Speculation: 2019-20 Trade Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
So his age at 38, stat line of 4 goals, 17 assists and a +2 rating is much much better than Cogs age of 33, 15 points and plus 2? Seems like a lateral to me, unless somehow he signs with us for under $1 Million.
If only scoring was all that matter, yes 17p and 4goals is still better than 3 and 14.
This isn't golf higher is better when it comes to scoring but his overall play is better too

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Perhaps, but the +2 seems about even for a defensive forward. With both players in similarly defense oriented systems. Another Cogs advantage is durability, which counts for something. I know, its impossible to compare apples and apples.

And, as per my last post, and I know you aren't the one suggesting we sign Mikko, but I think teams in general just cannot afford to stock 3rd and 4th lines with even reasonably paid vets any more. I know most think Cogs are $3Mill is a bit above reasonable, but its not totally unreasonable.

The only argument for that this year is that perhaps, with COVID etc, is, the price for UFA may come down and teams may get relative value.

BTW, checked cap friendly, and for some reason, Cogs has a modified NTC, seems like he has a 6 team no trade list.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Well, Zucharello went the other way, so possible.

Between money issues and being one of the oldest teams in the league, I believe the Stars will trend younger, specifically making moves to do so, and yes, including Cogs if there is any way to get an asset for him, Sekera, and Perry being gone as UFA, Polak retired, and probably Johns on LTIR or retired. Dowling probably is an AHL lifer.

The replacement players are there, the salary is cheaper, and you do need a certain amount of roster change over from year to year. Actually, if Johns really is done, which I believe, it might be more likely to bring in a UFA D than FW. Maybe they stick with Hanley and Harley as the third pair, but that is a little scary.

I think Nill will either sign or trade for another D. It’s possible Sekera resigns also. Maybe Shattenkirk will sign for cheap again, but doubtful. Being in the finals will hopefully help us sign someone cheaper for a shot at the cup

If Johns is done, I’m wondering now if Seattle would take Oleksaik

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Given Jamie O's resurgence, I think it almost certain among their 6-8 potential D picks, no? Unless we give up more draft picks to not allow it to happen. Although, think I read where the rules have changed a bit on that.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Given Jamie O's resurgence, I think it almost certain among their 6-8 potential D picks, no? Unless we give up more draft picks to not allow it to happen. Although, think I read where the rules have changed a bit on that.
Last I heard it was the same rules as Vegas. Just seems GMs are going to refrain from it.
Like Vegas would be half as good without all the side incentives.
Most teams I think are going to accept they're losing 1 player and not give up decent prospects anymore

Reactions: serp

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Thanks for that info. Of course, I find myself wondering if we can trust the GM's to do that, just like we tend to think "no GM would throw that much money at X UFA." But then, it happens every year. I really didn't get it before. No matter what, you lose only one player. Would Jamie be that big a loss to the D? Probably bigger than any FW we might lose, but it could be overcome.

What FW do we have to protect? The Big 3, Pavs and Cogs have some form of NTC. Cogs should be up by the draft in June 2021, at least I hope. So, assuming we have to protect 4 others, Rope, Guri, Faksa (assume he is re-signed) in which case I would wager, depending on production next year, that Dickenson would be as attractive to the Kraken as Jamie O.

Ditto with Bishop, even with limited NTC, I think it governs, no? Maybe a good reason to sign Dobby for the extra year, with no NTC and hope maybe the Kraken take him.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Thanks for that info. Of course, I find myself wondering if we can trust the GM's to do that, just like we tend to think "no GM would throw that much money at X UFA." But then, it happens every year. I really didn't get it before. No matter what, you lose only one player. Would Jamie be that big a loss to the D? Probably bigger than any FW we might lose, but it could be overcome.

What FW do we have to protect? The Big 3, Pavs and Cogs have some form of NTC. Cogs should be up by the draft in June 2021, at least I hope. So, assuming we have to protect 4 others, Rope, Guri, Faksa (assume he is re-signed) in which case I would wager, depending on production next year, that Dickenson would be as attractive to the Kraken as Jamie O.

Ditto with Bishop, even with limited NTC, I think it governs, no? Maybe a good reason to sign Dobby for the extra year, with no NTC and hope maybe the Kraken take him.
Ntcs don't have to be protected only nmcs. And anyone who's contact expires that year doesn't need to be even if they have an Nmc

They only have to protect Benn, Seguin, Radulov, and Bishop and that's if they don't waive

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Last I heard it was the same rules as Vegas. Just seems GMs are going to refrain from it.
Like Vegas would be half as good without all the side incentives.
Most teams I think are going to accept they're losing 1 player and not give up decent prospects anymore

IRC every team that made move so Vegas wouldn't pick certain guys got burned by them some even extremely badly . The Florida one i will never get over

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
IRC every team that made move so Vegas wouldn't pick certain guys got burned by them some even extremely badly . The Florida one i will never get over

Anaheim too.

Columbus at least is excusable as Karlsson sucked before he got the Vegas.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Anaheim too.

Columbus at least is excusable as Karlsson sucked before he got the Vegas.

At least Anaheim managed to dump Clayton Stoner on Vegas even if giving up Theodore is bad. Florida traded Smith to Vegas so they would pick Marchessault ( coming off a 30 goal season ) and they could protect Alex Petrovic who is now out of the league . I know management was told to cut salary but come on they could've gotten more value for 2 top 6 forwards in other moves.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Oleksiak will be a UFA when Seattle is drafting so I doubt they’d risk wasting a pick.
Makes me wonder what the UFA rules that apply are, as well. Draft is slated for June 2021 last I read. Wonder if UFA will still start July 1 as is traditional, given this season delay, and what period for talking to UFA will be?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
At least Anaheim managed to dump Clayton Stoner on Vegas even if giving up Theodore is bad. Florida traded Smith to Vegas so they would pick Marchessault ( coming off a 30 goal season ) and they could protect Alex Petrovic who is now out of the league . I know management was told to cut salary but come on they could've gotten more value for 2 top 6 forwards in other moves.

Stoner had one year left at 3.25M. Moving someone like Theodore to get rid of that contract is abysmal no matter how you spin it.

Florida’s was worse but both players had just had rough seasons and Florida suddenly had an internal cap.

Neither are excusable for a number of reasons.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Minnesota was pretty bad too, giving up Tuch and Haula for a 3rd to maintain their defense that’s about to get broken up anyway.

Seattle is going to have it a lot tougher simply because teams will be more cautious and there are arguably fewer movable shitty contracts to go around.

Reactions: serp

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Minnesota was pretty bad too, giving up Tuch and Haula for a 3rd to maintain their defense that’s about to get broken up anyway.

Seattle is going to have it a lot tougher simply because teams will be more cautious and there are arguably fewer movable shitty contracts to go around.

Oh i agree . Vegas had the advantage of most teams not knowing how the expansion draft rules would look like which lead widespread NMC's that really hurt some teams. Anaheim had to protect Bieksa IRC which lead to them having to make a decision which defenseman to protect . They went with Montour and Vatanen who now are no longer on the team while Theodore blossomened in Vegas .

Reactions: LT

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Jared McCann signs for 2 years at just under 3M per.

Another good comparable for Gurianov and especially Hintz. I’m more confident we can keep these two under 6.5M total together.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
McCann isn't a good comparable. This is his 2nd contract coming off a 2 year bridge with very little production (prior to first contract).

For me ... this is more about Faksa. He is younger and had a bit better production. Both of these years are RFA years so they could have an impact with the arbitrator on a 1 year deal. Faksa does seem to play a bigger roll and tougher minutes, but it's not far off.

If Dickinson picks up on the offense, this is a comparable for his next contract. They both were pretty light scorers before signing bridges. McCann's production jumped the last 2 years.

Like I said though ... this isn't a great comparison though for Gurianov or Hintz.

Last edited:
Reactions: DieselPig

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah McCann is not a top 6 type of forward. Gurianov and Hintz are.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah ... if Dickinson can jump into the 15 goal range ... over 30 points next year .... he could definitely be in this range like McCann.

Even though Faksa's numbers dipped a bit this year, I'd be surprised even on a 1 year deal if he makes less than McCann. They have pretty similar numbers. Faksa put them up for 3 years before a little fall off this year where the whole team dipped. I think it was probably unlikely, but he might have made the 15 goal range if the season went 82.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Pens' fans seem to think quite highly of McCann...

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
He's still really young, and he's been on the cusp of being a 20 goal scorer recently. I think they brought him in to be the 3rd center, but I also heard something along the lines of him potentially moving to wing and bailing on him in that role. Maybe there is something out there about him getting an opportunity in an offensive role on wing.

I don't think stylistically he's probably completely comparable to Faksa as a shutdown center. I think McCann is probably closer to a Dickinson if Jason was to pick up his game and began hitting a bit more of his potential. McCann isn't a strong faceoff guy either like Dickinson.

That's why I'm more leery about this impacting Faksa. Even with a slight down year, Faksa is superior to McCann in an all-around, legitimate shutdown center role. They're both coming off a bridge deal, and Faksa was already making $2.4 million compared to McCann at $1.25. I was already assuming he would be at $3 million on a 1 year deal. This probably shores that up.

If you're already giving him $3 on 1 year ... the best practice might be the long term deal. It'll be interesting to see how Nill approaches it and what Faksa is willing to do.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
@serp posted this article in a different thread (different thing quoted as well), but I thought this quote was applicable as we discuss next year's roster.

"I played pre-season and I played in one of the playoff games and there was no comparison between the two: that game against Colorado was nuts," he said. "It was so much faster and so much harder than in pre-season. It just shows how hard it is to win a Stanley Cup. If every game is like that, it's an absolute grind to win it."

I just like the quote. He's been extremely honest earlier immediately after that game about his limitations. People talk about him being cocky, and that's the reason he'll be good. It seems though like he also has a healthy balance of understanding what he needs to work on. I'm hoping he's successful and sticks around next year.

There are also card games and plenty of Call of Duty: Warzone online with his junior buddies or fellow Stars defenseman Stephen Johns, who is apparently a pretty good gamer.

They never talk about Johns. Never commit on if he's at team events. I just thought it was nice to know he's getting an opportunity to be around them and be a part of the group.

Harley has found himself talking a lot to veteran D-man Andrej Sekera and on the ice, making sure he's bringing his 'A' game to every practice. The teen believes it is already paying off.
https://www.si.com/hockey/news/meet-the-only-teen-in-the-bubble

I don't think they can afford to re-sign Sekera and Khudobin, and it appears that Khudobin is the priority for Nill. Sekera has really turned it on though, and if he wasn't too expensive, he's definitely a guy that could pair with Harley next year if they wanted a veteran. It's nice he's taken advantage of his time with the vets.

Reactions: Magic Mittens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad