out.
Ehhhhhh. Not really buying it but we would see. If they want to try to fit two players that may not be compatible together we can see isf Lampard can handle it. No one could figure Lampard and Gerrard out either which is the funny thing

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If a team is offering the fee you'd be looking for in the winter as opposed to the summer (where you were going to sell anyway), why not just sell?

His transfer value will only go up from the winter to summer. I would say the fee right now in December of 2019 is at least 100M euros. Dembele in the summer of 2017 went for 105+40 in add ons at age 20. Sancho will be the same age in summer of 2020 as Dembele in summer of 2017. And Sancho has played better so far to the same age than Dembele, so I would think that his value in the summer will be 150M euros at a minimum.

So I don’t see why it financially makes any more sense right now than in the summer. You also have to factor in that we’d want more now than in the summer because you’d be hurting our squad. You aren’t the only team trying to win your league. We also are. I would think there’s a significant amount of money added onto his value the clubs agreed on to account for this being done in the winter.

Is Liverpool going to offer upwards of 165-170 million euros for Sancho in the winter? Otherwise, it makes no financial sense for Dortmund.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t think there’s a zero chance Dortmund sell. But likely a low one.

maybe they decide they don’t want to deal with a disgruntled player. Part of getting talented youth to come play is being able to let them go when they want to at some point. If you’re a destination for young English talent who want playtime, you have to let them go at some stage or that pipeline can start to waver. Obviously not just with one, but it’s not a great look.

I think what’s more likely is the groundwork for a summer move is setup. Whether he moves is probably not going to happen.

I didn’t say zero chance he moves, I said zero incentive for Dortmund and Sancho has also given zero indication he’s going to try to force a move. That covers the reason why the team would want to get rid of him and the other likely option that could see him move is if he tries to push it through in the winter.

Dortmund has twice now caved on letting misbehaving players, Aubameyang and Dembele, leave on short notice. The club looked weak and were widely criticized. Watzke swore that the next time this happened, he’d react against the player instead of giving the player their way. We’ll see what happens, but at least publicly the club is taking a hard stance instead of a soft one.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I guess I can see how it works. But I have to think one of Pulisic or Hudson-Odoi plays less than they like to accommodate Sancho.

I also think Klopp might see him in a different position than one of the front three. But who knows. It’s a lot of money.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah, from everything I've heard he seems to fully understand the clubs transfer policy and he's fine with it.
So you've come to accept mediocrity? I mean I understand because Spurs can change their spots, but they're still the same species in the end. The problem though is that getting Bruno would make you lot a direct contender to the EPL title.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
So you've come to accept mediocrity? I mean I understand because Spurs can change their spots, but they're still the same species in the end. The problem though is that getting Bruno would make you lot a direct contender to the EPL title.

No he wouldn’t. They have a single player who would get into City’s or Liverpool’s teams, not as good as those teams at all. And that’s just how it is.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
No he wouldn’t. They have a single player who would get into City’s or Liverpool’s teams, not as good as those teams at all. And that’s just how it is.
It’s okay cause Arsenal don’t have a single player that would break into either of those teams and they can’t accept their “mediocrity.”

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Don't agree...

- Kane is better than Firmino, like easily and I can't see any debate whatsoever.
- Son is as good as Mane is.
- Alderweireld and Vetonghen is better than Liverpool's other CB not named van Dijk.
- Ndombele is better than Wijnaldum.

Also you can argue that an in-form version of Eriksen is better than whoever Liverpool's CAM is, if they played one.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Don't agree...

- Kane is better than Firmino, like easily and I can't see any debate whatsoever.
- Son is as good as Mane is.
- Alderweireld and Vetonghen is better than Liverpool's other CB not named van Dijk.
- Ndombele is better than Wijnaldum.

Also you can argue that an in-form version of Eriksen is better than whoever Liverpool's CAM is, if they played one.

Ndombele is the only one who would get into our team. The rest would not and Son is nowhere near as good as Mane.

Reactions: Luigi Habs

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ndombele is the only one who would get into our team. The rest would not and Son is nowhere near as good as Mane.
Lol and thinking Firmino is better than Kane. I get it that he fits your lots formation much more than superior players, but we're talking about on paper talent here. Kane is the better player and it's unbelievable that you cannot see that (that doesn't mean Firmino sucks at all, he's actually a very good player)...and I say this as a bloke who hates the Spurs with passion.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Lol and thinking Firmino is better than Kane. I get it that he fits your lots formation much more than superior players, but we're talking about on paper talent here. Kane is the better player and it's unbelievable that you cannot see that (that doesn't mean Firmino sucks at all, he's actually a very good player)...and I say this as a bloke who hates the Spurs with passion.

I don’t know what to say other than that you should spend more time watching a winning team. Firmino is better, there is a reason Liverpool doesn’t lose in the league. He is a model of consistency, effort, and creativity. There are also plenty of Spurs fans who would tell you Kane has lost something since getting hurt.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Kane vs Firmino 2 years ago is an entirely different story than Kane vs Firmino today.

Also lol @ Son being better than Mane. Son is a great player, but no.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I would take Son, but he’s not as good as Mane. Only one player in the PL matches Mane at the level he’s played last season and this and that’s de Bruyne (van Dijk I guess too but hard to compare to offensive players). N’Dombele isn’t better than Wijnaldum. Kane isn’t better than Firmino. I’m also fine with our defenders compared to Alderweireld/Vertonghen at this point.

Reactions: Savant
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad