Speculation: 2019-20 Trade Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
Bishop can't exactly be relied on the stay healthy. Even if Dobby stays there's a good chance Oettinger gets in games . To throw him in as backup to a goalie who gets injured alot with so little experience is too great a risk imho .
Yeah, I get that. But with the cap being what it is, I'd really rather save the money. Depends on Khudobin's price/term. But if it's like 12 over 3 years or similar, I'd really rather take my chance with Oettinger.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm fine if it's not Khudobin, but you need 3 goalies this year. Oettinger is better than any league minimum veteran that you could get to split time in the AHL. I'd say his ROLE is actually harder to replace than Khudobin's ROLE. I'd much rather have a steady veteran that can push Bishop who is simultaneously being pushed by Oettinger.

Dallas isn't going to stop being a slow starting team any time soon. They need someone to hold back the storm. With the NHL adamant about 82 games at all cost, this is going to be a tight season with a ton of games in a short period. I'm willing to bet pretty significantly Dallas doesn't survive with Bishop, Oettinger, and Bow or a league minimum vet/2-way deal.

Nill has already expressed a strong interest in bringing back Khudobin ... something he rarely comments on ... so all signs point to this being in Anton's agents court. There are plenty of reasonable options though that may be a little cheaper and shorter term which could be acceptable. I don't think there's any version of this that goes well where Oettinger is penciled in as the #2. That's not a knock on him because I already expect him to be the #2 for stretches next season regardless of Khudobin re-signing.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I'm fine if it's not Khudobin, but you need 3 goalies this year. Oettinger is better than any league minimum veteran that you could get to split time in the AHL. I'd say his ROLE is actually harder to replace than Khudobin's ROLE. I'd much rather have a steady veteran that can push Bishop who is simultaneously being pushed by Oettinger.

Dallas isn't going to stop being a slow starting team any time soon. They need someone to hold back the storm. With the NHL adamant about 82 games at all cost, this is going to be a tight season with a ton of games in a short period. I'm willing to bet pretty significantly Dallas doesn't survive with Bishop, Oettinger, and Bow or a league minimum vet/2-way deal.

Nill has already expressed a strong interest in bringing back Khudobin ... something he rarely comments on ... so all signs point to this being in Anton's agents court. There are plenty of reasonable options though that may be a little cheaper and shorter term which could be acceptable. I don't think there's any version of this that goes well where Oettinger is penciled in as the #2. That's not a knock on him because I already expect him to be the #2 for stretches next season regardless of Khudobin re-signing.

Yeah I think talent wise, and how well he performed last year in the AHL you could say he could be the #2, but for the best development he needs to start in the AHL next season. He only has like 35ish pro games, let him develop further. Going into next season with Bishop & Khudobin again would be ideal and if you have to give Khudobin an extra year on the contract I think he earned it. One of them could be traded after next season.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
For sure wanting Oettinger in the AHL is about wanting to be deep at that position. For me it's not a question of if he can be the #2 it's more a desire that the #3 actually is good enough to be a #2 to survive what will be a strange season with a ton of games in a short span. Dallas is going to need 5 or 6 goalies this year if the AHL plays, which maybe I'm naive, but that seems likely. The ECHL doesn't seem like a strong bet for a season though.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This is an interesting contract. Like, Sean Walker in LA, he signs for a bit less than expected.

Aube-Kubel was close to a comparable to Dickinson in some ways. Dickinson gets $1.5 X 2 last year. This year Aube-Kubel gets $1.075 X 2. When you compare production and usage, it was pretty similar for both in contract years. Slight edge to Dickinson in usage. Slight edge to Aube-Kubel in points (PPG fewer games).

Looking good on RFAs so far.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
He use to write for USA Today prior to Hockey Buzz ... yes that Hockey Buzz. Media foks are hurting too.

Left wing Jake DeBrusk, Boston Bruins: It seems as if the Bruins are leaning toward trading restricted free agent DeBrusk, 23, rather than awarding him a hefty raise. It is perplexing, given that DeBrusk has 62 goals over his first three seasons. The Hurricanes, Predators and Stars are among teams shopping for scorers. DeBrusk is also young enough to fit into the Red Wings’ and Devils’ rebuild.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If Boston can’t afford DeBrusk, neither can we.

I don't think it'll happen, but Dallas absolutely could afford DeBrusk ... I think you're talking about cap there, right? I don't think they can afford the acquisition cost.

Radulov is a movable contract. I don't think they will, but if needed they could. All of the trade boards and trade speculation right now is emphasizing that teams are searching for small salary and they don't care if the cap hit is high (as long as it fits within their structure). That's Rads. He's due $1 million next season.

He's not going to Boston, and he's not getting you the assets to land Debrusk. If Dallas does shop for scoring, they could create the cap space.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Rads is interesting to me in that I assume he's back in Dallas. I think his playoff performance makes him more valuable in a trade potentially, but I don't think it necessarily makes him more valuable to stick around in Dallas. I just mean he doesn't feel like a traditionally Nill or even Bowness type guy. Those penalties have already seen him benched a few times in the season and playoffs. Dallas overall seems risk averse.

Like I said, I think he's back in Dallas this next season, but I wouldn't be surprised if they moved him either.

If they go big game hunting ... he's easily the guy they shop though. That $1 million salary seems to be in high demand next season. There's already a lot of speculation for guys in similar situations.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Again, while Rads had a statistically down year (like the rest of the offense, maybe cured with Bone's revelation that he should activate the D more) he also scored a half dozen of our biggest goals. Why do fans necessarily think a bigger name scorer won't have a disappointing season, a la Hall, Kessel, even Seguin, Benn, etc. If your actual salary to Rads is $1Mil, in a year when real money counts as much as cap money, what is the incentive to go get someone who MAY score a dozen more goals at about $500K per goal?

Sometimes, you have to in the real world sleep in the bed you made. In this case, there really aren't too many crackers in it to make it unreasonable.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Idk . How is his skating these days ? With the finnish presence on the team i wouldn't rule it out but i don't think so.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Anyone else get the feeling that once the wild announced they won’t be resigning Koivu that Nill will try to sign him lol

Dallas has a history of success in the Scandinavian countries and Nill has a track record of being interested in this type of veteran player, so yes, I could see that.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I’ve always liked Koivu, but his better days are behind him. I guess if he signed a one year cheap deal it wouldn’t be the worst thing. He’s good on draws If I remember

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I’ve always liked Koivu, but his better days are behind him. I guess if he signed a one year cheap deal it wouldn’t be the worst thing. He’s good on draws If I remember
Yeah and good defensively too. But he's a commodity we have tons of. Then again if we lose Faksa he'd be a decent replacement short term

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think his skating would be a massive issue with how we play most of the time. You can have that on the wing with a guy like Perry but idk . Not sure he'd sign with a division rival and especially the Stars . While it would be funny to see Wild fans reactions if that happened i don't see Koivu doing that if he decides to stay in north america. That part isn't even a given. He might go play in Finland for his final years

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Well, Zucharello went the other way, so possible.

Between money issues and being one of the oldest teams in the league, I believe the Stars will trend younger, specifically making moves to do so, and yes, including Cogs if there is any way to get an asset for him, Sekera, and Perry being gone as UFA, Polak retired, and probably Johns on LTIR or retired. Dowling probably is an AHL lifer.

The replacement players are there, the salary is cheaper, and you do need a certain amount of roster change over from year to year. Actually, if Johns really is done, which I believe, it might be more likely to bring in a UFA D than FW. Maybe they stick with Hanley and Harley as the third pair, but that is a little scary.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
But is he at 37 turning 38 in march after serious knee injuries ? Cogliano was much better at some point a couple of years back too
I wasn't saying go out and sign him I said if we flip Faksa he'd be a decent short term replacement while we wait on our next 3c in Dellandrea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad