Transfer: 2019-20 Winter Transfer News, Rumors, and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Your pace will definitely slow down a little coming up, but not enough that anyone will catch bar them going on a 20 game win streak or something like that. I mean you guys probably end the season with ~100 and two losses maybe one? I mean you guys are having a special season, don't let this weird mentality get in the way of enjoying something historic.
I dunno I haven't let anything get in the way of enjoying Liverpool's recent seasons. Even their bad seasons I enjoy; I just love the team and the game. That said I was skeptical last season because I knew what City were and I turned out to be right (about the title) and I was optimistic about the CL. This season is the first time I'm truly optimistic about our chances for the title and am fine declaring us favourites. Is there a chance someone else could win it? Surely there is, but I think it would be a real collapse this time if Liverpool don't win given what they've done and are currently doing.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It would be a historical collapse by LFC if they don’t win this one.
The same was said last year and guess what I said the same as I would say now. Liverpool are competiting against the best ever team in English football with city. That City team went 16 straight wins to win by 1 pts. If anything this is FAR from over. That being said if in the next 2 months Liverpool can get up to 15 pts ahead I would be way more confident otherwise it is far from over.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Of course. But your posts don't make it seem like that is the case.
Just not trying to getting carried away before the calendar turns over.
Also I’m not thrilled LFC’s first game back after Qatar is a six pointer at Leicester. 8 points is a big lead until it isn’t, and things can change fast.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Anderlecht have signed New York RB right back Michael Amir Murillo
Good player. One of the better RBs in the league. I think he would do well in Belgium. I’m just surprised he’s the one that leaves. Their starting LB wants to leave too. Does Anderlecht have a hole at RB?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Your pace will definitely slow down a little coming up, but not enough that anyone will catch bar them going on a 20 game win streak or something like that. I mean you guys probably end the season with ~100 and two losses maybe one? I mean you guys are having a special season, don't let this weird mentality get in the way of enjoying something historic.

To give some understand of the space Liverpool have to slip up.

In the past 2 years of dominance City's best 23 game stretch came at the beginning of the 17-18 season in which they won 20 games, drew twice and lost once for a total of 62 out of 69 possible points or a 102 point season long pace.

If they repeat that again, they'll finish this year with 94 points.

In order to beat 94 points Liverpool needs to earn 52 points over their final 23 games. That's dropping nearly a point a game or effectively drawing every other game or losing every third game. That's playing at an 86 point season pace.

Even if you assume City only drop 2 points the rest of the season (22 wins, 1 draw) which would be pretty much the best run a professional team has ever had, Liverpool only need to play at a 94-95 point season pace (earn 57 out of a possible 69 points) to take the title.

Leicester has a little more margin, but I think pretty much everyone can agree they're playing above their heads now and it shouldn't be expected for them to keep this up for an entire season.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Even if you assume City only drop 2 points the rest of the season (22 wins, 1 draw) which would be pretty much the best run a professional team has ever had, Liverpool only need to play at a 94-95 point season pace (earn 57 out of a possible 69 points) to take the title.

Someone with a negative outlook would tell you Liverpool is currently doing better than that. 23 wins, 1 draw.

I agree with the last sentence of the post you quoted. I don't understand this mentality at all. Honestly, it's more likely that Liverpool has an invincibles season than it is that City fully eclipses them. Which is to say neither are terribly likely.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Someone with a negative outlook would tell you Liverpool is currently doing better than that. 23 wins, 1 draw.

I agree with the last sentence of the post you quoted. I don't understand this mentality at all. Honestly, it's more likely that Liverpool has an invincibles season than it is that City fully eclipses them. Which is to say neither are terribly likely.

City's stretch from the end of 16-17 through the beginning of 17-18 was better (24 wins 1 draw), but I didn't count that since it was over two separate seasons similar to Liverpool's current '24' game stretch.

And yes, I agree that it's more likely for Liverpool to have an invincible season than for City to catch them, but I'd place a large amount of money on neither happening.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Yup. I’m sure you guys will win the title with 96-103 pts this year. City/Leicester would basically have to win out to compete for the title this year.

Basically things look great for you guys.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
On the same level as us blowing a 3-0 lead on Anfield.
Don't think it will happen twice, they already choked it last year, and City is looking worse
Liverpool didn’t choke anything last season. City were always the favourites.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Leicester has a little more margin, but I think pretty much everyone can agree they're playing above their heads now and it shouldn't be expected for them to keep this up for an entire season.

I don't think Leicester are playing above their heads - consider their list of victories one by one:

Sheffield United (away), Bournemouth (home), late-stage Pochettino Spurs (home), Newcastle (home), Burnley (home), Southampton (away), Palace (home), late-stage Emery Arsenal (home), Brighton (away), late-stage Silva Everton (home), Watford (home)

There aren't many eye-popping results there, rather a good team consistently playing at the peak of its potential, suffering few injuries, polishing off more or less anything that crosses its way that gives off a hint of mediocrity or vulnerability.

The lesson of 2015/16 was: beat the dross, and holding your own against the big six is sufficient to challenge for the title if the big six all falter. Remember Leicester's record that season:

Versus the big six: played 12, won 4, drawn 5, lost 3, points 17
Versus the rest: played 26, won 19, drawn 7, lost 0, points 64

In comparison, by my calculations runners-up Arsenal took 18 points from their five traditional rivals plus Leicester, and 53 points from the rest.

Spurs' breakdown was 16/54, The People's Billionaires 9/57, The Fallen Empire 20/46, Liverpool 17/43, Chelsea 12/38

As with that campaign Leicester has so far stayed healthy, a factor which can hardly be counted upon over the rest of the season.

In 2015/16 Ranieri made them more defensive roughly halfway through the season. We'll see whether Rodgers has any adjustments up his sleeve if opponents turn out to have spotted weaknesses that they target when all the teams play each other a second time.

Manifestly, the great obstacle Leicester face is that up to this point, 2019/20 Liverpool is a far superior points-gathering machine to any of the established contenders of four years ago.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sounds a lot like Dortmund will be bringing in a striker in the winter. Bild is insistent that Haaland to Dortmund is likely. The release clause is apparently only 20M. Kicker, a more reliable source, says that there's interest and a transfer could happen, but is more unlikely. It seems like Giroud on loan would be the main back up option, which I wouldn't mind either.

Some newspaper in Argentina claims we are going to sign Tagliafico for 60M euros. I think this is one of the worst rumors I've seen in the last year. We certainly aren't going to set our transfer record by 23 million on a LB. We might sign a LB, but unless Tagliafico is coming in between 30-40M euros, its not happening.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sounds a lot like Dortmund will be bringing in a striker in the winter. Bild is insistent that Haaland to Dortmund is likely. The release clause is apparently only 20M. Kicker, a more reliable source, says that there's interest and a transfer could happen, but is more unlikely. It seems like Giroud on loan would be the main back up option, which I wouldn't mind either.

Some newspaper in Argentina claims we are going to sign Tagliafico for 60M euros. I think this is one of the worst rumors I've seen in the last year. We certainly aren't going to set our transfer record by 23 million on a LB. We might sign a LB, but unless Tagliafico is coming in between 30-40M euros, its not happening.
I just can’t see the RB organization giving one the best young strikers in the world to a rival of their biggest team. I think they give him to Leipzig or sell him outside the Bundesliga before Dortmund. I mean I could entirely be wrong, there’s no doubt about that and it’s just my opinion.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
On the same level as us blowing a 3-0 lead on Anfield.
Don't think it will happen twice, they already choked it last year, and City is looking worse
97 points is not choking. Not finishing unbeaten is not choking. Man City is just very very good

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I just can’t see the RB organization giving one the best young strikers in the world to a rival of their biggest team. I think they give him to Leipzig or sell him outside the Bundesliga before Dortmund. I mean I could entirely be wrong, there’s no doubt about that and it’s just my opinion.

If the release clause is paid, it's not their choice.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It is if it’s “paid” by Leipzig too.

I'm right there with anyone that says what Red Bull does with their teams is shady, but I don't think one of the biggest young talents in the sport going to RB Leipzig to not play is going to be something that they get away with because another team in the Bundesliga wants to sign Haaland. If RB Leipzig wants Haaland in the winter and he'll play, I can definitely see him being shuffled to that team. Otherwise, I think Haaland is a player that will go elsewhere. They let Samassékou go to Hoffenheim because they had no space for him. I'd consider Hoffenheim a bigger threat to Leipzig at this point than Dortmund. Not every good Salzburg player is going to be banned from signing in the Bundesliga, it's going to be that Leipzig gets priority if they want that player.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
OGS:

On operating differently in the market or buying your way to success

Do I look like I’m going to spend hundreds of millions of pounds on players we’re not sure of? As I said we need to rebuild, we need to change the culture. You want the culture with that hunger and selflessness that most of these players are showing.

You’ve got the McTominays and Rashfords and Lingards, the players that know what Man United is.

Don't deviate from a plan that you have set out and believe in what we're doing behind the scenes. Believe in the players, believe in the coaching staff, and, of course, believe in that we're going to add to this squad with some very good players with recruitment.

On acquiring squad depth

We keep on going in the direction we're going. We know that we need to strengthen the squad in depth and in quality, because you can see since I came in, Matteo [Darmian], Chris [Smalling], Antonio [Valencia], [Marouane] Fellaini, Ander Herrera, Romelu, Alexis, there are seven players there gone, with loads of experience.

We've signed three good ones, for sure, we've got some young ones through, but still the depth of the squad, especially when you think about all the injuries we've had, we haven't been able to have that consistency. But when we get them players in I'm sure that gap is gonna be closed. Sometimes you do change games from the bench as well.

As long as we're going in the right direction and we get there, that day when we do it is going to be be a very good day.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm right there with anyone that says what Red Bull does with their teams is shady, but I don't think one of the biggest young talents in the sport going to RB Leipzig to not play is going to be something that they get away with because another team in the Bundesliga wants to sign Haaland. If RB Leipzig wants Haaland in the winter and he'll play, I can definitely see him being shuffled to that team. Otherwise, I think Haaland is a player that will go elsewhere. They let Samassékou go to Hoffenheim because they had no space for him. I'd consider Hoffenheim a bigger threat to Leipzig at this point than Dortmund. Not every good Salzburg player is going to be banned from signing in the Bundesliga, it's going to be that Leipzig gets priority if they want that player.
My thought process is mainly just that with only a 20M release clause, Haaland will basically be able to pick his team. I mean you got all the big English teams that could use him, you got probably some teams in Spain, definitely some Italian teams, some French teams that could all use him.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Who’d have thought?

I was excited when we first got him. I expected him to turn into a really good midfield. He was mostly injured all of last season, I gave the benefit of the doubt. This season he's been complaining to media every week about his playing time.

He starts last week. He misses two tap ins, stupid fouls, shitty passes and lost possession most of the time. More or less the same thing today..... He has no right to complain!

Here's a video of the two tap ins he missed. He should be slapped out French style every time he opens his mouth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad